independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Trump wanted Putin at G7 while knowing Putin had put a bounty on U.S. troops (updated)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 06/27/20 1:18pm

cborgman

avatar

upon further thought, it doesnt even matter if the taliban killed the soldiers.

even knowing the russian gov't put a bounty on us soldiers means he knew they were going to attempt to kill americans.

and trump did NOTHING to stop it. instead he made multiple attempts to aid them. FOR THREE MONTHS.

if true: treason. absolute treason. there is no way hes running again.

.

[Edited 6/27/20 15:44pm]

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 06/27/20 1:24pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

cborgman said:

upon further thought, it doesnt even matter if the taliban killed the soldiers.

even knowing the russian gov't put a bounty on us soldiers means he knew they were going to attempt to kill americans.

and trump did NOTHING to stop it. instead he made multiple attempts to aid them.

treason. absolute treason.

there is no way hes running again.

.

[Edited 6/27/20 13:21pm]

I hope this story rings loud and clear across all news outlets (even Fox) and Congress begins actioning this.

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 06/27/20 1:25pm

cborgman

avatar

Trump, Most Republicans Silent About Reports Russia Paid Taliban To Kill U.S. Troops

Jack Brewster Forbes Staff


As of Saturday, the White House and most Republicans had yet to comment on Friday’s bombshell report in the New York Times that a Russian military intelligence unit offered bounties to militants in Afghanistan to kill U.S. soldiers, even as Democrats sharply criticized the Trump administration for failing to respond.


Trump was briefed about the situation in March and the White House reportedly discussed a response, but no action has been taken.


The White House did not immediately respond to Forbes' request for comment Saturday, and declined to comment for stories that appeared in the Wall Street Journal and New York Times on the topic.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) was one of the few high-profile Republicans to speak out about the report, saying it’s “imperative” Congress investigate the report and for the “Trump Administration to take such allegations seriously” in a message on Twitter.




.

[Edited 6/27/20 13:26pm]

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 06/27/20 1:30pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

cborgman said:

Trump, Most Republicans Silent About Reports Russia Paid Taliban To Kill U.S. Troops

Jack Brewster Forbes Staff


As of Saturday, the White House and most Republicans had yet to comment on Friday’s bombshell report in the New York Times that a Russian military intelligence unit offered bounties to militants in Afghanistan to kill U.S. soldiers, even as Democrats sharply criticized the Trump administration for failing to respond.


Trump was briefed about the situation in March and the White House reportedly discussed a response, but no action has been taken.


The White House did not immediately respond to Forbes' request for comment Saturday, and declined to comment for stories that appeared in the Wall Street Journal and New York Times on the topic.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) was one of the few high-profile Republicans to speak out about the report, saying it’s “imperative” Congress investigate the report and for the “Trump Administration to take such allegations seriously” in a message on Twitter.




.

[Edited 6/27/20 13:26pm]

The press needs to not let up on this. And why did those dunderheads think that this would not come out?

It's 2020 - EVERYTHING COMES OUT.

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 06/27/20 1:37pm

cborgman

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

cborgman said:

Trump, Most Republicans Silent About Reports Russia Paid Taliban To Kill U.S. Troops

Jack Brewster Forbes Staff


As of Saturday, the White House and most Republicans had yet to comment on Friday’s bombshell report in the New York Times that a Russian military intelligence unit offered bounties to militants in Afghanistan to kill U.S. soldiers, even as Democrats sharply criticized the Trump administration for failing to respond.


Trump was briefed about the situation in March and the White House reportedly discussed a response, but no action has been taken.


The White House did not immediately respond to Forbes' request for comment Saturday, and declined to comment for stories that appeared in the Wall Street Journal and New York Times on the topic.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) was one of the few high-profile Republicans to speak out about the report, saying it’s “imperative” Congress investigate the report and for the “Trump Administration to take such allegations seriously” in a message on Twitter.




.

[Edited 6/27/20 13:26pm]

The press needs to not let up on this. And why did those dunderheads think that this would not come out?

It's 2020 - EVERYTHING COMES OUT.

oh theres no way the press is gonna let up on this. were going to see quite a bit of info more on this.


this is potentially another watergate, except more damning, less minions doing the dirty work, and it happened with one article instead of several.

its mind-blowing.

its a solid job of investigation and journalism.

.

[Edited 6/27/20 23:51pm]

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 06/27/20 1:55pm

cborgman

avatar

even fox news is reporting it.

https://www.foxnews.com/u...gence-says

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 06/27/20 2:01pm

cborgman

avatar

Rt.com (russia today) (aka the popoganda news site of russia for gullible americans) has a lovely essay up.

i wont bother printing the details, since i am sure someone will be around shortly to regurgitate it for us and then pretend they came to that conclusion on their own, but heres the headline and what to expect:

It is the US intelligence’s job to lie to you. NYT’s Afghan bounty story is CIA press release disguised as news


thanks russian media bots!

.

[Edited 6/27/20 14:22pm]

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 06/27/20 2:34pm

maplenpg

avatar

cborgman said:

maplenpg said:

Thank you for this thread. There is zero about it in the British press. I suspect Trump will brush it off as 'fake news' just as he does everything else. I've lost count of how many things should have had him kicked out by now. Mr Johnson also definitely has something hidden re Russia: he's gone to great lengths to stop the Russia report being published here in the UK. Wouldn't surprise me if he knew too.

the brits are only finding out now or very recently. trump waited 3 months to share this with them, and they have troops there.

It's front page news on one of our papers tomorrow. Be interesting to see what comes of it over here.

The Org is my playground and y'all are my playmates.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 06/27/20 2:36pm

cborgman

avatar

maplenpg said:

cborgman said:

the brits are only finding out now or very recently. trump waited 3 months to share this with them, and they have troops there.

It's front page news on one of our papers tomorrow. Be interesting to see what comes of it over here.

probably a scandal. the taliban were paid to kill brit troops as well.

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 06/27/20 2:37pm

cborgman

avatar

im guessing trump isnt taking it seriously, as he is retweeting as we speak.

stuff about bidens leg hair. that's not a joke. less than 10 minutes ago he retweeted a video about bidens leg hair. in the last hour he has retweeted 5 videos of biden.

not a word about the whole treason thing.


.

[Edited 6/27/20 14:40pm]

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 06/27/20 2:39pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

cborgman said:

even fox news is reporting it.

https://www.foxnews.com/u...gence-says


That's when you know it's getting real.


Swamp has manage to do a lot of damage in 3.5 years, but this may finally take the cake.


Treason is indefensible.

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 06/27/20 2:53pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

cborgman said:

im guessing trump isnt taking it seriously, as he is retweeting as we speak.

stuff about bidens leg hair. that's not a joke. less than 10 minutes ago he retweeted a video about bidens leg hair. in the last hour he has retweeted 5 videos of biden.

not a word about the whole treason thing.


.

[Edited 6/27/20 14:40pm]


People (including myself) are tweeting back about treason.... he is just trying to distract. He cannot grasp heavier concepts beyond leg hair.

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 06/27/20 3:03pm

cborgman

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

cborgman said:

im guessing trump isnt taking it seriously, as he is retweeting as we speak.

stuff about bidens leg hair. that's not a joke. less than 10 minutes ago he retweeted a video about bidens leg hair. in the last hour he has retweeted 5 videos of biden.

not a word about the whole treason thing.


.

[Edited 6/27/20 14:40pm]


People (including myself) are tweeting back about treason.... he is just trying to distract. He cannot grasp heavier concepts beyond leg hair.

its like a bizarre dream. it was just revealed the president of the united states has likely committed acts of treason, and his response it to sit on his phone, retweeting videos of biden and his leg hair.

i am fully blown away.

.

[Edited 6/27/20 15:39pm]

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 06/27/20 3:40pm

cborgman

avatar

remember about 5 or 6 days ago when trump accused obama of treason, because he insists obama spied on him, despite absolutely no proof?

makes a lot more sense now.

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 06/27/20 3:56pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

cborgman said:

remember about 5 or 6 days ago when trump accused obama of treason, because he insists obama spied on him, despite absolutely no proof?

makes a lot more sense now.



neutral oh, shit - that's right.... he's not seriously going to play the "well, he did it too" card is he?

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 06/27/20 4:00pm

cborgman

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

cborgman said:

remember about 5 or 6 days ago when trump accused obama of treason, because he insists obama spied on him, despite absolutely no proof?

makes a lot more sense now.



neutral oh, shit - that's right.... he's not seriously going to play the "well, he did it too" card is he?

theres nothing that idiot wont do.

also, how much you want to bet if he was actually being spied on that it was russia, and he blamed obama

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 06/27/20 4:06pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

cborgman said:

DiminutiveRocker said:



neutral oh, shit - that's right.... he's not seriously going to play the "well, he did it too" card is he?

theres nothing that idiot wont do.

also, how much you want to bet if he was actually being spied on that it was russia, and he blamed obama


If trreason is 100% proven - i would hope not even republicans can back this shit. My god.

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 06/27/20 5:16pm

PennyPurple

avatar

cborgman said:

PennyPurple said:

Move on, nothings going to happen, sweep it under the rug, same ole, same ole.


Nothing ever happens to the asshole, EVER.


If this SOB wins again, I don't know what is going to happen to AMERICA.

if this proves true, theres not a shot in hell he'll even run

I hope he doesn't....but they are not spending too much time on the story in the news.

A MASK ISN'T TOO MUCH TO ASK!!
JJPOPPYSBOMBSQUAD #OPINIONSMATTER
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 06/27/20 5:17pm

PennyPurple

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:


They say the office ages the president, in this case the presidency has aged a nation. disbelief

Agree!!

A MASK ISN'T TOO MUCH TO ASK!!
JJPOPPYSBOMBSQUAD #OPINIONSMATTER
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 06/27/20 5:17pm

cborgman

avatar

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 06/27/20 7:24pm

IanRG

PennyPurple said:

cborgman said:

if this proves true, theres not a shot in hell he'll even run

I hope he doesn't....but they are not spending too much time on the story in the news.

.

This is good - go in too hard or too heavy before the facts are reasonably corroborated and it can all fall apart on a technical error or if it is shown to be wrong, then those who went in too hard will be rightly discredited.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 06/27/20 11:07pm

cborgman

avatar

from fox news, oddly enough:

Lawmakers want answers from Trump Administration on reports Russia paid Taliban to attack US troops

Lawmakers on both sides the aisle in Washington want answers on new explosive reporting that a Russian spy unit paid the Taliban to attack U.S. troops stationed in Afghanistan.


Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., called for the Senate to vote on new sanctions against Russia.


"If Trump refuses to hold Putin accountable for funding terrorism against US troops in Afghanistan, then Congress must again step up," tweeted Menendez, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.


Sen. Lindsey Graham
, R-S.C., said it's "imperative" to get answers and urged the Trump administration to tell Congress what it knows about Russia's efforts to pay bounties to kill American soldiers.


"I expect the Trump Administration to take such allegations seriously and inform Congress immediately as to the reliability of these news reports," Graham, the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee and member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, tweeted.


The Times reported that President Trump and the White House's National Security Council were briefed on Russia's bounty rewards in late March. They discussed an appropriate response, ranging from making a diplomatic complaint to Moscow and economic sanctions, but the White House had not yet authorized a response.


The White House, however, said Saturday that Trump was not briefed on the alleged Russian bounty intelligence, but didn't confirm or deny the underlying reporting that Russia was giving out rewards to attack U.S. soldiers.


"The United States receives thousands of intelligence reports a day and they are subject to strict scrutiny. While the White House does not routinely comment on alleged intelligence or internal deliberations, the CIA Director, National Security Advisor, and the Chief of Staff can all confirm that neither the President nor the Vice President were briefed on the alleged Russian bounty intelligence," Kayleigh McEnany, White House press secretary, said in a statement. "This does not speak to the merit of the alleged intelligence but to the inaccuracy of the New York Times story erroneously suggesting that President Trump was briefed on this matter.”


During a town hall Saturday, former Vice President Joe Biden brought up the “shocking revelation” that Trump reportedly knew of the bounties for months and slammed the president for doing “worse than nothing.”


“Not only has he failed to sanction or impose any kind of consequences on Russia for this egregious violation of international law, Donald Trump has continued his embarrassing campaign of deference and debasing himself before Vladimir Putin,” Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, said. “He has had this information according to the Times, and yet he offered to host Putin in the United States and sought to invite Russia to rejoin the G7. His entire presidency has been a gift to Putin.”


Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., questioned how Trump could hold an amicable relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin -- even welcoming him to a G-7 Summit in America -- while his regime was reportedly trying to kill Americans.


President Trump was cozying up to Putin and inviting him to the G7 all while his Administration reportedly knew Russia was trying to kill U.S troops in Afghanistan and derail peace talks with the Taliban," Kaine, the 2016 Democratic vice presidential nominee, tweeted.


Rep. Mike McCaul, the top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said he's already reached out to the Trump Administration about a response.


If the reporting is accurate, McCaul said, "the Administration must take swift and serious action to hold the Putin regime accountable.”


McCaul said if a Russian military intelligence unit offered Afghan militants bounties to kill U.S. troops, it would "only deepen my grave concerns about the Putin regime’s malicious behavior globally."


Rep. Lee Zeldin, an Iraq war veteran, said he's requested additional information. "If this is true, that would be a severe escalation on Russia’s part," Zeldin, R-N.Y., said.


The reporting renewed Democrats' suspicion about Trump's relationship with Putin stemming from the Russian government interfering in the 2016 election campaign.


"Lack of a response by [Trump] suggests he may be beholden to Putin," Rep. Ted Lieu, D-Calif., tweeted. "[Trump] is putting US troops’ lives at risk by doing nothing. Having served on active duty, I find this behavior by our Commander in Chief to be unacceptable."


During the presidential race, Russia waged a social media campaign that favored Trump and disparaged Democrat Hillary Clinton and also conducted computer attacks to steal Democratic emails and release them publically. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation, however, "did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities."


-------

looks like this is gonna go a pretty bipartisan route, at least so far.

.

[Edited 6/27/20 23:10pm]

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 06/28/20 7:17am

PennyPurple

avatar

Was watching CNN last night, they spent exactly 6 minutes talking about it. 8:30pm-8:36pm. Then it went straight to COVID.

And does anyone believe that Trump didn't know a single thing about it? That seems to be the standard answer these days.

A MASK ISN'T TOO MUCH TO ASK!!
JJPOPPYSBOMBSQUAD #OPINIONSMATTER
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 06/28/20 7:22am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

PennyPurple said:

Was watching CNN last night, they spent exactly 6 minutes talking about it. 8:30pm-8:36pm. Then it went straight to COVID.

And does anyone believe that Trump didn't know a single thing about it? That seems to be the standard answer these days.


No one believes he didn't know. It's just another in a series of tresonist acts, just another day in the swamp.


Waiting to see if this story continues to grow and if a bipartisan effort is made by Congress ot get to the bottom of it.

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 06/28/20 7:28am

benni

avatar

PennyPurple said:

Was watching CNN last night, they spent exactly 6 minutes talking about it. 8:30pm-8:36pm. Then it went straight to COVID.

And does anyone believe that Trump didn't know a single thing about it? That seems to be the standard answer these days.


They usually deny it first. At least that's what Trump normally does, deny it, until he just can't anymore. Then he'll make a statement that he didn't know about it until later. Then it will be that he wasn't the one involved in the meetings, until someones outs him, and it will be, yeah, I knew about it, but they said it wasn't imminent. Then it will be, well, okay, yes, it was imminent and I knew about it, but the soldiers were so strong, I knew there was no way they could get close to our troops. Or however, he will word it, but you get it by now. 1. Deny outright 2. Mild denial 3. Mild acknowledgement 4. Strong acknowledgement but it wasn't against the law 5. Deflect.

@GeorgeTrue1 -- Alex's Jones's Razor - it's not that sharp
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 06/28/20 8:27am

poppys

benni said:

PennyPurple said:

Was watching CNN last night, they spent exactly 6 minutes talking about it. 8:30pm-8:36pm. Then it went straight to COVID.

And does anyone believe that Trump didn't know a single thing about it? That seems to be the standard answer these days.


They usually deny it first. At least that's what Trump normally does, deny it, until he just can't anymore. Then he'll make a statement that he didn't know about it until later. Then it will be that he wasn't the one involved in the meetings, until someones outs him, and it will be, yeah, I knew about it, but they said it wasn't imminent. Then it will be, well, okay, yes, it was imminent and I knew about it, but the soldiers were so strong, I knew there was no way they could get close to our troops. Or however, he will word it, but you get it by now.

1. Deny outright
2. Mild denial
3. Mild acknowledgement
4. Strong acknowledgement but it wasn't against the law
5. Deflect.

nod yes ma'am

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 06/28/20 10:47am

cborgman

avatar

benni said:

PennyPurple said:

Was watching CNN last night, they spent exactly 6 minutes talking about it. 8:30pm-8:36pm. Then it went straight to COVID.

And does anyone believe that Trump didn't know a single thing about it? That seems to be the standard answer these days.


They usually deny it first. At least that's what Trump normally does, deny it, until he just can't anymore. Then he'll make a statement that he didn't know about it until later. Then it will be that he wasn't the one involved in the meetings, until someones outs him, and it will be, yeah, I knew about it, but they said it wasn't imminent. Then it will be, well, okay, yes, it was imminent and I knew about it, but the soldiers were so strong, I knew there was no way they could get close to our troops. Or however, he will word it, but you get it by now. 1. Deny outright 2. Mild denial 3. Mild acknowledgement 4. Strong acknowledgement but it wasn't against the law 5. Deflect.

yup.

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 06/28/20 8:21pm

cborgman

avatar

and here comes part 2:

https://www.nytimes.com/2...uAyO5vDZGM

Spies and Commandos Warned Months Ago of Russian Bounties on U.S. Troops

The recovery of large amounts of American cash at a Taliban outpost in Afghanistan helped tip off U.S. officials.

WASHINGTON — United States intelligence officers and Special Operations forces in Afghanistan alerted their superiors as early as January to a suspected Russian plot to pay bounties to the Taliban to kill American troops in Afghanistan, according to officials briefed on the matter. They believed at least one U.S. troop death was the result of the bounties, two of the officials said.


The crucial information that led the spies and commandos to focus on the bounties included the recovery of a large amount of American cash from a raid on a Taliban outpost that prompted suspicions. Interrogations of captured militants and criminals played a central role in making the intelligence community confident in its assessment that the Russians had offered and paid bounties in 2019, another official has said.


Armed with this information, military and intelligence officials have been reviewing American and other coalition combat casualties over the past 18 months to determine whether any were victims of the plot. Four Americans were killed in combat in early 2020, but the Taliban have not attacked American positions since a February agreement to end the long-running war in Afghanistan.


The details added to the picture of the classified intelligence assessment, which The New York Times reported Friday has been under discussion inside the Trump administration since at least March, and emerged as the White House confronted a growing chorus of criticism on Sunday over its apparent failure to authorize a response to Russia.


Mr. Trump defended himself by denying the Times report that he had been briefed on the intelligence,
expanding on a similar White House rebuttal a day earlier. But leading congressional Democrats and some Republicans demanded a response to Russia that, according to officials, the administration has yet to authorize.

[...]

Though the White House press secretary, Kayleigh McEnany, claimed on Saturday that Mr. Trump had not been briefed about the intelligence report, one American official had told The Times that the report was briefed to the highest levels of the White House. Another said it was included in the President’s Daily Brief, a compendium of foreign policy and national security intelligence compiled for Mr. Trump to read.


Ms. McEnany did not challenge The Times’s reporting on the existence of the intelligence assessment, a National Security Council interagency meeting about it in late March and the White House’s inaction. Multiple other news organizations also subsequently reported on the assessment, and The Washington Post first reported on Sunday that the bounties were believed to have resulted in the death of at least one American service member.


The officials briefed on the matter said that the assessment had been treated as a closely held secret but that the administration expanded briefings about it over the last week — including sharing information about it with the British government, whose forces were among those said to have been targeted.


Republicans in Congress demanded more information from the Trump administration about what happened and how the White House planned to respond.


Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the third-ranking House Republican, said in a Twitter post on Sunday: “If reporting about Russian bounties on U.S. forces is true, the White House must explain: 1. Why weren’t the president or vice president briefed? Was the info in the PDB? 2. Who did know and when? 3. What has been done in response to protect our forces & hold Putin accountable?”


Multiple Republicans retweeted Ms. Cheney’s post. Representative Daniel Crenshaw, Republican of Texas and a former member of the Navy SEALs, amplified her message, tweeting, “We need answers.”


In a statement in response to questions, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader, said he had long warned about Russia’s work to undermine American interests in the Middle East and southwest Asia and noted that he wrote an amendment last year rebuking Mr. Trump’s withdrawal of forces from Syria and Afghanistan.

[...]
In addition to saying he was never “briefed or told” about the intelligence report — a formulation that went beyond the White House denial of any formal briefing — Mr. Trump also cast doubt on the assessment’s credibility, which statements from his subordinates had not.


Specifically, he described the intelligence report as being about “so-called attacks on our troops in Afghanistan by Russians”; the report described bounties paid to Taliban militants by Russian military intelligence officers, not direct attacks. Mr. Trump also suggested that the developments could be a “hoax” and questioned whether The Times’s sources — government officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity — existed.


Mr. Trump then pivoted to attack former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., who criticized the president on Saturday for failing to punish Russia for offering bounties to the Taliban, as well as Mr. Biden’s son, Hunter, who is the target of unsubstantiated claims that he helped a Ukrainian energy firm curry favor with the Obama administration when his father was vice president.


“Nobody’s been tougher on Russia than the Trump Administration,” Mr. Trump tweeted. “With Corrupt Joe Biden & Obama, Russia had a field day, taking over important parts of Ukraine — Where’s Hunter?”

[...]

John R. Bolton, Mr. Trump’s former national security adviser, said on “This Week” that he was not aware of the intelligence assessment, but he questioned Mr. Trump’s response on Twitter.


What would motivate the president to do that, because it looks bad if Russians are paying to kill Americans and we’re not doing anything about it?” Mr. Bolton said. “The presidential reaction is to say: ‘It’s not my responsibility. Nobody told me about it.’ And therefore to duck any complaints that he hasn’t acted effectively.”


Mr. Bolton said this summed up Mr. Trump’s decision-making on national security issues. “It’s just unconnected to the reality he’s dealing with.”

----

yea... this is not good.

.

[Edited 6/28/20 20:28pm]

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 06/28/20 9:53pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

neutral jesus.


I hope this part isn't for show:


Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the third-ranking House Republican, said in a Twitter post on Sunday: “If reporting about Russian bounties on U.S. forces is true, the White House must explain: 1. Why weren’t the president or vice president briefed? Was the info in the PDB? 2. Who did know and when? 3. What has been done in response to protect our forces & hold Putin accountable?”


Multiple Republicans retweeted Ms. Cheney’s post. Representative Daniel Crenshaw, Republican of Texas and a former member of the Navy SEALs, amplified her message, tweeting, “We need answers.”


In a statement in response to questions, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader, said he had long warned about Russia’s work to undermine American interests in the Middle East and southwest Asia and noted that he wrote an amendment last year rebuking Mr. Trump’s withdrawal of forces from Syria and Afghanistan.

[...]
In addition to saying he was never “briefed or told” about the intelligence report — a formulation that went beyond the White House denial of any formal briefing — Mr. Trump also cast doubt on the assessment’s credibility, which statements from his subordinates had not.

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 06/28/20 9:59pm

cborgman

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

neutral jesus.


I hope this part isn't for show:


Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the third-ranking House Republican, said in a Twitter post on Sunday: “If reporting about Russian bounties on U.S. forces is true, the White House must explain: 1. Why weren’t the president or vice president briefed? Was the info in the PDB? 2. Who did know and when? 3. What has been done in response to protect our forces & hold Putin accountable?”


Multiple Republicans retweeted Ms. Cheney’s post. Representative Daniel Crenshaw, Republican of Texas and a former member of the Navy SEALs, amplified her message, tweeting, “We need answers.”


In a statement in response to questions, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader, said he had long warned about Russia’s work to undermine American interests in the Middle East and southwest Asia and noted that he wrote an amendment last year rebuking Mr. Trump’s withdrawal of forces from Syria and Afghanistan.

[...]
In addition to saying he was never “briefed or told” about the intelligence report — a formulation that went beyond the White House denial of any formal briefing — Mr. Trump also cast doubt on the assessment’s credibility, which statements from his subordinates had not.

well, benefit of the doubt. i think the wisest move they could make is to start seperating themselves from him asap. hes a sinking ship thats gonna take them down with him if toure not careful. turning on him is the smartest thing they could do, and i think theyre gonna be desperate to get rid of him asap. trump is not an albatross anyone should want around their neck.



Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Trump wanted Putin at G7 while knowing Putin had put a bounty on U.S. troops (updated)