independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 4th Apr 2020 4:59am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > The Plot Against America
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/25/20 11:08am

jjhunsecker

avatar

The Plot Against America

Just started on HBO is a brilliant new series , produced and written by David Simon, creator of three of the best shows in television history ("The Wire", "Homicide", and "The Deuce").

Based on a novel by Phillip Roth , "The Plot Against America" is speculative fiction. Told through the eyes of a Jewish family in Newark, NJ in 1940, the story wonders what it would be like in America if Charles Lindburgh- a charismatic media sensation with no political experience, a penchant for cozying up to dictators, and who made blatant appeals to bigotry- actually won the Presidency over FDR in the days before America entered World War 2. His campaign slogan : 'America First" ... We know something like this could never actually happen, right ???

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/25/20 1:39pm

2elijah

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

Just started on HBO is a brilliant new series , produced and written by David Simon, creator of three of the best shows in television history ("The Wire", "Homicide", and "The Deuce").



Based on a novel by Phillip Roth , "The Plot Against America" is speculative fiction. Told through the eyes of a Jewish family in Newark, NJ in 1940, the story wonders what it would be like in America if Charles Lindburgh- a charismatic media sensation with no political experience, a penchant for cozying up to dictators, and who made blatant appeals to bigotry- actually won the Presidency over FDR in the days before America entered World War 2. His campaign slogan : 'America First" ... We know something like this could never actually happen, right ???


Lol, art imitating life.. right now.
popcorn
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/25/20 3:25pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

2elijah said:

jjhunsecker said:

Just started on HBO is a brilliant new series , produced and written by David Simon, creator of three of the best shows in television history ("The Wire", "Homicide", and "The Deuce").



Based on a novel by Phillip Roth , "The Plot Against America" is speculative fiction. Told through the eyes of a Jewish family in Newark, NJ in 1940, the story wonders what it would be like in America if Charles Lindburgh- a charismatic media sensation with no political experience, a penchant for cozying up to dictators, and who made blatant appeals to bigotry- actually won the Presidency over FDR in the days before America entered World War 2. His campaign slogan : 'America First" ... We know something like this could never actually happen, right ???


Lol, art imitating life.. right now.


Even stranger- the book was written like 10 years ago....
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/25/20 3:40pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

2elijah said:
Lol, art imitating life.. right now.
Even stranger- the book was written like 10 years ago....




eek

thanks for the recommend - will check it out

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/25/20 4:03pm

13cjk13

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

2elijah said:
Lol, art imitating life.. right now.
Even stranger- the book was written like 10 years ago....

Sounds too depressing, considering we're living the deplorable nightmare as we speak.

"If we had had confidence the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/25/20 7:14pm

poppys

jjhunsecker said:

Just started on HBO is a brilliant new series , produced and written by David Simon, creator of three of the best shows in television history ("The Wire", "Homicide", and "The Deuce").

Based on a novel by Phillip Roth , "The Plot Against America" is speculative fiction. Told through the eyes of a Jewish family in Newark, NJ in 1940, the story wonders what it would be like in America if Charles Lindburgh- a charismatic media sensation with no political experience, a penchant for cozying up to dictators, and who made blatant appeals to bigotry- actually won the Presidency over FDR in the days before America entered World War 2. His campaign slogan : 'America First" ... We know something like this could never actually happen, right ???


Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/26/20 7:28am

jjhunsecker

avatar

13cjk13 said:

jjhunsecker said:

2elijah said: Even stranger- the book was written like 10 years ago....

Sounds too depressing, considering we're living the deplorable nightmare as we speak.

So far, it gives a lot of insight into how history can repeat itself

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/26/20 8:04am

13cjk13

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

13cjk13 said:

Sounds too depressing, considering we're living the deplorable nightmare as we speak.

So far, it gives a lot of insight into how history can repeat itself

Well we already know how racist and stupid people are. We're living amongst 30 percent of a population that thinks this way. History is bound to repeat itself if the population remains racist and ignorant and misinformed by the like of Fox "news".

"If we had had confidence the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/26/20 8:25am

poppys

It's 30% of the 59% of eligible voters that actually voted in 2016. Don't make it any worse than it already is.

Trump supporters are still not practising social distancing in many states too. cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/26/20 1:01pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

poppys said:

It's 30% of the 59% of eligible voters that actually voted in 2016. Don't make it any worse than it already is.

Trump supporters are still not practising social distancing in many states too. cool



That is their misfortune.

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/27/20 8:43am

jjhunsecker

avatar

This is a great show. David Simon is a genius.

One of the main characters is a Rabbi (played by John Tuturro), who cozies up to Lindburgh and praises him and claims that he's not reaally an anti-Semite. I guess every group has their own boot-licking "Uncle Tom" type lackeys. One character says the rabbi's function is to "Kosherize Limburgh for the goyim"....To protect him from accusations of anti-Semitism....sort of a Jewish Candice Owens

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/27/20 8:49am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

This is a great show. David Simon is a genius.

One of the main characters is a Rabbi (played by John Tuturro), who cozies up to Lindburgh and praises him and claims that he's not reaally an anti-Semite. I guess every group has their own boot-licking "Uncle Tom" type lackeys. One character says the rabbi's function is to "Kosherize Limburgh for the goyim"....To protect him from accusations of anti-Semitism....sort of a Jewish Candice Owens


I am going to start it this weekend~

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/27/20 9:40am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

Just started on HBO is a brilliant new series , produced and written by David Simon, creator of three of the best shows in television history ("The Wire", "Homicide", and "The Deuce").

Based on a novel by Phillip Roth , "The Plot Against America" is speculative fiction. Told through the eyes of a Jewish family in Newark, NJ in 1940, the story wonders what it would be like in America if Charles Lindburgh- a charismatic media sensation with no political experience, a penchant for cozying up to dictators, and who made blatant appeals to bigotry- actually won the Presidency over FDR in the days before America entered World War 2. His campaign slogan : 'America First" ... We know something like this could never actually happen, right ???


I just read the book last summer or so. It was amazing how much it paralleled this administration.

Just gonna make a list of the bigger points in the book which most will find interesting (cuz I love a list):

A non-politician gets elected POTUS

Keeps US out of the pending WWII, lets Germany take over most of Europe

He mostly stays quiet with the press

He flies or goes wherever he wants when he wants often without alerting anyone

He's anti-semetic in his words and policies; it's a direct attack on Jews in America

He suddenly disappears later in his presidency, taking off in his plane when he abandons, and turns up standing next to Hitler; he's been a Nazi sympathizer the whole time almost being a double agent for the Germans.

Any of that sound familiar? It was a shocking read. It was published in 2004, well before anyone thought about pumpkin being POTUS. I hope the mini-series is just as good.


This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/27/20 9:49am

2elijah

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:



jjhunsecker said:


This is a great show. David Simon is a genius.



One of the main characters is a Rabbi (played by John Tuturro), who cozies up to Lindburgh and praises him and claims that he's not reaally an anti-Semite. I guess every group has their own boot-licking "Uncle Tom" type lackeys. One character says the rabbi's function is to "Kosherize Limburgh for the goyim"....To protect him from accusations of anti-Semitism....sort of a Jewish Candice Owens




I am going to start it this weekend~


Yep, that will be on my list of shows to watch. Thanks JJ.

I heard the ‘Man in the High Castle’ series is similar to that show. That one is an original on Amazon Prime.
[Edited 3/27/20 10:09am]
popcorn
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/27/20 10:31am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

jjhunsecker said:

Just started on HBO is a brilliant new series , produced and written by David Simon, creator of three of the best shows in television history ("The Wire", "Homicide", and "The Deuce").

Based on a novel by Phillip Roth , "The Plot Against America" is speculative fiction. Told through the eyes of a Jewish family in Newark, NJ in 1940, the story wonders what it would be like in America if Charles Lindburgh- a charismatic media sensation with no political experience, a penchant for cozying up to dictators, and who made blatant appeals to bigotry- actually won the Presidency over FDR in the days before America entered World War 2. His campaign slogan : 'America First" ... We know something like this could never actually happen, right ???


I just read the book last summer or so. It was amazing how much it paralleled this administration.

Just gonna make a list of the bigger points in the book which most will find interesting (cuz I love a list):

A non-politician gets elected POTUS

Keeps US out of the pending WWII, lets Germany take over most of Europe

He mostly stays quiet with the press

He flies or goes wherever he wants when he wants often without alerting anyone

He's anti-semetic in his words and policies; it's a direct attack on Jews in America

He suddenly disappears later in his presidency, taking off in his plane when he abandons, and turns up standing next to Hitler; he's been a Nazi sympathizer the whole time almost being a double agent for the Germans.

Any of that sound familiar? It was a shocking read. It was published in 2004, well before anyone thought about pumpkin being POTUS. I hope the mini-series is just as good.


whoa eek

thanks, TP!

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/27/20 12:10pm

sexton

avatar

2elijah said:


DiminutiveRocker said:


I am going to start it this weekend~

Yep, that will be on my list of shows to watch. Thanks JJ. I heard the ‘Man in the High Castle’ series is similar to that show. That one is an original on Amazon Prime. [Edited 3/27/20 10:09am]


I'm almost finished with The Man in the High Castle. In that show the 1933 assassination attempt on FDR is successful keeping the USA in the Great Depression and too poor to fight in WWII. So Germany develops the atomic bomb first and drops it on Washington D.C. The Allies surrender and Germany and Japan then divide the USA with Germany taking over the eastern half and Japan controlling the west coast.

Most of this is told in flashbacks with the series beginning in 1962 Nazi-occupied New York city.

I may try The Plot Against America at some later time. I'm all Nazi-ed out at the moment.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/27/20 12:56pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

sexton said:

I'm almost finished with The Man in the High Castle. In that show the 1933 assassination attempt on FDR is successful keeping the USA in the Great Depression and too poor to fight in WWII. So Germany develops the atomic bomb first and drops it on Washington D.C. The Allies surrender and Germany and Japan then divide the USA with Germany taking over the eastern half and Japan controlling the west coast.

Most of this is told in flashbacks with the series beginning in 1962 Nazi-occupied New York city.

I may try The Plot Against America at some later time. I'm all Nazi-ed out at the moment.


TMITHC is a great show. I like the shows that take another turn on history, sort of a "what if" approach. The Handmaid's Tale is sorta the same thing for me.

TPAA isn't all Nazi's. In the book, it feels just like... something sinister, mysterious. There's an anti-Jewish attitude in the U.S., but it's subtle at first. It more permeates the lives of the Roth family & their friends. It's a slow build-up. Lindberg sees Hitler as a hero, but it doesn't really delve into the war itself. It's more about the U.S.'s lack of involvement because of Lindberg. The Nazi stuff comes in more at the end and even then it's in short order. It's a human story about Jews in the 40s in the U.S., the struggle, the neighborhoods, just kids and family and friends, life in an altered U.S. It's not dystopian or anything like that. Since the U.S. isn't in WWII, it's sort of "life as usual" approach for a long time.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/27/20 2:05pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

sexton said:

I'm almost finished with The Man in the High Castle. In that show the 1933 assassination attempt on FDR is successful keeping the USA in the Great Depression and too poor to fight in WWII. So Germany develops the atomic bomb first and drops it on Washington D.C. The Allies surrender and Germany and Japan then divide the USA with Germany taking over the eastern half and Japan controlling the west coast.

Most of this is told in flashbacks with the series beginning in 1962 Nazi-occupied New York city.

I may try The Plot Against America at some later time. I'm all Nazi-ed out at the moment.


TMITHC is a great show. I like the shows that take another turn on history, sort of a "what if" approach. The Handmaid's Tale is sorta the same thing for me.

TPAA isn't all Nazi's. In the book, it feels just like... something sinister, mysterious. There's an anti-Jewish attitude in the U.S., but it's subtle at first. It more permeates the lives of the Roth family & their friends. It's a slow build-up. Lindberg sees Hitler as a hero, but it doesn't really delve into the war itself. It's more about the U.S.'s lack of involvement because of Lindberg. The Nazi stuff comes in more at the end and even then it's in short order. It's a human story about Jews in the 40s in the U.S., the struggle, the neighborhoods, just kids and family and friends, life in an altered U.S. It's not dystopian or anything like that. Since the U.S. isn't in WWII, it's sort of "life as usual" approach for a long time.

Probably the point is that fascism often creeps up slowly and incrementally, and most people barely notice it...while others pay the price.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/27/20 3:26pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

jjhunsecker said:


Probably the point is that fascism often creeps up slowly and incrementally, and most people barely notice it...while others pay the price.


Yep. And the thing is - and I don't want to turn this thread into a political debate - people on one side or another (usually whoever's guy is in office) blindly follow such things thinking it's a "new way of thinking" or "says it like it is," etc., when in fact they're getting dupped as much as anyone else.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/27/20 7:51pm

poppys

DiminutiveRocker said:

poppys said:

It's 30% of the 59% of eligible voters that actually voted in 2016. Don't make it any worse than it already is.

Trump supporters are still not practising social distancing in many states too. cool



That is their misfortune.


And possibly our salvation. Can you die of stupidity?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/27/20 8:51pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

poppys said:

DiminutiveRocker said:



That is their misfortune.


And possibly our salvation. Can you die of stupidity?


Not being insensitive because I never with death on anyone, but the short answer: yes you can, and they are.

I just tweeted the other day about a preacher who balked at the "hoax virus," got Covid-19 and is now dead. A church of 80 gathered the other day and 40 people including the pastor are infected. The stories are endless.

I kid you not when I say this: I tweeted at someone who said they literally believed the democrats called the Chinese government to engineer a virus to release in the U.S., despite it killing people in both countries and beyond, because they wanted to bring down Trump since the impeachment didn't work to get him out of office. Another woman said Covid-19 wasn't real and it was the devil's way to separate people and isolate them. She told people to go out and live their life. She sounded like these asshole millennials on spring break.

So their stupidity will play against them. they will get covid-19, and suffer for it. I hope they don't die, but I hope they suffer just enough to get the damn point that even God gave them common fucking sense. Christians will use "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" as a justification for paying taxes, but balk when the same figurative Caesar (the US govt) tells folks to stay inside for a few weeks of their whole decades long lives.

All this is really the only element missing in The Plot Against America. haha

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/27/20 8:51pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

To the OP: I started the show tonight. So far, it's following the book really well. I think I'm going to enjoy this a lot.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/27/20 8:56pm

poppys

TrivialPursuit said:

poppys said:


And possibly our salvation. Can you die of stupidity?


Not being insensitive because I never with death on anyone, but the short answer: yes you can, and they are.

I just tweeted the other day about a preacher who balked at the "hoax virus," got Covid-19 and is now dead. A church of 80 gathered the other day and 40 people including the pastor are infected. The stories are endless.

I kid you not when I say this: I tweeted at someone who said they literally believed the democrats called the Chinese government to engineer a virus to release in the U.S., despite it killing people in both countries and beyond, because they wanted to bring down Trump since the impeachment didn't work to get him out of office. Another woman said Covid-19 wasn't real and it was the devil's way to separate people and isolate them. She told people to go out and live their life. She sounded like these asshole millennials on spring break.

So their stupidity will play against them. they will get covid-19, and suffer for it. I hope they don't die, but I hope they suffer just enough to get the damn point that even God gave them common fucking sense. Christians will use "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" as a justification for paying taxes, but balk when the same figurative Caesar (the US govt) tells folks to stay inside for a few weeks of their whole decades long lives.

All this is really the only element missing in The Plot Against America. haha


What a great post!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/28/20 7:54am

2elijah

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:



poppys said:




DiminutiveRocker said:





That is their misfortune.




And possibly our salvation. Can you die of stupidity?




Not being insensitive because I never with death on anyone, but the short answer: yes you can, and they are.

I just tweeted the other day about a preacher who balked at the "hoax virus," got Covid-19 and is now dead. A church of 80 gathered the other day and 40 people including the pastor are infected. The stories are endless.

I kid you not when I say this: I tweeted at someone who said they literally believed the democrats called the Chinese government to engineer a virus to release in the U.S., despite it killing people in both countries and beyond, because they wanted to bring down Trump since the impeachment didn't work to get him out of office. Another woman said Covid-19 wasn't real and it was the devil's way to separate people and isolate them. She told people to go out and live their life. She sounded like these asshole millennials on spring break.

So their stupidity will play against them. they will get covid-19, and suffer for it. I hope they don't die, but I hope they suffer just enough to get the damn point that even God gave them common fucking sense. Christians will use "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" as a justification for paying taxes, but balk when the same figurative Caesar (the US govt) tells folks to stay inside for a few weeks of their whole decades long lives.

All this is really the only element missing in The Plot Against America. haha


Wow, what the heck is wrong with people? Can’t they see this is not a hoax?
popcorn
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/28/20 10:59am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

2elijah said:


Wow, what the heck is wrong with people? Can’t they see this is not a hoax?


They let politics become their religion. They are so blinded by their own agenda of power that everyone is can fuck off, apparently. Then when someone calls them out on it and says "hey, we're here, too," they get into ad hominem - calling names to avoid the debate. "Snowflake!" etc.

But like I said, the ones who think it's a hoax are probably the same folks who pick up rattlesnakes at a church service. I think even God thinks they're assholes in that moment. His grace extends way beyond anything I can muster for these covidiots.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/28/20 11:47am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

I'm into episode 2 now and this show is really good. I'm glad it seems to be playing out really well. The sets, costumes, props - it's a nice time leap back to see again.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/28/20 8:30pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

I'm into episode 2 now and this show is really good. I'm glad it seems to be playing out really well. The sets, costumes, props - it's a nice time leap back to see again.

So far, I really love it. I hadn't read the book, so it's all new to me

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/29/20 7:20am

2elijah

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:



2elijah said:



Wow, what the heck is wrong with people? Can’t they see this is not a hoax?


They let politics become their religion. They are so blinded by their own agenda of power that everyone is can fuck off, apparently. Then when someone calls them out on it and says "hey, we're here, too," they get into ad hominem - calling names to avoid the debate. "Snowflake!" etc.

But like I said, the ones who think it's a hoax are probably the same folks who pick up rattlesnakes at a church service. I think even God thinks they're assholes in that moment. His grace extends way beyond anything I can muster for these covidiots.


nod Sounds about right.
popcorn
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/30/20 10:08am

13cjk13

avatar

I started watching it and am having a hard time. All of the hatred, anti-semitism and nazi imagery hit way too close to home. It's like watching a Trump rally which I have no desire to do. It's disgusting that we are living through comparable bullshit like this now under this corrupt, hateful administration. People just never seem to learn from the past. I can't wait for this nightmare to be over.

"If we had had confidence the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/30/20 12:10pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

13cjk13 said:

I started watching it and am having a hard time. All of the hatred, anti-semitism and nazi imagery hit way too close to home. It's like watching a Trump rally which I have no desire to do. It's disgusting that we are living through comparable bullshit like this now under this corrupt, hateful administration. People just never seem to learn from the past. I can't wait for this nightmare to be over.



I totally understand. As a history buff, I find this depiction of the past fascinating. And amazed by the parallels to today. And remember, Roth wrote his novel more than a decade before this imbecile even ran for office
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > The Plot Against America