independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 23rd Sep 2019 5:07am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Another violent Chicago weekend leaves 5 dead, nearly 50 injured
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 08/14/19 3:12pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

dude, you are energetic for sure. In none of my posts did I say the gun shop was in Chicago. As I also did not say the guns came from rich peoples homes. Doing this kinda throws things off man. It confuses things...

It doesn't matter, the issue I'm looking at concerning Chicago is their I-Bond law.

thanks for the info, I'll read it after dinner

RodeoSchro said:



You'd better believe I have evidence! And I'm not one of those "debaters" who would tell you to do your own research.

BTW - there are no gun shops in Chicago. So whatever gun shop was robbed, wasn't robbed in Chicago.

And it DOES matter how crooks get the guns. If you stop the crooks' gun supply, you stop the gun crimes. That's pretty dang simple logic, wouldn't you agree? (Please don't reply with something like, "But there are so many guns now that what good would it do to stop the flow of more guns?" That's like saying, "We could treat your cancer but there will still be cancer cells in your body, so why bother?")

Here are all the stats you'll ever need re: Where Guns Used In Chicago Crimes Come From.

https://robinkelly.house....-come-from

(From Illinois Congresswoman Robin Kelly's congressional site)


There are no gun shops in Chicago, but the city is inundated with firearms.


Police have seized more than 5,600 illegally-possessed guns in Chicago this year alone, including 60 the weekend of August 3-5, when 66 people were shot and 12 killed between Friday evening and Sunday morning. <snip>

About six in ten “crime guns” seized by Chicago Police originated from gun shops outside of Illinois, according to a 2017 report issued by the department. Crime guns are defined by law enforcement as those that are “illegally possessed, used, or suspected to be used in furtherance of a crime.”


In about 95 percent of cases, the person found in possession of a crime gun is not the original purchaser of the weapon, the report said.

https://www.usnews.com/ne...urder-rate


WHAT ARE THE SOURCES OF ILLEGAL CHICAGO GUNS?


According to the Trace Report, about 40 percent of illegally used or possessed firearms recovered in Chicago from 2013 to 2016 came from dealers in Illinois. The remaining 60 percent came from states with less regulation over firearms. Indiana accounted for about 1 in 5 of these weapons, followed by Mississippi and Wisconsin. The report says these trends have been consistent over the past decade. In the same time span, seven gun or sporting goods stores in Illinois were the top 10 source dealers of recovered weapons in Chicago. Three others were in Indiana.

https://www.nbcchicago.co...16983.html


Nearly 60 percent of guns recovered in Chicago come from out-of-state dealers, with more than 20 percent traced back to Indiana, according to a newly released report on the city’s violence.


The 2017 Gun Trace Report released Sunday also showed that nearly a quarter of the guns recovered in Chicago were sold by just ten federally licensed firearms dealers (seven in Illinois and three in northwest Indiana).


https://www.washingtonpos...came-from/

But as a report released earlier this year by the office of Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) reveals, most of the guns recovered in Chicago came from outside the state.

Only 40 percent of the guns recovered in the city were purchased in Illinois, the report read, including hundreds purchased at gun shops outside city boundaries. <snip>



LOL, facts are important to me.

The OP and the next four posts were only about Chicago violence, not specifically the I-Bond, which is why I addressed the overall issue of guns in Chicago.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 08/14/19 3:16pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

RodeoSchro said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

dude, you are energetic for sure. In none of my posts did I say the gun shop was in Chicago. As I also did not say the guns came from rich peoples homes. Doing this kinda throws things off man. It confuses things...

It doesn't matter, the issue I'm looking at concerning Chicago is their I-Bond law.

thanks for the info, I'll read it after dinner



LOL, facts are important to me.

The OP and the next four posts were only about Chicago violence, not specifically the I-Bond, which is why I addressed the overall issue of guns in Chicago.

Important to me too

.

Actually I the OP did address it in my opening comment. The 2nd post is specifically about the I-Bond. I mean we can talk about general Chicago issues, but what is happening in this S side of Chicago is not a general all around problem in Chicago.

.

My opening post addresses the violence that happened/happens in this section of Chicago, the 2nd post address one of reasons I-Bonds that is specifically impacting the situation I opened with inthe first post.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 08/14/19 6:34pm

PeggyO

uPtoWnNY said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Chicago's Awful Divide

Americans are flocking to big cities to find good jobs—opportunities that remain disproportionately out of reach for the poorest residents already living there.

Alana Semuels

Mar 28, 2018

https://www.theatlantic.c...ty/556649/

CHICAGO—Americans hear a lot these days about the country's urban-rural divide. Rural counties are poorer; urban ones richer. Rural areas are losing jobs; urban ones are gaining them. People with a college education are leaving rural areas. They're moving to urban places.

Behind this divergence lies a straightforward story: The twin forces of globalization and technological change are enriching a handful of big urban areas, while resources are drained from the heartland, leaving it often devoid of opportunity and prosperity. But this neat division, rural versus urban, erases another part of the story of America's changing economy: the pressure that those twin forces are exerting within cities, pulling some people up to the very top while pushing others to an unforgiving bottom. In some prosperous cities, such as Chicago, where the number of wealthy census tracts has grown fourfold since 1970, people at the bottom are struggling as much as they always have, if not more—illustrating that it's not just the white rural poor who are being left behind in today's economy. The disconnect is why Andrew Diamond, the author of Chicago on the Make, has called Chicago "a combination of Manhattan smashed against Detroit."

Like many of America's biggest cities, Chicago has thrived in the globalized world—at least on a superficial level. The evidence is everywhere, from the gleaming office towers and condos going up alongside the river to the prosperous international companies like Motorola Solutions, the whiskey giant Beam Suntory, and GE Healthcare that have relocated their headquarters to downtown. In May, the unemployment rate for the Chicago metropolitan area sank to 4.1 percent, the lowest since the government started tracking it in 1976. (It has since ticked back up to 5.3 percent.) Almost one-quarter of households in the city of Chicago earned more than $100,000 a year in 2016, according to census data. These factors are part of why Chicago was one of just four U.S. cities to be named one of PricewaterhouseCoopers's "Cities of Opportunity," in its periodic report on places that foster economic innovation and "common wellbeing."

But this prosperity isn't filtering down to people like Brastell Travis, a 21-year-old who lives in the city's Englewood neighborhood. Many mainstream economists believe that it should: In theory, people who live in booming cities with a highly educated population will have more opportunities than those in rural areas because the successful workers in cities will spend money, creating jobs for less-educated people. For each new job for an educated worker in a city, five additional jobs are created for people like construction workers, waiters, and hairdressers, according to research by Enrico Moretti, an economist at the University of California, Berkeley. Someone like Travis, who has lived in Chicago his whole life, just miles from this growth, should be surrounded by good job opportunities.

Travis couldn't afford college, but he wanted a good, steady job with a solid paycheck, so he decided to become a welder like his grandmother before him. But after taking a 13-week course to get a welding certificate, Travis hasn't been able to find a full-time job in Chicago. He's currently piecing together two part-time jobs that both pay minimum wage. Part of the problem, he told me, is that kids that grow up in neighborhoods like his often don't know how to apply to jobs or where to seek out help. "I think there's not as many resources as there are in other neighborhoods," he told me. Meanwhile, because of where he went to high school, he can't apply for jobs in certain neighborhoods, because he could become a target of violence if he goes to the wrong areas of town, he said.

lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1533691929

Why are large swaths of Chicago's population unable to get ahead? There are two main reasons. The first and most obvious is the legacy of segregation that has made it difficult for poor black families to gain access to the economic activity in other parts of the city. This segregation has meant that African Americans live near worse educational opportunities and fewer jobs than other people in Chicago. City leaders in Chicago have exacerbated this segregation over the years, according to Diamond, channeling money downtown and away from the poor neighborhoods. "Public policies played a huge role in reinforcing the walls around the ghetto," he told me.

The second factor is the disappearance of industrial jobs in factories, steel plants, and logistics companies. Half a century ago, people with little education could find good jobs in the behemoths that dotted Chicago's south and west sides. Now, most of those factories have moved overseas or to the suburbs, and there are fewer employment opportunities here for people without much education. Chicago underscores that it's not just white, rural Americans who have been hard hit by the disappearance of manufacturing jobs.

These two factors have compounded each other, with people stuck in segregated neighborhoods, unable to access the education or job opportunities that could help get them out. Meanwhile, the middle-class black families that once sustained neighborhoods in Chicago continue to leave for even better opportunities—Chicago lost 181,000 black residents between 2000 and 2010, most of them middle-class people who could afford to pick up and move elsewhere—which further widens the gulf between the rich and poor.

The repercussions of missing out on this economic boom are huge for people like Brastell Travis. There are jobs in the suburbs, but he can't get to them to even apply—he doesn't have a car. He can't travel to many neighborhoods in Chicago, he told me, because of gang turf wars that often end up harming innocent people from one neighborhood who end up in another. When he applies to jobs, he's told he needs a college education. "In school, they tell you to go to college, but I don't have the grades," he told me. "They don't tell you how to find a job."

For a long time, Chicago represented a step up for many African Americans. Some 6 million of them left the oppression and violence of the Jim Crow South for industrial cities like Chicago during the Great Migration, which began in 1916. African Americans who settled in northern cities like Chicago, New York, and Detroit earned at least twice as much as those who stayed in the South in 1930, according to work by Leah Boustan, an economics professor at Princeton.

Many jobs were located along rail routes outside of Chicago's central Loop area. By the mid-1950s in North Lawndale, for instance, a predominantly black neighborhood on Chicago's west side, a Western Electric plant employed over 43,000 workers, an International Harvester plant had employed 14,000 workers, and the headquarters of Sears, Roebuck and Company employed 10,000 people, as the Harvard sociologist William Julius Wilson documented in his 1996 book, When Work Disappears. People employed in manufacturing spent money on goods and services, creating jobs in the neighborhoods where they lived. For every black man who worked at a factory, others found jobs at restaurants and grocery stores and shopping centers where manufacturing workers spent their money, most of which were located near where workers lived, in the city's south and west sides.

Of course, not everything was rosy for black Chicago residents, even during manufacturing's heyday. As my colleague Ta-Nehisi Coates documents in his seminal June 2014 cover story, "The Case for Reparations," African Americans with the money to buy homes in Chicago were prevented from doing so by policies like redlining, which made it impossible to get a federally backed loan for homes in majority-black neighborhoods. African Americans were also kept out of certain neighborhoods through racially restrictive covenants—Coates writes that half of Chicago's neighborhoods were effectively off-limits to blacks by the 1940s. At the same time, the Chicago Housing Authority was building public housing in predominantly black neighborhoods, further amplifying segregation. And when black residents did finally begin moving into majority white neighborhoods, real-estate agents encouraged white homeowners to list their homes for sale and decamp for the suburbs, telling them their home values would soon drop.

https://www.theatlantic.c...ty/556649/

I get depressed every time I read shit like this, and thankful I had the family structure I did growing up in the South Bronx projects. We lived at St. Mary's, which during my childhood (in the 60s), was considered the cream of the crop. Both my parents worked, my brother & I never suffered for anything, and my folks were able to give us a parochial school education. Many of my friends were in similar situations to mine. Unfortunately, over time, more of the wrong people started moving in and the neighborhood went to shit. The families who had loot like mine moved to the suburbs.

This may be a little off-topic, but areas like So. Chicago likely need to be completely disrupted.

It would a gargantuan project and require political will.

When I lived in Oakland, many of the large public housing buildings were taken down and smaller, housing units were built in a variety of neighborhoods to expose folks to a better quality of life.

The residents now had more school choice, better supermarkets etc.

Oakland still has alot of challenges, but it is nowhere near So Chicago.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 08/14/19 10:00pm

onlyforaminute

OldFriends4Sale said:



onlyforaminute said:


I know little to nothing about Chicago culture and its history of mobsters but growing up in the west I would say the wild, wild west mentality is very present across a multitude of cultures. It's in our everyday language, its been updated in our shows. I hadn't even thought about it until i listened to the commentary below but what he said about his daughters is common speech that's said all the time. Gunslinging is woven into the foundation of the culture. https://www.npr.org/templ...Id=6608070


it's not. in order for that to be, people would have to be a part of that culture. I'm telling you all over and over that that is a certain demographic.
.
Italians for example, were not a part of Americas earlier development, they came over in the early 1900s and and most left and went back to Italy/Sicily others settled in Canada or Brazil. then there was a 2nd wave later. They don't have the 'westerns' history, they do have Mafia history. A lot of people non-Italian are into Italian Mafia culture, Mob life, and that history is heavily a part of Chicago too. You cannot look at this from a far removed perspective. Those of us who live in America, understand the dynamics. We understand the cultures and subcultures. Prince himself was a 'fan' of Mafia movies etc and incorporated some of that in some of his scene.


.


Everyone is not gunslinging lol earlies and demographics that have that "Western" heritage will have it. But other parts like the South or North eastern states, were not the wild wild west. Many were farmers, many were in the cities or academic/arts regions. The north eastern Ocean/Sea cultures. 'Gunslinging is not woven into the foundation of American culture. And again, a broad stroked brushing of American culture is not accurate. You cannot say "I know little to nothing about Chicago culture and it's history" and then say but gunslinging is woven into the culture foundation.



.


This thread is not about general gun issues. It is about the S side of Chicago. This is no the 'West' it is not the South, it's not the SW. and their 'catch n release' I-BOND law that allows a convicted criminal to walk back on the streets within a short period of time, for free even.


.


I mean what is the point of providing information on the topic if it is waved away in preference for some wild wild west culture.







You don't think all born and educated here aren't raised and fed on the exact same mythologies and ideals? What other influences do you think they are possibly getting. America is supposed to be the dream. When that dream falls what else is left? Ain't no boats to hop on or no borders to cross. You take what you can at the end of a gun in an hostile environment. The Wild West
Year of Return 2019
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 08/15/19 5:33am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

onlyforaminute said:

OldFriends4Sale said:


it's not. in order for that to be, people would have to be a part of that culture. I'm telling you all over and over that that is a certain demographic.
.
Italians for example, were not a part of Americas earlier development, they came over in the early 1900s and and most left and went back to Italy/Sicily others settled in Canada or Brazil. then there was a 2nd wave later. They don't have the 'westerns' history, they do have Mafia history. A lot of people non-Italian are into Italian Mafia culture, Mob life, and that history is heavily a part of Chicago too. You cannot look at this from a far removed perspective. Those of us who live in America, understand the dynamics. We understand the cultures and subcultures. Prince himself was a 'fan' of Mafia movies etc and incorporated some of that in some of his scene.

.

Everyone is not gunslinging lol earlies and demographics that have that "Western" heritage will have it. But other parts like the South or North eastern states, were not the wild wild west. Many were farmers, many were in the cities or academic/arts regions. The north eastern Ocean/Sea cultures. 'Gunslinging is not woven into the foundation of American culture. And again, a broad stroked brushing of American culture is not accurate. You cannot say "I know little to nothing about Chicago culture and it's history" and then say but gunslinging is woven into the culture foundation.

.

This thread is not about general gun issues. It is about the S side of Chicago. This is no the 'West' it is not the South, it's not the SW. and their 'catch n release' I-BOND law that allows a convicted criminal to walk back on the streets within a short period of time, for free even.

.

I mean what is the point of providing information on the topic if it is waved away in preference for some wild wild west culture.

You don't think all born and educated here aren't raised and fed on the exact same mythologies and ideals? What other influences do you think they are possibly getting. America is supposed to be the dream. When that dream falls what else is left? Ain't no boats to hop on or no borders to cross. You take what you can at the end of a gun in an hostile environment. The Wild West

People are more diverse than that. Why can't it be the situations particular to S Chicago? What do drug deals have to do with the Wild West? It's not the citizens with legal guns doing the shootings, it's criminals.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 08/15/19 12:42pm

onlyforaminute

OldFriends4Sale said:



onlyforaminute said:


OldFriends4Sale said:



it's not. in order for that to be, people would have to be a part of that culture. I'm telling you all over and over that that is a certain demographic.
.
Italians for example, were not a part of Americas earlier development, they came over in the early 1900s and and most left and went back to Italy/Sicily others settled in Canada or Brazil. then there was a 2nd wave later. They don't have the 'westerns' history, they do have Mafia history. A lot of people non-Italian are into Italian Mafia culture, Mob life, and that history is heavily a part of Chicago too. You cannot look at this from a far removed perspective. Those of us who live in America, understand the dynamics. We understand the cultures and subcultures. Prince himself was a 'fan' of Mafia movies etc and incorporated some of that in some of his scene.


.


Everyone is not gunslinging lol earlies and demographics that have that "Western" heritage will have it. But other parts like the South or North eastern states, were not the wild wild west. Many were farmers, many were in the cities or academic/arts regions. The north eastern Ocean/Sea cultures. 'Gunslinging is not woven into the foundation of American culture. And again, a broad stroked brushing of American culture is not accurate. You cannot say "I know little to nothing about Chicago culture and it's history" and then say but gunslinging is woven into the culture foundation.



.


This thread is not about general gun issues. It is about the S side of Chicago. This is no the 'West' it is not the South, it's not the SW. and their 'catch n release' I-BOND law that allows a convicted criminal to walk back on the streets within a short period of time, for free even.


.


I mean what is the point of providing information on the topic if it is waved away in preference for some wild wild west culture.






You don't think all born and educated here aren't raised and fed on the exact same mythologies and ideals? What other influences do you think they are possibly getting. America is supposed to be the dream. When that dream falls what else is left? Ain't no boats to hop on or no borders to cross. You take what you can at the end of a gun in an hostile environment. The Wild West


People are more diverse than that. Why can't it be the situations particular to S Chicago? What do drug deals have to do with the Wild West? It's not the citizens with legal guns doing the shootings, it's criminals.




Of course there are more layers than that. Thats just people being people.
But I think its a disservice to act like black folks came to be in some sound proof bubble totally separated from all things American. We ate the same food from the same soil, fought in every war, sang the same song, my country tis of thee, put our little hands over our little hearts every morning reciting the exact same pledge. Migrated indoctrinated with the exact same protestant work ethic ideology. Yet people like say Emma don't even know that there was such a thing as a black farmer because on the brochure of the ideal America life certain faces have been removed so well that those even born here are clueless to them ever existing. I think that has just as much an impact on the psychology of people as anything else. As I said before if you can't live the dream here, than where? That's the imagery painted for generations.
Year of Return 2019
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 08/15/19 12:50pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

ok onlyforaminute

You haven't read anything I said, you just want to push this wild west syndrome.
I talked about many influences that black folk and other folk were exposed to, so your post about 'living in a bubble' makes no sense. If these 'criminals' did live in a bubble they might not be terrorizing the neighborhoods they live in.

.

even if that were true, that cannot be fixed, changed, regulated, legislated

but they can fix the I-BOND

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 08/15/19 1:06pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

They need to do what they did in South Central. Watts and Compton are far better.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 08/15/19 2:29pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

2freaky4church1 said:

They need to do what they did in South Central. Watts and Compton are far better.

how did they get rid of the Wild Wild West syndrome?

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 08/19/19 3:12pm

uPtoWnNY

OldFriends4Sale said:

uPtoWnNY said:

I get depressed every time I read shit like this, and thankful I had the family structure I did growing up in the South Bronx projects. We lived at St. Mary's, which during my childhood (in the 60s), was considered the cream of the crop. Both my parents worked, my brother & I never suffered for anything, and my folks were able to give us a parochial school education. Many of my friends were in similar situations to mine. Unfortunately, over time, more of the wrong people started moving in and the neighborhood went to shit. The families who had loot like mine moved to the suburbs.

What do you think could have happened to stop that influx? I mean I've even seen it happen in a suburb that my uncle and his family lived in.

Sometimes I talk about this with my friends from the old 'hood, and we don't have the answers. You can't stop folks from moving where they want. Sadly, over time, a lot of the people who moved into our projects weren't like my parents or my friends parents. To be honest, they were the equivalent of trailer-park trash (my old man had a harsher term for them, which I won't post here). As I stated before, it got so bad the middle-class families left for the suburbs.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 08/31/19 8:36am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

uPtoWnNY said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

What do you think could have happened to stop that influx? I mean I've even seen it happen in a suburb that my uncle and his family lived in.

Sometimes I talk about this with my friends from the old 'hood, and we don't have the answers. You can't stop folks from moving where they want. Sadly, over time, a lot of the people who moved into our projects weren't like my parents or my friends parents. To be honest, they were the equivalent of trailer-park trash (my old man had a harsher term for them, which I won't post here). As I stated before, it got so bad the middle-class families left for the suburbs.

I'm wondering if 'taxes' has something to do with controlling who can move into certain areas? Cities seem to have different persmissions vs suburban areas.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 08/31/19 9:11am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

What would the US crime stats look like if we removed big liberal, big crime cities like Chicago and Detroit? (and It is a total lie that the guns used in these cities are being legally bought in nearby states that respect civil rights.)

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 08/31/19 9:21am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Why demonize people Only?

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 08/31/19 9:32am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

Why demonize people Only?

you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself... i do not do that.

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 08/31/19 9:38am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

OnlyNDaUsa said:

What would the US crime stats look like if we removed big liberal, big crime cities like Chicago and Detroit? (and It is a total lie that the guns used in these cities are being legally bought in nearby states that respect civil rights.)

Well rationally (liberal or not) the more people you have in living areas the more crime you will have. It has always been this way with humans. There is a lot of crime in Texas and Florida.

.

And yes, I agree about the 2nd part of your post.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 09/01/19 10:33am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

The thread should be renamed the failed drug war. Cops don't break down the doors in white college dorms and they sell drugs and smoke them at the same rate.. They are also more likely to actually have illegal drugs and guns--white men.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 09/01/19 11:56am

RodeoSchro

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

2freaky4church1 said:

They need to do what they did in South Central. Watts and Compton are far better.

how did they get rid of the Wild Wild West syndrome?



If you're talking about the American West of the late 1800's, that is an EXCELLENT question.

Gun violence became so bad in the Wild West that ultimately towns effectively outlawed handguns, requiring anyone wearing one to turn it in to the sheriff while in town.

That's right - we outlawed handguns in populated areas. And it worked very, very well.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 09/01/19 12:16pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

The thread should be renamed the failed drug war. Cops don't break down the doors in white college dorms and they sell drugs and smoke them at the same rate.. They are also more likely to actually have illegal drugs and guns--white men.



You're on to something here- legalize, or at least decriminalize drugs, and the violence would decrease dramatically
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 09/01/19 12:24pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

Funny, "big liberal cities " like New York and Los Angeles and Boston have had huge drops in their crime rates over the last 20 years.

And I'm not even sure how "liberal " these cities really are... ask a Black or Latino male in NYC who's had an encounter with the police what they think
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 09/01/19 11:48pm

maplenpg

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

2freaky4church1 said:

The thread should be renamed the failed drug war. Cops don't break down the doors in white college dorms and they sell drugs and smoke them at the same rate.. They are also more likely to actually have illegal drugs and guns--white men.

You're on to something here- legalize, or at least decriminalize drugs, and the violence would decrease dramatically

yeahthat

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum' or 'garbage vomit', at least have a reason to do so.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 09/03/19 7:11am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

RodeoSchro said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

how did they get rid of the Wild Wild West syndrome?



If you're talking about the American West of the late 1800's, that is an EXCELLENT question.

Gun violence became so bad in the Wild West that ultimately towns effectively outlawed handguns, requiring anyone wearing one to turn it in to the sheriff while in town.

That's right - we outlawed handguns in populated areas. And it worked very, very well.

I was being tongue n cheek, with the people who say all gun issues are connected to some alleged Wild Wild West/Westerns attachment.

.

I was talking about South Central Watts and Compton

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 09/03/19 7:24am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

2freaky4church1 said:

The thread should be renamed the failed drug war. Cops don't break down the doors in white college dorms and they sell drugs and smoke them at the same rate.. They are also more likely to actually have illegal drugs and guns--white men.

No it is not a 'general' discussion. And I can take you places in New York State, where cops are staked out because of the students and those dealing for them, at various colleges here. It is constant. Like just because someone is a bodybuilder, doesn't mean they take steroids, nor should you say if someone who was a bodybuilder in his younger years, and now upper 70s and dies of a heartattack that you cannot insensitively say it was because of steroids. (see post #3 https://prince.org/msg/100/460640)

.

I think it is too simplistic to say, this issue is because of drugs. Unless 2Freaky can link drug use/dealing with each situation, then it is 'glossing' over and criminalizing the victims in these situations(see post #42 )

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 09/03/19 7:26am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

It is starting to look like every holiday (especially summer holiday) they should be bracing for a murderous outcome

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 09/03/19 7:44am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Read Paul Butler's book Chokehold. He outlines why black men kill other black men, which he does not shy away from. Black men actually begged him not to write about that topic because that is airing their dirty laundry in from of white people, who unfairly use it to demonize blacks.

The main reason there is violence is poverty, concentrated. Another is bad schools. Another is lack of employment. Another is lack of social cohesion. Another is prisons. Another is gangs. Another is lack of role models. Another is too much television watching. Another is lack of choices. The biggie is how laws are done. People in the hood do not make the laws. White people with power make the laws. Corporations kill many more people but we never talk about corporate murder. It is easy to talk about black thugs. Why aren't Wal-Mart's owners thugs? He who makes the laws governs the debate.,

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 09/03/19 7:46am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Butler's main plan is the end the hood. Give vouchers to the black poor so they can live--only--in white suburbs. You would have to also culturally convince whites not to be scared of the black poor who move there.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 09/03/19 1:37pm

guitarslinger4
4

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

Butler's main plan is the end the hood. Give vouchers to the black poor so they can live--only--in white suburbs. You would have to also culturally convince whites not to be scared of the black poor who move there.


It's funny to me that you think black people can only get ahead if they get public assistance. Sounds like casual racism to me... hmmm

The hood would end if the hood mentality ended rather than being glorified. It's not much different than the white trash/redneck mentality really.

[Edited 9/3/19 13:38pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 09/03/19 2:33pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Chicago's bloody Labor Day weekend sees at least 35 shot, 7 of them killed

https://www.msn.com/en-us...spartanntp

a group of people on a sidewalk

Chicago is experiencing a violent Labor Day weekend with at least 35 people shot and seven of them killed, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Monday.

Two deadly shootings unfolded Sunday within just over 20 minutes. A 15-year-old boy named Dovantae Jackson was shot on the same block where he lived and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Soon afterward, an unidentified man and woman were shot at a South Side party; the man later died at the University of Chicago Medical Center.

Also Sunday, a drive-by on the Southwest Side killing one man and seriously wounding another.

The previous day, two men were killed and three wounded after a shooter open fired at a group of people who were on the front porch

of a home. Doctors pronounced the two dead at two separate hospitals.

A double shooting at Humboldt Park claimed the life of 18-year-old Angel Perez and wounded another man Saturday morning. Willie Coker was shot and killed early Saturday morning while he was outside with a group of people.

Overall, the city experienced a more violent weekend compared to this time last year. In 2018, Chicago's Labor Day weekend saw four people killed and 23 people wounded.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 09/03/19 3:36pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

What about the Wall Street mentality??

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 09/04/19 9:08am

jjhunsecker

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

Butler's main plan is the end the hood. Give vouchers to the black poor so they can live--only--in white suburbs. You would have to also culturally convince whites not to be scared of the black poor who move there.



The problem is if they put poor Black people in White suburbs, a lot of that housing would be vandalized or burned down in weeks
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 09/05/19 4:51am

PennyPurple

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

2freaky4church1 said:

Butler's main plan is the end the hood. Give vouchers to the black poor so they can live--only--in white suburbs. You would have to also culturally convince whites not to be scared of the black poor who move there.

The problem is if they put poor Black people in White suburbs, a lot of that housing would be vandalized or burned down in weeks

What are you saying JJ? That the whites would vandalize or burn down their houses?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Another violent Chicago weekend leaves 5 dead, nearly 50 injured