independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 25th Aug 2019 7:34pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Antifa and Proud Boys set to meet again in Portland on August 17
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 08/13/19 11:29am

RodeoSchro

avatar

guitarslinger44 said:

jjhunsecker said:

If 50 people were murdered by Islamic extremists, or members of Black Lives Matter, or guys in masks claiming to be "Antifa", you can guarentee there would be many calling it an "epidemic" of terrorism. Trump would be tweeting about it every 2 hours, and Fox news would be broadcasting alerts 24/7 about the danger to "real Americans"


50 deaths is not an epidemic no matter who does the killing. Anyone who claims so is just being an alarmist.




Do you agree that white supremacy/white nationalists groups are a problem?

BTW - YOU are the one that first called this an "epidemic", so it seems like all you're really doing is arguing with yourself.

In fact, you used the word "epidemic" 12 times before anyone else even used it once, and Ian only used it in response to you.

I've got to hand it to you, that's far better trolling than we usually see here.

.

[Edited 8/13/19 11:33am]

[Edited 8/13/19 11:35am]

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 08/13/19 11:38am

RodeoSchro

avatar

guitarslinger44 said:

IanRG said:

.

No, the NYT article says that there were 147 murders in total and this is an 8% spike or an increase of 11 killings on the same period last year. It says "gang violence that has accounted for roughly one-third of this year’s slayings ... “When it comes to the homicides, it’s around 30 percent [gang-related]”. That is about 44 gang-related murders (30% of 147). For your tripling claim to be correct there would have had to been only 14 or 15 gang land killings in the first half of 2017.

.

So there is NOT a tripling as you claimed and there was not 147 gangland murders as you claimed. There has been an increase of 8% in total and it is silent on any increase specifically in gang land killings. This could be well within normal fluctuations in any six month period. 44 is less than 46.

.

All this is you getting the figures wrong and only using them to talk down the issue with semantics. The fact is white supremacist violence is responsible for 3 times the political violence of every other group combined and all the political murders in 2018 and their violence is rising. And you want to argue whether it is an epidemic or not!

[Edited 8/12/19 19:31pm]

Even with that, there were 289 murders in NYC that year ( https://abc7ny.com/nyc-se...a/5000622/ ) and if the 30% stat holds, that's 86 gang related murders which is almost twice the amount of people killed by white supremacists. In a single year. And this is just in ONE city. Gang violence claims many more lives than white supremecy ever will, but sure, white supremacists are the big problem we face here. I don't like white supremacists any more than you do, bit I'm not the one saying white supremecy is an epidemic, others here are. What I AM saying is that they're wrong, and given the stats, they are. [Edited 8/12/19 23:07pm]



falloff

Dude - NO ONE ELSE called it an "epidemic" but YOU. All Ian did - after you used the term 12 times before anyone else did - was ask if you wanted to argue about whether it was an epidemic or not.

I really, really mean this - top-notch trolling, my brother!

Where did you earn your trolling bones? Yahoo? Hannity? Reddit? Tell me, I always acknowledge good trolling when I see it.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 08/13/19 12:32pm

guitarslinger4
4

avatar

IanRG said:

guitarslinger44 said:

IanRG said:

.

You really should read the things you link to before you post them:

.

According to preliminary numbers, 289 people were murdered in 2018, down from 292 in 2017, just over a 1 percent decrease.

The murder rate in New York City is significantly lower than in other large U.S. cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston and Philadelphia; a stark contrast from 1990 when the city was known as the murder capital of the country with over 2,000 homicides.

Shooting incidents were down about 4 percent.

Based on preliminary numbers, police responded to 752 shooting incidents in New York City in 2018, down from 787 incidents in 2017.


Robberies and burglaries were also down preliminarily citywide.

.

An epidemic is about sudden and widespread rises in an undesirable phenomenon. Not only were you wrong that there was a tripling in gangland violence in the first half of the year (it was only 8% up in total), but by the end of the year there was no rise and, instead, it fell more than 1%.

.

At the same time, white supremacist violence is experiencing a sudden widespread rise and we agree it is a highly undesirable phenomenon. The rise is widespread and not just restricted to just one city such as NYC. The only thing that can be disputed is how sudden the rise is - It is arguably started with the increasing racism against the former President by the right-wing encouraging more of them to become white supremacists and the progressive increase in white supremacist violence encouraged by the current president.

.

Which still leaves us with the only reason you are arguing this point is to downplay the rise in violence by white supremacists.


You're in such a hurry to respond that you don't even understand the things you're claiming I didn't read. lol

The point isn't that murders went down, the point was simply to show that gangs account for more murders than white supremacists. Clearly that went over your head.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 08/13/19 12:32pm

guitarslinger4
4

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

guitarslinger44 said:


It does suck that those 46 people died that way, but 46 people does not an epidemic make. According to this article ( https://nypost.com/2018/0...-violence/ ) 147 people were murdered by gangs in just the first half of the year. Not a really huge number, but far more than the white supremecists, which, I'm not excusing, but people are definitely blowing it out of proportion.

[Edited 8/12/19 16:02pm]

[Edited 8/12/19 16:03pm]



White supremacists start civil wars.


When? And where?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 08/13/19 12:33pm

guitarslinger4
4

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

Gang killings are generally other gang members. In fact, I'd bet that 90% or so of people who die at the hands of a gang member are themselves members of a rival gang. Drive-by shootings are another matter, although data indicates that the mortality rate in a drive-by shooting is 5%. https://popcenter.asu.edu...hootings-0

However, white supremacists' sole intent is to kill innocent people. They don't go after other white supremacists, or rival ethnic gangs.

They go after innocent people.

At concerts.

At Walmart.

At your church.

They create terror, which is why they're labelled domestic terrorists.

To fail to understand that is to be unable to grasp why white supremacists are a problem that is as big as, if not bigger than, gang violence.


So you're saying gang members don't kill innocent people, that everyone they kill deserves it? Word? eek

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 08/13/19 12:38pm

guitarslinger4
4

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

guitarslinger44 said:


50 deaths is not an epidemic no matter who does the killing. Anyone who claims so is just being an alarmist.

If 50 people died in a year from bird flu, or some previously unknown or dormant disease, the CDC would call that an epidemic. They wouldn't say "Oh well, a hell of lot more people died of cancer last year, so let's not make a big deal out of the bird flu".



YOU may choose not to be alarmed by the rise in White Supremacist violence. I (and millions of others) don't have that luxury. Id the FBI (led by a Republican, no less) thinks it's an issue to worry about, may, just maybe, it is ...


You're free to do as you like, but your chances of being killed by a white supremacist are infinitesimally small. If anything blacks kill whites more often than the other way around:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/tables/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2015.xls

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 08/13/19 12:46pm

guitarslinger4
4

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

guitarslinger44 said:

IanRG said: Even with that, there were 289 murders in NYC that year ( https://abc7ny.com/nyc-se...a/5000622/ ) and if the 30% stat holds, that's 86 gang related murders which is almost twice the amount of people killed by white supremacists. In a single year. And this is just in ONE city. Gang violence claims many more lives than white supremecy ever will, but sure, white supremacists are the big problem we face here. I don't like white supremacists any more than you do, bit I'm not the one saying white supremecy is an epidemic, others here are. What I AM saying is that they're wrong, and given the stats, they are. [Edited 8/12/19 23:07pm]



falloff

Dude - NO ONE ELSE called it an "epidemic" but YOU. All Ian did - after you used the term 12 times before anyone else did - was ask if you wanted to argue about whether it was an epidemic or not.

I really, really mean this - top-notch trolling, my brother!

Where did you earn your trolling bones? Yahoo? Hannity? Reddit? Tell me, I always acknowledge good trolling when I see it.


Do you take everything so literally? I know no one said literally that it was an epidemic, but it's the way y'all talk about it. You guys all talk like there are millions of torch carrying KKK members coming for you when it's really just a few thousand nuts in a country of 300 million.

White supremacists were some backwater sewer on the internet until SJWs on Twitter and in the media decided to start dunking on them to make themselves look good, (which just spreads their message for them) and the group that calls itself "antifa" started publicizing white supremacist rallies so they could go counterprotest (i.e. start fights.)

Sometimes letting garbage fester on its own is the wisest move rather than constantly drawing attention to it to virtue signal to everyone else how "woke" you are.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 08/13/19 12:49pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

guitarslinger44 said:



jjhunsecker said:




guitarslinger44 said:




50 deaths is not an epidemic no matter who does the killing. Anyone who claims so is just being an alarmist.



If 50 people died in a year from bird flu, or some previously unknown or dormant disease, the CDC would call that an epidemic. They wouldn't say "Oh well, a hell of lot more people died of cancer last year, so let's not make a big deal out of the bird flu".






YOU may choose not to be alarmed by the rise in White Supremacist violence. I (and millions of others) don't have that luxury. Id the FBI (led by a Republican, no less) thinks it's an issue to worry about, may, just maybe, it is ...




You're free to do as you like, but your chances of being killed by a white supremacist are infinitesimally small. If anything blacks kill whites more often than the other way around:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/tables/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2015.xls



As a Black man who grew up with and experienced racist threats and violence from whites, I am hyper vigilant on these matters. People are shaped by their experiences. Like I said, YOU have the luxury of considering this overblown or whatever. I do not.

It's obvious you think that White supremacist threats are basically a big nothingburger. I see it differently. No use just going in circles...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 08/13/19 12:54pm

guitarslinger4
4

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

guitarslinger44 said:


You're free to do as you like, but your chances of being killed by a white supremacist are infinitesimally small. If anything blacks kill whites more often than the other way around:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/tables/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2015.xls

As a Black man who grew up with and experienced racist threats and violence from whites, I am hyper vigilant on these matters. People are shaped by their experiences. Like I said, YOU have the luxury of considering this overblown or whatever. I do not. It's obvious you think that White supremacist threats are basically a big nothingburger. I see it differently. No use just going in circles...


I understand, and I'm not saying it's a nothingburger, there's obviously SOMETHING to it, but I just don't think it's as big as people here are saying.

But I understand why you feel the way you do and I hope you never have to experience that.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 08/13/19 12:54pm

IanRG

IanRG said:

.

An epidemic is about sudden and widespread rises in an undesirable phenomenon. Not only were you wrong that there was a tripling in gangland violence in the first half of the year (it was only 8% up in total), but by the end of the year there was no rise and, instead, it fell more than 1%.

.

At the same time, white supremacist violence is experiencing a sudden widespread rise and we agree it is a highly undesirable phenomenon. The rise is widespread and not just restricted to just one city such as NYC. The only thing that can be disputed is how sudden the rise is - It is arguably started with the increasing racism against the former President by the right-wing encouraging more of them to become white supremacists and the progressive increase in white supremacist violence encouraged by the current president.

.

Which still leaves us with the only reason you are arguing this point is to downplay the rise in violence by white supremacists.

guitarslinger44 said:


You're in such a hurry to respond that you don't even understand the things you're claiming I didn't read. lol

The point isn't that murders went down, the point was simply to show that gangs account for more murders than white supremacists. Clearly that went over your head.

.

No, actually your claim was that the gangland murders tripled in NYC. This was wrong and was only claimed because you failed to read and understand your first article. This showed only a 8% total increase in first six months and it is not possible for this to be as a result of a tripling in gangland murders. I suspect the article went over your head because you confused around 1/3rd with 3 times.

.

You backed this up with a second article and you did not read and understand this from an epidemic point of view - Epidemics are not about the level but about the increase and that increase being widespread. Your second article showed what I said the 8% increase was just within normal fluctuations and the full year result was a more than 1% decrease.

.

In the meantime, the violence and murders by white supremacists is increasing across the nation and the world. Your distraction to compare this to other forms of gun deaths based on a false claim that these are tripling is merely to downplay the widespread rise in violence by white supremacists.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 08/13/19 1:03pm

guitarslinger4
4

avatar

IanRG said:

guitarslinger44 said:


You're in such a hurry to respond that you don't even understand the things you're claiming I didn't read. lol

The point isn't that murders went down, the point was simply to show that gangs account for more murders than white supremacists. Clearly that went over your head.

.

No, actually your claim was that the gangland murders tripled in NYC. This was wrong and was only claimed because you failed to read and understand your first article. This showed only a 8% total increase in first six months and it is not possible for this to be as a result of a tripling in gangland murders. I suspect the article went over your head because you confused around 1/3rd with 3 times.

.

You backed this up with a second article and you did not read and understand this from an epidemic point of view - Epidemics are not about the level but about the increase and that increase being widespread. Your second article showed what I said the 8% increase was just within normal fluctuations and the full year result was a more than 1% decrease.

.

In the meantime, the violence and murders by white supremacists is increasing across the nation and the world. Your distraction to compare this to other forms of gun deaths based on a false claim that these are tripling is merely to downplay the widespread rise in violence by white supremacists.


I acknowledged I misread the "tripling" thing, but there was still 289 murders in NYC at the end of 2018 and if the 30% stat holds, then that's more gang killings in one city in a single year than white supremacists we're told are a bigger danger. Blacks are statistically more likely to kill whites than the other way around anyway and have been for quite awhile.

Anyway I'm not gonna let you drag me in any further on this, you have reading comprehension problems and I'm told a lot of people complain about you here because of it. I've told you what my point was and you still go on about something else. Just stop.

[Edited 8/13/19 13:04pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 08/13/19 2:07pm

IanRG

guitarslinger44 said:

IanRG said:

.

No, actually your claim was that the gangland murders tripled in NYC. This was wrong and was only claimed because you failed to read and understand your first article. This showed only a 8% total increase in first six months and it is not possible for this to be as a result of a tripling in gangland murders. I suspect the article went over your head because you confused around 1/3rd with 3 times.

.

You backed this up with a second article and you did not read and understand this from an epidemic point of view - Epidemics are not about the level but about the increase and that increase being widespread. Your second article showed what I said the 8% increase was just within normal fluctuations and the full year result was a more than 1% decrease.

.

In the meantime, the violence and murders by white supremacists is increasing across the nation and the world. Your distraction to compare this to other forms of gun deaths based on a false claim that these are tripling is merely to downplay the widespread rise in violence by white supremacists.


I acknowledged I misread the "tripling" thing, but there was still 289 murders in NYC at the end of 2018 and if the 30% stat holds, then that's more gang killings in one city in a single year than white supremacists we're told are a bigger danger. Blacks are statistically more likely to kill whites than the other way around anyway and have been for quite awhile.

Anyway I'm not gonna let you drag me in any further on this, you have reading comprehension problems and I'm told a lot of people complain about you here because of it. I've told you what my point was and you still go on about something else. Just stop.

[Edited 8/13/19 13:04pm]

.

Receiving org notes from people who have make these unsubstantiated claims does not mean they are true - they will be from people that made as silly comprehension mistakes as you.

.

This is the first time you actually acknowledged to me that you misread the tripling thing. All you previously said was "Even with that". You are the one who has been shown to not have sufficent comprehension skills here - twice. Not just on your error on "tripling" but on that you missed that NYC murders had fallen year on year, but your argument was about how they were rising (changed later to there are more of this type of murder).

.

It really is simple for you to comprehend: The violence and murders by white supremacists is increasing across the nation and the world. Your distraction to compare this to other forms of gun deaths is merely to downplay the widespread rise in violence by white supremacists. That criminal murders are greater than political murders is irrelevent to the concerns about the rise in political murders and violence. That is like saying don't research into stopping cancer because more people die from heart attacks.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 08/13/19 3:51pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

guitarslinger44 said:

jjhunsecker said:

guitarslinger44 said: As a Black man who grew up with and experienced racist threats and violence from whites, I am hyper vigilant on these matters. People are shaped by their experiences. Like I said, YOU have the luxury of considering this overblown or whatever. I do not. It's obvious you think that White supremacist threats are basically a big nothingburger. I see it differently. No use just going in circles...


I understand, and I'm not saying it's a nothingburger, there's obviously SOMETHING to it, but I just don't think it's as big as people here are saying.

But I understand why you feel the way you do and I hope you never have to experience that.



OK, here's the question I meant to ask you before I realized that you are the only one who said white supremacism is an "epidemic":

How much of the federal government's law enforcement and investigation resources should be dedicated to combating white supremacism and the attendant killings that come with it?

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 08/13/19 3:56pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

guitarslinger44 said:

RodeoSchro said:



falloff

Dude - NO ONE ELSE called it an "epidemic" but YOU. All Ian did - after you used the term 12 times before anyone else did - was ask if you wanted to argue about whether it was an epidemic or not.

I really, really mean this - top-notch trolling, my brother!

Where did you earn your trolling bones? Yahoo? Hannity? Reddit? Tell me, I always acknowledge good trolling when I see it.


Do you take everything so literally? I know no one said literally that it was an epidemic, but it's the way y'all talk about it. You guys all talk like there are millions of torch carrying KKK members coming for you when it's really just a few thousand nuts in a country of 300 million.

White supremacists were some backwater sewer on the internet until SJWs on Twitter and in the media decided to start dunking on them to make themselves look good, (which just spreads their message for them) and the group that calls itself "antifa" started publicizing white supremacist rallies so they could go counterprotest (i.e. start fights.)

Sometimes letting garbage fester on its own is the wisest move rather than constantly drawing attention to it to virtue signal to everyone else how "woke" you are.



I don't know, man - words have meanings. Especially when you used one particular word 12 times before anyone else did, and then claimed "bit I'm not the one saying white supremecy is an epidemic, others here are."

I could let that go, except for your claim that you weren't the one calling it an "epidemic" when clearly it was ONLY you that called it an "epidemic".

And to now try to pin the blame for the killings by white supremacists on "SJWs" and "antifa"? Man, that is the weakest of sauces.

C'mon, man - you can troll better than that.

.

[Edited 8/13/19 16:29pm]

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 08/14/19 9:17am

poppys

I think the word EPIDEMIC must be getting a lot of play in talking points and is bubbling up in the word cloud. A contractor working next door launched into a huge diatribe the other day about crime, murders, etc etc. He kept saying there's an epidemic. I asked him what the epidemic is and he said - "people breaking into cars". WTF?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 08/14/19 9:29am

RodeoSchro

avatar

poppys said:

I think the word EPIDEMIC must be getting a lot of play in talking points and is bubbling up in the word cloud. A contractor working next door launched into a huge diatribe the other day about crime, murders, etc etc. He kept saying there's an epidemic. I asked him what the epidemic is and he said - "people breaking into cars". WTF?





It's funny - I know lots of people, here and otherwise, that claim with all their might that they aren't Republicans and that they don't watch Fox News or listen to Rush Limbaugh, etc..

And yet day after day, they say the exact same things I hear on Fox News and on Rush Limbaugh.

I highly, highly doubt our friend the guitarslinger just came up with "epidemic" and used it 12 times in a row all on his own. But I guess you never know...

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 08/16/19 8:12am

jjhunsecker

avatar

guitarslinger44 said:

jjhunsecker said:

guitarslinger44 said: As a Black man who grew up with and experienced racist threats and violence from whites, I am hyper vigilant on these matters. People are shaped by their experiences. Like I said, YOU have the luxury of considering this overblown or whatever. I do not. It's obvious you think that White supremacist threats are basically a big nothingburger. I see it differently. No use just going in circles...


I understand, and I'm not saying it's a nothingburger, there's obviously SOMETHING to it, but I just don't think it's as big as people here are saying.

But I understand why you feel the way you do and I hope you never have to experience that.

That was the environment I was raised in. You could be walking down the street minding your own business, and someone would yell out "Get out of my neighborhood, N****r !"....I was lucky, it was usually just words exchanged and occassional blows thrown. It could have been a lot worse : feel free to Google Willie Turks, Bensonhurst Brooklyn NY or Michael Griffith, Howard Beach, NY, or Yusuf Hawkins, Bensonhurst Brooklyn, NY to see what the outcome could have been.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 08/16/19 10:02pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/portland-braces-for-possible-violence-at-far-right-rally/ar-AAFUlqy?ocid=spartanntp

Portland braces for possible violence at far-right rally

Jonathan Vigliotti

Portland, Oregon — The serenity of downtown Portland will be tested yet again on Saturday afternoon. Stores are already closing on the eve of expected dueling protests between groups of right-wing extremists and anti-fascist demonstrators.

In recent years, Portland has become a magnet for protests, some of them turning ugly. Several groups from the far-left and far-right said they will converge in the city's downtown. Police said its nearly 1,000 member force will be on duty.

"We recognize these events can cause alarm, anxiety and even fear for certain members of our community," said Lieutenant Tina Jones.

a group of people standing next to a wire fence: 0816-en-portland-vigliotti-foranna1.jpg© Credit: CBSNews 0816-en-portland-vigliotti-foranna1.jpg

A riot in 2017 shattered store windows throughout downtown, leading to 25 arrests. Residents said they've grown weary of the street battles.

"It's sad to me because I think that a lot of people that come here to protest don't actually live here or share a lot of values that I believe Portland stands for," said resident Drew Edwards.

Police aren't sure which groups will show up, what they'll be protesting about, and if they're only coming to cause trouble.

"We have seen a shift in the last few weeks in the rhetoric, and a separation of those who want to engage in free speech and those who intend to participate in acts of violence," Jones said.

Some business owners said they hope to stay open on Saturday. Meanwhile, the FBI will be on scene out of an abundance of caution.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 08/17/19 6:47am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Patriot Prayer leader Joey Gibson arrested on eve of Portland, Ore., protests

.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/patriot-prayer-leader-joey-gibson-arrested-on-eve-of-portland-ore-protests/ar-AAFVV7e?ocid=spartanntp

.

The leader of a conservative group was arrested Friday in Portland, Ore., one day before planned protests involving supporters of the far-left Antifa movement and supporters of several conservative groups.

oey Gibson, leader of Portland-based Patriot Prayer, turned himself in to authorities in connection with an arrest warrant for rioting, stemming from a violent clash in the city on May 1, according to the Associated Press. He was later released after posting bail, with further legal action pending.

In a video posted on Facebook, Gibson accused police of targeting conservative groups for arrests but not members of Antifa, even though masked Antifa supporters have been seen on videos engaging in violence during past protests.

Gibson asserted that authorities were trying to intimidate conservatives who planned to protest Saturday.

“They want you to not show up in Portland, they want to put fear in your hearts,” Gibson said.

He also asked conservative protesters to refrain from violence Saturday.

"Force them to arrest you for being peaceful," he said.

Gibson, 35, was not connected to the events planned for Saturday but had organized Portland rallies that turned violent in 2017 and 2018, the report said.

Separately, a conservative group called the Oath Keepers has decided it will not participate Saturday, saying it did not believe organizers had done enough to discourage white supremacists from showing up.

Portland authorities have been taking steps intended to minimize the chances that Saturday’s demonstrations repeat the violence of past events. Personnel from more than two-dozen law enforcement agencies – representing local, state and federal government – are involved in trying to maintain order during the demonstrations, the AP reported.

“I'm confident that from a law enforcement perspective, we're going to have all the tools and the resources and personnel we need,” Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler said Friday on Fox News...rtime.”

The mayor, a Democrat, has drawn criticism over the city’s handling of past protests.

In June, conservative writer Andy Ngo was hospitalized after being attacked by Antifa supporters at a Portland demonstration.

On Friday, Ngo told “Fox & Friends” that he feared Saturday’s event “has the potential to be a powder keg.”

Precautions being taken in Portland for Saturday include plans by many downtown businesses to close for the day, as well as the planned closure of the Hawthorne Bridge, which connects eastern Portland to the downtown area, across the Willamette River, OregonLive reported.

SEATTLE, WA - AUGUST 18: Joey Gibson, leader of the far-right group, Patriot Prayer, speaks during the  'Liberty or Death - Rally Against Left Wing Violence' outside Seattle City Hall on August 18, 2018 in Seattle, Washington. Right wing groups including Patriot Prayer held a pro-gun rally to oppose Washington gun-control Initiative 1639 and were met with a large counterprotest. (Photo by Karen Ducey/Getty Images)© Photo by Karen Ducey/Getty Images SEATTLE, WA - AUGUST 18: Joey Gibson, leader of the far-right group, Patriot Prayer, speaks during the 'Liberty or Death - Rally Against Left Wing Violence' outside Seattle City Hall on August 18, 2018 in Seattle, Washington. Right wing groups including Patriot Prayer held a pro-gun rally to oppose Washington gun-control Initiative 1639 and were met with a large counterprotest. (Photo by Karen Ducey/Getty Images)

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 08/17/19 11:01am

ufoclub

avatar

Haven't been in this section in a while... where's Superfurryanimal? razz

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 08/17/19 1:25pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

ufoclub said:

Haven't been in this section in a while... where's Superfurryanimal? razz



Permanently banned.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 08/17/19 4:51pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

ufoclub said:

Haven't been in this section in a while... where's Superfurryanimal? razz



Probably Bellevue or the Mayo Clinic
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 08/18/19 6:27am

ufoclub

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

ufoclub said:

Haven't been in this section in a while... where's Superfurryanimal? razz



Permanently banned.

Did he post something violent? What gets you banned?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 08/18/19 7:47am

RodeoSchro

avatar

The "Proud Boys" think they "won" the rally because unrepentant serial adulterer Donald J. Trump tweeted that he was looking at declaring "Antifa" a "Terrorist "Organization".

Which is odd, seeing that "Antifa" is not an organization, but the "Proud Boys" and their ilk have already been identified as potential domestic terrorists by the FBI.

Draw your own conclusions about unrepentant serial adulterer Donald J. Trump's stance on white supremacy.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 08/18/19 7:48am

RodeoSchro

avatar

ufoclub said:

RodeoSchro said:



Permanently banned.

Did he post something violent? What gets you banned?




You'd have to ask a mod but I doubt they'd tell you. Personally, I don't know what it was that got him banned.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 08/18/19 7:55am

RodeoSchro

avatar

Here's that loser who worked for that fat fuck/possible pedophile/potential domestic terrorist Alex Jones:

https://www.huffpost.com/...875f24fcdd

A former Infowars staffer who organized the Proud Boys protest in Portland Saturday deemed the “mission” a success because President Donald Trump sided with the right-wing extremist group against the anti-fascists.


“Go look at President Trump’s Twitter,” Joe Biggs told The Oregonian (see the video above). “He talked about Portland, said he’s watching antifa. That’s all we wanted. We wanted national attention, and we got it. Mission success.”

**********************************************************************


I'm not calling unrepentant serial adulterer Donald J. Trump a racist, but man oh man the racists sure do like him a lot, don't they?

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 08/18/19 10:31am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Meanwhile in Hong Kong many 1000s are risking their freedom and lives get their government to move towards what we have here... you know Antifa ans many here would protest them!

Antifa: are Fascist. People are fooled by their name! They carry out acts of violence to instill fear in order to push a political agenda or combat one. Do you support them?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 08/18/19 11:33am

RodeoSchro

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

Meanwhile in Hong Kong many 1000s are risking their freedom and lives get their government to move towards what we have here... you know Antifa ans many here would protest them!



Moron.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 08/18/19 11:45am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

Meanwhile in Hong Kong many 1000s are risking their freedom and lives get their government to move towards what we have here... you know Antifa ans many here would protest them!



Moron.

Keep it friendly though!

Antifa: are Fascist. People are fooled by their name! They carry out acts of violence to instill fear in order to push a political agenda or combat one. Do you support them?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 08/18/19 11:52am

RodeoSchro

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

RodeoSchro said:



Moron.

Keep it friendly though!



Quit posting moronic, hateful things that are off-topic and are aimed directly at the integrity of "many here".

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Antifa and Proud Boys set to meet again in Portland on August 17