independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 25th Aug 2019 7:25pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > CNN 2020 Democratic Debate July 30-31
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 3 <123
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 07/31/19 7:11pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Biden tells Harris to 'go easy on me, kid' as candidates spar in early stages

Detroit (CNN) Former Vice President Joe Biden set the tone for his second matchup with California Sen. Kamala harris the moment she walked on stage and shook his hand.

"Go easy on me, kid," he said to Harris as they greeted one another at center stage.

Whether it was a warning shot or simply one of those folksy Biden phrases, it was a signal that he would not be blindsided again the way he was in the first debate when Harris dispatched a fierce attack on his record opposing busing to desegregate schools decades ago. In that exchange, he appeared totally unprepared and caught off-guard. It led many voters to question whether he would be ready to go toe-to-toe against Trump, but his friends and advisers said it was much needed wake-up call.

But Wednesday night in Detroit was different. In his opening statement, he noted that Democrats were "expecting some engagement here."

"I expect we'll get it," he said, before turning his attention to Trump.

"I'm running for president to restore the soul of this country," Biden said. "You know, we have a president as everybody acknowledged here, (who is) every day is ripping at the social fabric of this country, that no one man has the capacity to rip that apart. It's too strong. We're too good. Just look at this stage, made up of diverse people from diverse backgrounds, went on to be mayors, senators, governors, congresswomen."

"Mr. President, this is America," Biden said, alluding to the diversity of the Democratic field on stage. "We are stronger and great because of this diversity, Mr. President, not in spite of it, Mr. President. So Mr. President, let's get something straight. We love it. We are not leaving it. We are here to stay and we're certainly not going to leave it to you."

Slide 1 of 42: From left, Sen. Michael Bennet, D-Colo., Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro, Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., Andrew Yang, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio are introduced before the second of two Democratic presidential primary debates hosted by CNN Wednesday, July 31, 2019, in the Fox Theatre in Detroit.

Harris, in her opening statement, argued that she too was ready to take on Trump.

"I come from fighters," she said. "My sister Maya and I joke we grew up surrounded by a bunch of adults that marched about this thing called justice and I'm prepared to march with you to fight with you for the best of who we are and to successfully prosecute the case of four more years of Donald Trump. And against him."

The stage will show the diversity of the Democratic field and also the generational differences among the candidates. Harris and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker, for example, have argued for a new generation of leaders who better reflect the diversity of the Democratic Party.

Booker, who is hoping for a breakout performance to help him move from the bottom of the pack toward the top tier of contenders, has signaled that he will be trying to show Wednesday night that it is time for fresh leadership and new ideas. Booker's camp has signaled he'll plan to target Biden as well, having previously gone after the vice president over his stances on racial issues and criminal justice.

Also on the stage on Wednesday will be Colorado Sen. Michael Bennet, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio, Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and businessman Andrew Yang.

Fiery debate over the future of health insurance

Immediately, Harris and Biden began to spar over the differences in their health care plans. While Biden would expand Obamacare with the goal of universal coverage but not force Americans to give up their private health insurance, Harris' plan would phase in "Medicare for All" and phase out private insurance over ten years.

"The senator has had several plans so far, and any time someone tells you you're going to get something good in 10 years, you should wonder why it takes 10 years," Biden said, alluding to Harris' plan. "If you notice, there is no talk that the plan in 10 years will cost $3 trillion. You will lose your employer-based insurance and in fact, you know, this is the single most important issue facing the public. (To) be very blunt and to be very straightforward, you can't beat President Trump with double talk on this plan."

Harris replied that Biden's description of her plan was "simply inaccurate."

U.S. Senator Kamala Harris points at former Vice President Joe Biden on the second night of the second 2020 Democratic U.S. presidential debate in Detroit, Michigan, July 31, 2019. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson© Reuters U.S. Senator Kamala Harris points at former Vice President Joe Biden on the second night of the second 2020 Democratic U.S. presidential debate in Detroit, Michigan, July 31, 2019. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

"The reality is our plan will bring health care to all Americans under a Medicare for All system," the California senator said. "Our plan will allow people to start signing up on the first day, babies will be born into our plan and right now, 4 million babies, almost, are born every day -- or every year in America under our plan we will ensure everyone has access to health care. Your plan, by contrast, leaves out almost 10 million Americans."

Over and over again -- even when responding from a criticism from Gabbard -- Harris returned to criticize Biden's plan.

"I'm going to go back to Vice President Biden," she said, when given the opportunity to respond to Gabbard, "because your plan does not cover everyone in America by your staffs and your own definition ... As many as 10 million people will not have access to health care, and in 2019 in America, for a Democrat to be running for president with a plan that does not cover everyone, I think is without excuse."

At one point, Booker interjected with a plea for unity.

"The person that's enjoying this debate most right now is Donald Trump," Booker said. "We pit Democrats against each other while he is working right now to take away Americans' health care. There is a court case working through the system that will gut the Affordable Care Act. ... I was raised by two civil rights parents that told me to always keep your eye on the prize and that is in the United States of America. Every Democrat should stand with the belief that everyone should have access to health care -- that it's a human right. How we get there, it has to be to end this broken system."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-tells-harris-to-go-easy-on-me-kid-as-candidates-spar-in-early-stages/ar-AAF8TA4?ocid=spartanntp

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 07/31/19 7:47pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Last night i gave props to Bernie for being the only one smart enough to have a closing statement with a shoutout to his website for donations on such a highly watched prime time program.

.

Well, it seems everyone thought it was a good idea as they all did that tonight as well:lol:

[Edited 7/31/19 19:51pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 08/01/19 4:53am

PennyPurple

avatar

I kinda like Booker.

If Biden gets the nom, I'm worried he won't win against Trump. His ideas are old.

We need somebody young in office that will be able to handle the job.

Harris is always good, but again I don't think the US is ready for a woman as President. Maybe a Booker/Harris ticket.


I do not want medicare for all.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 08/01/19 6:42am

RodeoSchro

avatar

You want to know what the Founding Fathers thought about health care? It's right there in the Declaration of Independence. In fact, it's in the first two sentences of the Preamble:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--[82]That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

"Life" is an unalienable right bestowed upon us and our government was instituted to secure that right.

If you can't afford the medicine to keep you alive, your right to life has NOT been secured by the government.

If you can't afford the medical procedure needed to keep you alive, your right to life has NOT been secured by the government.

If you can't afford the medical check-ups needed to identify treatable illnesses that become terminal without treatment, your right to life has NOT been secured by the government.

Get it?

Health care is a RIGHT. Health care is LIFE. The government has an OBLIGATION to secure that right.

Not "access to health care". HEALTH CARE.

Those who think otherwise need to familiarize theirselves with the document that created our very independence.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 08/01/19 6:47am

BombSquad

avatar

Ideally speaking, the President of the United States and the dumbest person in the country would be two different people. Oh well.... money can't fix stupid
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 08/01/19 3:26pm

PennyPurple

avatar

IMO Healthcare isn't a right, it's a benefit.

RodeoSchro said:

You want to know what the Founding Fathers thought about health care? It's right there in the Declaration of Independence. In fact, it's in the first two sentences of the Preamble:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--[82]That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

"Life" is an unalienable right bestowed upon us and our government was instituted to secure that right.

If you can't afford the medicine to keep you alive, your right to life has NOT been secured by the government.

If you can't afford the medical procedure needed to keep you alive, your right to life has NOT been secured by the government.

If you can't afford the medical check-ups needed to identify treatable illnesses that become terminal without treatment, your right to life has NOT been secured by the government.

Get it?

Health care is a RIGHT. Health care is LIFE. The government has an OBLIGATION to secure that right.

Not "access to health care". HEALTH CARE.

Those who think otherwise need to familiarize theirselves with the document that created our very independence.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 08/01/19 4:16pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

I think it absolutely SHOULD be a right. And I think EVERYONE regardless of political biases can agree on, once you can get them past their egos and tribe mentalities.
I mean who thinks a society with people struggling to pay for medical care to heal themselves is a good idea? Who wants to see anyone physically suffering solely because they cant afford medical care? Who wants to see anyone under a mountain od debt because of illness or injury?

It's a moral argument that i don't think anyone but the most callous can make.

There are financial considerations of course, but the health of the people is a basic requirement to call any group a "society". Otherwise we live in something else.

PennyPurple said:

IMO Healthcare isn't a right, it's a benefit.

RodeoSchro said:

You want to know what the Founding Fathers thought about health care? It's right there in the Declaration of Independence. In fact, it's in the first two sentences of the Preamble:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--[82]That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

"Life" is an unalienable right bestowed upon us and our government was instituted to secure that right.

If you can't afford the medicine to keep you alive, your right to life has NOT been secured by the government.

If you can't afford the medical procedure needed to keep you alive, your right to life has NOT been secured by the government.

If you can't afford the medical check-ups needed to identify treatable illnesses that become terminal without treatment, your right to life has NOT been secured by the government.

Get it?

Health care is a RIGHT. Health care is LIFE. The government has an OBLIGATION to secure that right.

Not "access to health care". HEALTH CARE.

Those who think otherwise need to familiarize theirselves with the document that created our very independence.

[Edited 8/1/19 16:21pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 08/01/19 5:33pm

PennyPurple

avatar

I think everybody should have health insurance, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it is a 'right'. It is a benefit that would benefit everyone....IF DONE CORRECTLY.

We go to Canada to get cheaper scripts. Canada comes here to get healthcare.

As it stands right now, people who do not have insurance can not be turned away from a hospital. And trust me, a lot of people do not pay their hospital bills and it is written off.


We complain that we don't want government to make decsions about our bodies, but yet we want government to decide to give us all insurance under their rules. LOL


Most people who don't have insurance don't go to the Dr. anyways, they go to the ER.


I don't want my private insurance taken away, all they really have to do is expand Medicaid in the States, but most States won't do it. People get to keep their private insurance, uninsured gets Medicaid.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 08/01/19 5:59pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Well, we have been getting on the right track slowly, dragging the right-wing along kicking and screaming via lobbyists.

Obamacare has helped a lot of folks. People still go into debt. And you can go to the emergency room if you're about to die, but not for a long term condition or regular treatment. But its better thanks to Obama.

But who thinks it's a good idea to have EMERGENCY rooms even more crowded with non emergencies. And the costs to run an EMERGENCY room vs a clinic. And the debt collectors coming after someone who cant afford to pay in the first place.
It's not a good solution.
Expanding Medicare might be a good way, and i don't want to get rid of private medical care, but i think that as a public service the government must get deeper involved in medical care. There is a an economy of scale that a government run health care can provide as an ALTERNATIVE to private health care. Private health care needs competition. Competition is always a good thing. Especially when Insureance companies, pharmaceuticals and health care providers have been shown to conspire to rig prices.

PennyPurple said:

I think everybody should have health insurance, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it is a 'right'. It is a benefit that would benefit everyone....IF DONE CORRECTLY.

We go to Canada to get cheaper scripts. Canada comes here to get healthcare.

As it stands right now, people who do not have insurance can not be turned away from a hospital. And trust me, a lot of people do not pay their hospital bills and it is written off.


We complain that we don't want government to make decsions about our bodies, but yet we want government to decide to give us all insurance under their rules. LOL


Most people who don't have insurance don't go to the Dr. anyways, they go to the ER.


I don't want my private insurance taken away, all they really have to do is expand Medicaid in the States, but most States won't do it. People get to keep their private insurance, uninsured gets Medicaid.

[Edited 8/1/19 18:03pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 08/01/19 6:10pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

PennyPurple said:

IMO Healthcare isn't a right, it's a benefit.

RodeoSchro said:

You want to know what the Founding Fathers thought about health care? It's right there in the Declaration of Independence. In fact, it's in the first two sentences of the Preamble:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--[82]That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

"Life" is an unalienable right bestowed upon us and our government was instituted to secure that right.

If you can't afford the medicine to keep you alive, your right to life has NOT been secured by the government.

If you can't afford the medical procedure needed to keep you alive, your right to life has NOT been secured by the government.

If you can't afford the medical check-ups needed to identify treatable illnesses that become terminal without treatment, your right to life has NOT been secured by the government.

Get it?

Health care is a RIGHT. Health care is LIFE. The government has an OBLIGATION to secure that right.

Not "access to health care". HEALTH CARE.

Those who think otherwise need to familiarize theirselves with the document that created our very independence.




I believe the Founding Fathers disagree with you. As do I.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 08/01/19 6:37pm

PennyPurple

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

PennyPurple said:

IMO Healthcare isn't a right, it's a benefit.




I believe the Founding Fathers disagree with you. As do I.

That's ok, there's always a 1st time. smile


Did the Founding Fathers have insurance, or even know what Insurance was? smile

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 08/01/19 7:07pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

PennyPurple said:

RodeoSchro said:




I believe the Founding Fathers disagree with you. As do I.

That's ok, there's always a 1st time. smile


Did the Founding Fathers have insurance, or even know what Insurance was? smile

A prescription of leaches did not need co-pays

[Edited 8/1/19 19:34pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 08/01/19 7:17pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio hammers former Vice President Joe Biden on deportations that took place during the Obama administration.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio hammers former Vice President Joe Biden on deportations that took place during the Obama administration.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news/biden-and-de-blasio-square-off-over-obama-era-deportations/vi-AAF9Mpt?ocid=spartanntp

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 08/02/19 6:32am

RodeoSchro

avatar

PennyPurple said:

RodeoSchro said:




I believe the Founding Fathers disagree with you. As do I.

That's ok, there's always a 1st time. smile


Did the Founding Fathers have insurance, or even know what Insurance was? smile



Absolutely they knew what insurance was. Ben Franklin helped invent the concept.

https://www.pbs.org/benfr...rance.html


Benjamin Franklin was one of the early proponents of mutual insurance. In 1751, Franklin and his Union Fire Company met with other Philadelphia fire-fighting companies to discuss the formation of a fire insurance company. Out of those discussions, the Philadelphia Contributionship was formed, which was the first successful fire insurance company in the colonies. About seventy Philadelphians initially subscribed to the contributionship. In May 1752, the board of directors, of which Franklin was a member, decided to form an insurance company. Members agreed to make equal payments to the contributionship, which would be used to pay for losses any member would sustain through fire to his property.

The first policies had a term of seven years. After the policies expired, the premium money was returned to the policyholders. In the first year of operation, 143 policies were written. Ironically, there wasn't a single insured property that caught fire in the Philadelphia Contributionship's first year of operation.

Franklin also proposed other forms of insurance, including life insurance and annuities. In his Silence Dogood letters, he recommended insurance for widows and orphans, much like a current-day pension. Late in life, he also proposed crop insurance, based on the same type of organization as the Philadelphia Contributionship.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 08/02/19 6:35am

RodeoSchro

avatar

Fun fact - the fire insurance company that Franklin started would not insure a home that had a tree in front of it. They were too likely to catch fire from a lightning strike (which was something Franklin knew a little about!).

His company was the first fire insurance company in Philadelphia. Guess what the name of the SECOND fire insurance company was?

Green Tree Insurance!

It was founded to offer insurance for people who DID have a tree in front of their house.

Green Tree was acquired by Ditech a few years back.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 08/02/19 1:25pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

PennyPurple said:

That's ok, there's always a 1st time. smile


Did the Founding Fathers have insurance, or even know what Insurance was? smile



Absolutely they knew what insurance was. Ben Franklin helped invent the concept.

https://www.pbs.org/benfr...rance.html


Benjamin Franklin was one of the early proponents of mutual insurance. In 1751, Franklin and his Union Fire Company met with other Philadelphia fire-fighting companies to discuss the formation of a fire insurance company. Out of those discussions, the Philadelphia Contributionship was formed, which was the first successful fire insurance company in the colonies. About seventy Philadelphians initially subscribed to the contributionship. In May 1752, the board of directors, of which Franklin was a member, decided to form an insurance company. Members agreed to make equal payments to the contributionship, which would be used to pay for losses any member would sustain through fire to his property.

The first policies had a term of seven years. After the policies expired, the premium money was returned to the policyholders. In the first year of operation, 143 policies were written. Ironically, there wasn't a single insured property that caught fire in the Philadelphia Contributionship's first year of operation.

Franklin also proposed other forms of insurance, including life insurance and annuities. In his Silence Dogood letters, he recommended insurance for widows and orphans, much like a current-day pension. Late in life, he also proposed crop insurance, based on the same type of organization as the Philadelphia Contributionship.

Thanks for posting, Rodeo - very interesting. Just when I thought I knew all about the founding fathers' and their genius in forming a new union wink

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 08/02/19 1:49pm

Missmusicluver
72

I didn't really care for the CNN format of the debates. It felt a little rushed in that they had all these long introductions of the candidates and then by the time someone tried to answer their point they were cut off. Even with the same amount of candidates I think MSNBC did a much better job with the format.

Love is God, God is love, girls and boys love God above.
RIP Sweet Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 08/02/19 1:51pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

Missmusicluver72 said:

I didn't really care for the CNN format of the debates. It felt a little rushed in that they had all these long introductions of the candidates and then by the time someone tried to answer their point they were cut off. Even with the same amount of candidates I think MSNBC did a much better job with the format.


I did not care for any of the debate formats - antiquated

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 08/02/19 2:05pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

As to format, we need to give people more time to answer the questions instead of just sounds bites because of time restraints. It’s not fair to the candidates or those wanting learn about the candidates and to hear them out.
.
The party needs to have smaller debates earlier and weed people out by the time of the major televised debates. By this time we should already be at the top contenders Instead of however many, with most not even seriously viable.
.
But the CNN debates in my opinion were far far better than the silly mess by MSNBC. Those were ridiculous.
[Edited 8/2/19 14:08pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 08/04/19 3:29pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

The next debate is in Houston. I doubt I can score any tickets but my son probably can. Maybe I can be his +1!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 08/04/19 4:21pm

PennyPurple

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

The next debate is in Houston. I doubt I can score any tickets but my son probably can. Maybe I can be his +1!

That would be fantastic if you were able to attend.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 08/04/19 11:06pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

PennyPurple said:

I kinda like Booker.

If Biden gets the nom, I'm worried he won't win against Trump. His ideas are old.

We need somebody young in office that will be able to handle the job.

Harris is always good, but again I don't think the US is ready for a woman as President. Maybe a Booker/Harris ticket.


I do not want medicare for all.

Unfortunately because I had to work both evenings I missed the debate. I got to see highlights of

it however. I would love to have a younger person in office as well, however; Biden is that candidate that will punch Trump in his big mouth. He already told him he would take him out back anywhere and punch him. Biden will not take any crap off him. I agree the US is not gonna vote a woman is as President right now. I think a woman will have to make her mark as Vice President first.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 3 <123
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > CNN 2020 Democratic Debate July 30-31