independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 15th Nov 2019 6:03pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Right Wing Media: Blinded by the Right
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 02/10/19 4:26pm

poppys

DiminutiveRocker said:

herb4 said:

http://www.newshounds.us/...can_020619


Fox & Friends host Brian Kilmeade started off the show this morning by weaponizing Donald Trump’s State of the Union address last night. Instead of just praising the speech, Kilmeade used its “greatness” to suggest those who didn’t applaud are not really Americans.

KILMEADE: Overall, you can't imagine a more comfortable situation where he knows millions are watching all around the country and around the world. And it was hard not to applaud on maybe two-thirds of that speech if you are an American.

....

Well, nobody shouted out "YOU LIE!"

These people are insane


Fox News is the most unAmerican entity in broadcasting.


lol Holy shit, I forgot about YOU LIE! How much ya wanna bet there's some blackface in Joe Wilson's past?

politics: the art or science of government.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 02/12/19 4:32pm

herb4

avatar

with all this talk of another shutdown amidst arguments about funding for Trumps stupid fucking wall...

I thought MEXICO was supposed to pay for this dumb thing?

Any word on their contributions so far? Why don't the democrats get out in front of this messaging and drive it home? It's SO SIMPLE. Why doesn't the "liberal" media ask this question? Trump said it 100 times on the campaign trail.

I gotta hand it to FOX and AM radio in this regard becasue they run this shit into the fucking ground until it permeates the discourse ("If you like your doctor, you can keep youe doctor", "Spread the wealth", "Basket of Deplorables") when it suits thier narrative.

Why have I not seen one op ed, pundit or reporter mention that Trump said Mexico was gonna pay for this wall?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 02/13/19 3:28pm

uPtoWnNY

herb4 said:

Why don't the democrats get out in front of this messaging and drive it home?

Because they're total pussies

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 02/13/19 3:33pm

herb4

avatar

uPtoWnNY said:

herb4 said:

Why don't the democrats get out in front of this messaging and drive it home?

Because they're total pussies


No argument. Their lack of a spine is the main reason I remain a registered independent. Haivn said that, I'd rather vote for pussies than assholes, all things considered.

And, hey, as long as we're holding people accountable for the things they say and promise, how about we get Sean Hannity to finally agree to fufill his promise to be waterboarded?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 02/13/19 3:56pm

herb4

avatar

Nope. no fascism and state run media going on here

"I'd rather put an illegal alien in jail for DUI than white collar bank fraud." - Former ICE Director saying the quiet part loud


https://twitter.com/Jorda...20416?s=19

Of course it's FOX


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 02/13/19 4:19pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

herb4 said:

uPtoWnNY said:

Because they're total pussies


No argument. Their lack of a spine is the main reason I remain a registered independent. Haivn said that, I'd rather vote for pussies than assholes, all things considered.

And, hey, as long as we're holding people accountable for the things they say and promise, how about we get Sean Hannity to finally agree to fufill his promise to be waterboarded?


yes clapping lol

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 02/14/19 7:18am

happinessinits
uncutform

Some good points have been made but the thing is at the end of the day, we Can't put blame on the media for bias, prejudice and downright ignorance among Americans. What this country lacks is proper education on MEDIA LITERACY. Sure Media influence is a real thing like economy for instance - more than the actual numbers, what determines an individual's sentiment of current economy is psychological factors from what the person hears from the media yes. However, if someone were to believe the Earth is only 5000 years old because Fox news said so, he/she has no one to blame but themselves for being a hopeless idiot. (poor dude probably grew up in a household where folks 'protected' their children from science and facts. Scary how so many families do that here.) Especially in this day and age when fake news can easily get passed around as useful information thanks to the Internet it's more crucial than ever for PEOPLE to develop their media/information literacy, rather than blaming media...because it's just not going to change. Media has always been quote unquote EVIL and every media source, even independents have their own agenda just like we all have our opinions. Media has been the same, maybe slightly getting worse by the time but what we should really worry about is how people are getting DUMBER a lot faster.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 02/14/19 11:21am

13cjk13

And this.....

White House begged Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham to frame border deal as loss for Pelosi: CNN

Source: Raw Story/CNN

White House begged Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham to frame border deal as loss for Pelosi: CNN
TANA GANEVA
14 FEB 2019 AT 13:59 ET

As the threat of yet another government shutdown looms, the White House has been calling right-wing critics of the border wall deal, like Fox News’ Sean Hannity and begging them to spin the negotiations as a win for the President, CNN reports.

After negotiators reached a tentative deal to prevent another government shutdown, public figures like Sean Hannity ripped the deal, with Hannity calling it “garbage” and advising the president to declare a national emergency.

According to CNN, the Trump administration has been reaching out to critics of the deal, hoping to sway them into backing the president on it.

“You saw a big change in tone from people like Sean Hannity when he said he wasn’t happy with the deal but he believed the president would take some kind of executive action if he did sign the deal to avoid a government shutdown,” CNN’s Kaitlan Collins reported.

Read more: https://www.rawstory.com/...ifications

"If we had had confidence the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 02/14/19 2:41pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

13cjk13 said:

And this.....

White House begged Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham to frame border deal as loss for Pelosi: CNN

Source: Raw Story/CNN

White House begged Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham to frame border deal as loss for Pelosi: CNN
TANA GANEVA
14 FEB 2019 AT 13:59 ET

As the threat of yet another government shutdown looms, the White House has been calling right-wing critics of the border wall deal, like Fox News’ Sean Hannity and begging them to spin the negotiations as a win for the President, CNN reports.

After negotiators reached a tentative deal to prevent another government shutdown, public figures like Sean Hannity ripped the deal, with Hannity calling it “garbage” and advising the president to declare a national emergency.

According to CNN, the Trump administration has been reaching out to critics of the deal, hoping to sway them into backing the president on it.

“You saw a big change in tone from people like Sean Hannity when he said he wasn’t happy with the deal but he believed the president would take some kind of executive action if he did sign the deal to avoid a government shutdown,” CNN’s Kaitlan Collins reported.

Read more: https://www.rawstory.com/...ifications



rolleyes watch his "border emergency" get tied up in the courts. Win? spit

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 02/14/19 3:55pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

Fox News spoon feeds lies to the 30% and they believe every word - facts be damned.





Secretary of State Mike Pompeo took to Sean Hannity on Thursday night to make the case for President Trump’s border wall. And why did he say we need it? Terrorism. “There’s lots of risks associated,” Pompeo said of a wall-free U.S.-Mexico border, adding: “It includes the risk that we have terrorists come across that border.”

Except that that risk has been virtually nonexistent — according to the very State Department that Pompeo leads. The department’s Bureau of Counterterrorism wrote in July 2017 that there was “no credible information that any member of a terrorist group has traveled through Mexico to gain access to the United States."

Pompeo didn’t technically say any terrorist had come across the border, but he didn’t have to. Comments like this — and more direct, false allegations made by Trump and Vice President Pence, among others — have fed a false narrative that suspected terrorists are streaming past the southern border at a rate of as many as 10 per day. These misleading and false claims are being repeated with regularity on Fox News and in other conservative media as the government shutdown hinges on Trump’s demand for a border wall.

On the same show where Pompeo appeared, Hannity alluded to terrorists coming across the border no fewer than three times. “How long are we going to witness ... the infiltration of gangs and even terrorists that we have identified trying to cross our border illegally?” he asked in his opening monologue. “We have terrorists that we have stopped crossing our border,” he claimed later. And just before the Pompeo quote above, Hannity supplied the premise that, “We’ve been able to apprehend 3,700 people that we’ve identified as having ties to terror.”

Except ... that number is not about the U.S.-Mexico border. It’s true that 10 actual and suspected t...are caught trying to enter the United States daily, according to government data. But according to the State Department, none have been apprehended at the southern border.

Yet the argument that terrorists are targeting the southern border constantly gets recycled, thanks to some willing conduits in powerful places.

“Last year alone, the department [of Homeland Security] prevented more than 3,700 known or suspected terrorists from traveling to or entering into the United States. Just last year!” House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) wrote on Fox News’s website this week in an op-ed about the border wall. What Scalise didn’t say, of course, is that none of them was at the southern border; in fact, this is the number for all people who attempt to enter all ports of entry, including through airports.

Scalise allowed the likes of Hannity to falsely connect the dots. Pompeo didn’t correct Hannity directly, either; he fed Hannity’s false premise, even though Hannity’s injection of the 3,700 statistic came as they were specifically discussing the southern border:

Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, too, did her part. “We are also concerned about potential terrorists as well, as you know,” she said at Wednesday’s Cabinet meeting. “In 2018 alone, we apprehended 3,000 special-interest aliens coming into our country along the southern border. These are aliens that have travel patterns or other characteristics of concern to the intelligence community.”

Nielsen, you’ll note, didn’t describe these 3,000 “special-interest aliens” as “suspected terrorists." And you can bet she would have if there were credible evidence. As the libertarian Cato Institute writes, the definition of “special interest” could “could apply to nearly eve... the world, as just about every major country has ‘produced’ or ‘exported’ at least one terrorist.” But she did offer the statistic after mentioning “terrorists,” so the dots were there for the connecting.

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 02/14/19 4:12pm

13cjk13

DiminutiveRocker said:

Fox News spoon feeds lies to the 30% and they believe every word - facts be damned.





Secretary of State Mike Pompeo took to Sean Hannity on Thursday night to make the case for President Trump’s border wall. And why did he say we need it? Terrorism. “There’s lots of risks associated,” Pompeo said of a wall-free U.S.-Mexico border, adding: “It includes the risk that we have terrorists come across that border.”

Except that that risk has been virtually nonexistent — according to the very State Department that Pompeo leads. The department’s Bureau of Counterterrorism wrote in July 2017 that there was “no credible information that any member of a terrorist group has traveled through Mexico to gain access to the United States."

Pompeo didn’t technically say any terrorist had come across the border, but he didn’t have to. Comments like this — and more direct, false allegations made by Trump and Vice President Pence, among others — have fed a false narrative that suspected terrorists are streaming past the southern border at a rate of as many as 10 per day. These misleading and false claims are being repeated with regularity on Fox News and in other conservative media as the government shutdown hinges on Trump’s demand for a border wall.

On the same show where Pompeo appeared, Hannity alluded to terrorists coming across the border no fewer than three times. “How long are we going to witness ... the infiltration of gangs and even terrorists that we have identified trying to cross our border illegally?” he asked in his opening monologue. “We have terrorists that we have stopped crossing our border,” he claimed later. And just before the Pompeo quote above, Hannity supplied the premise that, “We’ve been able to apprehend 3,700 people that we’ve identified as having ties to terror.”

Except ... that number is not about the U.S.-Mexico border. It’s true that 10 actual and suspected t...are caught trying to enter the United States daily, according to government data. But according to the State Department, none have been apprehended at the southern border.

Yet the argument that terrorists are targeting the southern border constantly gets recycled, thanks to some willing conduits in powerful places.

“Last year alone, the department [of Homeland Security] prevented more than 3,700 known or suspected terrorists from traveling to or entering into the United States. Just last year!” House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) wrote on Fox News’s website this week in an op-ed about the border wall. What Scalise didn’t say, of course, is that none of them was at the southern border; in fact, this is the number for all people who attempt to enter all ports of entry, including through airports.

Scalise allowed the likes of Hannity to falsely connect the dots. Pompeo didn’t correct Hannity directly, either; he fed Hannity’s false premise, even though Hannity’s injection of the 3,700 statistic came as they were specifically discussing the southern border:

Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, too, did her part. “We are also concerned about potential terrorists as well, as you know,” she said at Wednesday’s Cabinet meeting. “In 2018 alone, we apprehended 3,000 special-interest aliens coming into our country along the southern border. These are aliens that have travel patterns or other characteristics of concern to the intelligence community.”

Nielsen, you’ll note, didn’t describe these 3,000 “special-interest aliens” as “suspected terrorists." And you can bet she would have if there were credible evidence. As the libertarian Cato Institute writes, the definition of “special interest” could “could apply to nearly eve... the world, as just about every major country has ‘produced’ or ‘exported’ at least one terrorist.” But she did offer the statistic after mentioning “terrorists,” so the dots were there for the connecting.

It is so fucking sickening. This administration is so full of dangerous,lying assholes. It really is unbelievable that 30 percent of americans believe this shit. I guess their fear and racism thrive on it. Pathetic.

"If we had had confidence the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 02/14/19 5:05pm

poppys

It's less than 30% of the less than 60% who voted. Let's not catatrophize, it's bad enough already.

politics: the art or science of government.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 02/14/19 5:08pm

13cjk13

poppys said:

It's less than 30% of the less than 60% who voted. Let's not catatrophize, it's bad enough already.

I guess you're right! That made my day. biggrin

"If we had had confidence the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 02/14/19 6:17pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

I had tuned out of the Trump and Fox lunacy for a couple of weeks, and having come back to take a peek, it doesn’t even feel like anyone believes in anything.

The Fox “news” weirdos in particular, look like feuding families on Facebook. Crazy aunts uncles with egos and axes to grind over age old slights that have no resemblance to sane adult behavior much less policy.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 02/14/19 6:21pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

I had tuned out of the Trump and Fox lunacy for a couple of weeks, and having come back to take a peek, it doesn’t even feel like anyone believes in anything. The Fox “news” weirdos in particular, look like feuding families on Facebook. Crazy aunts uncles with egos and axes to grind over age old slights that have no resemblance to sane adult behavior much less policy.


nod spewing misinformation and coercing a whole sector of society to remain blind. Willful Ignornace in a nutshell.

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 02/14/19 6:56pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 02/15/19 3:49pm

herb4

avatar

I went poking around FOX and Drudge to try and find what I was certain would be abject outrage at Trump's ide to fund the wall by rerouting funding marked for HOMES FOR MILITARY FAMILIES and, oddly, did not see it being reported.

GOd damn, can you fucking imagine the 24/7 outrage if Obama had tried this?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 02/15/19 3:51pm

13cjk13

herb4 said:

I went poking around FOX and Drudge to try and find what I was certain would be abject outrage at Trump's ide to fund the wall by rerouting funding marked for HOMES FOR MILITARY FAMILIES and, oddly, did not see it being reported.

GOd damn, can you fucking imagine the 24/7 outrage if Obama had tried this?

It is really crazy and unbelievable how twisted these people are.

"If we had had confidence the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 02/15/19 4:08pm

herb4

avatar

13cjk13 said:

herb4 said:

I went poking around FOX and Drudge to try and find what I was certain would be abject outrage at Trump's ide to fund the wall by rerouting funding marked for HOMES FOR MILITARY FAMILIES and, oddly, did not see it being reported.

GOd damn, can you fucking imagine the 24/7 outrage if Obama had tried this?

It is really crazy and unbelievable how twisted these people are.


I just can't believe the cognitive dissonance from the "USA! USA!" and "R-TROOPS" crowd required to overlook something like this and justify it. It's like a fucking cult. These people shit their pants over an NFL player taking a knee and worship the flag while their hero is literally taking money away from military families.

Holy shit. I found an article where FOX mentions it


https://www.foxnews.com/u...d-the-wall

No comments section for some reason...



Here's the excert if you don't want to give FOX website clicks

A more likely option is the military construction account that's used to upgrade bases and facilities.

Congressional aides said there is $21 billion available. That includes about $10 billion in funds from the current 2019 fiscal year that ends Sept. 30, and $11 billion remaining from the previous four years, said the aides. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak publicly about the funding details.

But tapping the military construction money also may hit resistance. The money often goes for improvements to housing, roads, hospitals and other facilities, and can be used to eliminate mold or other hazardous problems at military installations in congressional districts across the nation and around the globe.

As an example, the aides said, there is funding for a medical facility at a U.S. base in Germany that has been partially constructed. If those funds were used, the medical center could be left half built.

The president can decide to use military construction funds, but it will be up to the Defense Department to determine which specific projects would lose their money, the aides said.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 02/15/19 4:25pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

The problem is, mainstream media “tries” to be fair. Fox and Drudge and Limbaugh none of them even try. On the contrary and we we a microcosm of it here, they go out of their way in their search of confirmation bias.

The level of confirmation bias by the right is not just off the charts, that’s all it is! If you have an opinion, you seek ANYTHING to find justification. Again, we see that modus operendi here on a small level and see it in right wing media on a massive scale.

Hell, they even went out of their way with social media, Facebook, Twitter to pay to manipulate it. Hired foreign formerly enemy states to help them. The right of our party is indeed crazy but worse than that it has become incredibly dangerous.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 02/15/19 6:16pm

herb4

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

The problem is, mainstream media “tries” to be fair. Fox and Drudge and Limbaugh none of them even try. On the contrary and we we a microcosm of it here, they go out of their way in their search of confirmation bias. The level of confirmation bias by the right is not just off the charts, that’s all it is! If you have an opinion, you seek ANYTHING to find justification. Again, we see that modus operendi here on a small level and see it in right wing media on a massive scale. Hell, they even went out of their way with social media, Facebook, Twitter to pay to manipulate it. Hired foreign formerly enemy states to help them. The right of our party is indeed crazy but worse than that it has become incredibly dangerous.

Plus it's projection all the way down because this is exactly what they think liberals do and how they consume news.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 02/15/19 7:24pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

herb4 said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


The problem is, mainstream media “tries” to be fair. Fox and Drudge and Limbaugh none of them even try. On the contrary and we we a microcosm of it here, they go out of their way in their search of confirmation bias. The level of confirmation bias by the right is not just off the charts, that’s all it is! If you have an opinion, you seek ANYTHING to find justification. Again, we see that modus operendi here on a small level and see it in right wing media on a massive scale. Hell, they even went out of their way with social media, Facebook, Twitter to pay to manipulate it. Hired foreign formerly enemy states to help them. The right of our party is indeed crazy but worse than that it has become incredibly dangerous.


Plus it's projection all the way down because this is exactly what they think liberals do and how they consume news.



True, but of course, quantifiably you’re being far more fair in this conclusion that they would ever be.
[Edited 2/16/19 8:21am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 02/17/19 11:07am

guitarslinger4
4

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

Those who get their news, information and opinions from left-wing media are bad Americans and should not be trusted.



See what I did there? See how easy that is? You're being way too simplistic, especially when CNN was the news outlet that INVENTED "news entertainment."

We are in a much more dangerous time than I think anyone realizes and we slipped into it even before Trump took office.

Our news system is broken. News outlets of stripes are money making machines, putting the bottom line above reporting an informing the public. AP and Reuters are about the only really good ones left, most the others are junk. When there's little to no sense of what the truth really is, everything is a lie until proven true. Anyone who knowingly puts their own narrative above the truth is a bad actor, a liar, and should be a candidate for deplatforming whether they're left, right, or anywhere else.

How are we much different from North Korea when we can't tell what is truth and what's a lie with any degree of certainty? We clutch our pearls and say how horrible it is when countries like Venezuela only really have one viable option on the ballot and somehow were a whole lot better because we have two.

Much like the craziest people always think they're sane and everyone else is crazy, the dumbest people are usually the ones who think they're smart ones and get by on being smug because it's like jacking off, it makes them feel good, And they keep ignoring the shit piled up in their own back yard because they're too busy yelling about their neighbors' shit. CNN/Fox/etc rely on this. Anyone who takes pride in being "one of the smart ones" while watching an obviously slanted news outlet is a dupe and is part of the problem.

[Edited 2/17/19 11:24am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 02/17/19 11:28am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

guitarslinger44 said:

RodeoSchro said:

Those who get their news, information and opinions from left-wing media are bad Americans and should not be trusted.



See what I did there? See how easy that is? You're being way too simplistic, especially when CNN was the news outlet that INVENTED "news entertainment."

We are in a much more dangerous time than I think anyone realizes and we slipped into it even before Trump took office.

Our news system is broken. News outlets of stripes are money making machines, putting the bottom line above reporting an informing the public. AP and Reuters are about the only really good ones left, most the others are junk. When there's little to no sense of what the truth really is, everything is a lie until proven true. Anyone who knowingly puts their own narrative above the truth is a bad actor, a liar, and should be a candidate for deplatforming whether they're left, right, or anywhere else.

How are we much different from North Korea when we can't tell what is truth and what's a lie with any degree of certainty? We clutch our pearls and say how horrible it is when countries like Venezuela only really have one viable option on the ballot and somehow were a whole lot better because we have two.

Much like the craziest people always think they're sane and everyone else is crazy, the dumbest people are usually the ones who think they're smart ones and get by on being smug because it's like jacking off, it makes them feel good, And they keep ignoring the shit piled up in their own back yard because they're too busy yelling about their neighbors' shit. CNN/Fox/etc rely on this. Anyone who takes pride in being "one of the smart ones" while watching an obviously slanted news outlet is a dupe and is part of the problem.

[Edited 2/17/19 11:24am]


As a self described liberal, I will not watch MSNBC or anything that is just an echo chamber. I want to learn things. Left news sites will never be as big as right wing sites for that exact reason. Who wants bias in their news? If it’s a form of entertainment for you than perhaps. But I will say that right wing media targets the less informed, the senile elderly and any other fool who could care less a pout bias.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 02/17/19 11:52am

poppys

herb4 said:

13cjk13 said:

It is really crazy and unbelievable how twisted these people are.


I just can't believe the cognitive dissonance from the "USA! USA!" and "R-TROOPS" crowd required to overlook something like this and justify it. It's like a fucking cult. These people shit their pants over an NFL player taking a knee and worship the flag while their hero is literally taking money away from military families.

Holy shit. I found an article where FOX mentions it


https://www.foxnews.com/u...d-the-wall

No comments section for some reason...



Here's the excert if you don't want to give FOX website clicks

A more likely option is the military construction account that's used to upgrade bases and facilities.

Congressional aides said there is $21 billion available. That includes about $10 billion in funds from the current 2019 fiscal year that ends Sept. 30, and $11 billion remaining from the previous four years, said the aides. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak publicly about the funding details.

But tapping the military construction money also may hit resistance. The money often goes for improvements to housing, roads, hospitals and other facilities, and can be used to eliminate mold or other hazardous problems at military installations in congressional districts across the nation and around the globe.

As an example, the aides said, there is funding for a medical facility at a U.S. base in Germany that has been partially constructed. If those funds were used, the medical center could be left half built.

The president can decide to use military construction funds, but it will be up to the Defense Department to determine which specific projects would lose their money, the aides said.



Wow, that is really something.

click2houston.com

Acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said, beginning Sunday, he will start studying which projects military money may come from to shift funds toward a border wall following President Donald Trump's national emergency declaration.

politics: the art or science of government.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 02/17/19 1:33pm

herb4

avatar

guitarslinger44 said:

RodeoSchro said:

Those who get their news, information and opinions from left-wing media are bad Americans and should not be trusted.

See what I did there? See how easy that is? You're being way too simplistic, especially when CNN was the news outlet that INVENTED "news entertainment." We are in a much more dangerous time than I think anyone realizes and we slipped into it even before Trump took office. Our news system is broken. News outlets of stripes are money making machines, putting the bottom line above reporting an informing the public. AP and Reuters are about the only really good ones left, most the others are junk. When there's little to no sense of what the truth really is, everything is a lie until proven true. Anyone who knowingly puts their own narrative above the truth is a bad actor, a liar, and should be a candidate for deplatforming whether they're left, right, or anywhere else. How are we much different from North Korea when we can't tell what is truth and what's a lie with any degree of certainty? We clutch our pearls and say how horrible it is when countries like Venezuela only really have one viable option on the ballot and somehow were a whole lot better because we have two. Much like the craziest people always think they're sane and everyone else is crazy, the dumbest people are usually the ones who think they're smart ones and get by on being smug because it's like jacking off, it makes them feel good, And they keep ignoring the shit piled up in their own back yard because they're too busy yelling about their neighbors' shit. CNN/Fox/etc rely on this. Anyone who takes pride in being "one of the smart ones" while watching an obviously slanted news outlet is a dupe and is part of the problem. [Edited 2/17/19 11:24am]


Well, you're largely correct that our media is beholden to revenue, mainly related to advertising (which I believe is the root of all evil and a destroyer of an ainformed society - but that's a another topic).

You're incorrect that CNN invented "entertainment news" though. They inveneted the 24/7 cycle, whcih may have led to the creation of news to fill time, but nothing...and I mean NOTHING they do is on a level of what FOX and am radio do every single day as a matter of course.

This is not a "both sides" situation and I'm growing weary of people standing on the sidelines proclaiming that both sides do the same thing. They don't. CNN is largely shit, for the reasons you mentioned, but they don't abjectly lie to my fucking face on purpose and decide what "news" is ahead of time, filling thier time with information that confirms it, the way that FOX does.

It was FOX that invented "entertainment" news in the wake of 9/11. They were the first station to use a news crawl and flashy graphics for instance. Our media system is largely broken (and it's due to capitalism and addvertising) but information is out there if you seek it out and verify it. FOX NEws watchers view FOX - and ONLY FOX - because it feeds into their confirmation bias. A lot of them think FOX is too liberal.

Most conservatives I know tend to start with a conclusion first (that liberals are bad, guns are good, media is biased and Christ is our lord and savior with Christianity being the one true religion.) and then work backwards to find information that supports these conclusions. Most liberals I know absorb information, fact check it, cross source it and generally attempt to discern truth from fiction. They can adapt and change as our world view evolves

You almost have to constantly drag conservatives kicking and screaming into any sort of modern perspective lens and any attempt at adjusting their thought processes. That's why they're called "conservatives". THey hate change and are always the last to know anything as a result. CNN isn't denying climate change, advocating for armed teachers in schools, demanding to see Obama's birth certificate of doing stories about pedophelia rings in pizza shops. HLN in particular generally gives me a decent baseline for things that are going on the world.

FOX kicks off the day with FOX & Friends and bascially starts off the "news" with bullshit like the "War on Christmas", MS13 invasions and how crazy Ocasio Cortez is. There have been a few books written by actual journalists descrbing their time spent working at FOX NEws and how they do things.

"An Atheist in the Fox Hole" and "Blinded by the Right" are recommended reading for anyone interested in that sort of thing. It's propaganda plain and simple. CNN and mainstream outlets are just ratings driven commercial outlets, not straight up state run media.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 02/18/19 10:16am

herb4

avatar

For instance:


Flashback: When Trump and Fox & Friends Thought Executive Action On Immigration Was Unconstitutional And Impeachable


In 2014, when Donald Trump blasted President Barack Obama for using executive action on immigration, he said Obama “certainly” deserved impeachment for it – and the three hosts of Fox & Friends sounded all in. But the show erased history now that Trump has done what he claimed to oppose so vehemently.


http://www.newshounds.us/...6JkV.99≈

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 02/18/19 10:21am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

herb4 said:

For instance:


Flashback: When Trump and Fox & Friends Thought Executive Action On Immigration Was Unconstitutional And Impeachable


In 2014, when Donald Trump blasted President Barack Obama for using executive action on immigration, he said Obama “certainly” deserved impeachment for it – and the three hosts of Fox & Friends sounded all in. But the show erased history now that Trump has done what he claimed to oppose so vehemently.


http://www.newshounds.us/...6JkV.99≈


Exactly! Double standard much?

"Families are torn apart, men women and children are separated. Children come home from school to find their parents have gone missing." - Anne Frank
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 02/18/19 1:48pm

guitarslinger4
4

avatar

herb4 said:



guitarslinger44 said:


RodeoSchro said:

Those who get their news, information and opinions from left-wing media are bad Americans and should not be trusted.



See what I did there? See how easy that is? You're being way too simplistic, especially when CNN was the news outlet that INVENTED "news entertainment." We are in a much more dangerous time than I think anyone realizes and we slipped into it even before Trump took office. Our news system is broken. News outlets of stripes are money making machines, putting the bottom line above reporting an informing the public. AP and Reuters are about the only really good ones left, most the others are junk. When there's little to no sense of what the truth really is, everything is a lie until proven true. Anyone who knowingly puts their own narrative above the truth is a bad actor, a liar, and should be a candidate for deplatforming whether they're left, right, or anywhere else. How are we much different from North Korea when we can't tell what is truth and what's a lie with any degree of certainty? We clutch our pearls and say how horrible it is when countries like Venezuela only really have one viable option on the ballot and somehow were a whole lot better because we have two. Much like the craziest people always think they're sane and everyone else is crazy, the dumbest people are usually the ones who think they're smart ones and get by on being smug because it's like jacking off, it makes them feel good, And they keep ignoring the shit piled up in their own back yard because they're too busy yelling about their neighbors' shit. CNN/Fox/etc rely on this. Anyone who takes pride in being "one of the smart ones" while watching an obviously slanted news outlet is a dupe and is part of the problem. [Edited 2/17/19 11:24am]


Well, you're largely correct that our media is beholden to revenue, mainly related to advertising (which I believe is the root of all evil and a destroyer of an ainformed society - but that's a another topic).

You're incorrect that CNN invented "entertainment news" though. They inveneted the 24/7 cycle, whcih may have led to the creation of news to fill time, but nothing...and I mean NOTHING they do is on a level of what FOX and am radio do every single day as a matter of course.

This is not a "both sides" situation and I'm growing weary of people standing on the sidelines proclaiming that both sides do the same thing. They don't. CNN is largely shit, for the reasons you mentioned, but they don't abjectly lie to my fucking face on purpose and decide what "news" is ahead of time, filling thier time with information that confirms it, the way that FOX does.

It was FOX that invented "entertainment" news in the wake of 9/11. They were the first station to use a news crawl and flashy graphics for instance. Our media system is largely broken (and it's due to capitalism and addvertising) but information is out there if you seek it out and verify it. FOX NEws watchers view FOX - and ONLY FOX - because it feeds into their confirmation bias. A lot of them think FOX is too liberal.

Most conservatives I know tend to start with a conclusion first (that liberals are bad, guns are good, media is biased and Christ is our lord and savior with Christianity being the one true religion.) and then work backwards to find information that supports these conclusions. Most liberals I know absorb information, fact check it, cross source it and generally attempt to discern truth from fiction. They can adapt and change as our world view evolves

You almost have to constantly drag conservatives kicking and screaming into any sort of modern perspective lens and any attempt at adjusting their thought processes. That's why they're called "conservatives". THey hate change and are always the last to know anything as a result. CNN isn't denying climate change, advocating for armed teachers in schools, demanding to see Obama's birth certificate of doing stories about pedophelia rings in pizza shops. HLN in particular generally gives me a decent baseline for things that are going on the world.

FOX kicks off the day with FOX & Friends and bascially starts off the "news" with bullshit like the "War on Christmas", MS13 invasions and how crazy Ocasio Cortez is. There have been a few books written by actual journalists descrbing their time spent working at FOX NEws and how they do things.

"An Atheist in the Fox Hole" and "Blinded by the Right" are recommended reading for anyone interested in that sort of thing. It's propaganda plain and simple. CNN and mainstream outlets are just ratings driven commercial outlets, not straight up state run media.



Rupert Murdoch created Fox news after seeing the ratings CNN got for its coverage of the OJ Simpson trial.

I agree with you that a lot of conservatives dig their heels in and won't budge on a lot of things that are inevitable, but lefties (who are different from liberals imo) are like that friend everyone has who always buys the newest iteration of any tech gadget no matter how shitty it is and declares that anyone who doesn't agree with their choice is an idiot and a Luddite, regardless of the merit of said device. There's a hair's degree of difference between them though. I find the left wingers are just as bad if not worse than the right wingers because a lot of them front with the same uninformed crap, but then they can't wait to tell you how awesome they are for having whatever beliefs they have.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 02/18/19 5:04pm

herb4

avatar

While I agree that liberals can be misinformed, I disagree that they willfully lie and mislead with impunity the way FOX and talk radio does.

Also, I remember RWM types screaming about voter fraud but they've been oddly silent on this:

Election fraud in North Carolina.

RALEIGH, N.C. — A key witness testified Monday that she engaged in fraudulent and illegal activity involving absentee ballots in a congressional race in North Carolina as part of a get-out-the vote operation to benefit the Republican congressional candidate in a race that is still unresolved.

She admitted taking absentee ballots for money and discarding them.
She was urged to plead the 5th and not testify. This is madness— democracy is up for sale.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article226263575.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/key-witness-testifies-tampering-absentee-ballots-n-c-house-race-n972896

[Edited 2/19/19 11:41am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Right Wing Media: Blinded by the Right