independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 20th Jul 2019 4:56pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Riot hits north London after police shooting death
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 13 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 08/08/11 5:17pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

Marrk said:

SquirrelMeat said:

Confirmation nothing. Its on the screen in front of me now. No racial motive or intent. It shouldn't be brushed under the carpet either.

The cause is wankers and poverty, but why has it set so strongly across these groups? I was born and bred in Tottenham, and even in 85 poverty knew less colour. The last government clearly let them down.

Thank goodness the Tories are back to save us all. Can't wait for the cuts to kick in and there'll be LESS police on our streets. We'll cope then.

Somehow i think they will rethink cuts to front line police!

Who's looking forward to the massive spiral in house and car insurance by the way??

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 08/08/11 5:18pm

Ellie

avatar

elmer said:

Ellie said:

The big police station here in Bow is a minute walk from my flat but we're over a bit away from the high streets so I don't expect much to happen right here. I'd be shit scared if I was on a main road.

That's traffic police though ain't it? The estates behind the station can be a little foreboding on the best of nights. You got nice little gentrified corners in mile end, but fuck, I'd rather be somewhere like Wanstead, as I'm sure you would right now

Oh is it? I haven't lived here for too long. If there are any signs it might carry on tomorrow I'm going home to stay with my Dad in Twickenham.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 08/08/11 5:19pm

TypoQueen

Marrk said:

SquirrelMeat said:

Confirmation nothing. Its on the screen in front of me now. No racial motive or intent. It shouldn't be brushed under the carpet either.

The cause is wankers and poverty, but why has it set so strongly across these groups? I was born and bred in Tottenham, and even in 85 poverty knew less colour. The last government clearly let them down.

Thank goodness the Tories are back to save us all. Can't wait for the cuts to kick in and there'll be LESS police on our streets. We'll cope then.

They will back track and tax the hell outa us.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 08/08/11 5:21pm

Ellie

avatar

This is my favourite video of the night:

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 08/08/11 5:21pm

razor

SquirrelMeat said:



razor said:




SquirrelMeat said:




Yeah, apologies, I am generalising on the drinking.



But there is no doubt that the youth on TV are Blair babies. There is also no getting away with the fact that 99% of those we can see on TV are from ethinic minority groups. Now of course I don't mean "its because", but it begs the question why? And what has gone wrong with the basic fabric of society?




Confirmation bias. People of all stripes are involved. Maybe you saw what you wanted to see?



The cause is wankers and poverty. Often being one creates the other (both ways).




[Edited 8/8/11 17:04pm]





Confirmation nothing. Its on the screen in front of me now. No racial motive or intent. It shouldn't be brushed under the carpet either.



The cause is wankers and poverty, but why has it set so strongly across these groups? I was born and bred in Tottenham, and even in 85 poverty knew less colour. The last government clearly let them down.



BS. The 85 riots were entirely race based: black youths protesting police brutality.

Watch the footage from tottenham again. you'll see Jews, whites, Asians, blacks, and every other category that makes up the place.
"He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; and he that dares not reason is a slave." - William Drummond
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 08/08/11 5:25pm

ElectricBerry

avatar

Just spoken to my friend who lives in Ealing, the rioters have caused havoc in the town centre there and she lives close by. This is getting ridiculously out of control, a new town is being targeted nearly every hour.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 08/08/11 5:27pm

elmer

Ellie said:

elmer said:

That's traffic police though ain't it? The estates behind the station can be a little foreboding on the best of nights. You got nice little gentrified corners in mile end, but fuck, I'd rather be somewhere like Wanstead, as I'm sure you would right now

Oh is it? I haven't lived here for too long. If there are any signs it might carry on tomorrow I'm going home to stay with my Dad in Twickenham.

I'm not sure now, it was when I was knocking around there in the late '90s. It's probable that most of the mile end hoodlums are making up the numbers in Hackney.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 08/08/11 5:28pm

ISF

razor said:

ISF said:

That stat is from the very same guardian article you originally referenced. I'm guessing you saw a headline that suited your outlook, but didn't bother to read on? Police "murder"? Neither you nor I know what happened. Again, your use of language is irresponsible. Your last statement we can both agree on.

I did read, I missed that. I find the other 25% totally unacceptable. Also, I don't believe that 3/4 of those people were so drunk/high that they died whilst in police custody. They may have been drunk/high and more likely to die from injuries.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 08/08/11 5:30pm

Marrk

avatar

elmer said:

Perhaps if these moaning twats who are as thick as pigshit concentrated in school, they'd have jobs or be at college or Uni with some hope for their future. Or at least be able to communicate using the english language.

That's the life they choose and they moan about it. Well, fuck those stupid fuckers. They've got themselves to blame. You apply yourself, you achieve. Plenty before them have proved that.

Of course it's easier to steal from a ransacked shop.That's the philosophy, something for nothing.

Send 'em all down for 10 years. Those Nike's won't look so flash when they get out.

I'm ashamed of the UK.

[Edited 8/8/11 17:41pm]

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 08/08/11 5:36pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

razor said:

SquirrelMeat said:

Confirmation nothing. Its on the screen in front of me now. No racial motive or intent. It shouldn't be brushed under the carpet either.

The cause is wankers and poverty, but why has it set so strongly across these groups? I was born and bred in Tottenham, and even in 85 poverty knew less colour. The last government clearly let them down.

BS. The 85 riots were entirely race based: black youths protesting police brutality. Watch the footage from tottenham again. you'll see Jews, whites, Asians, blacks, and every other category that makes up the place.

You are not reading what I am saying. in 85, when I lived there, I said poverty was colourless, not the riots. It was a poor, shitty place to grow up.

The tottenham 11 footage is on the screen now. And the Sky reporter has a iphone right in the faces of the Croydon rioters. Its all races, but it is hugely weighted. I don't mean the hoards standing around. I mean the live looting. Its right there on the screen.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that race plays a part in rioting, I'm simply saying that the fact that the vast majority of those caught on screen point to a forgotten or mistreated section of society.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 08/08/11 5:38pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

These are kids who don't have jobs or hope and they act out with violence.

Get used to more of this.

The violence was awful, but this is what happens with austerity.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 08/08/11 5:41pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

These are kids who don't have jobs or hope and they act out with violence.

Get used to more of this.

The violence was awful, but this is what happens with austerity.

Sad, but true.

The more worrying aspect is seeing school kids doing it.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 08/08/11 5:47pm

razor

SquirrelMeat said:



razor said:


SquirrelMeat said:




Confirmation nothing. Its on the screen in front of me now. No racial motive or intent. It shouldn't be brushed under the carpet either.



The cause is wankers and poverty, but why has it set so strongly across these groups? I was born and bred in Tottenham, and even in 85 poverty knew less colour. The last government clearly let them down.



BS. The 85 riots were entirely race based: black youths protesting police brutality. Watch the footage from tottenham again. you'll see Jews, whites, Asians, blacks, and every other category that makes up the place.


You are not reading what I am saying. in 85, when I lived there, I said poverty was colourless, not the riots. It was a poor, shitty place to grow up.



The tottenham 11 footage is on the screen now. And the Sky reporter has a iphone right in the faces of the Croydon rioters. Its all races, but it is hugely weighted. I don't mean the hoards standing around. I mean the live looting. Its right there on the screen.




I'm not suggesting for a minute that race plays a part in rioting, I'm simply saying that the fact that the vast majority of those caught on screen point to a forgotten or mistreated section of society.



Ok. I guess neither of us really know the facts yet. My point is that it's important no-one turns this into a daily-mail hate fest ( nor a guardian alternative). We should wait for facts before being certain on anything. We should especially avoid attaching too much party political significance to what I would guess is nothong more than a bunch of poor scallies who would find cause to riot no matter who was in charge.




[Edited 8/8/11 18:34pm]
"He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; and he that dares not reason is a slave." - William Drummond
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 08/08/11 5:49pm

elmer

Marrk said:

Perhaps if these moaning twats who are as thick as pigshit concentrated in school, they'd have jobs or be at college or Uni with some hope for their future. Or at least be able to communicate using the english language.

That's the life they choose and they moan about it. Well, fuck those stupid fuckers. They've got themselves to blame. You apply yourself, you achieve. Plenty before them have proved that.

Of course it's easier to steal from a ransacked shop.That's the philosophy, something for nothing.

Send 'em all down for 10 years. Those Nike's won't look so flash when they get out.

I'm ashamed of the UK.

[Edited 8/8/11 17:41pm]

What do think the school is like round there? You have to be pretty single-minded with your initiatives to make it to Uni.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 08/08/11 5:51pm

Marrk

avatar

SquirrelMeat said:

2freaky4church1 said:

These are kids who don't have jobs or hope and they act out with violence.

Get used to more of this.

The violence was awful, but this is what happens with austerity.

Sad, but true.

The more worrying aspect is seeing school kids doing it.

"I've seen the future and boy it's rough"

Somebody said back in '89.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 08/08/11 5:51pm

imago

elmer said:

There's nothing to do there?

And, thus, the alternative is violence?

GO TO THE LIBRARY AND READ A FUCKING BOOK! rolleyes

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 08/08/11 5:53pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

razor said:

SquirrelMeat said:

You are not reading what I am saying. in 85, when I lived there, I said poverty was colourless, not the riots. It was a poor, shitty place to grow up.

The tottenham 11 footage is on the screen now. And the Sky reporter has a iphone right in the faces of the Croydon rioters. Its all races, but it is hugely weighted. I don't mean the hoards standing around. I mean the live looting. Its right there on the screen.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that race plays a part in rioting, I'm simply saying that the fact that the vast majority of those caught on screen point to a forgotten or mistreated section of society.

Ok. I guess neither of us really know the facts yet. My point is that it's important no-one turns this into a daily-mail hate fest ( nor a guardian alternative). We should wait for facts before being certain on anything. We should especially avoid attaching too much party political significance to what I would guess is than a bunch of poor scallies who would find cause to riot no matter who was in charge.

Agreed.

And its a shame to see Ken Livingstone on TV tonight trying to score political points.

Its alomost sureal, watching riot police outside the Camden Electric Ballroom and running past the old Prince shop. And its a heartbreaking watching great victorian buildings that survived the war, now burning down.

I think Cameron might have no choice but to get the army out tomorrow.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 08/08/11 5:53pm

razor

ISF said:



razor said:


ISF said:



That stat is from the very same guardian article you originally referenced. I'm guessing you saw a headline that suited your outlook, but didn't bother to read on? Police "murder"? Neither you nor I know what happened. Again, your use of language is irresponsible. Your last statement we can both agree on.

I did read, I missed that. I find the other 25% totally unacceptable. Also, I don't believe that 3/4 of those people were so drunk/high that they died whilst in police custody. They may have been drunk/high and more likely to die from injuries.



Not withdrawing your "police murder" comment I see, despite you knowing no more than I or anyone else does.

These other 25%? Know anything about them or are you once again just spouting ideological wish thinking? And you don't "believe" the 75% died naturally? Got any evidence? Anything other than an ideological extrapolation of the rare cases of genuine wrong-doing? Has it crossed your mind that the last thing the country needs right now is idle irrespoinsible evidence-free baised assertions that serve only to inflame?
"He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; and he that dares not reason is a slave." - William Drummond
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 08/08/11 5:59pm

imago

Marrk said:

elmer said:

Perhaps if these moaning twats who are as thick as pigshit concentrated in school, they'd have jobs or be at college or Uni with some hope for their future. Or at least be able to communicate using the english language.

That's the life they choose and they moan about it. Well, fuck those stupid fuckers. They've got themselves to blame. You apply yourself, you achieve. Plenty before them have proved that.

Of course it's easier to steal from a ransacked shop.That's the philosophy, something for nothing.

Send 'em all down for 10 years. Those Nike's won't look so flash when they get out.

I'm ashamed of the UK.

[Edited 8/8/11 17:41pm]

Thank you. I was trying to think of a proper way to discribe these spoiled ass kids.

This shit would NEVER happen in Japan or Thailand. You want economic disparity? Come to an Asian country. lol

NO....HOME....TRAININ'

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 08/08/11 5:59pm

razor

SquirrelMeat said:



razor said:


SquirrelMeat said:



You are not reading what I am saying. in 85, when I lived there, I said poverty was colourless, not the riots. It was a poor, shitty place to grow up.



The tottenham 11 footage is on the screen now. And the Sky reporter has a iphone right in the faces of the Croydon rioters. Its all races, but it is hugely weighted. I don't mean the hoards standing around. I mean the live looting. Its right there on the screen.




I'm not suggesting for a minute that race plays a part in rioting, I'm simply saying that the fact that the vast majority of those caught on screen point to a forgotten or mistreated section of society.


Ok. I guess neither of us really know the facts yet. My point is that it's important no-one turns this into a daily-mail hate fest ( nor a guardian alternative). We should wait for facts before being certain on anything. We should especially avoid attaching too much party political significance to what I would guess is than a bunch of poor scallies who would find cause to riot no matter who was in charge.







Agreed.



And its a shame to see Ken Livingstone on TV tonight trying to score political points.



Its alomost sureal, watching riot police outside the Camden Electric Ballroom and running past the old Prince shop. And its a heartbreaking watching great victorian buildings that survived the war, now burning down.



I think Cameron might have no choice but to get the army out tomorrow.



Yeh, Camden is pen of my favourite haunts. Tragic. And all for nothing.

Army will be last resort, being a sign of police and politic failure. I don't think well get there. Police will sort it eventually..
"He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; and he that dares not reason is a slave." - William Drummond
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 08/08/11 6:00pm

ISF

You are right, I don't have concrete proof for everything. The reports coming out from various sources (sky news, IPCC) suggest that he was not armed, did not shoot, but was shot down in the street.

What I do know is that the police do lie, and have lied about deaths before.

I am not encouraging the looting. Also, even if I were, as you claim, I doubt the looters are on prince.org right now wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 08/08/11 6:05pm

razor

ISF said:

You are right, I don't have concrete proof for everything. The reports coming out from various sources (sky news, IPCC) suggest that he was not armed, did not shoot, but was shot down in the street.


What I do know is that the police do lie, and have lied about deaths before.



I am not encouraging the looting. Also, even if I were, as you claim, I doubt the looters are on prince.org right now wink



We don't know what happened. Reports are still uncertain and contradictory. Just wait for the facts.

And I care not whose reading. Irresponsible is as irresponsible does.
"He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; and he that dares not reason is a slave." - William Drummond
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 08/08/11 6:06pm

Marrk

avatar

elmer said:

Marrk said:

Perhaps if these moaning twats who are as thick as pigshit concentrated in school, they'd have jobs or be at college or Uni with some hope for their future. Or at least be able to communicate using the english language.

That's the life they choose and they moan about it. Well, fuck those stupid fuckers. They've got themselves to blame. You apply yourself, you achieve. Plenty before them have proved that.

Of course it's easier to steal from a ransacked shop.That's the philosophy, something for nothing.

Send 'em all down for 10 years. Those Nike's won't look so flash when they get out.

I'm ashamed of the UK.

[Edited 8/8/11 17:41pm]

What do think the school is like round there? You have to be pretty single-minded with your initiatives to make it to Uni.

You mean driven and determined people? Those with something about them... can achieve something of substance honestly. If they want it enough.

It might mean leaving the capital though!

The biggest problem in the west is people wanting everything for nothing, and quickly.

It's a horrible time we live in.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 08/08/11 6:16pm

Marrk

avatar

London, Bristol, Leeds, Birmingham all affected according to Sky.

This is possibly going countrywide.

sad

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 08/08/11 6:38pm

elmer

Marrk said:

elmer said:

What do think the school is like round there? You have to be pretty single-minded with your initiatives to make it to Uni.

You mean driven and determined people? Those with something about them... can achieve something of substance honestly. If they want it enough.

It might mean leaving the capital though!

The biggest problem in the west is people wanting everything for nothing, and quickly.

It's a horrible time we live in.

Poverty can be a great motivator, but parents who give a shit help. Can we really blame a 12yr olds for looting fetishized luxury status symbols given a chance? Where is their social conscience supposed to have been learnt?

I don't think there's any simple cause and effect here. One could sociologize and say this is the underclass mimicking the aggressive thefts of the city that've been highlighted in recent times, or simply blame hot summer nights. Basically. it's mad.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 08/08/11 6:44pm

elmer

Manchester just got a brief mention on News24. All the thugs and miscreants are using the opportunity to act out.

I wonder what I'll wake up to tomorrow.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 08/08/11 7:02pm

elmer

London's a lovely place.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 08/08/11 7:06pm

IshmaelB

Gunsnhalen said:

Japan had a 9.0 earthquake, a devastating Tsunami, and a very bad nuclear leak and they was no looting. Riots and looting because someone was shot?...

Well, you're obviously missing a key component of the equation then.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 08/08/11 7:19pm

pald1

ISF said:

razor said:

ISF said: That stat is from the very same guardian article you originally referenced. I'm guessing you saw a headline that suited your outlook, but didn't bother to read on? Police "murder"? Neither you nor I know what happened. Again, your use of language is irresponsible. Your last statement we can both agree on.

I did read, I missed that. I find the other 25% totally unacceptable. Also, I don't believe that 3/4 of those people were so drunk/high that they died whilst in police custody. They may have been drunk/high and more likely to die from injuries.

What you "believe" is irrelevant. It's facts that count.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 08/08/11 7:41pm

ISF

pald1 said:

ISF said:

I did read, I missed that. I find the other 25% totally unacceptable. Also, I don't believe that 3/4 of those people were so drunk/high that they died whilst in police custody. They may have been drunk/high and more likely to die from injuries.

What you "believe" is irrelevant. It's facts that count.

I see the point you are making. Some people won't believe a thing unless the government or police officials come out and say it. They believe that just because the UK is largely democratic that its government and police force do not commit crimes.

The leaders of the UK lied to the public that Saddam Hussain had weapons that could attack the UK in 45 minutes. The media fed these lies to the people. What happened to Tony Blair? He becomes a peace envoy to the middle east.

What happens to Dr Kelly who exposed government lies? He ends up dead in a field after APPARENTLY commiting suicide.


Please don't say this is irrelevant because it definately is not.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 13 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Riot hits north London after police shooting death