independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 9th Apr 2020 8:38pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > 9 dead in Connecticut workplace shooting
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/03/10 5:19pm

2elijah

avatar

9 dead in Connecticut workplace shooting

According to reports this man was being racially harassed at work for quite some time, being called racist names like "n*gger", etc., someone had also hung a noose one of the bathrooms, when he came into work one day. The man complained to his supervisors about the racial harassment, for a while, but nothing was done.

He iwas a black male, who had a white girlfriend, and told his girlfriend what was going on at work, and even showed evidence of the racial harassments. According to the girlfriend's mother, nothing was being done to stop the racial harassment at work, and because of the racial harrassments, he came to work angry many times. Also there were reports that they claimed they had a video of him stealing and used that as an excuse to fire him, while all the while trying to get rid of him anyway. I believe some of the reports state, that some employees were jealous because he moved up in position faster than other employees, which could be the reason some employees racially harassed him..

It is sad that people had to die because someone was racially harassed, snapped because his complaints were being ignored, and innocent people died. What's your take on this? Do you think the employers should have taken quicker action to stop the racial harassment/behavior from the employees doing this, and enforced a code of conduct within their company? It seems the racial harassment finally made this guy snap, and now people are dead because of it. Very sad situation, I feel that could have been prevented.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/C...tml?hpt=T2

or more on this story, go to CNN affiliates WTNH and WFSB.

Manchester, Connecticut (CNN) -- A shooting that erupted after an employee's disciplinary hearing left nine people -- including the employee -- dead Tuesday at a Manchester, Connecticut, business.

The shooter was identified as Omar Thornton, 34, said police Sgt. Sandy Ficara. He apparently shot himself in an office at the business -- a beverage distributorship -- after the shooting spree, police said.

Eight people were killed in various parts of the facility, Police Chief Marc Montminy said, and one shot may have been fired outside. Police who arrived on the scene had no contact with Thornton and did not fire any shots, the chief said. Two people were hospitalize

reviously, Thornton told his girlfriend that he had reported to a company supervisor and a union representative that he was being racially harassed at the business but they did nothing about it, the mother of the girlfriend told CNN Tuesday. (EDITED FOR COMPLIANCE)
Video: Workplace shooting in Connecticut

Joanne Hannah said Thornton showed her daughter, Kristie, a cell phone photo of racial epithets and a stick figure with a noose around its neck drawn on a restroom stall. He was in a stall once and heard a co-worker say "they wanted that n----- out of there," she said.

She said Thornton was one of two black employees. "This poor guy got pushed to the limit."

to read more...click on above link

[Edited 8/3/10 17:52pm]

popcorn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/03/10 5:32pm

AbucahX

Lord how mercy. Senseless murders. That goes to show you that ANYBODY can snap.
_______________________________________________________________________________________ You can hate me for who I am, cuz I won't be something that i'm not.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/03/10 5:46pm

2elijah

avatar

AbucahX said:

Lord how mercy. Senseless murders. That goes to show you that ANYBODY can snap.

Oh yes. Apparently the guy had evidence of the harassment, and it seems it became a bit too much, and when they called him in to fire him, that was the breaking point that made him snap.

Not making no excuses for the guy at all, but I also feel the employers should have taken action immediately when the racial complaints were brought to their attention, because when some employees saw his behavior changing and anger setting in over the racial harassment, that is when the employers should have done something immediately, before it got to this point. They should have enforced their code of ethics within the company, and discipline anyone making racist comments, practicing racial harassment/behavior, as well as, anyone making threats/displaying violence towards employees.

Now innocent people had to die for in my opinion, something that could have been prevented.. Let's just hope we don't see any copycats. A shame.

[Edited 8/3/10 17:55pm]

popcorn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/04/10 2:51am

razor

A few thoughts spring to mind:

1) Gun control. Pretty hard to acheive this with anything other than a gun.

2) The firm, despite its trsgic losses, should still be held accountable. Assuming evidence can be found, the shareholders and managers and surviving guilty employees should be sued for their wrongdoings.

3) The killer, despite the obvious provacation, has to be viewed as entirely responsible for his actions. He had several choices available to him: Legal action (gathering evidence would have easy); resignation; putting up with it (hardly right or palatable, but still a choice available to him); or violence. To his eternal discredit, he choose the latter. That can't be excused.

"He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; and he that dares not reason is a slave." - William Drummond
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/04/10 7:22am

dothejump

avatar

Gun control would help a lot to prevent these shootings from happening.

Formerly known as Parade @ HQ and formerly proud owner of www.paradetour.com
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/04/10 7:43am

uPtoWnNY

dothejump said:

Gun control would help a lot to prevent these shootings from happening.

Will never happen. The NRA is too powerful.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/04/10 7:59am

2elijah

avatar

uPtoWnNY said:

dothejump said:

Gun control would help a lot to prevent these shootings from happening.

Will never happen. The NRA is too powerful.

True, not going to happen in this country. America loves its guns. I still think the employer should have done more to stop the racist taunting/acts towards this guy from his co-workers, especially if what they were doing to him, was affecting his behavior on the job, and displayed anger towards many of his co-workers because of the taunting. That should have been a sign right there, that he may snap. A code of ethics should have been enforced to stop the racial harassment, and those employees should have been reprimanded or dismissed. Unfortunately, he didn't just quit and tried to sue for racial harassment on the job, but instead took it out on his co-workers once he reached the breaking point, at the time the employer decided to fire him. Most companies enforce their code of ethics policy, but unfortunately others don't.

Goes to show you, that you never know when someone will snap, after being harassed/taunted by others. Kind of reminds me of all those high school shootings in the past when students who were teased by other students, took matters into their own hands, and chose the gun to handle the situation.

[Edited 8/4/10 8:02am]

popcorn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/04/10 8:09am

SUPRMAN

avatar

2elijah said:

uPtoWnNY said:

Will never happen. The NRA is too powerful.

True, not going to happen in this country. America loves its guns. I still think the employer should have done more to stop the racist taunting/acts towards this guy from his co-workers, especially if what they were doing to him, was affecting his behavior on the job, and displayed anger towards many of his co-workers because of the taunting. That should have been a sign right there, that he may snap. A code of ethics should have been enforced to stop the racial harassment, and those employees should have been reprimanded or dismissed. Unfortunately, he didn't just quit and tried to sue for racial harassment on the job, but instead took it out on his co-workers once he reached the breaking point, at the time the employer decided to fire him. Most companies enforce their code of ethics policy, but unfortunately others don't.

Goes to show you, that you never know when someone will snap, after being harassed/taunted by others. Kind of reminds me of all those high school shootings in the past when students who were teased by other students, took matters into their own hands, and chose the gun to handle the situation.

[Edited 8/4/10 8:02am]

The guy was caught on tape stealing from his employer. He was shown the tape and given the option of resigning or being fired. He chose to resign and then began shooting.

(excerpt only )

Omar Thornton sat calmly in a meeting with union representative and his supervisors as they showed a video of him stealing beer from the distributor where he worked.

Busted, he didn't put up a fight, company officials said. He quietly signed a letter of resignation and was headed for the door when he pulled out a gun and started firing — "cold as ice," as one survivor described it.

In the end, Thornton killed eight people, injured two, then turned the gun on himself in a rampage Tuesday at Hartford Distributors that union and company officials said they would not have anticipated from someone with no history of complaints or disciplinary problems.

Yet relatives say Thornton, 34, finally cracked after suffering racial harassment in a company where he said he was singled out for being black in a predominantly white work force.

http://www.google.com/hos...gD9HCNJNG0

I don't want you to think like me. I just want you to think.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/04/10 8:25am

AbucahX

I have been in a similar situation like omar. This wasn't covert racism....but out in front. When you are in a environment like that it is one of the most weirdest feeling that you can imagine. If I wasn't grounded in the knowledge of my people and history.....thank you Jesus.
_______________________________________________________________________________________ You can hate me for who I am, cuz I won't be something that i'm not.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/04/10 9:53am

2elijah

avatar

SUPRMAN said:

2elijah said:

True, not going to happen in this country. America loves its guns. I still think the employer should have done more to stop the racist taunting/acts towards this guy from his co-workers, especially if what they were doing to him, was affecting his behavior on the job, and displayed anger towards many of his co-workers because of the taunting. That should have been a sign right there, that he may snap. A code of ethics should have been enforced to stop the racial harassment, and those employees should have been reprimanded or dismissed. Unfortunately, he didn't just quit and tried to sue for racial harassment on the job, but instead took it out on his co-workers once he reached the breaking point, at the time the employer decided to fire him. Most companies enforce their code of ethics policy, but unfortunately others don't.

Goes to show you, that you never know when someone will snap, after being harassed/taunted by others. Kind of reminds me of all those high school shootings in the past when students who were teased by other students, took matters into their own hands, and chose the gun to handle the situation.

[Edited 8/4/10 8:02am]

The guy was caught on tape stealing from his employer. He was shown the tape and given the option of resigning or being fired. He chose to resign and then began shooting.

(excerpt only )

Omar Thornton sat calmly in a meeting with union representative and his supervisors as they showed a video of him stealing beer from the distributor where he worked.

Busted, he didn't put up a fight, company officials said. He quietly signed a letter of resignation and was headed for the door when he pulled out a gun and started firing — "cold as ice," as one survivor described it.

In the end, Thornton killed eight people, injured two, then turned the gun on himself in a rampage Tuesday at Hartford Distributors that union and company officials said they would not have anticipated from someone with no history of complaints or disciplinary problems.

Yet relatives say Thornton, 34, finally cracked after suffering racial harassment in a company where he said he was singled out for being black in a predominantly white work force.

http://www.google.com/hos...gD9HCNJNG0

Next time read before you assume that the stealing part was never mentioned in my posts at the beginning of this thread. Had you read it, you would have seen that posted in my thread. No one is making excuses for him shooting his co-workers, but let's also not dismiss the fact that some of his co-workers were wrong for the racial insults/practices towards him, no one should have to go to their job and deal with their co-workers intentionally making racist or sexist comments and practicing racist/sexist behavior towards them. The employers should have taken quicker action and some lives could have been saveed, if all the employees involved in the racial taunting were reprimanded early to stop their racist behavior. They put other employees' security in danger, taunting this guy.

Seems that once they called him in to fire him, and knowing nothing had been done about the racial discrimination against him from his coworkers, he apparently snapped and took that and the firing out on his coworkers.

popcorn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/04/10 9:55am

2elijah

avatar

AbucahX said:

I have been in a similar situation like omar. This wasn't covert racism....but out in front. When you are in a environment like that it is one of the most weirdest feeling that you can imagine. If I wasn't grounded in the knowledge of my people and history......thank you Jesus.

I hear you. What the guy did was wrong shooting his coworkers, but the employer was wrong also, for not stopping the racist practices by some of the employees early on. This whole thing could have been avoided, and lives saved had quicker measures been taken. This is the kind of thing you hear when some students get teased by other students, snap and get a gun to handle the situation. A real sad situation.

[Edited 8/4/10 9:56am]

popcorn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/04/10 10:21am

SUPRMAN

avatar

2elijah said:

SUPRMAN said:

The guy was caught on tape stealing from his employer. He was shown the tape and given the option of resigning or being fired. He chose to resign and then began shooting.

(excerpt only )

Omar Thornton sat calmly in a meeting with union representative and his supervisors as they showed a video of him stealing beer from the distributor where he worked.

Busted, he didn't put up a fight, company officials said. He quietly signed a letter of resignation and was headed for the door when he pulled out a gun and started firing — "cold as ice," as one survivor described it.

In the end, Thornton killed eight people, injured two, then turned the gun on himself in a rampage Tuesday at Hartford Distributors that union and company officials said they would not have anticipated from someone with no history of complaints or disciplinary problems.

Yet relatives say Thornton, 34, finally cracked after suffering racial harassment in a company where he said he was singled out for being black in a predominantly white work force.

http://www.google.com/hos...gD9HCNJNG0

Next time read before you assume that the stealing part was never mentioned in my posts at the beginning of this thread. Had you read it, you would have seen that posted in my thread. No one is making excuses for him shooting his co-workers, but let's also not dismiss the fact that some of his co-workers were wrong for the racial insults/practices towards him, no one should have to go to their job and deal with their co-workers intentionally making racist or sexist comments and practicing racist/sexist behavior towards them. The employers should have taken quicker action and some lives could have been saveed, if all the employees involved in the racial taunting were reprimanded early to stop their racist behavior. They put other employees' security in danger, taunting this guy.

Seems that once they called him in to fire him, and knowing nothing had been done about the racial discrimination against him from his coworkers, he apparently snapped and took that and the firing out on his coworkers.

Next time state facts and then I can believe what you post missy.

What you wrote was, " Also there were reports that they claimed they had a video of him stealing and used that as an excuse to fire him, while all the while trying to get rid of him anyway."

What reports? From whom?

Nothing substantiated . . . no source, just allegations . . . .

I don't want you to think like me. I just want you to think.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/04/10 2:08pm

SUPRMAN

avatar

[Edited]

In a phone call to his mom after in the early hours of Tuesday morning, the man suspected of shooting eight of his co-workers at Hartford Distributors in Manchester, Conn., reportedly said, "I killed the five racists that were bothering me." Then he took his own life.

The deaths at the beer distributor plant is the largest-scale workplace shooting since the killing of 13 people at Fort Hood last year.

Union officials claim that there's no record of the alleged shooter, Omar Thornton, making any official complaints about racism. Company spokesmen deny that employees harbored racist views.

But the suggestion that racism led Mr. Thornton to kill eight of his coworkers comes during a summer when race has often been at the front of the American conversation – from allegations against the "tea party" movement to the saga of Shirley Sherrod.

Reports indicate that, to Thornton at least, race was an issue at Hartford Distributors. He told friends and relatives that coworkers had scrawled racist epithets on a bathroom wall and a hung a stick-figure effigy in a miniature noose.

But criminologist Daniel Kennedy suggests that race is often the root cause of workplace shootings – even when it is part of the suspect's real or perceived grievances.

"This is far more complicated than an individual claiming a racial basis for all his problems," says Mr. Kennedy, an emeritus professor of criminology at the University of Detroit Mercy. "Even if true, this response is far disproportionate to any slight, which leads you to look more at the internal structure of this guy's thinking than leads you to look at any negative aspects of the organization."

http://www.csmonitor.com/...ll-unclear

What alternatives were available to him?

Employment elsewhere?

I agree that the response was far disproportionate to any slight he (shooter/victim) spoke of.

sad

I don't want you to think like me. I just want you to think.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/05/10 6:52am

2elijah

avatar

SUPRMAN said:

2elijah said:

Next time read before you assume that the stealing part was never mentioned in my posts at the beginning of this thread. Had you read it, you would have seen that posted in my thread. No one is making excuses for him shooting his co-workers, but let's also not dismiss the fact that some of his co-workers were wrong for the racial insults/practices towards him, no one should have to go to their job and deal with their co-workers intentionally making racist or sexist comments and practicing racist/sexist behavior towards them. The employers should have taken quicker action and some lives could have been saveed, if all the employees involved in the racial taunting were reprimanded early to stop their racist behavior. They put other employees' security in danger, taunting this guy.

Seems that once they called him in to fire him, and knowing nothing had been done about the racial discrimination against him from his coworkers, he apparently snapped and took that and the firing out on his coworkers.

Next time state facts and then I can believe what you post missy.

What you wrote was, " Also there were reports that they claimed they had a video of him stealing and used that as an excuse to fire him, while all the while trying to get rid of him anyway."

What reports? From whom?

Nothing substantiated . . . no source, just allegations . . . .

Hey hater, when the news first broke, details were still being sought, and comments from the girlfriend's mother was being reported that racial comments/behavior, was being made towards the guy who shot up his coworkers; as the girlfriend's mother stated that the employers were not telling the whole truth of what was going on before the firing and shooting, and they used the video of him stealing as an excuse to fire him, because he complained about racist, verbal attacks and behavior towards him from employees at the company, to his supervisors and threatened to sue the company for racial discrmination.

But you know what, it's so typical of you to always jump on orgers' threads you're obsessed with, always looking for something wrong.

I could start a thread about the moon, and your ass will be right there, jumping on it, with foam dripping from your mouth anxious to post on my threads. Nothing new.

[Edited 8/5/10 8:34am]

popcorn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/05/10 7:42am

SUPRMAN

avatar

2elijah said:

SUPRMAN said:

Next time state facts and then I can believe what you post missy.

What you wrote was, " Also there were reports that they claimed they had a video of him stealing and used that as an excuse to fire him, while all the while trying to get rid of him anyway."

What reports? From whom?

Nothing substantiated . . . no source, just allegations . . . .

Hey hater, when the news first broke, details were still being sought, and comments from the girlfriend's mother was being reported that racial comments/behavior, was being made towards the guy who shot up his coworkers; as the girlfriend's mother stated that the employers were not telling the whole truth of what was going on before the firing and shooting, and they used the video of him stealing as an excuse to fire him, because he complained about racist, verbal attacks and behavior towards him from employees at the company to his supervisors and threatened to sue for racial discrmination.

But you know what, it's so typical of you to always jump on orgers' threads you're obsessed with, always looking for something wrong.

I could start a thread about the moon, and your ass will be right there, jumping on it, with foam dripping from your mouth anxious to post on my threads. Nothing new.

[Edited 8/5/10 6:56am]

Hater?

So waiting wasn't an option for you I guess . . . .

You're so vain . . . .

I don't want you to think like me. I just want you to think.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 08/05/10 7:49am

JellyBean

I heard about this. Sad across the board. U know. When I first started teaching, I was the only black male teacher in the building. There were three male teachers total, but I was the only brother. I hated it. If I was late, out came the jokes. Something came up missing, you know who they came to first. But in all of that I never, ever, ever, ever thought about getting a gun and going on a rampage. That just aint me.

“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist.” Brazilian bishop Dom Hélder Câmara
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 08/05/10 8:27am

2elijah

avatar

JellyBean said:

I heard about this. Sad across the board. U know. When I first started teaching, I was the only black male teacher in the building. There were three male teachers total, but I was the only brother. I hated it. If I was late, out came the jokes. Something came up missing, you know who they came to first. But in all of that I never, ever, ever, ever thought about getting a gun and going on a rampage. That just aint me.

I hear you, and I bet there's many stories like yours many of us can relate to. It is sad that this guy couldn't have been strong enough to go about the racist complaints and behavior the legal way or resign and take legal action against the company and employees doing this to him, instead he decided to take matters into his own hands, and shoot up anyone in his way. This reminds me of the stories you hear about kids being constantly teased by students at their school, and nothing is done about it, so then they decide to take matters into their hands the wrong way, and go for a gun to handle the problem. Very sad that innocent people had to die in this situation, that I feel could have been prevented somehow.

I still don't know the details of how the employers handled this or how long they knew this racist behavior was continuing from some of their employees. It should have been stopped immediately, and disciplinary action should have taken place. If an employee complains continuously, that he/she is being racially harassed, stalked, threatened, it should not be ignored by the employers, and immediate action should be taken.

This is why people have to be careful with intentionally, racially harassing people on the job with racist comments or stalking them. You just never know when they could make that person snap and put other employees in harm's way, such as what happened in this particular case.

I used to work with an employee who would constantly make remarks about blacks, and black employees, when she was around them. I ignored her and did make a formal complaint, as well as other employees she did this to.

Finally at a meeting, she made a comment in front of 5 black employees that was insulting, and our supervisor, who happened to be white, demanded that she stop making those comments. One week later she was fired, because of complaints from many employees over her racist behavior .. She broke the code of ethics at the job, so they had to let her go.

[Edited 8/5/10 8:34am]

popcorn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 08/05/10 11:20am

Graycap23

Read this article. I find it interesting that no one....abosolutely NO ONE is that is article was racist. neutral

911 Call On Conn. Shooting Shows Racial Disparity

Friends Say Gunman Complained Of Racial Discrimination

A woman hiding under her desk tells an emergency dispatcher that a co-worker is in the midst of a shooting spree. The dispatcher presses for any information about the man.

"I don't know anything," the woman says, according to a 911 tape released Wednesday. "He's a tall black guy. He's like the only black guy that works here."

Family and friends say Omar Thornton was only too painfully aware of that distinction, as he claimed he was subjected to racial discrimination while working as a union driver at Hartford Distributors in Manchester.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news...etail.html
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 08/05/10 11:21am

Graycap23

uPtoWnNY said:

dothejump said:

Gun control would help a lot to prevent these shootings from happening.

Will never happen. The NRA is too powerful.

Not mention that would leave the criminals as the only folks with guns outside of law enforcement.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 08/05/10 11:24am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

expect the right wing to bring Obama into this.

Didn't know he was racially harrassed, not that it justifies him shooting a bunch of folk.

This is why people like the Palestinians use violence. We never learn.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 08/05/10 12:52pm

2elijah

avatar

Graycap23 said:

Read this article. I find it interesting that no one....abosolutely NO ONE is that is article was racist. neutral

911 Call On Conn. Shooting Shows Racial Disparity

Friends Say Gunman Complained Of Racial Discrimination

A woman hiding under her desk tells an emergency dispatcher that a co-worker is in the midst of a shooting spree. The dispatcher presses for any information about the man.

"I don't know anything," the woman says, according to a 911 tape released Wednesday. "He's a tall black guy. He's like the only black guy that works here."

Family and friends say Omar Thornton was only too painfully aware of that distinction, as he claimed he was subjected to racial discrimination while working as a union driver at Hartford Distributors in Manchester.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news...etail.html

Thank You Graycap for posting this. This is what his girlfriend's mother was on tv stating, that he complained of racial harassment for a while. Even took a pic of the term "N****r" written with his name on it on a bathroom wall. His girlfriend was on the phone with him, when one of the coworkers was in the bathroom, and she heard that person call him a "N****r". Not to mention the noose he found at the job as well.

It's pathetic that the employers allowed this sh*t to continue. Lives could have been saved had they took measures to reprimand the workers doing the constant "taunting" and participating in racist mockery.

Now they didn't waste time firing him for stealling beer, but never did anything about the racial harassment he endured by his coworkers. None of this makes sense. He gets fired for stealing beer, but racially harassing employees was okay?? Now look at the price that had to be paid for the harassment. Damn shame nothing was done to prevent this shooting from happening. Like I said, lives could have been saved, had the employers took harsh measures to stop the racial harrassment against him.

Thing is, right now, the racial situation he faced won't matter now, because he made the mistake of taking matters into his hands, and ended up killing 8 people.

[Edited 8/5/10 17:13pm]

popcorn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 08/05/10 10:38pm

dothejump

avatar

Graycap23 said:

uPtoWnNY said:

Will never happen. The NRA is too powerful.

Not mention that would leave the criminals as the only folks with guns outside of law enforcement.

But there would be a lot less criminals with a weapon. For one the average street thief or burglar won't get a gun so easily.

Formerly known as Parade @ HQ and formerly proud owner of www.paradetour.com
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 08/05/10 10:41pm

dothejump

avatar

2elijah said:

Now look at the price that had to be paid for the harassment. Damn shame nothing was done to prevent this shooting from happening. Like I said, lives could have been saved, had the employers took harsh measures to stop the racial harrassment against him.

Thing is, right now, the racial situation he faced won't matter now, because he made the mistake of taking matters into his hands, and ended up killing 8 people.

[Edited 8/5/10 17:13pm]

Oh come on. The guy is sick, he is a killer.

I agree with you that something should have been done about the racial harrassment. But that is no excuse to kill a bunch of people. If the guys from Columbine would have had more friends would that have prevented the shooting from happening? Are we blaming the doctors of the guy from Virginia Tech because they didn't give him good therapy and medication? Is it Theo van Gogh's (dutch filmmaker) own fault that he ended up with a knife in his stomach because he said such disgusting things about Islam? If someone kills his/her ex-lover should we take in consideration that breaking up led to the murder? Nah. Still something should have been done to racial harrassment (and to the stealing), but that has nothing to do with killing people.

[Edited 8/5/10 23:06pm]

Formerly known as Parade @ HQ and formerly proud owner of www.paradetour.com
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 08/06/10 6:44pm

2elijah

avatar

dothejump said:

2elijah said:

Now look at the price that had to be paid for the harassment. Damn shame nothing was done to prevent this shooting from happening. Like I said, lives could have been saved, had the employers took harsh measures to stop the racial harrassment against him.

Thing is, right now, the racial situation he faced won't matter now, because he made the mistake of taking matters into his hands, and ended up killing 8 people.

[Edited 8/5/10 17:13pm]

Oh come on. The guy is sick, he is a killer.

I agree with you that something should have been done about the racial harrassment. But that is no excuse to kill a bunch of people. If the guys from Columbine would have had more friends would that have prevented the shooting from happening? Are we blaming the doctors of the guy from Virginia Tech because they didn't give him good therapy and medication? Is it Theo van Gogh's (dutch filmmaker) own fault that he ended up with a knife in his stomach because he said such disgusting things about Islam? If someone kills his/her ex-lover should we take in consideration that breaking up led to the murder? Nah. Still something should have been done to racial harrassment (and to the stealing), but that has nothing to do with killing people.

[Edited 8/5/10 23:06pm]

So typical of you. Now, who said he wasn't a killer after he shot the people? Did you actually read the post thoroughly or did you do your usual "skimming" to find something to "nitpick" about?

How did you miss the last paragraph of my post where it clearly states the racist rants that happened at the job, won't matter now? You know why? Because he's dead. He made the wrong decision to handle it by killing people, as a way of handling the situation, when he knew he was going to get fired, at the same time pissed off because nothing was done to stop the employees he complained about, who racially harassed him.

Now, stop making excuses for the company. There is absolutely no excuse for any company to allow employees to racially harass their coworkers. If anyone doesn't see anything wrong with that, they need their heads examined. Don't be so jaded. Now how the guy chose to handle it was his own doing and was wrong, but the company should not be left off the hook for allowing/condoning racial harassment on the job, which eventually led another employee to take out his emotions from the harassment on other employees.

The supervisors showed him a video of stealing beer, and he did not deny it. The employers had a right to approach/take disciplinary action on him for stealing, but at the same time, the company was irresponsible in handling the racial "taunting and mockery" they let continue, amid the complaints...but oh...wait a minute...then again you are the same orger who got mad at some orgers here, who voiced their disgust for the racist mockery/comments many European soccer fans made to some black soccer players. Oh I see, what this is all about., you're still peeved over that thread, and trying to bring your bs to this one. Good try, not working though. Have a great day!

[Edited 8/6/10 18:47pm]

popcorn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 08/06/10 7:17pm

paintedlady

avatar

I have several problems with this story... the press here is reporting that Omar NEVER made reports of racial harassment to his employer. This upsets me because if he was going through all that and nothing happened then two points;

-either they are lying and want to paint his ramage as a ramdom attack because he was caught stealing and let go

or

-he never reported the harassment because he didn't find it was nescessary

They can say that racism was never an issue at the workplace, this fact pisses me off. Because now, they can say that this man Omar was just a nutjob and he had no reason to call out the racecard. There is no proof that he was harassed only speculation. This may make any person at that plant that was accused of racist behavior feel to have just cause to have hatred of Black people now.

sigh

Omar was so wrong, and an idiot. If your coworkers treat you like shit... leave and get another job elsewhere, move... you don't steal, you don't try to "get even". No job is worth killing and losing your life over.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 08/06/10 9:46pm

2elijah

avatar

paintedlady said:

I have several problems with this story... the press here is reporting that Omar NEVER made reports of racial harassment to his employer. This upsets me because if he was going through all that and nothing happened then two points;

-either they are lying and want to paint his ramage as a ramdom attack because he was caught stealing and let go

or

-he never reported the harassment because he didn't find it was nescessary

They can say that racism was never an issue at the workplace, this fact pisses me off. Because now, they can say that this man Omar was just a nutjob and he had no reason to call out the racecard. There is no proof that he was harassed only speculation. This may make any person at that plant that was accused of racist behavior feel to have just cause to have hatred of Black people now.

sigh

Omar was so wrong, and an idiot. If your coworkers treat you like shit... leave and get another job elsewhere, move... you don't steal, you don't try to "get even". No job is worth killing and losing your life over.

His girlfriend and her mother both said the racial harassment happened and continued for a long time. As far as his complaints, they said he complained to the supervisors about it, and nothing was done. He may not have filed a "formal" complaint with the company, but he had evidence of the racial harassment that was happening to him.

I also think the employers of the company are trying not to get sued by family members,whose loved ones were murdered by this guy, because if they admit they had knowledge of this guy's frustratiopns about the racial discrimination/harassment their employees was doing to this guy, family members will question why wasn't anything done about it, before it got to the point where he took matters into his own hands, and chose to kill to handle the issue. Maybe the company is afraid they'll get sued by the victims' family for not protecting their loved ones if the employer did nothing to resolve the racial harassment issues..

I also noticed that some in the media is also reporting him as a nutjob and downplaying the racial harassment at the company that he experienced in the workplace. Most of us know that, disgruntled employees just don't choose to go and kill coworkers, without a reason behind it, and he allowed the racial harassment to push him to that edge, and handled it the wrong way, by killing people.

It is understandable that at this point, most people will not care what he went through because he chose to kill people to solve the issue, which was wrong, and there are family members and friends, in the community grieving for the loss of loved ones. I agree with you that he should have resigned. He could have filed a racial discrimination suit against the company. Had he done that, then maybe it would have forced the company to take disciplinary action against any of their employees who practice racial discrimination on the job.

popcorn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 08/06/10 9:56pm

paintedlady

avatar

2elijah said:

paintedlady said:

I have several problems with this story... the press here is reporting that Omar NEVER made reports of racial harassment to his employer. This upsets me because if he was going through all that and nothing happened then two points;

-either they are lying and want to paint his ramage as a ramdom attack because he was caught stealing and let go

or

-he never reported the harassment because he didn't find it was nescessary

They can say that racism was never an issue at the workplace, this fact pisses me off. Because now, they can say that this man Omar was just a nutjob and he had no reason to call out the racecard. There is no proof that he was harassed only speculation. This may make any person at that plant that was accused of racist behavior feel to have just cause to have hatred of Black people now.

sigh

Omar was so wrong, and an idiot. If your coworkers treat you like shit... leave and get another job elsewhere, move... you don't steal, you don't try to "get even". No job is worth killing and losing your life over.

His girlfriend and her mother both said the racial harassment happened and continued for a long time. As far as his complaints, they said he complained to the supervisors about it, and nothing was done. He may not have filed a "formal" complaint with the company, but he had evidence of the racial harassment that was happening to him.

I also think the employers of the company are trying not to get sued by family members,whose loved ones were murdered by this guy, because if they admit they had knowledge of this guy's frustratiopns about the racial discrimination/harassment their employees was doing to this guy, family members will question why wasn't anything done about it, before it got to the point where he took matters into his own hands, and chose to kill to handle the issue. Maybe the company is afraid they'll get sued by the victims' family for not protecting their loved ones if the employer did nothing to resolve the racial harassment issues..

I also noticed that some in the media is also reporting him as a nutjob and downplaying the racial harassment at the company that he experienced in the workplace. Most of us know that, disgruntled employees just don't choose to go and kill coworkers, without a reason behind it, and he allowed the racial harassment to push him to that edge, and handled it the wrong way, by killing people.

It is understandable that at this point, most people will not care what he went through because he chose to kill people to solve the issue, which was wrong, and there are family members and friends, in the community grieving for the loss of loved ones. I agree with you that he should have resigned. He could have filed a racial discrimination suit against the company. Had he done that, then maybe it would have forced the company to take disciplinary action against any of their employees who practice racial discrimination on the job.

I understand all of that, but I can't get past people allowing this to justify their bigotry.

Omar made it harder on people with his situation, I hope people who are in this situation are heard. Omar was in Conneticut, and it amazes me that he felt that he had no other employment options. This is such a very sad situation.

They just hauled the girlfriend to jail. neutral

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 08/07/10 12:02am

dothejump

avatar

2elijah said:

dothejump said:

Oh come on. The guy is sick, he is a killer.

I agree with you that something should have been done about the racial harrassment. But that is no excuse to kill a bunch of people. If the guys from Columbine would have had more friends would that have prevented the shooting from happening? Are we blaming the doctors of the guy from Virginia Tech because they didn't give him good therapy and medication? Is it Theo van Gogh's (dutch filmmaker) own fault that he ended up with a knife in his stomach because he said such disgusting things about Islam? If someone kills his/her ex-lover should we take in consideration that breaking up led to the murder? Nah. Still something should have been done to racial harrassment (and to the stealing), but that has nothing to do with killing people.

[Edited 8/5/10 23:06pm]

So typical of you. Now, who said he wasn't a killer after he shot the people? Did you actually read the post thoroughly or did you do your usual "skimming" to find something to "nitpick" about?

[...]

There is absolutely no excuse for any company to allow employees to racially harass their coworkers.


You are accusing me now of not reading well?? Ha. Read my post again. I said two times that something should have been done about the racial harrassment. But still racial harrasment is no reason to start shooting.

then again you are the same orger who got mad at some orgers here, who voiced their disgust for the racist mockery/comments many European soccer fans made to some black soccer players.

Again putting words in my mouth. I am also disgusted by the racist comments which I stated several times. But they don't happen that often as was suggested in the opening post of that thread. Besides, I wasn't mad.

Oh I see, what this is all about., you're still peeved over that thread, and trying to bring your bs to this one. Good try, not working though. Have a great day!

Who is starting about the football thread again? Not me. But I see a pattern if you cannot win with arguments: Bringing up something totally irrelevant and then leaving the discussion.

[Edited 8/7/10 0:05am]

Formerly known as Parade @ HQ and formerly proud owner of www.paradetour.com
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 08/07/10 7:48am

2elijah

avatar

dothejump said:

Again putting words in my mouth. I am also disgusted by the racist comments which I stated several times. But they don't happen that often as was suggested in the opening post of that thread. Besides, I wasn't mad.

You can't be serious? How jaded are you about the racism behind closed doors in America? You are more jaded than I first thought.

2elijah

Oh I see, what this is all about., you're still peeved over that thread, and trying to bring your bs to this one. Good try, not working though. Have a great day!

dothejump:

Who is starting about the football thread again? Not me. But I see a pattern if you cannot win with arguments: Bringing up something totally irrelevant and then leaving the discussion.

Dude, don't try it. It's not about winning a damn thing. If that's what you join these conversations for, then that's on you lol because I'm going to express exactly how I feel about any topic I choose to participate in, whether you like my opinion about it or not. It's about discussing specific issues and expressing and exchanging opinions, whether people agree another or not on the topic at hand.

No one's opinion here is the end all, be all, and no one forces anyone to read these threads/posts. It's a choice one makes on their own. So if what I express on any topic here bothers you, then don't read it, but at least take responsibility for making the decision to participate/respond at your own risk. Try and remember that, it's not that difficult. Have a nice day.

[Edited 8/7/10 8:04am]

popcorn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 08/07/10 8:21am

paintedlady

avatar

dothejump said:

2elijah said:

Now look at the price that had to be paid for the harassment. Damn shame nothing was done to prevent this shooting from happening. Like I said, lives could have been saved, had the employers took harsh measures to stop the racial harrassment against him.

Thing is, right now, the racial situation he faced won't matter now, because he made the mistake of taking matters into his hands, and ended up killing 8 people.

[Edited 8/5/10 17:13pm]

Oh come on. The guy is sick, he is a killer.

I agree with you that something should have been done about the racial harrassment. But that is no excuse to kill a bunch of people. If the guys from Columbine would have had more friends would that have prevented the shooting from happening? Are we blaming the doctors of the guy from Virginia Tech because they didn't give him good therapy and medication? Is it Theo van Gogh's (dutch filmmaker) own fault that he ended up with a knife in his stomach because he said such disgusting things about Islam? If someone kills his/her ex-lover should we take in consideration that breaking up led to the murder? Nah. Still something should have been done to racial harrassment (and to the stealing), but that has nothing to do with killing people.

[Edited 8/5/10 23:06pm]

There was change brought about from the Columbine massecre, and now people are more proactive about bullying in schools. Even though this situation is always awful when it happens.

I don't think the guy is "sick" .... just abused, I actually understand his anger, but I don't know why he would resort to killing anyone. He just simply went "postal"... its like he lost all hope in his fellow man. This to me is so sad because he allowed assholes to make him so angry that taking lives of people was an option to him.

I hope that in this tragedy that people turn to positivity and learn to become more proactive and sensitive when dealing with issues of race and culture in the workplace. rose

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > 9 dead in Connecticut workplace shooting