independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 24th Jan 2020 10:28am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Indiana Jones makes Russian communists see red
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/24/08 2:40am

TonyVanDam

Indiana Jones makes Russian communists see red

SIDENOTE: What do you think of this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/n...najones_dc

By Denis Pinchuk Fri May 23, 4:21 PM ET

ST PETERSBURG, Russia (Reuters) - Russian Communist Party members condemned the new "Indiana Jones" film on Friday as crude, anti-Soviet propaganda that distorts history and called for it to be banned from Russian screens.

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" stars Harrison Ford as an archeologist in 1957 competing with an evil KGB agent, played by Cate Blanchett, to find a skull endowed with mystic powers.

"What galls is how together with America we defeated Hitler, and how we sympathized when Bin Laden hit them. But they go ahead and scare kids with Communists. These people have no shame," said Viktor Perov, a Communist Party member in Russia's second city of St. Petersburg.

The comments were made at a local Communist party meeting and posted on its Internet site www.kplo.ru.

The film, the fourth in the hugely successful Indiana Jones series, went on release in Russian cinemas on Thursday. Russian media said it was being shown on 808 screens, the widest ever release for a Hollywood movie.

In past episodes Indiana Jones has escaped from Nazi soldiers, an Egyptian snake pit, a Bedouin swordsman and a child-enslaving Indian demigod.

RUNNING DOGS

"Harrison Ford and Cate Blanchett (are) second-rate actors, serving as the running dogs of the CIA. We need to deprive these people of the right of entering the country," said another party member, Andrei Gindos.

Though the ranks of the once all-powerful Communist Party have dwindled since Soviet times, its members see themselves as the defenders of the achievements of the old Soviet Union.

Other communists said the generation born after the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union were being fed revisionist, Hollywood history. They advocated banning the Indiana Jones outright to prevent "ideological sabotage."

"Our movie-goers are teenagers who are completely unaware of what happened in 1957," St Peterburg Communist Party chief Sergei Malinkovich told Reuters.

"They will go to the cinema and will be sure that in 1957 we made trouble for the United States and almost started a nuclear war."

"It's rubbish ... In 1957 the communists did not run with crystal skulls throughout the U.S. Why should we agree to that sort of lie and let the West trick our youth?"

Vladimir Mukhin, another member of the local Communist Party, said in comments posted on the Internet site that he would ask Russia's Culture Ministry to ban the film for its "anti-Soviet propaganda."

The "Indiana Jones" film is not the first Hollywood production to offend Russian sensibilities.

In 1998 the Russian parliament demanded the government explain why the Hollywood film "Armageddon" - which depicted a dilapidated Russian space station that blows apart because of a leaky pipe -- was allowed onto Russian cinema screens.

A government official at the time said the film, starring Bruce Willis as the leader of a team of astronauts sent to deflect an asteroid on a collision course with Earth, "mocked the achievements of Soviet and Russian technology."

Reuters/Nielsen
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/24/08 5:02am

XxAxX

avatar

i saw this movie the other day and it really does perpetuate some pretty outdated cultural stereotypes.

BUT it does so in the very, very obvious context of being set in 1957, when things between america and russia were quite different.

i don't particularly like the fact that russia circa 1957 has to be cast as the 'bad guy' but this movie is number four in a series that is knownfor swashbuckling adventure, not for its cultural insights
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/24/08 11:50pm

TonyVanDam

I wonder how people of the Middle East felt after seeing The Temple Of Doom the first time.
[Edited 5/24/08 23:50pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/25/08 12:15am

Flo6

avatar

I've lost count of the Russian-made movies I've seen in my +7 years here in Moscow that had an anti-US bias.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/25/08 12:19am

Flo6

avatar

I've lost count of the Russian-made movies I've seen in my +7 years here in Moscow that had an anti-US bias.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/25/08 1:28am

Nikademus

avatar

** WARNING...SPOILERS!! **















Heh...this is the same movie where Indy survives a ground zero nuclear blast by hiding in a refrigerator and then goes on to survive falling down not one, not two...but THREE huge waterfalls in a DUKW vehicle. Oh...and Indy had a hand in that whole Area 51 thing too.

IT'S A MOVIE rolleyes
Facebook, I haz it - https://www.facebook.com/Nikster1969

Yer booteh maeks meh moodeh

Differing opinions do not equal "hate"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/25/08 6:51am

WellInever

Poor little commies!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/25/08 11:57am

heartbeatocean

avatar

That's why I can't stand watching these films and don't want to see this one.

And I disagree with "It's only a movie" excuse. Movies are all about values and morals. Hollywood is America's most pervasive export worldwide. It's called cultural colonialism. It's time to see these things for what they are -- MUCH more than entertainment.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/25/08 1:48pm

mdiver

WellInever said:

Poor little commies!


How terribly enlightened of you..... neutral
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/25/08 2:02pm

WellInever

mdiver said:

WellInever said:

Poor little commies!


How terribly enlightened of you..... neutral


lol Please.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/25/08 2:07pm

mdiver

WellInever said:

mdiver said:



How terribly enlightened of you..... neutral


lol Please.


You know what a Communist is right?

You know that the Political situation in Russia and its former states is not Communist right?

That is a bit like calling Germany facist
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/25/08 2:24pm

Dance

Really?

Are they upset about Boris and Natasha too?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/25/08 3:51pm

pplrain

avatar

TonyVanDam said:

I wonder how people of the Middle East felt after seeing The Temple Of Doom the first time.
[Edited 5/24/08 23:50pm]


Yeah.. was this the one where people are eating monkey brains and eye sockets..

What does that tell you if you found out later that most people in India are vegetarians. LOL!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/25/08 3:56pm

eugnj420

pplrain said:

TonyVanDam said:

I wonder how people of the Middle East felt after seeing The Temple Of Doom the first time.
[Edited 5/24/08 23:50pm]


Yeah.. was this the one where people are eating monkey brains and eye sockets..

What does that tell you if you found out later that most people in India are vegetarians. LOL!


It tells me India isn't in the middle east, for one thing.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/25/08 4:13pm

pplrain

avatar

eugnj420 said:

pplrain said:



Yeah.. was this the one where people are eating monkey brains and eye sockets..

What does that tell you if you found out later that most people in India are vegetarians. LOL!


It tells me India isn't in the middle east, for one thing.


In Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), chilled monkey brains are served as a dessert in a scene set in India. Hindus revere monkeys due to mythological character Hanuman in the epic Ramayana and a significant number of Hindus are lacto-vegetarians. The movie was banned in India for its "racist portrayal of Indians and overt imperialistic tendencies".
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/25/08 4:50pm

viewaskew

pplrain said:

eugnj420 said:



It tells me India isn't in the middle east, for one thing.


In Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), chilled monkey brains are served as a dessert in a scene set in India. Hindus revere monkeys due to mythological character Hanuman in the epic Ramayana and a significant number of Hindus are lacto-vegetarians. The movie was banned in India for its "racist portrayal of Indians and overt imperialistic tendencies".


It was in trouble for more than just that - the cult they chose, even though it was a cult portrayed in at least one other major movie, got some people riled up.

Too bad. rolleyes
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/26/08 9:15am

WellInever

pplrain said:

TonyVanDam said:

I wonder how people of the Middle East felt after seeing The Temple Of Doom the first time.
[Edited 5/24/08 23:50pm]


Yeah.. was this the one where people are eating monkey brains and eye sockets..

What does that tell you if you found out later that most people in India are vegetarians. LOL!



in the movie the people in that castle were all under the spell. Once he died the spell was broken and they were freed.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/26/08 9:21am

WellInever

mdiver said:

WellInever said:



lol Please.


You know what a Communist is right?

You know that the Political situation in Russia and its former states is not Communist right?

That is a bit like calling Germany facist


Strictly speaking you are correct. But from a more general way of speaking, in the common vernacular, they were 'commies.' Much like it is common to say the US is a democracy. It is also very worth noting, they (the 'Russians') have make many films that cast the US in a bad light. So I have little sympathy.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/26/08 9:24am

WellInever

viewaskew said:



It was in trouble for more than just that - the cult they chose, even though it was a cult portrayed in at least one other major movie, got some people riled up.

Too bad. rolleyes



Yes all the movies SOME historical basis. All of them were WAY over the top. I am sure people from other planets would be aghast at how we 'humons' portray them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/26/08 9:25am

Mars23

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Between this and "Resident Evil 5" I wonder where the magical people exist that one can make up fictional stories about without pissing some of them off.

Cinderella clearly shits on stepmothers.

South Park stereotypes Colorado.

Live Aid portrayed famine victims as people that cannot fend for themselves.

I hope we can ban all of these and more.
Studies have shown the ass crack of the average Prince fan to be abnormally large. This explains the ease and frequency of their panties bunching up in it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/26/08 9:32am

WellInever

Mars23 said:


I hope we can ban all of these and more.


Do not forget people that push their agenda of smoking monkeys!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/26/08 9:46am

Mars23

Moderator

avatar

moderator

WellInever said:

Mars23 said:


I hope we can ban all of these and more.


Do not forget people that push their agenda of smoking monkeys!



Nah, they're cool.
Studies have shown the ass crack of the average Prince fan to be abnormally large. This explains the ease and frequency of their panties bunching up in it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/26/08 10:36am

WellInever

Mars23 said:

WellInever said:



Do not forget people that push their agenda of smoking monkeys!



Nah, they're cool.



Think about the monkeys!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/26/08 3:29pm

UNCLEDICK

avatar

heartbeatocean said:

That's why I can't stand watching these films and don't want to see this one.

And I disagree with "It's only a movie" excuse. Movies are all about values and morals. Hollywood is America's most pervasive export worldwide. It's called cultural colonialism. It's time to see these things for what they are -- MUCH more than entertainment.

I believe you are referring to the preconditioning that is so perfectly executed through Hollywood movies.
Except for the occasional heart attack, I never felt better!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/29/08 8:11pm

heartbeatocean

avatar

Mars23 said:

Between this and "Resident Evil 5" I wonder where the magical people exist that one can make up fictional stories about without pissing some of them off.

Cinderella clearly shits on stepmothers.

South Park stereotypes Colorado.

Live Aid portrayed famine victims as people that cannot fend for themselves.

I hope we can ban all of these and more.


Hardly a clever attitude. Fictional stories make choices and these choices can be critiqued. Nobody is talking about banning movies. They are talking about critiquing such movies in an intelligent, thoughtful way. Questions such as: How does this movie portray ourselves and people who are different? How does this movie portray our role in the world as opposed to other cultures? What are the underlying assumptions and values proclaimed by such a movie? Whom does this movie (and its values) ultimately benefit and how? What alternative voices and viewpoints are being denied, manipulated, and contorted by this movie?

It may be hard to believe if you only watch movies that come out of the Hollywood machine, but not every movie is thoughtless and offensive to other cultures. Some movies are revelatory, investigative, questioning. Some movies are actually made by people from other countries and share a more authentic viewpoint about their own culture. How many of these movies get distributed and watched? How many national cinemas fail in their own countries, because American films dominate the screens?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/29/08 9:02pm

TonyVanDam

eugnj420 said:

pplrain said:



Yeah.. was this the one where people are eating monkey brains and eye sockets..

What does that tell you if you found out later that most people in India are vegetarians. LOL!


It tells me India isn't in the middle east, for one thing.


And second of all, the clean animal of choice in India is chicken.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/29/08 9:48pm

heartbeatocean

avatar

On the surface, Hollywood is a liberal enterprise. But if you analyze its history and the formulaic text, it is actually reactionary, deeply enforcing values such as xenophobia, monogamy, homophobia, sexism, racism, etc. Action blockbusters almost always assert American dominance over the rest of the world and the very dialectic itself of good vs. evil, which the system relies upon, leads to superficial feel-good, we-are-in-the-right messages. These movies often display a hip mainstream critique (of materialism or war, for instance), dropping candies of political correctness, then end up reinforcing the very values it pretends to critique.

Of course, I am talking about Classic Hollywood Cinema and its offspring...though today the mix of independent vs. industry films is increasingly hybrid.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/29/08 9:54pm

heartbeatocean

avatar

And it's interesting that several people on this thread have argued that Russians make anti-American movies, but how many of us have actually seen them? Are these movies exported worldwide raking in millions of dollars from foreign economies? We may label them propaganda, but is not Hollywood a form of propaganda, disguised in the form of entertainment?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/30/08 6:21am

XxAxX

avatar

heartbeatocean said:

Mars23 said:

Between this and "Resident Evil 5" I wonder where the magical people exist that one can make up fictional stories about without pissing some of them off.

Cinderella clearly shits on stepmothers.

South Park stereotypes Colorado.

Live Aid portrayed famine victims as people that cannot fend for themselves.

I hope we can ban all of these and more.


Hardly a clever attitude. Fictional stories make choices and these choices can be critiqued. Nobody is talking about banning movies. They are talking about critiquing such movies in an intelligent, thoughtful way. Questions such as: How does this movie portray ourselves and people who are different? How does this movie portray our role in the world as opposed to other cultures? What are the underlying assumptions and values proclaimed by such a movie? Whom does this movie (and its values) ultimately benefit and how? What alternative voices and viewpoints are being denied, manipulated, and contorted by this movie?

It may be hard to believe if you only watch movies that come out of the Hollywood machine, but not every movie is thoughtless and offensive to other cultures. Some movies are revelatory, investigative, questioning. Some movies are actually made by people from other countries and share a more authentic viewpoint about their own culture. How many of these movies get distributed and watched? How many national cinemas fail in their own countries, because American films dominate the screens?


have you seen this movie yet?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/30/08 6:56am

heartbeatocean

avatar

XxAxX said:

heartbeatocean said:



Hardly a clever attitude. Fictional stories make choices and these choices can be critiqued. Nobody is talking about banning movies. They are talking about critiquing such movies in an intelligent, thoughtful way. Questions such as: How does this movie portray ourselves and people who are different? How does this movie portray our role in the world as opposed to other cultures? What are the underlying assumptions and values proclaimed by such a movie? Whom does this movie (and its values) ultimately benefit and how? What alternative voices and viewpoints are being denied, manipulated, and contorted by this movie?

It may be hard to believe if you only watch movies that come out of the Hollywood machine, but not every movie is thoughtless and offensive to other cultures. Some movies are revelatory, investigative, questioning. Some movies are actually made by people from other countries and share a more authentic viewpoint about their own culture. How many of these movies get distributed and watched? How many national cinemas fail in their own countries, because American films dominate the screens?


have you seen this movie yet?

nah, I'm just shooting from the hip in this case
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Indiana Jones makes Russian communists see red