independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > 'Rust' crew member dead after shooting incident involving Alec Baldwin
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/21/21 8:39pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

'Rust' crew member dead after shooting incident involving Alec Baldwin

(CNN)A female crew member has died and another injured following an accident involving a prop firearm on the New Mexico set of the film "Rust," according to a law enforcement statement provided to CNN.

The prop firearm was discharged by actor and producer Alec Baldwin, 68, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office.

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/21/21 8:50pm

lust

avatar

How awful for all involved.

Can someone explain what a prop gun is? I would have assumed that it’s not something that actually shoots bullets?
[Edited 10/21/21 20:50pm]
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda pussy to drink it!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/21/21 8:54pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

lust said:

How awful for all involved. Can someone explain what a prop gun is? I would have assumed that it’s not something that actually shoots bullets? [Edited 10/21/21 20:50pm]


My heart goes out to all involved.


Prop guns are toy guns that have to look like real guns. They are commonly used in movies, TV show, and other theatrical performances.

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/21/21 9:02pm

lust

avatar

luv4u said:



lust said:


How awful for all involved. Can someone explain what a prop gun is? I would have assumed that it’s not something that actually shoots bullets? [Edited 10/21/21 20:50pm]


My heart goes out to all involved.


Prop guns are toy guns that have to look like real guns. They are commonly used in movies, TV show, and other theatrical performances.



Yeah, that’s what I would have assumed but this one shot and killed someone so was it a prop gun or a real gun and I’m missing some nuance of what a prop gun is?
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda pussy to drink it!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/22/21 6:11am

Phishanga

avatar

Prop guns are obviously NOT toy guns or no one would have died. Here's an article: https://www.bbc.com/news/w...a-59006905

Hey loudmouth, shut the fuck up, right?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/22/21 9:14am

kpowers

avatar

xJA2S9sOVDUb6wA44I9zzaol2GiksdICOqIHiWOO53Y-JWuNmO6Fr-olEvsAGQZLryy7aaDd8uaj47UuwA

mqdefault.jpg

On October 12, 1984, the cast and crew of Cover Up were filming the seventh episode of the series, "Golden Opportunity", on Stage 17 of the 20th Century Fox lot. One of the scenes filmed that day called for Hexum's character to load bullets into a .44 Magnum handgun, so he was provided with a functional gun and blanks. When the scene did not play as the director wanted it to in the master shot, there was a delay in filming. Hexum became restless and impatient during the delay and began playing around to lighten the mood. He had unloaded all but one (blank) round, spun it, and—simulating Russian roulette—he put the revolver to his right temple and pulled the trigger,[6] apparently unaware of the danger.

[Edited 10/23/21 9:02am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/22/21 9:44am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

What the hell were real bullets doing in a prop gun? The same fiasco killed Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's son.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/22/21 9:47am

onlyforaminute

avatar

I'm feeling for Alec. This issue was supposed to be resolved 30 years ago. They're going to investigate the hell out of this.
Time keeps on slipping into the future...


This moment is all there is...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/22/21 10:36am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

What the hell were real bullets doing in a prop gun? The same fiasco killed Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's son.


Let's keep facts straight here.

There were no bullets in the gun that Alec Baldwin fired. That has been reported over and over already. This is not the same situation as Hexum.

A prop gun is still a gun made to fire, but that has blanks and gunpowder in it, but no projectiles. If you're within 20 feet of a gun loaded with blanks, you can be injured. Any of that smoke, powder, or muzzle flash could affect anyone or anything close when the gun fires. That comes from a gun expert in the business, not my summation.

Jon-Erik fired a gun with blanks at his head in a mock game of Russian roulette on a set, and accidentally killed himself.

The Brandon Lee situation was the one where a bullet ended up in the gun. I'm not sure how/why that happened.

How did the firing accident happen in this case with Baldwin? Well, we don't know. But the first thing I thought was that they were filming a scene, perhaps, where Alec was pointing the gun toward-ish the camera straight on. With the cinematographer being behind the camera, she was first in line when it fired. Same with the director if he was right there, too.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/22/21 10:48am

fortuneandsere
ndipity

All these incidents are ridiculous and preventable.

Want to hear the sound of a gun firing, when it's not actually firing at all? Just overdub the sound effect. Want to mimic the effect of gun smoke? Use a smoke machine effect, or is that's not satisfactory CGI it.


The hypocrisy of the far-left is something else.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - this is where all religions fall down.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/22/21 10:55am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

fortuneandserendipity said:

All these incidents are ridiculous and preventable.

Want to hear the sound of a gun firing, when it's not actually firing at all? Just overdub the sound effect. Want to mimic the effect of gun smoke? Use a smoke machine effect, or is that's not satisfactory CGI it.


That's a simplistic answer. But let me expand a bit.

I worked in Hollywood, and smoke machines weren't used for guns. They're used to create smoke in a large area, mostly to pick up lighting, but also for mood and ambiance.

OF COURSE they're preventable. When they happen, that's why they're called accidents, not on purposes. These people don't just show up on a set with a gun and hope for the best. There are experts there, folks who have been in gun safety - specifically that of movie sets - for 30 or 40 years. Their job is to - wait for it - prevent accidents.

And most times they're going to overdub a gun sound anyway. Guns pop when they fire. The sound we think a gun makes is always an sound FX put on later. 85% of the sound you hear in a film or TV show is filtered, overdubbed, or otherwise laid in during foley.

Even foot steps that seems perfectly natural - it's some woman in her sweats with heels on in a studio walking across a slab of concrete or wood or whatever they're looking to achieve. That body falling and hitting the floor? Probably a bag of flour or sand dropped from about 5 feet and recorded on impact.

[Edited 10/22/21 13:19pm]

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/22/21 11:00am

PliablyPurple

Tragic, RIP. The family must be devastated, as all involved would be.

Also, it is being reported to have been a "single, live round."

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/22/21 11:02am

PliablyPurple

The prop gun actor Alec Baldwin discharged on set of the film "Rust" on Thursday, killing director of photography Halyna Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza, contained a "live round," a union covering prop masters told its members.

The email from the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) Local 44, seen by Indie Wire, called the incident an "accidental weapons discharge."

"A live single round was accidentally fired on set by the principal actor, hitting both the Director of Photography, Local 600 member Halyna Hutchins, and Director Joel Souza," the email said. "Local 44 has confirmed that the Props, Set Decoration, Special Effects, and Construction Departments were staffed by New Mexico crew members. There were no Local 44 members on the call sheet."


From an article on Yahoo.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/22/21 12:09pm

onlyforaminute

avatar

PliablyPurple said:

The prop gun actor Alec Baldwin discharged on set of the film "Rust" on Thursday, killing director of photography Halyna Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza, contained a "live round," a union covering prop masters told its members.


The email from the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) Local 44, seen by Indie Wire, called the incident an "accidental weapons discharge."


"A live single round was accidentally fired on set by the principal actor, hitting both the Director of Photography, Local 600 member Halyna Hutchins, and Director Joel Souza," the email said. "Local 44 has confirmed that the Props, Set Decoration, Special Effects, and Construction Departments were staffed by New Mexico crew members. There were no Local 44 members on the call sheet."




From an article on Yahoo.


I don't know but reading that makes the incident suspect to me.
Time keeps on slipping into the future...


This moment is all there is...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/22/21 12:11pm

lust

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:



purplethunder3121 said:


What the hell were real bullets doing in a prop gun? The same fiasco killed Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's son.




Let's keep facts straight here.

There were no bullets in the gun that Alec Baldwin fired. That has been reported over and over already. This is not the same situation as Hexum.

A prop gun is still a gun made to fire, but that has blanks and gunpowder in it, but no projectiles. If you're within 20 feet of a gun loaded with blanks, you can be injured. Any of that smoke, powder, or muzzle flash could affect anyone or anything close when the gun fires. That comes from a gun expert in the business, not my summation.

Jon-Erik fired a gun with blanks at his head in a mock game of Russian roulette on a set, and accidentally killed himself.

The Brandon Lee situation was the one where a bullet ended up in the gun. I'm not sure how/why that happened.

How did the firing accident happen in this case with Baldwin? Well, we don't know. But the first thing I thought was that they were filming a scene, perhaps, where Alec was pointing the gun toward-ish the camera straight on. With the cinematographer being behind the camera, she was first in line when it fired. Same with the director if he was right there, too.



Thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense than saying it’s a fake toy gun.

To your later point re foley done in post, that’s also obvious. So why do they need blanks to fire at all? Must be pretty easy to add a muzzle flash (if I’m using the right gun jargon)
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda pussy to drink it!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/22/21 1:14pm

nayroo2002

avatar

[Wrong forum for politics Snip - luv4u]

"Whatever skin Ur in
we all need 2 b friends"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/22/21 1:18pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

lust said:


Thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense than saying it’s a fake toy gun. To your later point re foley done in post, that’s also obvious. So why do they need blanks to fire at all? Must be pretty easy to add a muzzle flash (if I’m using the right gun jargon)


Yeah, no one's buying a toy gun at Toys R Us for a big budget movie.

The need for blanks is for the affect the gun has on a person. The kickback, the smoke, the muzzle flash, etc. It's easy to say "well just add it in post with CGI." But CGI costs a lot of money. To go into a film print, add computer generated imagery, and make it look real, then make a new print (or master) of that for the final editing and distribution... it's a lot of work that can be bypassed with just using a gun with blanks.

It's all very technical and gun technology has changed oodles over the decades making some things more realistic and genuine in films. But guns are guns, and there is always a danger factor in these things. Some directors like using more practical gags than CGI. The Saw movies used most all practical gag and stunts in the films. The guts and gore were real, not overlaid with a high end Apple computer. They worked to be sure blood splattering, brains exploding, or whatever were done right and done in one take (much like the old days of horror movies).

So I don't know what they did on Rust, but using a real gun with a blank isnt' unusual. Lightsabers - CGI. Guns in a western - real.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/22/21 1:20pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Fine, substitute the term "live round" for "bullet." The results are the same. confused

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 10/22/21 1:39pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 10/22/21 1:54pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

Fine, substitute the term "live round" for "bullet." The results are the same. confused


Yeah, for sure. It seems this is an evolving story. So those terms, I believe, are going to be crucial to the truth as it all unfolds.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 10/22/21 2:29pm

onlyforaminute

avatar

hmm...

Hours before...a half-dozen camera crew workers walked off the set to protest working conditions.

The camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints of long hours and getting their paychecks, according to three people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment.
Time keeps on slipping into the future...


This moment is all there is...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 10/22/21 3:14pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

onlyforaminute said:

hmm... Hours before...a half-dozen camera crew workers walked off the set to protest working conditions. The camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints of long hours and getting their paychecks, according to three people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment.

Allegedly a 19-year old with no prior experience was put in charge of the stunts.

Also Alec was allegedly a co-producer of the film, i.e. "the boss".

[Edited 10/22/21 16:00pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 10/22/21 3:36pm

fortuneandsere
ndipity

TrivialPursuit said:

fortuneandserendipity said:

All these incidents are ridiculous and preventable.

Want to hear the sound of a gun firing, when it's not actually firing at all? Just overdub the sound effect. Want to mimic the effect of gun smoke? Use a smoke machine effect, or is that's not satisfactory CGI it.


That's a simplistic answer. But let me expand a bit.

I worked in Hollywood, and smoke machines weren't used for guns. They're used to create smoke in a large area, mostly to pick up lighting, but also for mood and ambiance.

OF COURSE they're preventable. When they happen, that's why they're called accidents, not on purposes. These people don't just show up on a set with a gun and hope for the best. There are experts there, folks who have been in gun safety - specifically that of movie sets - for 30 or 40 years. Their job is to - wait for it - prevent accidents.

And most times they're going to overdub a gun sound anyway. Guns pop when they fire. The sound we think a gun makes is always an sound FX put on later. 85% of the sound you hear in a film or TV show is filtered, overdubbed, or otherwise laid in during foley.

Even foot steps that seems perfectly natural - it's some woman in her sweats with heels on in a studio walking across a slab of concrete or wood or whatever they're looking to achieve. That body falling and hitting the floor? Probably a bag of flour or sand dropped from about 5 feet and recorded on impact.

[Edited 10/22/21 13:19pm]


Oh I know that. But if they can put man on the moon in 1969 and today create semiconductor transistors 1,582487623000111 zillion times thinner than a human hair, then they can create a thinner nozzle for a smoke machine, or make it shoot out narrow.


The hypocrisy of the far-left is something else.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - this is where all religions fall down.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 10/22/21 3:38pm

fortuneandsere
ndipity

.

[Edited 10/22/21 15:38pm]

The hypocrisy of the far-left is something else.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - this is where all religions fall down.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 10/22/21 4:03pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:



onlyforaminute said:


hmm... Hours before...a half-dozen camera crew workers walked off the set to protest working conditions. The camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints of long hours and getting their paychecks, according to three people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment.


Allegedly a 19-year old with no prior experience was put in charge of the stunts.

Also Alec was allegedly a co-producer of the film, i.e. "the boss".

[Edited 10/22/21 16:00pm]



Adam Baldwin is not Alec Baldwin's brother.

Ah, I see you've edited your post as I was typing lol
[Edited 10/22/21 16:05pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 10/22/21 6:23pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

WhisperingDandelions said:

Allegedly a 19-year old with no prior experience was put in charge of the stunts.

Also Alec was allegedly a co-producer of the film, i.e. "the boss".

[Edited 10/22/21 16:00pm]

Adam Baldwin is not Alec Baldwin's brother. Ah, I see you've edited your post as I was typing lol [Edited 10/22/21 16:05pm]

We're all brothers and sisters, Emmz.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 10/22/21 6:55pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:

EmmaMcG said:

WhisperingDandelions said: Adam Baldwin is not Alec Baldwin's brother. Ah, I see you've edited your post as I was typing lol

We're all brothers and sisters, Emmz.


If that's the case, who here has good insurance and a good credit rating? Because I need better coverage.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 10/23/21 4:55am

Deadflow3r

avatar

eek eek eek Today Baldwin said an assistant handed him a loaded gun UNKNOWINGLY. How do you have both loaded guns and unloaded guns in the same area where EVERYONE doesn’t clearly know that???? This is Russian roulette as far as I am concerned. All LOADED guns should be in some sort of case. That case should be LOCKED. If for any reason that case is unlocked, then the WITH THE LOADED GUN IN IT 🔥, should be VERY clearly distinguishable from all other cases. I understand why they would have security on a set. I don’t understand why a LOADED gun needs to be within reach of anyone that is not security. If you licensed to carry in the United States 🇺🇸 it means you are capable of being responsible for that weapon and that weapon needs to be on you at all times. Who did the gun belong to? Who loaded the gun? Why was a loaded gun on the set? This is Hollywood, California for you! What is REAL and what is fake is constantly blending together with zero people having a clue which is which!!!! It doesn’t sound like an accident at all. It reminds me of pyromaniacs, people that purposely set 🔥 just to watch what happens next. I am implying that there was someone on the set that knew good and well that they were setting the stage for a catastrophe.
[Edited 10/24/21 3:33am]
There came a time when the risk of remaining tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. Anais Nin.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 10/23/21 9:29pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

I've seen a lot of text messages and DMs from crew who walked off the set that day or the day before because of the lack of safety protocols. I thought there had been 2 other live rounds in a gun on set, which is 2 too many. Perhaps one of the walk-offs was the gun safety dept. We know that non-union members were called in to fill spots during this walk-out. And hell, apparently that could be just about anyone.

The producers weren't even getting some of the crew hotel rooms. They were either making them drive 4 hours to a decent hotel, or offered some road side motel, that was closer, but doubles as a homeless motel.

It's a low budget film and the crew wasn't happy. So - having said all I said earlier in the thread, it seems the details and truth of this whole situation is rapidly developing and coming to light. I'm just gonna wait it all out.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 10/27/21 12:22pm

onlyforaminute

avatar

So it was a real vintage gun. Bullets were on set. Heads are going to roll. I wonder what new policies will happen now.
Time keeps on slipping into the future...


This moment is all there is...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > 'Rust' crew member dead after shooting incident involving Alec Baldwin