independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Ellen is over
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/12/21 7:37pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Ellen is over

Ellen DeGeneres will be ending her show after the next season, which will be the 19th. She said she needed something to challenge her, and the show doesn't do that anymore for her.

It challenges me. It challenges me to see how long I can watch it before I'm just fucking put off by her.

I've enjoyed Ellen since the beginning on Carson. That whole "calling heaven" routine was genius. Her sitcom(s) were great, and groundbreaking with "The Puppy Episode" (which was about coming out as lesbian, but the network didn't want to call it something controverisal, so they called it "The Puppy Episode"). That really changed the landscape of LGBTQ on television in 1997. Others like Rupert Everett (1989), kd lang (1992), Melissa Etheridge (1993), and Rosie O'Donnell (2005) all came out before and after Ellen. But they didn't have a TV show while doing it - playing a character who came out, and putting that sort of thing on television. It was the talk of the fucking world, and conservatives had a field day with it. Jerry Falwell even called her Ellen Degenerate - a cheap shot by a cheap man.

Ellen did a lot of good. But she's also a pain in the ass to work for. I have a friend who is a makeup artist to A-list stars. One of his main clients was on a hit sitcom in the 90s, as well as its revival in recent years. He was with that client she they appeared on Ellen. He noted how weird Ellen was, barging into the dressing room, acting super hyper like everything was super peachy keen, then just disappearing. Everyone just sorta sat there and said, "What the hell was that?" (the story is a bit more involved, but I kept it purposely vague.) When stories about the workplace culture at her show being toxic, I wasn't surprised. At. All.

I still think she misses the boat on a lot of things. She's either trying to not be controversial, or she's obtuse; purposely not seeing the truth of things or at least trying to learn about them. (She's basically the epitome of a rich white lady.)

I'm disappointed in her now compared to the Ellen I knew years ago. But I'm also not going to miss her show anymore, either.

Thoughts on Ellen and her show leaving at the end of the 2021-2022 season?

[Edited 5/14/21 18:59pm]

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/12/21 9:56pm

alphastreet

She jumped on believing leaving neverland, so I lost respect for her. It was shortly after that stories about her mistreating staff came out
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/13/21 12:09am

EmmaMcG

avatar

I find her insufferable to watch. She always comes across as so fake. She's basically the female Jimmy Fallon only less annoying. I won't miss her show.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/13/21 12:34am

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

alphastreet said:

She jumped on believing leaving neverland, so I lost respect for her. It was shortly after that stories about her mistreating staff came out



Yes, it was very clear this was fictitious, I personally like mj but even if you didn't it was clear it was bs
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/13/21 12:36am

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

Her show does good for many and I enjoy it! So that's sad. But I think she had to quit after all those allegations about her came out. If they aren't true and who knows, then she was finished by lies what a shame. If they are true, well, karma. The story you tell of re make up artist, I wonder if it were ladies rooms she'd barge in on or just anyone.
[Edited 5/13/21 0:40am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/13/21 12:41am

TonyVanDam

avatar

Ellen was no Johnny or Arsenio. Yes, I said it!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/13/21 12:45am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

I find her insufferable to watch. She always comes across as so fake. She's basically the female Jimmy Fallon only less annoying. I won't miss her show.


I wrote an article once about everything being so goddamn funny to Fallon. He's one of the phoniest people on television. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/13/21 12:47am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

coldcoffeeandcocacola said:

alphastreet said:
She jumped on believing leaving neverland, so I lost respect for her. It was shortly after that stories about her mistreating staff came out
Yes, it was very clear this was fictitious, I personally like mj but even if you didn't it was clear it was bs


SO many people, especially celebrities, jumped on board believing that pile of gutter trash. Wade Robson's motive is so clearly laid out. I think people always wanted a reason to hate the greatest entertainer of our generation (Prince is the greatest musician, so y'all settle down), and that fictional story certainly gave it to them.

I still blame Martin Bashir for all of this. Every. Single. Bit.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/13/21 12:50am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

coldcoffeeandcocacola said:

Her show does good for many and I enjoy it! So that's sad. But I think she had to quit after all those allegations about her came out. If they aren't true and who knows, then she was finished by lies what a shame. If they are true, well, karma. The story you tell of re make up artist, I wonder if it were ladies rooms she'd barge in on or just anyone.


She owns her show. She didn't have to do anything she didn't want. She could've just said this season was it, and ended the show this summer, whenever it was due to go on break normally.

She didn't barge in without knocking. She wasn't kickin' down doors or anything. haha It's that when she did come in, it was this frenzy of nervous energy, fake smiles, talking like they'd all hung out for ages and were catching up, making stupid jokes. Then when she'd done her schtick or whatever it was, she just jetted out. (I mean, she can't hang forever, she has to get ready for the show.) Just phony and weird ass stuff.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/13/21 3:37am

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:



coldcoffeeandcocacola said:


alphastreet said:
She jumped on believing leaving neverland, so I lost respect for her. It was shortly after that stories about her mistreating staff came out

Yes, it was very clear this was fictitious, I personally like mj but even if you didn't it was clear it was bs


SO many people, especially celebrities, jumped on board believing that pile of gutter trash. Wade Robson's motive is so clearly laid out. I think people always wanted a reason to hate the greatest entertainer of our generation (Prince is the greatest musician, so y'all settle down), and that fictional story certainly gave it to them.

I still blame Martin Bashir for all of this. Every. Single. Bit.




Yes. Every last bit of AWFUL stuff and his death actually I lay at bashirs feet. Absolute scum.

Me too has done so so much damage. No reasoning allowed. If someone claims to be a victim they are a victim even when it's clear they aren't..
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/13/21 3:38am

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:



coldcoffeeandcocacola said:


Her show does good for many and I enjoy it! So that's sad. But I think she had to quit after all those allegations about her came out. If they aren't true and who knows, then she was finished by lies what a shame. If they are true, well, karma. The story you tell of re make up artist, I wonder if it were ladies rooms she'd barge in on or just anyone.


She owns her show. She didn't have to do anything she didn't want. She could've just said this season was it, and ended the show this summer, whenever it was due to go on break normally.

She didn't barge in without knocking. She wasn't kickin' down doors or anything. haha It's that when she did come in, it was this frenzy of nervous energy, fake smiles, talking like they'd all hung out for ages and were catching up, making stupid jokes. Then when she'd done her schtick or whatever it was, she just jetted out. (I mean, she can't hang forever, she has to get ready for the show.) Just phony and weird ass stuff.



That's strange behaviour indeed
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/13/21 10:04am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Bad lesbian.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/13/21 11:08am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

coldcoffeeandcocacola said:


Yes. Every last bit of AWFUL stuff and his death actually I lay at bashirs feet. Absolute scum. Me too has done so so much damage. No reasoning allowed. If someone claims to be a victim they are a victim even when it's clear they aren't..


MeToo has allowed people to come forward and speak their truth and have support. If someone like Wade Robson tries to exploit that for financial gain, that's on him, not the movement.

And yes, if someone claims abuse, we have a duty to - at least for a moment - to believe them. THEN, we investigate. Find out the truth. Get down to ground zero and find out if they're lying or not. If they aren't, then the perpetrator has to face consequences. If the alleged victim is lying, then they face consequences.

I think that rule is more important for children, because they can be stuck in a situation at home with no way out, whereas an adult possibly has a means to leave. But to believe a victim, until the truth comes out, - nothing wrong with that.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/13/21 11:33pm

alphastreet

TrivialPursuit said:



coldcoffeeandcocacola said:



Yes. Every last bit of AWFUL stuff and his death actually I lay at bashirs feet. Absolute scum. Me too has done so so much damage. No reasoning allowed. If someone claims to be a victim they are a victim even when it's clear they aren't..


MeToo has allowed people to come forward and speak their truth and have support. If someone like Wade Robson tries to exploit that for financial gain, that's on him, not the movement.

And yes, if someone claims abuse, we have a duty to - at least for a moment - to believe them. THEN, we investigate. Find out the truth. Get down to ground zero and find out if they're lying or not. If they aren't, then the perpetrator has to face consequences. If the alleged victim is lying, then they face consequences.

I think that rule is more important for children, because they can be stuck in a situation at home with no way out, whereas an adult possibly has a means to leave. But to believe a victim, until the truth comes out, - nothing wrong with that.



I totally agree. I’m relieved for a movement like me too, and feel those liars took advantage of it and are mocking those who’ve really been abused
[Edited 5/13/21 23:34pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/14/21 1:11am

kpowers

avatar

I only watched Ellen when Prince was on it

Ellen remembers legend Prince with epic throw back clip

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/14/21 9:01am

kpowers

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

I find her insufferable to watch. She always comes across as so fake. She's basically the female Jimmy Fallon only less annoying. I won't miss her show.

Come to think of it I hate all the late night talk show hosts here in the USA. I do like Conan though

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/14/21 1:55pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

kpowers said:

EmmaMcG said:

I find her insufferable to watch. She always comes across as so fake. She's basically the female Jimmy Fallon only less annoying. I won't miss her show.

Come to think of it I hate all the late night talk show hosts here in the USA. I do like Conan though


Fallon - fake asshole

Corden - British asshole

Kimmel - meh, good guy, don't care to watch him

Colbert - good monologues sometimes, not generally interested in his show

Meyers - okay? Funny guy, not suited for a talk show, better as a writer

Cohen - sometimes a bit too reality-show centric, but a few interviews with actual stars are good (Rosie O'Donnell really spilled on her departure from The View a year or two ago when her and Joy Behar - who remained quiet on that part - were on the after show. It was noted how ahead of the curve O'Donnell was on the war in Afghanistan and Trump, but everyone lambasted her back then for it.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/14/21 1:57pm

kpowers

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

kpowers said:

Come to think of it I hate all the late night talk show hosts here in the USA. I do like Conan though


Fallon - fake asshole

Corden - British asshole

Kimmel - meh, good guy, don't care to watch him

Colbert - good monologues sometimes, not generally interested in his show

Meyers - okay? Funny guy, not suited for a talk show, better as a writer

Cohen - sometimes a bit too reality-show centric, but a few interviews with actual stars are good (Rosie O'Donnell really spilled on her departure from The View a year or two ago when her and Joy Behar - who remained quiet on that part - were on the after show. It was noted how ahead of the curve O'Donnell was on the war in Afghanistan and Trump, but everyone lambasted her back then for it.

Kimmel, Colbert and Meyers also asshole.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/14/21 6:47pm

ThisOne

kpowers said:

I only watched Ellen when Prince was on it


Ellen remembers legend Prince with epic throw back clip



Me 2
And it annoys me that she didn’t air bambi
mailto:www.iDon'tThinkSo.com.Uranus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/15/21 1:49am

TonyVanDam

avatar

ThisOne said:

kpowers said:

I only watched Ellen when Prince was on it

Ellen remembers legend Prince with epic throw back clip

Me 2 And it annoys me that she didn’t air bambi

.

If you were a tomboy-ish lesbian woman that always "wear the pants" in your relationship/marriage with your partner, would you really want Prince's live version of Bambi on your show to be air on TV? lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/15/21 4:51am

ThisOne

TonyVanDam said:



ThisOne said:


kpowers said:

I only watched Ellen when Prince was on it


Ellen remembers legend Prince with epic throw back clip



Me 2 And it annoys me that she didn’t air bambi

.


If you were a tomboy-ish lesbian woman that always "wear the pants" in your relationship/marriage with your partner, would you really want Prince's live version of Bambi on your show to be air on TV? lol



Music should not have censorship or barriers- ellen should have just sucked it up and let the music play 🎼 🎶 🎵
mailto:www.iDon'tThinkSo.com.Uranus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/15/21 7:44am

MickyDolenz

avatar

ThisOne said:

Music should not have censorship or barriers- ellen should have just sucked it up and let the music play 🎼 🎶 🎵

Free speech only applies to the US governement. A private company can censor anything they want for any reason. Just like on this site & others, the mods snip comments all the time if they don't follow the rules. Some newspaper sites don't automatically let comments go through until they are approved to prevent trolls posting.

Regular broadcast TV & radio is censored anyway by the FCC. That's why there is a 5 second delay on live TV programs like award shows, so any profanity can be bleeped out. Walmart does not sell any CDs with a parental advisory sticker. They only sell the clean version. Some acts release dirty & clean versions of their albums and/or songs. They're not just bleeped out words, but totally separate recordings.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/15/21 9:41am

kpowers

avatar

ThisOne said:

TonyVanDam said:

.

If you were a tomboy-ish lesbian woman that always "wear the pants" in your relationship/marriage with your partner, would you really want Prince's live version of Bambi on your show to be air on TV? lol

Music should not have censorship or barriers- ellen should have just sucked it up and let the music play 🎼 🎶 🎵

Not sure what the back story is to this? Maybe time was an issue so they couldn't air everything he played.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/16/21 9:36pm

TonyVanDam

avatar

ThisOne said:

Music should not have censorship or barriers- ellen should have just sucked it up and let the music play 🎼 🎶 🎵

.

I strongly agree! lol nod

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/17/21 8:22am

Genesia

avatar

The fact that Ellen outed Mariah Carey's pregnancy (against Carey's wishes) and that Carey later lost the baby reveals Ellen's despicable nature.

I'm not a fan of Dakota Johnson, but good on her for calling Ellen out as the lying sack of shit she really is.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/17/21 9:19am

kpowers

avatar

TonyVanDam said:

ThisOne said:

Music should not have censorship or barriers- ellen should have just sucked it up and let the music play 🎼 🎶 🎵

.

I strongly agree! lol nod

And what is the back story to all this???????????????????????????

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/17/21 3:53pm

alphastreet

Genesia said:

The fact that Ellen outed Mariah Carey's pregnancy (against Carey's wishes) and that Carey later lost the baby reveals Ellen's despicable nature.

I'm not a fan of Dakota Johnson, but good on her for calling Ellen out as the lying sack of shit she really is.



That was a rotten thing to do
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/17/21 5:31pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Genesia said:

The fact that Ellen outed Mariah Carey's pregnancy (against Carey's wishes) and that Carey later lost the baby reveals Ellen's despicable nature.

I'm not a fan of Dakota Johnson, but good on her for calling Ellen out as the lying sack of shit she really is.


Agree on both counts. She also tried to get Mariah to drink alcohol, which Mariah really had to skate around, risking said pregnancy.

I'm not a huge fan of Johnson either. I'm sure she's a lovely person, but her acting is flatter than old soda. I loved when she called out Ellen for lying about the birthday party thing.

Ellen always thinks she's just being super funny, and going above and beyond for a joke. But sometimes, shit just ain't funny or up for fodder.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/17/21 7:49pm

kewlschool

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

EmmaMcG said:

I find her insufferable to watch. She always comes across as so fake. She's basically the female Jimmy Fallon only less annoying. I won't miss her show.


I wrote an article once about everything being so goddamn funny to Fallon. He's one of the phoniest people on television. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it.

Fallon is beyond fake. Everything and everyone is amazing to Fallon. (side eye). I also believe Fallon is a raging alcoholic.

I did enjoy Ellen's show in the beginning, I stop watching about 10 years ago. Ellen is now more game show and pranks with give aways (feel good stories). Ellen is rarely a talk show.

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/17/21 11:19pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

kewlschool said:

TrivialPursuit said:


I wrote an article once about everything being so goddamn funny to Fallon. He's one of the phoniest people on television. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it.

Fallon is beyond fake. Everything and everyone is amazing to Fallon. (side eye). I also believe Fallon is a raging alcoholic.

I did enjoy Ellen's show in the beginning, I stop watching about 10 years ago. Ellen is now more game show and pranks with give aways (feel good stories). Ellen is rarely a talk show.


Just saw this on Twitter: The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon has been renewed for five years — a longer term commitment from NBC to the host than the network had previously disclosed. bit.ly/3opLkuN

Back to Ellen, I'm sorta dreading the annual onslaught of talk show wannabes making their debut. But therre are some familiar names coming back around for something new. Judy Justice starring Judge Judy, The Problem with Jon Stewart, and a new variety show with Conan O'Brien.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Ellen is over