independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > HELP! I Need To Find Someone
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/03/20 12:44pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

HELP! I Need To Find Someone

Chatting to my husband a few days ago and I was kind of making fun of him (in a friendly way of course) for being a bit of a Billy No Mates. After we got together he stopped hanging out with his old friends because well, I told him to. Long story. These days he only really talks to my ex. But the other day he mentioned a friend of his from school who he really got on well with and unlike his other old friends, is neither involved in "unsavoury activities", in prison or dead. But the problem is, he moved to Australia about 15 years ago.

So I was wondering if anyone here has any experience in tracking down old friends and if you could maybe give me some advice about how to go about it. I've checked Twitter and I think I found him on it but his last tweet was in 2018 and he only seems to use it once every couple of years. I even created a Twitter account and tried to message him but was unable to do it. I'm not a Twitter user so I don't know if it's just me not knowing how to use it or if you just can't send private messages to people you're not following or whatever.

Anyway, if the Twitter thing doesn't pan out, is there any other way of reaching out to this guy? I'd really appreciate any help or advice in this.

Thanks
Em X
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/03/20 2:10pm

TheFman

If he had Twitter, chances are big he had FB as well. Search search search and search creative. I found a lot of people back but sometimes it was really hard.
Also use different search engines. I once found someone though Bing while there were no entries on Google.
The poor guy only talks with your ex? lol

My wife makes just the same joke 'Billy No Mates'. My friends were 80% female and most of the time an ex as well biggrin So yeah I dont see many people anymore.

[Edited 6/3/20 14:13pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/03/20 3:58pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

TheFman said:

If he had Twitter, chances are big he had FB as well. Search search search and search creative. I found a lot of people back but sometimes it was really hard.
Also use different search engines. I once found someone though Bing while there were no entries on Google.
The poor guy only talks with your ex? lol



My wife makes just the same joke 'Billy No Mates'. My friends were 80% female and most of the time an ex as well biggrin So yeah I dont see many people anymore.

[Edited 6/3/20 14:13pm]




Thanks for the advice. I've tried the Facebook route too but couldn't find anything. I'll try other search engines though because I didn't think of that. It's probably a long shot though. If he's anything like my husband then he's got little to no interest in social media. His Twitter account is barely used.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/04/20 12:49pm

kpowers

avatar

Justice League crime computer | SuperFriends Wiki | Fandom

I'm looking

Wonder Woman - June 2, 2017 - Page 52

Also got Wonder woman looking as well

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/07/20 7:17am

AsylumUtopia

It might be a long shot but you could also try asking for help on an Australian chat board, I'm thinking the Australian equivalent of boards.ie (which I have found invaluable for all sorts of things over the years) if such a thing exists. It looks like downundr.com might be one such site, but there may be others. Of course, you'd probably need to give details such as his name and whereabouts to get anywhere, which you might not want to do.

In a similar vein you could also try Australian chat rooms (as opposed to chat boards, which are more like this place with forums and topics), or something like reddit?

Also, as far as search engines go, try dogpile.com as well - it searches the other search engines and often returns results from search engines that you wouldn't normally use yourself.

Lemmy, Bowie, Prince, Leonard. RIP.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/07/20 12:24pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

AsylumUtopia said:

It might be a long shot but you could also try asking for help on an Australian chat board, I'm thinking the Australian equivalent of boards.ie (which I have found invaluable for all sorts of things over the years) if such a thing exists. It looks like downundr.com might be one such site, but there may be others. Of course, you'd probably need to give details such as his name and whereabouts to get anywhere, which you might not want to do.

In a similar vein you could also try Australian chat rooms (as opposed to chat boards, which are more like this place with forums and topics), or something like reddit?

Also, as far as search engines go, try dogpile.com as well - it searches the other search engines and often returns results from search engines that you wouldn't normally use yourself.



Thanks for this. I'll try that. As far as I can make out from his few tweets, he seems to have moved back to Ireland at some point. No idea if he's still here but one of his more recent tweets mentions him being in Ireland. That was a couple of years ago though so who knows.

It's all a long shot so any help I get is greatly appreciated so thanks again for your advice.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/08/20 2:11pm

KoolEaze

avatar

Maybe he uses a pseudonym on Facebook. Try to find some of his friends that you know of and check their friends list to see if you can find him there. Also try to look him up in the telephone directory....sometimes you find someone in the most obvious place to look for. Or try to find some of his relatives on Facebook and ask them. I´m pretty good at finding people and have so far always found the people I´ve searched for.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/08/20 3:01pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

KoolEaze said:

Maybe he uses a pseudonym on Facebook. Try to find some of his friends that you know of and check their friends list to see if you can find him there. Also try to look him up in the telephone directory....sometimes you find someone in the most obvious place to look for. Or try to find some of his relatives on Facebook and ask them. I´m pretty good at finding people and have so far always found the people I´ve searched for.



Nice. Some good advice.

The most frustrating thing about it is that I actually found him on Twitter but his account seems somewhat dormant. Plus, I have little to no experience with any form of social media so I don't even know if I can send him a private message or how to do it if that option was available. I "followed" him on it though. I've never met this guy before so he might assume I'm some sort of stalker 😂.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/09/20 10:46am

KoolEaze

avatar

I think I´ve found him.

Not sure if it´s ok to post a picture here but just drop me a line and I´ll post it and delete it immediately.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/09/20 1:21pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

KoolEaze said:

I think I´ve found him.


Not sure if it´s ok to post a picture here but just drop me a line and I´ll post it and delete it immediately.




You are an absolute star for doing this. I will not forget it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/09/20 3:34pm

alphastreet

That’s great you found the person!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > HELP! I Need To Find Someone