independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 17th Nov 2019 10:00am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Autumn Book Reading Thread
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/24/19 4:52pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Autumn Book Reading Thread

So I've just completed my 18th book this year. I set a goal of 15 on the Goodread 2019 Reading Challenge. I never thought I'd hit it, because I always thought I was a slow reader. Eventually, I started alternating between a fiction and non-fiction. Here's what I've read this year, and what I'm reading now. And a couple I'll try to complete before year's end.

Read:
Roxane Gay - Hunger

Bernice McFadden - Praise Song for the Butterflies (based on fetish cults in Ghana)

Akwaeke Emezi - Freshwater (one of the most unique books I've ever read)

Bernice McFadden - The Book of Harlan (novel partly about blacks during WWII)

Toure - I Would Die 4 U

Garrard Conley - Boy Erased

Heather Morris - The Tattooist of Auschwitz (should be considered historical fiction)

James Baldwin - Go Tell It On The Mountain

Ramin Setooder - The Ladies Who Punch

Ingrid Rojas Contreras - Fruit of the Drunken Tree

Tina Turner - My Love Story

Delia Owens - Where the Crawdads Sing (it's popular for a reason)

Roxane Gay - An Untamed State

Margaret Atwood - The Handmaid's Tale

Stephen King - The Shining (just never read it before)

Ijeoma Oluo - So You Want To Talk About Race (required for any white person)

Stephen King - Doctor Sleep (sequel to The Shining, and in prep for the November movie)

Stephen King - On Writing - A Memoir of the Craft

Stephen King - The Breathing Method (novella in Different Seasons)


Currently reading:
Margaret Atwood - The Testaments

Crystal Marie Fleming - How To Be Less Stupid About Race


On my short list:
Robin DiAngelo - White Fragility

Edward Snowden - Permanent Record

Stephen King - The Stand (due to be a CBS All-Access mini-series in 2020)

Stephen King - The Institute

What are you reading for the autumn?


[Edited 9/25/19 12:42pm]

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/24/19 5:14pm

PennyPurple

avatar

I will be reading:

The Beautiful Ones

On Time: A Princely Life in Funk


I am thinking about reading:

Me: Elton John by Elton John

Inside Out by Demi Moore

Look Alive Twenty Five A Stephanie Plum Novel-Janet Evanovich (I've read the 1st 24, might as well read this one)


I love to read especially on a rainy or snowy night.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/24/19 5:23pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

PennyPurple said:

I am thinking about reading:

Me: Elton John by Elton John

Inside Out by Demi Moore

Look Alive Twenty Five A Stephanie Plum Novel-Janet Evanovich (I've read the 1st 24, might as well read this one)


I've been watching her interviews on GMA, and I'm definitely intriguied by the book.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/24/19 5:24pm

PennyPurple

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

PennyPurple said:

I am thinking about reading:

Me: Elton John by Elton John

Inside Out by Demi Moore

Look Alive Twenty Five A Stephanie Plum Novel-Janet Evanovich (I've read the 1st 24, might as well read this one)


I've been watching her interviews on GMA, and I'm definitely intriguied by the book.

Yeah, it sounds really interesting.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/25/19 2:39am

EmmaMcG

avatar

I'm just starting my 13th book of the year, The Commitments by Roddy Doyle. I've read it numerous times before but it's been a while. Fantastic Irish book that I would thoroughly recommend to anyone although I suspect that many, particularly Americans, may be offended by some of the language used. Nevertheless, its a great story with some of the most authentic Dublin dialogue you'll ever read.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/25/19 10:49am

domainator2010

I ordered myself a lot of books for the festive season, this just came today:

https://www.amazon.in/Str...amp;sr=1-1

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/25/19 10:50am

domainator2010

EmmaMcG said:

I'm just starting my 13th book of the year, The Commitments by Roddy Doyle. I've read it numerous times before but it's been a while. Fantastic Irish book that I would thoroughly recommend to anyone although I suspect that many, particularly Americans, may be offended by some of the language used. Nevertheless, its a great story with some of the most authentic Dublin dialogue you'll ever read.

Hey, I'd read a book called "Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha' aaaaages ago - don't remember much of it though - have you heard of it?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/25/19 12:54pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

domainator2010 said:



EmmaMcG said:


I'm just starting my 13th book of the year, The Commitments by Roddy Doyle. I've read it numerous times before but it's been a while. Fantastic Irish book that I would thoroughly recommend to anyone although I suspect that many, particularly Americans, may be offended by some of the language used. Nevertheless, its a great story with some of the most authentic Dublin dialogue you'll ever read.


Hey, I'd read a book called "Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha' aaaaages ago - don't remember much of it though - have you heard of it?



Yeah, I read that when I was about 12 or 13? Pretty good. If you liked that I'd recommend The Barrytown Trilogy, which is The Commitments, The Snapper and The Van. Or, if you prefer, you could watch the movies instead seeing as they've all been adapted for the big screen. They are easily the 3 best Irish movies ever made.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/26/19 11:16am

domainator2010

EmmaMcG said:

domainator2010 said:

Hey, I'd read a book called "Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha' aaaaages ago - don't remember much of it though - have you heard of it?

Yeah, I read that when I was about 12 or 13? Pretty good. If you liked that I'd recommend The Barrytown Trilogy, which is The Commitments, The Snapper and The Van. Or, if you prefer, you could watch the movies instead seeing as they've all been adapted for the big screen. They are easily the 3 best Irish movies ever made.

OK, I Googled it - it appears to be a musical movie - about a band? I think I should SEE that, not READ it, don't you? smile
Is The Van about a guy who starts a food truck?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/26/19 2:36pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

domainator2010 said:



EmmaMcG said:


domainator2010 said:



Hey, I'd read a book called "Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha' aaaaages ago - don't remember much of it though - have you heard of it?



Yeah, I read that when I was about 12 or 13? Pretty good. If you liked that I'd recommend The Barrytown Trilogy, which is The Commitments, The Snapper and The Van. Or, if you prefer, you could watch the movies instead seeing as they've all been adapted for the big screen. They are easily the 3 best Irish movies ever made.


OK, I Googled it - it appears to be a musical movie - about a band? I think I should SEE that, not READ it, don't you? smile
Is The Van about a guy who starts a food truck?



Yeah, maybe it would be better to see the movie.

Yup, that's The Van. It was the third in the trilogy. The Snapper (my favourite) was the second one.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/26/19 9:07pm

onlyforaminute

I have Startalk with NdGT
Still, The Universe Today...The Cosmos...D.Dickinson w/F.Cain
Aesop's Fables
Headstrong 52 Women Who changed science and the world R.Swaby
Year of Return 2019
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/26/19 9:24pm

onlyforaminute

onlyforaminute said:

I have Startalk with NdGT
Still, The Universe Today...The Cosmos...D.Dickinson w/F.Cain
Aesop's Fables
Headstrong 52 Women Who changed science and the world R.Swaby

I got some pure light pleasure round here but I ve lagged on these and must catch up.
Year of Return 2019
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/28/19 8:14am

Empress

I've read about 25 books so far this year and next on my list is:

Margaret Atwood - The Testaments
Stephen King - The Institute

I average 35-40 books a year, so many more to come before 2019 is over.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/30/19 9:01am

RodeoSchro

avatar

I've read the complete works of Mick Herron, and am re-reading them. They're the kind of spy novels that are best read in order, and enjoyed more the second time through. I swear, there is not a single wasted word in any of them!

The main character is a guy named Jackson Lamb and I do mean "character"! I'm hoping Herron will write a prequel or two, set back in the days when Lamb was in joe country and working against the Commies.

On October 29 the next Jack Reacher novel, "Blue Moon" will be released. Here's the synopsis from Lee Child's site:


This is a random universe," Reacher says. "Once in a blue moon things turn out just right." This isn't one of those times.

The story opens with our big guy sitting in the back of a bus, watching a man planning to mug an elderly man holding a big envelope of cash. Reacher follows as they exit the bus and foils the mugging. The old man is hurt, so Reacher offers to help get him home. But first, the man needs to pay off his loan shark. You will really enjoy what Reacher does next.

thumbs up!


.

[Edited 9/30/19 9:01am]

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/02/19 6:23pm

onlyforaminute

I just got done with "Unfu*k Yourself: Get out of your head and into your life." It was completely entertaining and a healthy kick in the pants.
Year of Return 2019
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/02/19 10:29pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Empress said:

I've read about 25 books so far this year and next on my list is: Margaret Atwood - The Testaments Stephen King - The Institute I average 35-40 books a year, so many more to come before 2019 is over.


That's really fast, about twice my rate right now. I read in shorter spurts at bed, rather than hours on a weekend or whatever. (I wish I was a faster reader, but I like to soak it in, enjoy the sentence or the paragraph.)

I'm enjoying The Testaments right now. I'm at the part where Vidalia (sp) is telling on Elizabeth to Lydia.

I may save The Institute for 2020. Not sure. Once I'm done with these two (the other being How To Be Less Stupid About Race by Dr. Crystal Marie Hall), I may dig into The Goldfinch and White Fragility to round out the year.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/03/19 9:32am

Empress

TrivialPursuit said:

Empress said:

I've read about 25 books so far this year and next on my list is: Margaret Atwood - The Testaments Stephen King - The Institute I average 35-40 books a year, so many more to come before 2019 is over.


That's really fast, about twice my rate right now. I read in shorter spurts at bed, rather than hours on a weekend or whatever. (I wish I was a faster reader, but I like to soak it in, enjoy the sentence or the paragraph.)

I'm enjoying The Testaments right now. I'm at the part where Vidalia (sp) is telling on Elizabeth to Lydia.

I may save The Institute for 2020. Not sure. Once I'm done with these two (the other being How To Be Less Stupid About Race by Dr. Crystal Marie Hall), I may dig into The Goldfinch and White Fragility to round out the year.

I read to and from work which is an hour each way, so I get close to 2 hours of reading in each day. I don't read fast and I like to soak it in too. I don't often read on weekends or evenings, but I do get a lot read during my commute to work. I just started the Testaments, only about 50 pages in. So far, so good. Very creepy in many ways. I will read The Institute next as I can hardly wait to read new SK. I hope you read the Goldfinch. It's a very long book with a lot going on, but it was terrific and one of my favs. I really enjoyed her other 2 books as well. Both very different from each other, but very good. Let me know if you ever get around to reading the Goldfinch.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/03/19 9:45am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Empress said:

I read to and from work which is an hour each way, so I get close to 2 hours of reading in each day. I don't read fast and I like to soak it in too. I don't often read on weekends or evenings, but I do get a lot read during my commute to work. I just started The Testaments, only about 50 pages in. So far, so good. Very creepy in many ways. I will read The Institute next as I can hardly wait to read new SK. I hope you read The Goldfinch. It's a very long book with a lot going on, but it was terrific and one of my favs. I really enjoyed her other 2 books as well. Both very different from each other, but very good. Let me know if you ever get around to reading The Goldfinch.


I hope I didn't give too much of a spoiler, which - so far - I don't think I have. Things really do pick up in The Testaments as it goes on. I'm about 130 pages in (on my Nook which shows 378 pages).

Your commute def gives you great time to read. That's awesome.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 10/04/19 10:03am

domainator2010

Hey - anybody tried Salman Rushdie's "Quichotte"? How is it?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 10/04/19 3:37pm

PeggyO

I am very interested in biographies and am currently reading Miles Davis's autobiography with collaborator Quincy Troupe. Another great biography is Joni Mitchell, "Reckless Daughter", Yaffe.

Other books this year have included biographies of Edgar Cayce, Jerry Garcia, JFK, Lyndon Johnson Prince (DMSR) and Thelonius Monk.

Some non-biographies:Your Brain On Music, books on Attachment Theory, handwriting analysis etc.

I read 30-40 per year, on average...fairly eclectic and non-fiction.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 10/04/19 3:56pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

PeggyO said:

I am very interested in biographies and am currently reading Miles Davis's autobiography with collaborator Quincy Troupe. Another great biography is Joni Mitchell, "Reckless Daughter", Yaffe.

Other books this year have included biographies of Edgar Cayce, Jerry Garcia, JFK, Lyndon Johnson Prince (DMSR) and Thelonius Monk.

Some non-biographies:Your Brain On Music, books on Attachment Theory, handwriting analysis etc.

I read 30-40 per year, on average...fairly eclectic and non-fiction.


I love biographies, too. Patti LaBelle's Don't Block the Blessings, B.B. King's Blues All Around Me, and C. David Heymann's Liz are old favorites. Andrew Morton's book on Madonna, Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs, and The Dirt by Motley Crue were ones I enjoyed, too.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 11/03/19 11:01am

onlyforaminute

Currently reading the Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jemisin. The first book captivated me, now into the second book and I'm anxious, a very good sign.
Year of Return 2019
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 11/03/19 8:54pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

So, update on my stuff:

Currently reading:

Robin Diangelo - White Fragility

Stephen King - Night Shift

Recently finished:

Margaret Atwood - The Testaments

Crystal Marie Fleming - How To Be Less Stupid About Race


On my short list:

Prince - The Beautiful Ones

Ronan Farrow - Catch and Kill

Morris Day - On Time

Donna Tartt - The Goldfinch

Edward Snowden - Permanent Record

Stephen King - The Institute

[Edited 11/7/19 11:36am]

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 11/07/19 9:54am

Empress

I just finished reading The Dutch House - Ann Patchett. She is a terrific writer and her latest did not disappoint. It explores two siblings and the huge house they grew up in and what happens to their lives when their mother leaves and their father remarries a younger woman. Very well done!

I'll likely read Me:Elton next.

[Edited 11/7/19 9:55am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 11/12/19 8:14am

RodeoSchro

avatar

I finished the Jack Reacher novel "Blue Moon" a couple days ago.

Wow.

It's pretty much a non-stop Reacher killing spree. Whatever his kill count was coming into this novel, it's got to be at least twice as high now.

Lee Child wastes absolutely no time whatsoever with analysis, character development, or anything else that isn't directly related to Jack Reacher killing as many mobsters as the pages will allow.

If you like action, this is the novel for you.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 11/13/19 7:02am

Empress

RodeoSchro said:

I finished the Jack Reacher novel "Blue Moon" a couple days ago.

Wow.

It's pretty much a non-stop Reacher killing spree. Whatever his kill count was coming into this novel, it's got to be at least twice as high now.

Lee Child wastes absolutely no time whatsoever with analysis, character development, or anything else that isn't directly related to Jack Reacher killing as many mobsters as the pages will allow.

If you like action, this is the novel for you.



Thanks Rodeo. I may pick up this one for my dad for Christmas.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Autumn Book Reading Thread