|MY PRINCE FANDOM|
1989- 1994 :
- starts with Purple Rain in 1989, first time I saw it (was only about 9 years old then, I remember thinking how risqué it was that my parents let me watch this - surely they weren't paying attention). I didn't know any english back then, but I could sing along to every song. (Even darling Nikki - guess my parents let that one slide seeing as I didn't understand the words anyway).
- right on the back of that Diamond & Pearls came out, big hits, all over MTV, I was really into it
- Symbol album -> still my all time favourite P album.
Then I moved into my grunge-rocker phase and forgot about prince. Emancipation did not interest me (I still have no love for that album). Even TMBGITW didn't score points with me.
Flashforward to 1998 - Jam of the year tour - when I'm in a club with my girlfriends, and there's a buzz going through the audience, and we hear that Prince played a show in town that night and has come to the VIP area of the club.
- Fast forward to a friend giving me 'The Best of Prince' in 2001, and me suddenly discovering how GREAT he was and really now getting into him. That's when I started to visit websites, looking for info about him, the usenet groups, the housequake forum, the org.
- After that, the rainbow children (verdict: GREAT! Loved it, even with the preaching and so on), Musicology (one of the best!), and I've been hooked ever since.
- Was lucky to see him live, quite a number of times, in big venues and also a few aftershows!
I have visited him and his music over the years, and they have become the background music to my life really.
I remember playing 'Let's go crazy' extremely loud in my car to calm my nerves as I was singing along to it, on my way to exams at university.
I remember playing slowdancing with a boy to 'Purple Rain' at 16.
Listening to musicology on my way to work, on the bus, on my discman.
So many memories. He wrote the soundtrack to my life. He's written songs, that I've never even heard, that will be released in the future, that will be part of the soundtrack of my life.