independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 9th Dec 2018 12:18pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Maxwell - blacksummer'sNIGHT
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/05/18 7:27pm

TrivialPursuit

Maxwell - blacksummer'sNIGHT

Maxwell posted something on his FB with the tag #NIGHTScoming with the following message:

it’s here....the new single SHAME. Listen to the start of the conclusion. http://smarturl.it/maxwellshame #BLACKSUMMERSNIGHT #NIGHTiscoming


So finally, after how many years, we'll get the full trilogy. The song, "Shame" is on all streaming outlets.


43137872_10155533094760997_4088632900981882880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&oh=8fba8c3ad19e569ab17a1690db1c49e8&oe=5C554B5E

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/05/18 10:13pm

Ethos

👁️‍🗨️ Take a sad song and make it better.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/06/18 4:41am

IstenSzek

avatar

that's actually pretty fast, considering the wait between BLACK and SUMMERS was, what 8 years?

so roughly 2,5 years isn't too bad at all lol

i liked SUMMERS a lot, although my favorite track from the trilogy is still 'pretty wings' the very
first single smile


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/06/18 7:13am

Nick715

Happy he's not making us wait as long, and I like "Shame".

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/06/18 8:48am

TrivialPursuit

IstenSzek said:

that's actually pretty fast, considering the wait between BLACK and SUMMERS was, what 8 years?

so roughly 2,5 years isn't too bad at all lol

i liked SUMMERS a lot, although my favorite track from the trilogy is still 'pretty wings' the very
first single smile


I'm not overly thrilled with the whole trilogy. Some stuff is good, but he's taken a weird right turn in his music and I don't get it as it relates to what I have come to expect from him. I don't hate it, I'm just trying to figure it out.

His voice sounds weird on this track, like his throat is tightened up a bit.

But you are right about the time span. I don't know what his deal with so much time between albums. I really thought that after Now he was just going to disappear. I had little hope of him returning to music, but would have been happy with his trilogy of albums to that point (plus Unplugged).

Eight years between Now and BLACK, seven (almost to the day) until SUMMER'S.

It's still hard to believe that Urban Hang Suite was shelved for almost a year by Columbia because radio was so hip-hop heavy, they feared it wouldn't click with anyone. Yet ultimately he, Eryka and D'Angelo carved the neo-soul landscape first hand. I still don't think that album is as appreciated and analyzed as it should be when it comes to neo-soul or the influences so deeply embedded on that album.

I have hopes for NIGHT, as I do with all Maxwell albums. He's only five years younger than me, so I feel (like many do I'm sure) that we've all sort of grown up and with Maxwell over the past couple of decades.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/06/18 4:01pm

IstenSzek

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

IstenSzek said:

that's actually pretty fast, considering the wait between BLACK and SUMMERS was, what 8 years?

so roughly 2,5 years isn't too bad at all lol

i liked SUMMERS a lot, although my favorite track from the trilogy is still 'pretty wings' the very
first single smile


I'm not overly thrilled with the whole trilogy. Some stuff is good, but he's taken a weird right turn in his music and I don't get it as it relates to what I have come to expect from him. I don't hate it, I'm just trying to figure it out.

His voice sounds weird on this track, like his throat is tightened up a bit.

But you are right about the time span. I don't know what his deal with so much time between albums. I really thought that after Now he was just going to disappear. I had little hope of him returning to music, but would have been happy with his trilogy of albums to that point (plus Unplugged).

Eight years between Now and BLACK, seven (almost to the day) until SUMMER'S.

It's still hard to believe that Urban Hang Suite was shelved for almost a year by Columbia because radio was so hip-hop heavy, they feared it wouldn't click with anyone. Yet ultimately he, Eryka and D'Angelo carved the neo-soul landscape first hand. I still don't think that album is as appreciated and analyzed as it should be when it comes to neo-soul or the influences so deeply embedded on that album.

I have hopes for NIGHT, as I do with all Maxwell albums. He's only five years younger than me, so I feel (like many do I'm sure) that we've all sort of grown up and with Maxwell over the past couple of decades.



back when they all first launched onto the scene it was just crazy how much promise
they held. maxwell was actually the first one to release the sophomore album wasn't
he?

they've all continued to make good music but i haven't been able to follow them all
the way either. that's not a bad thing though. i just wish there would be years where
all three of them released a new album and it would be as fucking amazing again as
when they all had their debut albums out and we couldn't stop playing them for over
a year and just lived and breathed them.

it's insane that urban hang suite was shelved for almost a year eek didn't know that!

but as amazing as Urban Hang Suite and Embrya were, his later albums don't have
that cohesive 'album' feel to them anymore. they just feel like a bunch of good songs,
and somehow a bit less than the sum of their parts. where the first two were so good
it was insane and they were the sum of their parts plus twelve, somehow.


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/06/18 5:03pm

TrivialPursuit

IstenSzek said:

Yet ultimately he, Eryka and D'Angelo carved the neo-soul landscape first hand. .


Maxwell was actually the first one to release the sophomore album wasn't
he?

but as amazing as Urban Hang Suite and Embrya were, his later albums don't have
that cohesive 'album' feel to them anymore. they just feel like a bunch of good songs,
and somehow a bit less than the sum of their parts. where the first two were so good
it was insane and they were the sum of their parts plus twelve, somehow.


Maxwell - Embrya (side-stepping Unplugged since it was existing material) June 23, 1998

D'Angelo - Voodoo January 25, 2000

Erykah - Mama's Gun November 21, 2000
Maxwell - Now August 14, 2001


I agree that UHS and Embyra had a certain continuity to them. There was a texture, a story to tell (especially on UHS). The songs related but were distinctly their own. Now seemed, like you said, just a collection of relatively good songs.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/07/18 7:25am

Nick715

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/07/18 7:07pm

daingermouz202
0

I'm just glad he is releasing it. To be honest I didn't think it would happen. Out of all his albums I found the last one Summers to be his least appealing. Maybe I should give it another listen.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/07/18 7:30pm

TrivialPursuit

daingermouz2020 said:

I'm just glad he is releasing it. To be honest I didn't think it would happen. Out of all his albums I found the last one Summers to be his least appealing. Maybe I should give it another listen.



I'd agree. The trilogy does lack something that any previous album had, which we've discussed to some extent. I guess I am not sure what he is trying to accomplish with BSN.

I sort of had to check out of hoping for anything from Maxwell in a typical fashion because he has no typical fashion. There is a time to want to new music, then there's a time to just give up on the hoping and waiting. So anything that comes, cool. Otherwise, I still have the first three plus Unplugged to enjoy.

PS as far as rating his albums, I literally like them in the order they came out, including Unplugged.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/08/18 12:21pm

namepeace

TrivialPursuit said:

daingermouz2020 said:

I'm just glad he is releasing it. To be honest I didn't think it would happen. Out of all his albums I found the last one Summers to be his least appealing. Maybe I should give it another listen.



I'd agree. The trilogy does lack something that any previous album had, which we've discussed to some extent. I guess I am not sure what he is trying to accomplish with BSN.

I sort of had to check out of hoping for anything from Maxwell in a typical fashion because he has no typical fashion. There is a time to want to new music, then there's a time to just give up on the hoping and waiting. So anything that comes, cool. Otherwise, I still have the first three plus Unplugged to enjoy.

PS as far as rating his albums, I literally like them in the order they came out, including Unplugged.


I'm one of the few who liked SUMMERS more than BLACK. I just felt like he was stepping outside of his comfort zone. "III" and "1990x" are two of my favorite Maxwell tracks ever.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/08/18 4:32pm

Nick715

Maxwell is the top add at adult R&B.

hitsdailydouble.com/mediabase_adds

#1 Urban AC

MAXWELL
Shame
Columbia

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/08/18 6:54pm

TrivialPursuit

namepeace said:


I'm one of the few who liked SUMMERS more than BLACK. I just felt like he was stepping outside of his comfort zone. "III" and "1990x" are two of my favorite Maxwell tracks ever.


To be fair, I've only listened to SUMMERS once. It didn't click with me. However, I do feel obligated to listen to it again to give it a fair shot.

I also felt there wasn't any cohesiveness between those two records, even down to the artwork. It all felt haphazard by the time SUMMER'S came out.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/08/18 10:43pm

whitechocolate
brotha

avatar

"Urban Hang Suite," "Embrya" and "Now" are masterpieces; even "Unplugged" was pretty tuff, but perhaps he should have released the triology all at once a la Prince's "Emancipation." A complete set. Not only does the misplaced apostrophe in the title make me wince (I've talked about it before) and because of it, it throws off the entire project (Black Summers' Night.) It should have been called "Black Summer's Night" or "Black Summers' Nights." It's grammatically correct either way. I'll also agree with another thread member in saying that his music has taken a weird R turn. Gone are the grooves and the deep, silky soul of the first three albums; a strange newer element has washed in for the last three. I don't quite understand whether or not it's creative on his part or mandated on the part of CBS. The singles...meh. "Pretty Wings" really IS pretty, but that's about it. "Lake By The Ocean?" Another pretty song, but it left me puzzled. I'm not sure there can BE such a thing (Lake Michigan, Lake Erie, Lake Superior?) Lakes aren't usually found by oceans. And lakes are usually FRESH water and not SALT water, so again, I question the legitimacy there unless there's a metaphor I'm missing. Is he being poetic? Not sure. Sales for "Summers' " were incredibly low. The long delays between releases and subpar music didn't help him either thus making it hard to take as a single, cohesive set. The one thing Maxwell NEVER NEEDED was a comeback. The way the last two releases took 8 yrs between them forced one on him. Very sad 4 a dude who was always at the top of his game. It IS unusual however for someone other than Sade 2 take so long between releases, have actual hits and win Grammy awards. When Sade comes out, she comes OUT. She doesn't come BACK. This isn't true in Maxwell's case. Maybe the first installment should have simply been called "Black Summer Night;" the other two, something else and the entire idea of a trilogy scrapped? Again, not sure. I'm not the artist; I'm merely wondering about and suggesting that things might have been done differently on his behalf. Hopefully, "Night" will bring about a much needed refresher for fans as well as the artist himself. Fingers crossed. Peace out. <3

Hungry? Just look in the mirror and get fed up.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/09/18 11:22am

IstenSzek

avatar

namepeace said:

TrivialPursuit said:



I'd agree. The trilogy does lack something that any previous album had, which we've discussed to some extent. I guess I am not sure what he is trying to accomplish with BSN.

I sort of had to check out of hoping for anything from Maxwell in a typical fashion because he has no typical fashion. There is a time to want to new music, then there's a time to just give up on the hoping and waiting. So anything that comes, cool. Otherwise, I still have the first three plus Unplugged to enjoy.

PS as far as rating his albums, I literally like them in the order they came out, including Unplugged.


I'm one of the few who liked SUMMERS more than BLACK. I just felt like he was stepping outside of his comfort zone. "III" and "1990x" are two of my favorite Maxwell tracks ever.


agreed, there are some very nice songs on this album and "1990x" is really great.
i must have had that on a loop for days and days when it first came out music


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/11/18 8:41am

KoolEaze

avatar

I totally agree with you on every point, especially on the bolded parts.

And it´s not just you....the misplaced apostrophe is still getting on my nerves.

I like Maxwell and support him but honestly, I am glad when this whole trilogy idea is finally over and he comes up with something brandnew. Hopefully NIGHT will be a refreshing return to form but I actually need a brandnew, fresh, completely new album just to forget this whole trilogy affair.

It wasn´t a good idea to begin with, and it ´s never a good idea to announce a trilogy when you only have a very vague concept of the planned (or unplanned?) trilogy.

TrivialPursuit created a thread dedicated to the re-release of Embrya on vinyl, and we both agreed that Urban Hang Suite and Embrya are very cohesive, timeless masterpieces.

I don´t feel the same way about Now, but it´s still a decent album.

I like 1990x and a couple of other songs but that´s it....I don´t like the whole albums the way I like UHS and Embrya.

http://prince.org/msg/8/456191

whitechocolatebrotha said:

"Urban Hang Suite," "Embrya" and "Now" are masterpieces; even "Unplugged" was pretty tuff, but perhaps he should have released the triology all at once a la Prince's "Emancipation." A complete set. Not only does the misplaced apostrophe in the title make me wince (I've talked about it before) and because of it, it throws off the entire project (Black Summers' Night.) It should have been called "Black Summer's Night" or "Black Summers' Nights." It's grammatically correct either way. I'll also agree with another thread member in saying that his music has taken a weird R turn. Gone are the grooves and the deep, silky soul of the first three albums; a strange newer element has washed in for the last three. I don't quite understand whether or not it's creative on his part or mandated on the part of CBS. The singles...meh. "Pretty Wings" really IS pretty, but that's about it. "Lake By The Ocean?" Another pretty song, but it left me puzzled. I'm not sure there can BE such a thing (Lake Michigan, Lake Erie, Lake Superior?) Lakes aren't usually found by oceans. And lakes are usually FRESH water and not SALT water, so again, I question the legitimacy there unless there's a metaphor I'm missing. Is he being poetic? Not sure. Sales for "Summers' " were incredibly low. The long delays between releases and subpar music didn't help him either thus making it hard to take as a single, cohesive set. The one thing Maxwell NEVER NEEDED was a comeback. The way the last two releases took 8 yrs between them forced one on him. Very sad 4 a dude who was always at the top of his game. It IS unusual however for someone other than Sade 2 take so long between releases, have actual hits and win Grammy awards. When Sade comes out, she comes OUT. She doesn't come BACK. This isn't true in Maxwell's case. Maybe the first installment should have simply been called "Black Summer Night;" the other two, something else and the entire idea of a trilogy scrapped? Again, not sure. I'm not the artist; I'm merely wondering about and suggesting that things might have been done differently on his behalf. Hopefully, "Night" will bring about a much needed refresher for fans as well as the artist himself. Fingers crossed. Peace out. <3

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/11/18 8:42am

KoolEaze

avatar

IstenSzek said:

namepeace said:


I'm one of the few who liked SUMMERS more than BLACK. I just felt like he was stepping outside of his comfort zone. "III" and "1990x" are two of my favorite Maxwell tracks ever.


agreed, there are some very nice songs on this album and "1990x" is really great.
i must have had that on a loop for days and days when it first came out music


That song is one of the most addictive songs I´ve heard in a long, long time.

I love it !

The album didn´t really grab me though.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/11/18 7:30pm

whitechocolate
brotha

avatar

KoolEaze said:

I totally agree with you on every point, especially on the bolded parts.

And it´s not just you....the misplaced apostrophe is still getting on my nerves.

I like Maxwell and support him but honestly, I am glad when this whole trilogy idea is finally over and he comes up with something brandnew. Hopefully NIGHT will be a refreshing return to form but I actually need a brandnew, fresh, completely new album just to forget this whole trilogy affair.

It wasn´t a good idea to begin with, and it ´s never a good idea to announce a trilogy when you only have a very vague concept of the planned (or unplanned?) trilogy.

TrivialPursuit created a thread dedicated to the re-release of Embrya on vinyl, and we both agreed that Urban Hang Suite and Embrya are very cohesive, timeless masterpieces.

I don´t feel the same way about Now, but it´s still a decent album.

I like 1990x and a couple of other songs but that´s it....I don´t like the whole albums the way I like UHS and Embrya.

http://prince.org/msg/8/456191

whitechocolatebrotha said:

"Urban Hang Suite," "Embrya" and "Now" are masterpieces; even "Unplugged" was pretty tuff, but perhaps he should have released the triology all at once a la Prince's "Emancipation." A complete set. Not only does the misplaced apostrophe in the title make me wince (I've talked about it before) and because of it, it throws off the entire project (Black Summers' Night.) It should have been called "Black Summer's Night" or "Black Summers' Nights." It's grammatically correct either way. I'll also agree with another thread member in saying that his music has taken a weird R turn. Gone are the grooves and the deep, silky soul of the first three albums; a strange newer element has washed in for the last three. I don't quite understand whether or not it's creative on his part or mandated on the part of CBS. The singles...meh. "Pretty Wings" really IS pretty, but that's about it. "Lake By The Ocean?" Another pretty song, but it left me puzzled. I'm not sure there can BE such a thing (Lake Michigan, Lake Erie, Lake Superior?) Lakes aren't usually found by oceans. And lakes are usually FRESH water and not SALT water, so again, I question the legitimacy there unless there's a metaphor I'm missing. Is he being poetic? Not sure. Sales for "Summers' " were incredibly low. The long delays between releases and subpar music didn't help him either thus making it hard to take as a single, cohesive set. The one thing Maxwell NEVER NEEDED was a comeback. The way the last two releases took 8 yrs between them forced one on him. Very sad 4 a dude who was always at the top of his game. It IS unusual however for someone other than Sade 2 take so long between releases, have actual hits and win Grammy awards. When Sade comes out, she comes OUT. She doesn't come BACK. This isn't true in Maxwell's case. Maybe the first installment should have simply been called "Black Summer Night;" the other two, something else and the entire idea of a trilogy scrapped? Again, not sure. I'm not the artist; I'm merely wondering about and suggesting that things might have been done differently on his behalf. Hopefully, "Night" will bring about a much needed refresher for fans as well as the artist himself. Fingers crossed. Peace out. <3

Awwww...BLESS u, KoolEase! I'm glad I'm not the ONLY ONE with the apostrophe issue! And I'm with u on the POST-trilogy stuff. This is a very long, tired, jumbled project which doesn't connect nor inspire at ALL. SOME SONGS, yes; MOST, definitely NOT. Is my semicolon misplaced btw? wink LOL! Much luv! <3

Hungry? Just look in the mirror and get fed up.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 10/30/18 12:09pm

KoolEaze

avatar

whitechocolatebrotha said:

KoolEaze said:

I totally agree with you on every point, especially on the bolded parts.

And it´s not just you....the misplaced apostrophe is still getting on my nerves.

I like Maxwell and support him but honestly, I am glad when this whole trilogy idea is finally over and he comes up with something brandnew. Hopefully NIGHT will be a refreshing return to form but I actually need a brandnew, fresh, completely new album just to forget this whole trilogy affair.

It wasn´t a good idea to begin with, and it ´s never a good idea to announce a trilogy when you only have a very vague concept of the planned (or unplanned?) trilogy.

TrivialPursuit created a thread dedicated to the re-release of Embrya on vinyl, and we both agreed that Urban Hang Suite and Embrya are very cohesive, timeless masterpieces.

I don´t feel the same way about Now, but it´s still a decent album.

I like 1990x and a couple of other songs but that´s it....I don´t like the whole albums the way I like UHS and Embrya.

http://prince.org/msg/8/456191

Awwww...BLESS u, KoolEase! I'm glad I'm not the ONLY ONE with the apostrophe issue! And I'm with u on the POST-trilogy stuff. This is a very long, tired, jumbled project which doesn't connect nor inspire at ALL. SOME SONGS, yes; MOST, definitely NOT. Is my semicolon misplaced btw? wink LOL! Much luv! <3

Check out this new interview in Okayplayer....

http://prince.org/msg/8/457089

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Maxwell - blacksummer'sNIGHT