independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 12th Dec 2017 11:53am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > What current artist do you like?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/07/17 12:23pm

purple05

What current artist do you like?

I noticed it's a whole bunch of old scrooges on here...
Do you guys like any current artist AT ALL?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/07/17 12:30pm

purplepolitici
an

avatar

Kendrick.

Hundalisiliah!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/07/17 12:39pm

khill95

DVSN, Gambino, Bruno, Royal Blood, Kendrick, Thundercat, to name a few cool
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/07/17 2:20pm

TrivialPursuit

Strangely I like most of the members of One Direction's solo efforts.

Harry's "Sign O The Times" is a good song.

Louis "Back To You" is a saucy banger.

Liam's "Strip That Down - it's the way new pop should sound

Niall has already won awards for "Slow Hands" and is getting a lot of attention now.

Don't care about Zayn

I used to dislike Katy Perry, but somehow I'm really loving her Teenage Dream and Prism albums. Just fun pop music.

Bruno Mars for sure. Not a huge country fan but I like Chris Stapleton. I still like Ed Sheeran.


While he's been around a while, I'm wondering what Teddy Geiger is going to sound like in another year or two. In case no one knows, he announced a month or so ago that he's transitioning to female. I met Teddy when his first EP had just seeped out on the internet. He's a nice guy and I hope she is living his truth now. But his voice is sure to change.

Frankly, I wanna hear from The Dixie Chicks. I'm not a country guy, but with the political climate as it stands, these are girls I wanna hear from again.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/07/17 5:32pm

stpaisios

avatar

This are from this decade 2010 - present:

  • Jessy Lanza
  • Olga Bell
  • Oh Land

I'm expecting a lot from those cats in tha future... for now great releases.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/07/17 5:34pm

stpaisios

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

Liam's "Strip That Down - it's the way new pop should sound

This song is full of pop cliches... it's not a bad thing, but every song on the corner sounds like this.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/07/17 6:16pm

gandorb

I really like many contemporary artists ( I act my shoe size not my age), but I don't mention on this board because I doubt that they would get much love from Prince fans. A few examples that have put great albums this past year include:

The National

Jason Isbell

Laura Marling (an artist who is so good she reminds me a bit of Joni Mitchell)

Lorde

Sufjan Stevens

Sam Smith (new album more artistic and classic R&B than first)

St Vincent (so glad this did get some love here).

Contemporary music isn't broke, but contemporary radio is!

[Edited 12/7/17 18:41pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/07/17 6:30pm

MickyDolenz

La Santa Cecilia

The Hue

Nelly

Vintage Trouble

Chris Stapleton

Joss Stone

Oumou Sangaré

Tami Neilson

Esperanza Spalding

Rose Elinor Dougall

Big Boi

Snow Tha Product

Mrs. Black Dyamond

Tiffany Shanté

Allie Baby

K-Rino

Oceans Of Slumber

Audrey Horne

Jorja Smith

Thundermother

I like some stuff by Pitbull, Robin Thicke, Beyoncé, Eminem, Janelle Monaé, Jazmine Sullivan, & Bruno Mars

Ed Motta

State Cows

Postmodern Jukebox

Mariachi Divas

Shemekia Copeland

Mr.B The Gentleman Rhymer

Craig David

Giovanca

Gretchen Parlato

Keyshia Cole

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings

Leon Bridges

Lemon Twigs

Lizz Wright

Soil & PIMP Sessions

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/07/17 7:51pm

RJOrion

Jaden Smith

Childish Gambino/Donald Glover

Lianne LaHavas

Solange Knowles

Stokely Williams

Tuxedo/Mayer Hawthorne

Harts

Jill Scott

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/07/17 8:09pm

dancerella

Prayers
Poppy
Skepta
JME
Frisco
London O'connor
Lady Leshurr
Harry Styles
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/07/17 8:22pm

TrivialPursuit

MickyDolenz said:

Keyshia Cole


Ohhh, so you're the one.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/07/17 8:45pm

RJOrion

TrivialPursuit said:

MickyDolenz said:

Keyshia Cole


Ohhh, so you're the one.

LMAO...her loud, over-processed voice is fingernails on a chalkboard, but she is good eye candy..

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/07/17 8:47pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

purple05 said:

I noticed it's a whole bunch of old scrooges on here... Do you guys like any current artist AT ALL?

Define what you mean by current because half of the responses are artists who have

been around at least 15 years.

[Edited 12/7/17 20:47pm]

You ain't nothin but a jaybird with draws on
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/07/17 10:22pm

purple05

RJOrion said:



TrivialPursuit said:




MickyDolenz said:



Keyshia Cole




Ohhh, so you're the one.





LMAO...her loud, over-processed voice is fingernails on a chalkboard, but she is good eye candy..


Yea she's pretty. Her first two albums were great. Even the third album was pretty good
[Edited 12/7/17 22:24pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/07/17 10:23pm

purple05

phunkdaddy said:



purple05 said:


I noticed it's a whole bunch of old scrooges on here... Do you guys like any current artist AT ALL?


Define what you mean by current because half of the responses are artists who have


been around at least 15 years.

[Edited 12/7/17 20:47pm]


I wasn't going to say it lol

But compared to most of the artist discussed on this board they are currebt
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/07/17 10:24pm

purple05

TrivialPursuit said:

Strangely I like most of the members of One Direction's solo efforts.

Harry's "Sign O The Times" is a good song.


Louis "Back To You" is a saucy banger.


Liam's "Strip That Down - it's the way new pop should sound


Niall has already won awards for "Slow Hands" and is getting a lot of attention now.


Don't care about Zayn

I used to dislike Katy Perry, but somehow I'm really loving her Teenage Dream and Prism albums. Just fun pop music.

Bruno Mars for sure. Not a huge country fan but I like Chris Stapleton. I still like Ed Sheeran.



While he's been around a while, I'm wondering what Teddy Geiger is going to sound like in another year or two. In case no one knows, he announced a month or so ago that he's transitioning to female. I met Teddy when his first EP had just seeped out on the internet. He's a nice guy and I hope she is living his truth now. But his voice is sure to change.

Frankly, I wanna hear from The Dixie Chicks. I'm not a country guy, but with the political climate as it stands, these are girls I wanna hear from again.


I've never listened to any 1D.
Katy is pretty good and who is this teddy guy
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/07/17 11:09pm

TrivialPursuit

purple05 said:


I've never listened to any 1D. Katy is pretty good and who is this teddy guy


I never listened to 1D either outside of whatever came on the radio. I like their solo efforts more.

Teddy Geiger is a singer. He was on a TV show - and is mainly an independent artist.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/08/17 4:19am

TheFman

purple05 said:

I noticed it's a whole bunch of old scrooges on here... Do you guys like any current artist AT ALL?

unfortunately, NO.


No debuting artists since 2000 that i know of liking.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/08/17 5:13am

ThatWhiteDude

I'm diggin The Weekend and Bruno Mars at the moment.

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 12/08/17 10:29am

gandorb

purple05 said:

TrivialPursuit said:

Strangely I like most of the members of One Direction's solo efforts.

Harry's "Sign O The Times" is a good song.


Louis "Back To You" is a saucy banger.


Liam's "Strip That Down - it's the way new pop should sound


Niall has already won awards for "Slow Hands" and is getting a lot of attention now.


Don't care about Zayn

I used to dislike Katy Perry, but somehow I'm really loving her Teenage Dream and Prism albums. Just fun pop music.

Bruno Mars for sure. Not a huge country fan but I like Chris Stapleton. I still like Ed Sheeran.



While he's been around a while, I'm wondering what Teddy Geiger is going to sound like in another year or two. In case no one knows, he announced a month or so ago that he's transitioning to female. I met Teddy when his first EP had just seeped out on the internet. He's a nice guy and I hope she is living his truth now. But his voice is sure to change.

Frankly, I wanna hear from The Dixie Chicks. I'm not a country guy, but with the political climate as it stands, these are girls I wanna hear from again.


I've never listened to any 1D.
Katy is pretty good and who is this teddy guy
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 12/08/17 10:31am

gandorb

purple05 said:

TrivialPursuit said:

Strangely I like most of the members of One Direction's solo efforts.

Harry's "Sign O The Times" is a good song.


Louis "Back To You" is a saucy banger.


Liam's "Strip That Down - it's the way new pop should sound


Niall has already won awards for "Slow Hands" and is getting a lot of attention now.


Don't care about Zayn

I used to dislike Katy Perry, but somehow I'm really loving her Teenage Dream and Prism albums. Just fun pop music.

Bruno Mars for sure. Not a huge country fan but I like Chris Stapleton. I still like Ed Sheeran.



While he's been around a while, I'm wondering what Teddy Geiger is going to sound like in another year or two. In case no one knows, he announced a month or so ago that he's transitioning to female. I met Teddy when his first EP had just seeped out on the internet. He's a nice guy and I hope she is living his truth now. But his voice is sure to change.

Frankly, I wanna hear from The Dixie Chicks. I'm not a country guy, but with the political climate as it stands, these are girls I wanna hear from again.


I've never listened to any 1D.
Katy is pretty good and who is this teddy guy

The Chicks recently released a good live album.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 12/08/17 10:32am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

Looking at this weeks Billboard Hot 100 - Sam Smith is ok, SZA is touch n go, Kendrick ehhh sure, P!nk is ok hardly "current" - the rest is reductive pandering shit really. McMusic.

.

Also I really dig Flume, The Internet, Kaytranada, Kali Uchis, Glass Animals, Badbadnotgood, Rudimental, MNEK (adore him)

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 12/08/17 12:12pm

stpaisios

avatar

'Cus the shit I'm hearing on the radio is so repeated

So repetitive, not to be confused with competitive...'

to quote Dj Quik from early 2000's.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 12/08/17 1:47pm

thekidsgirl

avatar

purple05 said:

phunkdaddy said:

Define what you mean by current because half of the responses are artists who have

been around at least 15 years.

[Edited 12/7/17 20:47pm]


I wasn't going to say it lol

But compared to most of the artist discussed on this board they are currebt




Since one of the reasons I rarely post around here anymore is the lack of discussion of modern music (outside of Top40), I'll participate... How about current artists that have only put out a debut within the last 7 years or so? ....

Grimes ( https://www.youtube.com/w...FH-q0I1fJY )
-Electropop, Art Pop, Dream pop, Bedroom pop, Electronica, Experimental pop

FKA Twigs ( https://www.youtube.com/w...FtMl-uipA8 )
-Avant-pop, Trip hop, Experimental music, Electronic R&B

Sevdaliza ( https://www.youtube.com/w...oAtzvSBvfE )
-Trip hop, Art Pop, Experimental pop

Ibeyi ( https://www.youtube.com/w...N8TUgkPnbU )
-Soul music, Downtempo, Experimental music, Afro-cuban

Thundercat ( https://www.youtube.com/w...NCd_ERZvZM )
- Funk, Contemporary R&B, Soul music, Jazz, Electronica, Acid jazz


Tei Shi ( https://www.youtube.com/w...pmsnHNJPZI )
- Indie pop, Alternative R&B, Art Pop, Electropop

Pumarosa ( https://www.youtube.com/w...MG8H4yFtmU )
-Alternative, Art Rock

Here Lies Man ( https://www.youtube.com/w..._QArSacUog )
-Acid Rock, Afrobeat

Ibibio Sound Machine ( https://www.youtube.com/w..._QArSacUog )
-Afro-Funk, Electro, Afrobeat

Jay Som ( https://www.youtube.com/w...RES6Af_Wyg )
-Dream Pop, Indie Rock, Noise Pop

Priests ( https://www.youtube.com/w...PISymRFlY8 )
-Post-Punk, Noise Rock, Garage Punk

Downtown Boys ( https://www.youtube.com/w...BO_RUnTqaE )
-Hardcore Punk, Punk Rock



If you will, so will I
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 12/08/17 2:10pm

ginusher

avatar

dancerella said:

Lady Leshurr

.

I only recently heard about her, through two old posse cuts: the 'Female Takeover' send-up of Tinchy Stryder's 'Game Over' collaboration, and the Mikey J produced 'Rock the Mic'. Both put her alongside fellow lady MCs Amplify Dot, Lioness, Baby Blue, RoxXxann, and Mz Bratt (with 'Female Takeover' also throwing in Envy, girlband Ruff Diamondz, and singer Cherri V).

.

I rather like what Leshurr is doing on either of those posse cuts, but I haven't yet found a solo track of hers that quite 'clicked' with me (including her Queen's Speeches). Instead, I've been listening more to Mz Bratt/Cleo and Envy. But I think each of these UK girl rappers are pretty interesting.

.

Current artists I like include:

Hiatus Kaiyote

Tokimonsta

Anderson.Paak

Disclosure

Carminho

Ana Moura

JoJo Levesque

.

There's more, but the above feature heavily on my current Spotify playlists.

.

I don't want your rhythm without your rhyme
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 12/08/17 2:16pm

thekidsgirl

avatar

ginusher said:

dancerella said:

Lady Leshurr

.

Current artists I like include:

Hiatus Kaiyote

Tokimonsta

Anderson.Paak

Disclosure

Carminho

Ana Moura

JoJo Levesque

.

There's more, but the above feature heavily on my current Spotify playlists.

.


I have seen Hiatus Kaiyote perform twice and both time they were really good, but not as exciting on the actual album as they are live (still good tho). Have you heard Nai Palm's solo album? Any good?

If you will, so will I
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 12/08/17 9:44pm

ginusher

avatar

thekidsgirl said:



ginusher said:




dancerella said:


Lady Leshurr

.



Current artists I like include:


Hiatus Kaiyote


Tokimonsta


Anderson.Paak


Disclosure


Carminho


Ana Moura


JoJo Levesque


.


There's more, but the above feature heavily on my current Spotify playlists.


.




I have seen Hiatus Kaiyote perform twice and both time they were really good, but not as exciting on the actual album as they are live (still good tho). Have you heard Nai Palm's solo album? Any good?


I tried it out when it appeared on Spotify last October and found it very disappointing. sad A good chunk of the tracks on it were stripped-down versions of Hiatus Kaiyote songs that, IMO, just failed to be as good as the original versions. I considered going to Nai Palm's concert in Amsterdam last month, but I passed up on it partly based on poor performances I had seen online of that tour. It's a pity too, because with her band, she's fire on stage. Really cool that you saw them live twice.
[Edited 12/8/17 21:46pm]
I don't want your rhythm without your rhyme
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 12/09/17 12:29am

dancerella

TrivialPursuit said:



MickyDolenz said:



Keyshia Cole




Ohhh, so you're the one.




...and guess what, I'm the other one lol. I absolutely loved her Just like you album. Her new album is pretty good. I'm still getting acquainted with it.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 12/09/17 12:32am

dancerella

ginusher said:



dancerella said:


Lady Leshurr

.


I only recently heard about her, through two old posse cuts: the 'Female Takeover' send-up of Tinchy Stryder's 'Game Over' collaboration, and the Mikey J produced 'Rock the Mic'. Both put her alongside fellow lady MCs Amplify Dot, Lioness, Baby Blue, RoxXxann, and Mz Bratt (with 'Female Takeover' also throwing in Envy, girlband Ruff Diamondz, and singer Cherri V).


.


I rather like what Leshurr is doing on either of those posse cuts, but I haven't yet found a solo track of hers that quite 'clicked' with me (including her Queen's Speeches). Instead, I've been listening more to Mz Bratt/Cleo and Envy. But I think each of these UK girl rappers are pretty interesting.


.


Current artists I like include:


Hiatus Kaiyote


Tokimonsta


Anderson.Paak


Disclosure


Carminho


Ana Moura


JoJo Levesque


.


There's more, but the above feature heavily on my current Spotify playlists.


.




Please check out her song called Queen's Speech 3. It is so dope and has funny lyrics. Best lyric ever "I'll be Beyonce to these girls, and I'll Michelle them!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 12/09/17 6:51am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

Bruno Mars
Childish Gambino
Tuxedo
Dam-Funk
Kendrick (think he's super overrated though)
J. Cole
Ariana Grande (despite subpar material)
Big KRIT

BTW, what constitutes a "current artist"? I noticed some people list Beyonce (which is fine BTW) but she's been making music for nearly 20 years at this point.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > What current artist do you like?