independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 19th Jun 2018 1:39am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Donna Summer: Live and More-- Where's the video???
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/05/17 7:02pm

GaryMF

avatar

Donna Summer: Live and More-- Where's the video???

One of the best concert albums ever. Donna at her zenith! Full horn and string section........ amazing renditions.

.

.

I know video exists. I've seen clips on news shows. The video to I feel Love is from this LA 1978 show.

.

.

Where is the full DVD of this????

.

.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/w...0h8Pjf4vNM[/youtube]

rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/05/17 8:09pm

SoulAlive

I agree,by now there should be a full-length DVD of this show.I hope that her family/estate releases it soon.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/06/17 1:47pm

SoulAlive

also....it would be nice if the 'Live and More' album could be celebrated with a super deluxe edition.That album was huge back in the day and it deserves special treatment.They could remaster the CD,plus add other live songs that were performed on that tour ("A Song For You" and "Could It Be Magic" are two that I know of).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/06/17 6:58pm

GaryMF

avatar

where's the best place to suggest this? I went to the Donna Summer FB page and asked about the DVD.... there's a website but no message boards etc. that I could find

rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/07/17 5:34pm

lool

Maybe they only filmed portions of the concert for advertising/newsreel/promotional use. Maybe the footage was damaged, destroyed, or lost. Maybe the estate or who ever owns the footage has plans we don't know about and is waiting for an opportune time to release it or is holding out for a lucrative licensing deal. Maybe Donna didn't want it commercially released and her wishes are being respected. If a full video document of the show never materializes, I am over the moon about what footage I have seen and am thankful and grateful it was captured on film and shared with us who were not able to witness it with our own eyes. Donna was a blessing to this earth. The world is a better place for she having been here. She lives on through the work she left and in the hearts and minds of the people she loved and loved her.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/07/17 6:49pm

SPYZFAN1

One thing that always made me curious is why the Casablanca label never filmed full length concerts in the mid to late 70's....Most of their artists were so visual, flamboyant and had big stageshows....they really dropped the ball on that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/07/17 7:39pm

GaryMF

avatar

lool said:

Maybe they only filmed portions of the concert for advertising/newsreel/promotional use. Maybe the footage was damaged, destroyed, or lost. Maybe the estate or who ever owns the footage has plans we don't know about and is waiting for an opportune time to release it or is holding out for a lucrative licensing deal. Maybe Donna didn't want it commercially released and her wishes are being respected. If a full video document of the show never materializes, I am over the moon about what footage I have seen and am thankful and grateful it was captured on film and shared with us who were not able to witness it with our own eyes. Donna was a blessing to this earth. The world is a better place for she having been here. She lives on through the work she left and in the hearts and minds of the people she loved and loved her.

Thank you for posting that!!!

.

'.

I agree with what you say about her. She was a true blessing.

,

,..

I just hope it does materialize. Someone posted somewhere they believe it once was available on betamax so hopefully it will come out.

rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/16/17 6:54pm

Tontoman22

SPYZFAN1 said:

One thing that always made me curious is why the Casablanca label never filmed full length concerts in the mid to late 70's....Most of their artists were so visual, flamboyant and had big stageshows....they really dropped the ball on that.

Neil Bogart probably never even thought about it, I am sure it never crossed his mind. He was a pretty sharp business man, but apparently heavy into cocaine and partying.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/17/17 8:35am

SoulAlive

lool said:

wow,this footage is great! Let's hope that,someday,they will finally release an entire 1978 concert on DVD/blu-ray.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/17/17 8:51am

SoulAlive

Tontoman22 said:

SPYZFAN1 said:

One thing that always made me curious is why the Casablanca label never filmed full length concerts in the mid to late 70's....Most of their artists were so visual, flamboyant and had big stageshows....they really dropped the ball on that.

Neil Bogart probably never even thought about it, I am sure it never crossed his mind. He was a pretty sharp business man, but apparently heavy into cocaine and partying.

yeah,things were such a mess at Casablanca during the late 70s.I read the book 'And Party Every Day:The Inside Story of Casablanca Records' and it was reeally interesting,to say the least.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/18/17 12:26am

Tontoman22

SoulAlive said:

Tontoman22 said:

Neil Bogart probably never even thought about it, I am sure it never crossed his mind. He was a pretty sharp business man, but apparently heavy into cocaine and partying.

yeah,things were such a mess at Casablanca during the late 70s.I read the book 'And Party Every Day:The Inside Story of Casablanca Records' and it was reeally interesting,to say the least.

Oh, so it was a good read ?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/18/17 9:03am

SPYZFAN1

Soul..I have to get that book. I've read and heard the staff at Casablanca was "snowblind" back then.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/18/17 10:22am

SoulAlive

yes,the book is superb.I highly recommend it

And-Party-Every-Day-The-Inside-Story-of-Casablanca-Records-Harris-Larry

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/18/17 10:24am

SoulAlive

Not so long ago,there was all this talk about a movie being made about Casablanca Records.Justin Timberlake was signed on to play Neil Bogart.I haven't heard anything since confuse

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/18/17 6:31pm

SPYZFAN1

From what I've read, the Neil Bogart film ("Spinning Gold") was shelved. There were issues and complications with the musical publishing rights.....That's disappointing because I really wanted to see it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/18/17 9:19pm

Tontoman22

SPYZFAN1 said:

From what I've read, the Neil Bogart film ("Spinning Gold") was shelved. There were issues and complications with the musical publishing rights.....That's disappointing because I really wanted to see it.

I was wondering what was going on....that sucks !

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/19/17 7:10am

kitbradley

avatar

SPYZFAN1 said:

One thing that always made me curious is why the Casablanca label never filmed full length concerts in the mid to late 70's....Most of their artists were so visual, flamboyant and had big stageshows....they really dropped the ball on that.

I don't know about this particular Donna show but a lot of 70's and 80's concerts were filmed but just never commercially released. Personally, I don't understand why just like I don't understand why labels shelves albums and never release them. I believe with the video footage, the label may not always own the rights to the footage and even if they do, they may simply may not be interested in the artist enough to put the time and effort it would take to remaster video footage and release it. And then there are licensing issues and blah blah blah.

The Rufus and Chaka Live at the Savvy was filmed in 1982 and scheduled for a video release shortly thereafter but it never happened. There is also a Rufus and Chaka concert from 1977 that was supposed to get DVD release back in the 90's but again, it never happened. I do know Aretha has many concerts that were filmed also that have never seen the light of day in any video format. There are probably thousands of shows out there by our favorite artists just sitting in vaults somewhere disintergrating or collecting dust. sad

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/19/17 2:55pm

SPYZFAN1

Some of those venues would have built in video camera systems (Houston, Detroit, Largo, MSG)...I guess sometimes the bands/artists would pay for those videotapes and keep them for themselves....P-Funk and KISS have several of those 1970's video concerts online...On another note, Larry Harris just passed away..RIP.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/19/17 7:48pm

GaryMF

avatar

What??? The Rufus at the Savoy concert exists on video????? WTF that must be released ASAP!

kitbradley said:

The Rufus and Chaka Live at the Savvy was filmed in 1982 and scheduled for a video release shortly thereafter but it never happened. There is also a Rufus and Chaka concert from 1977 that was supposed to get DVD release back in the 90's but again, it never happened. I do know Aretha has many concerts that were filmed also that have never seen the light of day in any video format. There are probably thousands of shows out there by our favorite artists just sitting in vaults somewhere disintergrating or collecting dust. :

rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 12/20/17 9:56am

SoulAlive

How many of you remember Donna's TV special that aired in January 1980? smile this is something that they could release on DVD too....maybe as a bonus on a concert DVD?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 12/20/17 4:39pm

SPYZFAN1

Damn!!..Yes I remember that TV special.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 12/20/17 6:17pm

SoulAlive

I like the “Sunset People” video clip smile the “Bad Girls” clip is a little cheesy,but fun
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 12/21/17 5:40am

SPYZFAN1

Yeah that version of "Bad Girls" is comical....You can easily see DebraLee Scott ("Welcome Back Kotter") singing background....I always found it funny when a celebrity would have their own TV special on a specific network, they would drag other tv stars (from that network) to make guest appearances.....I also remember Donna was slated to do a big screen film (around that time) but I guess the deal fell through.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 12/21/17 1:17pm

SoulAlive

SPYZFAN1 said:

I also remember Donna was slated to do a big screen film (around that time) but I guess the deal fell through.

Wow,really?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 12/21/17 6:15pm

SPYZFAN1

Yup. The film was (supposedly) going to be released under Casablanca Filmworks, but Mercury/Polygram took over...Then Donna ended up suing the label and that probably ended

any plans for the film.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 12/21/17 7:23pm

mrwiggles

Book is a good read. There is also a straight biography of Neil, forget the name of it. May have been written by his son I wanna say. Of course some years ago there was rumble of a biopic based on his life with Justin Timberlake in the title role. Don't know what became of that.
He partied but he was a promo man at heart. A hype man extraordinare. Mugg did not care about throwing dollars all over the place. He would spend all the money to make some money and would often over inflate the sales but end up in the red often.

I thought for sure he would have arranged this to be filmed, after all it was Casablanca Records & FILMWORKS. I'll bet you it's somewhere and somebody knows where or either he took its whereabouts to the grave.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 12/21/17 8:14pm

lool

SoulAlive said:



SPYZFAN1 said:


I also remember Donna was slated to do a big screen film (around that time) but I guess the deal fell through.




Wow,really?



It was a Josephine Baker biopic.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 12/22/17 2:19am

SoulAlive

lool said:

SoulAlive said:

Wow,really?

It was a Josephine Baker biopic.

that would have been interesting.I think Diana Ross was also trying to make a Josephine Baker biopic as well (later in the 80s).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 12/22/17 2:23am

SoulAlive

also....it would be nice if the 'Live and More' album could be celebrated with a super deluxe edition.That album was huge back in the day and it deserves special treatment.They could remaster the CD,plus add other live songs that were performed on that tour ("A Song For You" and "Could It Be Magic" are two that I know of).

I found the setlist for Donna's 1977/78 tour.

Act I
  1. "Overture Medley / Once Upon A Time Introduction
  2. "Could It Be Magic"
  3. "Try Me, I Know We Can Make It"
  4. "Only One Man"
  5. "I Remember Yesterday"
  6. "Love's Unkind"
  7. My Man Medley
    1. "The Man I Love"
    2. "I Got It Bad (and That Ain't Good)"
    3. "Some of These Days"
  8. "The Way We Were"
  9. "If You Got It, Flaunt It"
  10. "A Man Like You"
  11. "Mimi's Song"
Act II
  1. "Once Upon a Time"
  2. "Fairy Tale High"
  3. "Faster And Faster To Nowhere"
  4. "Spring Affair"
  5. "Winter Melody"
  6. "I Love You"
  7. "Happily Ever After"
  8. "One Of A Kind" (Performed on selected dates)
  9. "Love to Love You Baby"
  10. "I Feel Love"
  11. "Summer Fever" (Performed on selected dates)
  12. "Last Dance"
  13. "Rumour Has It"
  14. "A Song For You"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 12/23/17 6:19pm

SoulAlive

SPYZFAN1 said:

Yup. The film was (supposedly) going to be released under Casablanca Filmworks, but Mercury/Polygram took over...Then Donna ended up suing the label and that probably ended

any plans for the film.

speaking of Donna suing Casablanca....weren't you surprised when you first heard about that? It was announced only a few weeks after her TV special aired! I recall being very shocked by that news.I had assumed that everything was running smoothly.She seemed so close to Neil and Joyce Bogart.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Donna Summer: Live and More-- Where's the video???