independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 22nd Oct 2017 9:32pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Sananda Maitreya's Prometheus & Pandora (New Triple CD)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 10/07/17 12:32am

anc282

All right.... I finally decided to say a few words on this album.

Click on the link below.... if you're game. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 10/07/17 3:14am

deebee

avatar

Germanegro said:

deebee said:

I read this yesterday and also wasn't sure what to make of it. Tbh, I felt kind of sad after reading it and a little bit worried for his mental health. I always thought that the florid shtick he came out with when talking to journalists was part ego, part wind-up, with perhaps just a touch of self-sabotage; but he does sound a long way gone in that interview and almost unable to engage with other people at the level of mundane reality. Maybe the journalist only quoted the most eccentric and ornate-sounding lines, but it did sound like he was way 'out there'. Hope the guy's doing ok. confused

>

The guy is prone to more flights of fancy than some. Get him speaking about his past career and he will always get florid. His dealings with industry turned him around a few times, we know--he elucidates this pretty clearly, I feel. I bet that he takes his meds regularly, though. He's not quite ready for the nuthouse, deebee. He has much to say that is quite rooted in the Earth, though--you can tell if you catch some of his variety conversations. I attach one example of his solid constitution.

>

Yes, he does seem rather more grounded in that clip than in the interview - and that's a bit reassuring, frankly. Perhaps talking about his past sets him spinning into his rococo ramblings more than other subjects. I do maintain there's something not quite right if one can only deal with one's personal history in the distantiating language of 'Mount Olympus' and 'crucifixion' and 'petitioning a new psyche' - as that's all grandiose fantasy. I do mean that sympathetically, though, rather than judgmentally. Whatever gets you through the night, as they say. I can only guess that there's painful things in there that are hard to face.

But, yes, he seems more rooted in everyday in the clip you posted. At the same time, I have to say that, he does seem exclusively tuned into his own frequency, so to speak, even whilst ostensibly having a conversation with another person. I haven't a fecking clue what the point he's making is, or what he's contesting, and I'm not sure the interviewer is quite on the same page either. lol Gawd bless 'im. Glad he's still with us, nevertheless.

"Not everything that is faced can be changed; but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 10/07/17 5:36am

Germanegro

deebee said:

Germanegro said:

>

The guy is prone to more flights of fancy than some. Get him speaking about his past career and he will always get florid. His dealings with industry turned him around a few times, we know--he elucidates this pretty clearly, I feel. I bet that he takes his meds regularly, though. He's not quite ready for the nuthouse, deebee. He has much to say that is quite rooted in the Earth, though--you can tell if you catch some of his variety conversations. I attach one example of his solid constitution.

>

Yes, he does seem rather more grounded in that clip than in the interview - and that's a bit reassuring, frankly. Perhaps talking about his past sets him spinning into his rococo ramblings more than other subjects. I do maintain there's something not quite right if one can only deal with one's personal history in the distantiating language of 'Mount Olympus' and 'crucifixion' and 'petitioning a new psyche' - as that's all grandiose fantasy. I do mean that sympathetically, though, rather than judgmentally. Whatever gets you through the night, as they say. I can only guess that there's painful things in there that are hard to face.

But, yes, he seems more rooted in everyday in the clip you posted. At the same time, I have to say that, he does seem exclusively tuned into his own frequency, so to speak, even whilst ostensibly having a conversation with another person. I haven't a fecking clue what the point he's making is, or what he's contesting, and I'm not sure the interviewer is quite on the same page either. lol Gawd bless 'im. Glad he's still with us, nevertheless.

Amen to that, and, well, we all have our frequency that eventually falls in line with the rhythm of the universe. Yes--I seem to be taking on our subject's own tone! lol He's a creative one in the spectrum of humanity, so you can expect the guy to be a bit more inward-focused in his processing while taking in all the reality. His selection of language in telling his story is a trademark, and while for him it blunts harsh thought and romanticizes the rememberance, for true it can leave the impression for the random listener of rococo hyperbole.

>

The point to Sananda's presentation is that there will never be a situation for long where everything is "all right" in this life if you're living a full one, but we keep moving and finding our way through it. I encourage you to check the full interview series for the best elucidation of the pair's conversation. It it entertaining at the very least! I've come to find that Sananda's brand of "craziness" is worth my own attention for that aspect alone, if not for its instructiveness.

cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 10/07/17 6:20am

Germanegro

anc282 said:

All right.... I finally decided to say a few words on this album.

Click on the link below.... if you're game. lol

The Sphinx (as in the Greek visage), it is ready to devour you!

foodnow drool3

lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 10/08/17 4:14pm

RJOrion

i slept on this guy when he was big...wasnt feeling the music behind wishing well or sign my name...but damn, this dude has a magic voice...and he still sounds strong...ive gone back and read alot of stuff and watched alot of video and interviews with this cat...he just came out at the wrong time, when Prince and Michael Jackson had the black idol sppts locked up, there was no more room for the attention this cat should have gotten , if not for his vocal ability alone...i had always overlooked him and jokingly referred to him as Prince and Michael's son...he may have looked that way on the surface, but this man can sing for real...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 10/08/17 5:07pm

anc282

Germanegro said:

anc282 said:

All right.... I finally decided to say a few words on this album.

Click on the link below.... if you're game. lol

The Sphinx (as in the Greek visage), it is ready to devour you!

foodnow drool3

lol


"Because the sphinx he blinks at you." I actually think both a capella pieces are brilliant! Seriously!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 10/09/17 9:11am

Germanegro

Luisa Corna sings "I wanna lose my Monistat" in the intro to "It's Been a Long Time."

>

The song brings serious funk--puns get to flying all around, and she sings the same thing over again to compliment Sananda singing "I wanna lose my mind instead."

>

Why'd that lyric get chosen to begin the song, I wonder? A psychedelic funk salute, I guess? A nod to feminine pharmaceutical blues? Care to discuss?

whistle

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 10/10/17 6:19pm

Germanegro

Only a couple of days left before the official major release of Prometheus & Pandora.

>

Good time to post the latest single "Zebra."

peace yinyang

>

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 10/11/17 5:58pm

tump

novabrkr said:

The problem with the overall sound on the albums isn't really the mastering. It's the mixing, the way the instruments have been recorded and the arrangements being plain dull on too many of the tracks.

My impression too. I can't imagine he is winning many new customers in this 'freedom' era...which sounds less free and more boring and mundane than ever. Words I'd never use for the Great Old Work.

That said, I can't comment on any recent work, nor do I want to listen. It was clear to me years ago that this guy's freedom has done nothing for his artistry.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 10/11/17 7:00pm

MickyDolenz

RJOrion said:

he just came out at the wrong time, when Prince and Michael Jackson had the black idol sppts locked up, there was no more room for the attention this cat should have gotten

His 1st album went multi-platinum. But by the time his 2nd album came out, New Jack Swing had blown up and TTD's sound was less likely to be played on R&B stations. Bobby Brown was the big crossover star for NJS. Bobby got the theme song for the 2nd Ghostbusters movie and helped an unknown singer like Glen Medeiros get a hit single. A lot of established acts released NJS records and songs at the time, even Boy George. TTD's 2nd album didn't really have that sound like Tony! Toni! Toné! and Al B. Sure! did.

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 10/12/17 3:22am

bonatoc

avatar

RJOrion said:

i slept on this guy when he was big...wasnt feeling the music behind wishing well or sign my name...but damn, this dude has a magic voice...and he still sounds strong...ive gone back and read alot of stuff and watched alot of video and interviews with this cat...he just came out at the wrong time, when Prince and Michael Jackson had the black idol sppts locked up, there was no more room for the attention this cat should have gotten , if not for his vocal ability alone...i had always overlooked him and jokingly referred to him as Prince and Michael's son...he may have looked that way on the surface, but this man can sing for real...


I strongly recommend you "Symphony or Damn", one of the most criminally overlooked double albums in pop music.

And while "Neither Fish Nor Flesh", "Vibrator" and "Wildcard" have self-indulgence scattered all over,
a good half of these albums is pure genius, and stand the test of time.

Africa, Cap'n Crunch, Norma Jean, Sex and Cheerio's
Play my record double speed, feel the climax fit 4 a king
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 10/12/17 4:36am

Germanegro

MickyDolenz said:

RJOrion said:

he just came out at the wrong time, when Prince and Michael Jackson had the black idol sppts locked up, there was no more room for the attention this cat should have gotten

His 1st album went multi-platinum. But by the time his 2nd album came out, New Jack Swing had blown up and TTD's sound was less likely to be played on R&B stations. Bobby Brown was the big crossover star for NJS. Bobby got the theme song for the 2nd Ghostbusters movie and helped an unknown singer like Glen Medeiros get a hit single. A lot of established acts released NJS records and songs at the time, even Boy George. TTD's 2nd album didn't really have that sound like Tony! Toni! Toné! and Al B. Sure! did.

Ha--I didn't know that Bobby Brown did the second Ghostbusters soundtrack! This was also around the time that Grunge made its debut, or shortly thereafter)--Album Rock, next phase--and Sananda suggests that while the industry was also picking up that sound and promoting it that his own promotion got a bit sidelined. The TTD stuff was sounding great, but seemed to get the sideline.There weren't a ton of listeners post--The Hardline. His style appears to have been co-opted by other musical styles of the times.

>

Thankfully he doesn't try to do much repeating of what he had done in those days. Nice efforts, but one must move on down the road with one's expressions. It'll be interesting to hear what comes next, if there's a chance.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 10/12/17 4:45am

NorthC

MickyDolenz said:



RJOrion said:


he just came out at the wrong time, when Prince and Michael Jackson had the black idol sppts locked up, there was no more room for the attention this cat should have gotten

His 1st album went multi-platinum. But by the time his 2nd album came out, New Jack Swing had blown up and TTD's sound was less likely to be played on R&B stations. Bobby Brown was the big crossover star for NJS. Bobby got the theme song for the 2nd Ghostbusters movie and helped an unknown singer like Glen Medeiros get a hit single. A lot of established acts released NJS records and songs at the time, even Boy George. TTD's 2nd album didn't really have that sound like Tony! Toni! Toné! and Al B. Sure! did.


You have a point, but 1989 was also the year that Lenny Kravitz' debut album came out. Living Colour and The Family Stand were also popular back then, so there certainly was a market for black rockers.
Don't ever lose your dreams.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 10/12/17 4:49am

NorthC

2freaky4church1 said:

How does he make money?


I wish I could say: from touring. It's been 15 years since I saw him live! I would love it if he'd hit the road again!
Don't ever lose your dreams.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 10/12/17 4:55am

Germanegro

tump said:

My impression too. I can't imagine he is winning many new customers in this 'freedom' era...which sounds less free and more boring and mundane than ever. Words I'd never use for the Great Old Work.

That said, I can't comment on any recent work, nor do I want to listen. It was clear to me years ago that this guy's freedom has done nothing for his artistry.

One suggestion--check Sananda's new song on the new album, "Rhinocerous." He's free and he's running! A follower of the work's progression might enjoy that one--I do.

>

I too enjoy hearing the cool older tunes, they're part of what makes the guy great, but I've grown not to enshrine them as lesser and alternative works have their place along the scale of a career.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 10/12/17 5:05am

NorthC

Rhinocerous... Zebra... Giraffe... It's like he's building a musical zoo! biggrin
Don't ever lose your dreams.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 10/12/17 5:38am

Germanegro

NorthC said:

Rhinocerous... Zebra... Giraffe... It's like he's building a musical zoo! biggrin

I'm hip--I love the theme of the African wildlife! Large, powerful, unique beasts of the great continent.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Sananda Maitreya's Prometheus & Pandora (New Triple CD)