independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 19th Oct 2017 4:01am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > The Most Underrated Band Of All Time Is...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/07/17 11:03pm

CynicKill

The Most Underrated Band Of All Time Is...

The Red Hot Chili Peppers!

I know they're one of the worlds most popular bands, but they don't get the respect they deserve.

They don't get respect as a rock band.

They don't get respect as a funk band.

Every time you listen to RHCP you get this vivid picture of their version of California. It's seedy, lost, a little too warm, a little too much hanging out and doing drugs. They've done more promoting this version of California than anybody I know.

And the songs. It's hard to pick out a bad song from this group.

...and tidal waves couldn't save the world from Californication!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/08/17 2:09am

mynameisnotsus
an

I don't really play the radio but I have to listen to it at my workplace - and I'm surprised how much play they get. Any band that's sold millions of albums around the world is not underrated. I like them well enough - haven't bought an album by them since the 90s though.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/08/17 2:57am

2045RadicalMat
tZ

Geez. Must not have a deep play list


I was expecting something obscure. IMHO the peppers are completely OVER RATED....they're huge in fame dude/dudette.....don't un remember they kinda sorta played the super bowl even? ((They acted at least))


Off the top of my head. .

TOTO/BOOKER T & THE MGS-STEVE CROPPERS BAND (even if u don't like their own work - they've both got EXTENSIVE catalogue)
EXTREME
FISHBONE (*usually this'll take the cake...they influenced every damn body but are virtually unknown outside of 90's ppl or musicians)

DURAN DURAN
BEE GEES (*believe me, they've got some great rock ish shit before doing disco)
RUSH (under appreciated)


These are all bands with mild success that don't get the following they ought to have had


Except for the BEE GEES they're here in my opinion cause they're not considered a band by most people

Come to think of it. ..i really want to take DURAN DURAN off of this cause they've released some really truly piss poor albums mixed in amongst great stuff.


Another two. DEPECHE MODE (they BECAME a band), SKINNY PUPPY, PUBLIC ENEMY, EURYTHMICS (hell of a revolving band with two brilliant song writers)

As for criminally underappreciated:
SLY & THE FAMILY STONE (they ought to have a statue or something)
PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC
the original ALICE COOPER BAND
Tony Iommi carrying BLACK SABBATH all those non Ozzy/Dio years that asshole critics like to piss on


and the dreaded....LIMP BIZKIT (*ignore Fred 's lyrics on 85% of the songs and you'll be amazed)
[Edited 8/8/17 3:30am]
"Damn Dolores, pick another subject, please...introduce the carpet to something other than your knees...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/08/17 3:01am

TheFman

They're not underrated, but not taken as seriously as The Beach Boys to name one.
They're of the most phenomenal musicians grouped together, making heavenly tunes while keeping it simple most of the time. Anthony is their weakest spot, yet you can't have RHCP with anybody but Anthony singing and writing.
They have 1 of the 5 best bassists out there, they *had* one of the very best guitarists, a drummer winning all drumming contests against Will Ferrell ( lol for the insiders) , they aren't afraid of anything or anybody, and many of their harmonies can go directly on mentioned Beach Boys' records from their best days.
Not to mention they made the baddest biggest best funky popfunkrocky album ever.

The only way they're underrated is way i didn't put them in my top 3 bands of all time yesterday... because they're taking a bit less serious than let's say Neil Young.

Their latest album is fucking good again, besides 1-2 songs that are mediocre. The album of last year surely. Who does that after playing so many years already?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/08/17 3:35am

2045RadicalMat
tZ

TheFman said:

They're not underrated, but not taken as seriously as The Beach Boys to name one.
They're of the most phenomenal musicians grouped together, making heavenly tunes while keeping it simple most of the time. Anthony is their weakest spot, yet you can't have RHCP with anybody but Anthony singing and writing.
They have 1 of the 5 best bassists out there, they *had* one of the very best guitarists, a drummer winning all drumming contests against Will Ferrell ( lol for the insiders) , they aren't afraid of anything or anybody, and many of their harmonies can go directly on mentioned Beach Boys' records from their best days.
Not to mention they made the baddest biggest best funky popfunkrocky album ever.



The only way they're underrated is way i didn't put them in my top 3 bands of all time yesterday... because they're taking a bit less serious than let's say Neil Young.

Their latest album is fucking good again, besides 1-2 songs that are mediocre. The album of last year surely. Who does that after playing so many years already?



Yeah. They do stay fresh and resurrect things every now and then, but I've heard rumors for about a decade about ghost writers and submissions (*one time paid fees to up and comers who never get there)....but those COULD always be the ramblings of the insane/or envy
"Damn Dolores, pick another subject, please...introduce the carpet to something other than your knees...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/08/17 4:05am

TheFman

2045RadicalMattZ said:

TheFman said:

They're not underrated, but not taken as seriously as The Beach Boys to name one.
They're of the most phenomenal musicians grouped together, making heavenly tunes while keeping it simple most of the time. Anthony is their weakest spot, yet you can't have RHCP with anybody but Anthony singing and writing.
They have 1 of the 5 best bassists out there, they *had* one of the very best guitarists, a drummer winning all drumming contests against Will Ferrell ( lol for the insiders) , they aren't afraid of anything or anybody, and many of their harmonies can go directly on mentioned Beach Boys' records from their best days.
Not to mention they made the baddest biggest best funky popfunkrocky album ever.

The only way they're underrated is way i didn't put them in my top 3 bands of all time yesterday... because they're taking a bit less serious than let's say Neil Young.

Their latest album is fucking good again, besides 1-2 songs that are mediocre. The album of last year surely. Who does that after playing so many years already?

Yeah. They do stay fresh and resurrect things every now and then, but I've heard rumors for about a decade about ghost writers and submissions (*one time paid fees to up and comers who never get there)....but those COULD always be the ramblings of the insane/or envy

I don't really believe too much of those ghostwriting stories; you can pick out easily what's theirs. Perhaps on their two last albums that wouldn't be impossible after John left, but i doubt so.
Anyway, who's not without 'help' or 'inspiration', or 'clear theft'? Or didn't give credits. We don't have to look far on this forum smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/08/17 7:13am

mjscarousal

CynicKill said:

The Red Hot Chili Peppers!


I know they're one of the worlds most popular bands, but they don't get the respect they deserve.


They don't get respect as a rock band.


They don't get respect as a funk band.


Every time you listen to RHCP you get this vivid picture of their version of California. It's seedy, lost, a little too warm, a little too much hanging out and doing drugs. They've done more promoting this version of California than anybody I know.


And the songs. It's hard to pick out a bad song from this group.


...and tidal waves couldn't save the world from Californication!









You really need to broaden your music library and taste in music. They are not the most underrated band.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/08/17 9:24am

peedub

avatar

2045RadicalMattZ said:

Geez. Must not have a deep play list I was expecting something obscure. IMHO the peppers are completely OVER RATED....they're huge in fame dude/dudette.....don't un remember they kinda sorta played the super bowl even? ((They acted at least)) Off the top of my head. . TOTO/BOOKER T & THE MGS-STEVE CROPPERS BAND (even if u don't like their own work - they've both got EXTENSIVE catalogue) EXTREME FISHBONE (*usually this'll take the cake...they influenced every damn body but are virtually unknown outside of 90's ppl or musicians) DURAN DURAN BEE GEES (*believe me, they've got some great rock ish shit before doing disco) RUSH (under appreciated) These are all bands with mild success that don't get the following they ought to have had Except for the BEE GEES they're here in my opinion cause they're not considered a band by most people Come to think of it. ..i really want to take DURAN DURAN off of this cause they've released some really truly piss poor albums mixed in amongst great stuff. Another two. DEPECHE MODE (they BECAME a band), SKINNY PUPPY, PUBLIC ENEMY, EURYTHMICS (hell of a revolving band with two brilliant song writers) As for criminally underappreciated: SLY & THE FAMILY STONE (they ought to have a statue or something) PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC the original ALICE COOPER BAND Tony Iommi carrying BLACK SABBATH all those non Ozzy/Dio years that asshole critics like to piss on and the dreaded....LIMP BIZKIT (*ignore Fred 's lyrics on 85% of the songs and you'll be amazed) [Edited 8/8/17 3:30am]

depeche mode underrated? really? they're one of the biggest, most loved bands in the world?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/08/17 12:04pm

2045RadicalMat
tZ

peedub said:

2045RadicalMattZ said:

Geez. Must not have a deep play list I was expecting something obscure. IMHO the peppers are completely OVER RATED....they're huge in fame dude/dudette.....don't un remember they kinda sorta played the super bowl even? ((They acted at least)) Off the top of my head. . TOTO/BOOKER T & THE MGS-STEVE CROPPERS BAND (even if u don't like their own work - they've both got EXTENSIVE catalogue) EXTREME FISHBONE (*usually this'll take the cake...they influenced every damn body but are virtually unknown outside of 90's ppl or musicians) DURAN DURAN BEE GEES (*believe me, they've got some great rock ish shit before doing disco) RUSH (under appreciated) These are all bands with mild success that don't get the following they ought to have had Except for the BEE GEES they're here in my opinion cause they're not considered a band by most people Come to think of it. ..i really want to take DURAN DURAN off of this cause they've released some really truly piss poor albums mixed in amongst great stuff. Another two. DEPECHE MODE (they BECAME a band), SKINNY PUPPY, PUBLIC ENEMY, EURYTHMICS (hell of a revolving band with two brilliant song writers) As for criminally underappreciated: SLY & THE FAMILY STONE (they ought to have a statue or something) PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC the original ALICE COOPER BAND Tony Iommi carrying BLACK SABBATH all those non Ozzy/Dio years that asshole critics like to piss on and the dreaded....LIMP BIZKIT (*ignore Fred 's lyrics on 85% of the songs and you'll be amazed) [Edited 8/8/17 3:30am]

depeche mode underrated? really? they're one of the biggest, most loved bands in the world?

okay... maybe in my sphere... (rock and roll)... they aren't considered a band...

I love them, too. I'm still a little confused as to what Andy Fletcher even does onstage. He could probably be there ala Max Headroom... in a monitor.



I'm still hoping for that "BINGO" moment when someone indeed says a TRULY underrated band...and everybody goes... WHOOOA... Yeah totally!

"Damn Dolores, pick another subject, please...introduce the carpet to something other than your knees...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/08/17 12:21pm

MickyDolenz

CynicKill said:

The Red Hot Chili Peppers!

I think it's The Banana Splits or Little Chrissy & The Alphabeats lol


It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/08/17 12:57pm

ReddBlitz

Mandrill
The Meters
Brass Construction
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/08/17 1:35pm

novabrkr

Nonsense. nuts

RHCP has been a very popular band for decades and continues to stell out venues to this day.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/08/17 5:55pm

214

Sly and The Family Stone is criminally underrated, here in Mexico nobody knows who the hell they are. Funkadelic is quite underrated. Both of them are underrated outside USA.

Another one great band is Pixies, just with Doolittle album, they should have gained their place in music history.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/08/17 6:45pm

UncleJam

avatar

Electric Light Orchestra and War...both criminally underrated

Make it so, Number One...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/08/17 8:47pm

gandorb

UncleJam said:

Electric Light Orchestra and War...both criminally underrated



ELO is a really good choice. They were typically dismissed by critics but they were a unique band who could be really creative, trippy (LISTEN to their pre top 40 albums on headphones), yet also create beautiful pop melodies.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 08/08/17 9:37pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

That is an easy one.......Funkadelic/Parliament, one of the most sample bands of all-time, yet most mainstream peeps are not aware of their entire catalogue shrug

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 08/08/17 10:00pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

I was thinking about a thread similar to this earlier today.

For me it's Mass Production. They are mostly known as the band with one big funk hit Firecracker

and a few minor ones but what's impressive to me is how they would switch it up on your ass

and go deep into jazz with songs like Shante, Angel, Bopp, Strollin, Our Thought(Purity),etc.

You ain't nothin but a jaybird with draws on
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 08/09/17 2:33am

mjscarousal

Bands like WAR, Kool in the Gang, The Jacksons(when they left Motown), even Sly and the family Stone, Mint Condition, most of those old school funk/R&B bands are very underrated. They never get accolades or acknowledgement for their contributions and impact on music. They are often overlooked, that's what it means to be underrated.
[Edited 8/9/17 2:45am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 08/09/17 3:37am

robertgeorge

CynicKill said:

The Red Hot Chili Peppers!

I know they're one of the worlds most popular bands, but they don't get the respect they deserve.

They don't get respect as a rock band.

They don't get respect as a funk band.

Every time you listen to RHCP you get this vivid picture of their version of California. It's seedy, lost, a little too warm, a little too much hanging out and doing drugs. They've done more promoting this version of California than anybody I know.

And the songs. It's hard to pick out a bad song from this group.

...and tidal waves couldn't save the world from Californication!


I can agree with this. The RHCP have become a victim of their own success. If you could amputate the fanbase with the very worst excesses of the dude bros (as another poster concisely anointed them), they have done a lot....

Many records released including classics and best sellers
Solid and at times distinctive musicians (who have spawned probably hundreds of dreadful garage bands of a crazytown level calibre

Super Bowl shows.
Acting careers including roles including small roles in classic films such as the Big Lebowski.

Songs regarded as mainstays of radio and playlists like under the bridge.
A willingness to pay tribute to past inspirations such as George Clinton and P Funk, Magic Johnson and Stevie Wonder.

I like stadium Arcadium, and One Hot Minute amongst other unheralded albums
That being said I was never a great fan of their version of punk funk in their pre-mothers milk albums.
I thought the session work they did with Alanis Morrisette (You Oughta Know) and the work with Tricky (no not UTCM Tricky) and the cover of Wonder Woman another couple of tracks was solid too.

I think they are much more deserving than the Foo Fighters who are in seemingly a similarly simple morass of adoration by the basic majority.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 08/09/17 3:50am

robertgeorge

I like the previous poster who mentioned Duran Duran. They have a depth and a quality and an artistry but they get treated like one hit wonders, one direction with synths.

I would mention Raphael Saadiq.
Early Suede (the London Suede)
The Left Bank
The Teardrop Explodes (who are often forgotten)
Any of the decent Prince proteges do not get the love or appreciation they deserve.
For what they have done George Clinton and P Funk, Eddie Hazel, Bootsy, Bernie Worrel......
Slug and Murs are some talented cats.
Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry any rock 'n' roll innovators who were short on later period hits.
Herbie Hancock should be called a genius more.
As should Donny Hathaway who is (was) amazing.
Meshell Ndegeocello should have had more respect, though I still have to google how to spell her name.
Fiona Apple's first album was fire.
Tori Amos went from incredible to not that credible, but deserves some mo credit.
I always thing LL Cool J did some cool stuff despite being marginalized below other contemporaries.

Junie Morrison had some next level talent.

I could continue.....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 08/09/17 4:42am

TheFman

i don't understand the mentioning of Duran Duran here....
They were about the most massive band in the 80's. They did what they were able to do. No underrating here...

And afterwards in their 2.0 reincarnation they didn't make anything special so they not underrated there either.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 08/09/17 4:55am

mjscarousal

robertgeorge said:

I like the previous poster who mentioned Duran Duran. They have a depth and a quality and an artistry but they get treated like one hit wonders, one direction with synths.

I would mention Raphael Saadiq.
Early Suede (the London Suede)
The Left Bank
The Teardrop Explodes (who are often forgotten)
Any of the decent Prince proteges do not get the love or appreciation they deserve.
For what they have done George Clinton and P Funk, Eddie Hazel, Bootsy, Bernie Worrel.....
Slug and Murs are some talented cats.
Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry any rock 'n' roll innovators who were short on later period hits.
Herbie Hancock should be called a genius more.
As should Donny Hathaway who is (was) amazing.
Meshell Ndegeocello should have had more respect, though I still have to google how to spell her name.
Fiona Apple's first album was fire.
Tori Amos went from incredible to not that credible, but deserves some mo credit.
I always thing LL Cool J did some cool stuff despite being marginalized below other contemporaries.


Junie Morrison had some next level talent.



I could continue.....



Good choices most here are underrated.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 08/09/17 10:15am

luvsexy4all

TTD.....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 08/09/17 10:40am

2045RadicalMat
tZ

214 said:

Sly and The Family Stone is criminally underrated, here in Mexico nobody knows who the hell they are. Funkadelic is quite underrated. Both of them are underrated outside USA.

Another one great band is Pixies, just with Doolittle album, they should have gained their place in music history.

PIXIES???...... great googly moogly!

... they're like the most overrated thing ever. Doolittle isnt even that special. But...opinion is opinion....

"Damn Dolores, pick another subject, please...introduce the carpet to something other than your knees...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 08/09/17 10:54am

luvsexy4all

and Ween

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 08/09/17 11:20am

DaveT

avatar

Coldplay are incredibly popular but the seem to get unfairly bashed by "serious" music fans ... they've written some of the best pop melodies of the last 15 years and are an amazing live band. They don't get the credit they deserve in my humble opinion ... underrated.

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 08/09/17 11:41am

luvsexy4all

Prince..in the 90's

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 08/09/17 11:47am

MickyDolenz

robertgeorge said:

I like the previous poster who mentioned Duran Duran. They have a depth and a quality and an artistry but they get treated like one hit wonders, one direction with synths.

I would mention Raphael Saadiq.
Early Suede (the London Suede)
The Left Bank
The Teardrop Explodes (who are often forgotten)
Any of the decent Prince proteges do not get the love or appreciation they deserve.
For what they have done George Clinton and P Funk, Eddie Hazel, Bootsy, Bernie Worrel......
Slug and Murs are some talented cats.
Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry any rock 'n' roll innovators who were short on later period hits.
Herbie Hancock should be called a genius more.
As should Donny Hathaway who is (was) amazing.
Meshell Ndegeocello should have had more respect, though I still have to google how to spell her name.
Fiona Apple's first album was fire.
Tori Amos went from incredible to not that credible, but deserves some mo credit.
I always thing LL Cool J did some cool stuff despite being marginalized below other contemporaries.

Junie Morrison had some next level talent.

I could continue.....

Since when are solo acts a band?

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 08/09/17 12:40pm

peedub

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

and Ween

truth.

they and war are about the only 2 i can get behind of those listed so far.

[Edited 8/9/17 12:41pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 08/09/17 12:49pm

Farfunknugin

avatar

Crowded House - Beatleque harmonies + Neil Finn is a genius dating all the way back to Split Enz. Just play One Step Ahead, I Got You or Message to my Girl if you need proof.

Neil Finns solo work alone is head & shoulders above most .

[Edited 8/9/17 12:50pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > The Most Underrated Band Of All Time Is...