independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 19th Oct 2017 3:59am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Kool & the Gang- Get Down On It
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 08/07/17 5:13am

mjscarousal

NorthC said:

TheFman said:

it's funny how a band with so many classics to their name are still not being taken too serious. Falls almost in 'guilty pleasures' category. They will never be named in the same breath as the traditional respected big names, while K&TG is often better than those. I love them!

That's because they went from being a funk band that James Brown called "the second baddest out there" to a disco act that was closer to KC and the Sunshine Band. They're # 1 in The Sellout Hall of Shame. [Edited 8/6/17 10:44am]

I don't consider them a sell out band. All of their disco inspired songs are genius to me and I love KC and the Sunshine band, so there. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 08/07/17 6:11am

LittleBLUECorv
ette

avatar

SoulAlive said:



LittleBLUECorvette said:


NorthC said:
That's because they went from being a funk band that James Brown called "the second baddest out there" to a disco act that was closer to KC and the Sunshine Band. They're # 1 in The Sellout Hall of Shame.


Celebration is their only cheesy hit. A lot of stuff they did with JT is really good. Too Hot, Steppin Out, Tonight, Fresh, etc.


I agree.There's nothing wrong with the stuff they did with JT....."Ladies Night","Take My Heart (You Can Have It If You Want It)","Jones Vs.Jones","Misled",""Tonight","Joanna",etc.....I love all those songs.



I don't consider them a sellout band at all.They simply made a few necessary changes in order to survive into the 80s.If they had not made those changes,they would have been 'over' by the late 70s.




Nobody ever calls out the Elements, I hated shit like Magnetic lol.
PRINCE: Always and Forever
MICHAEL JACKSON: Always and Forever
-----
Live Your Life How U Wanna Live It
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 08/07/17 8:07pm

trufunk

All time favorite among others.

https://www.youtube.com/w...ture=share
[Edited 8/7/17 20:12pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 08/08/17 1:49pm

babynoz

LittleBLUECorvette said:

NorthC said:
That's because they went from being a funk band that James Brown called "the second baddest out there" to a disco act that was closer to KC and the Sunshine Band. They're # 1 in The Sellout Hall of Shame. [Edited 8/6/17 10:44am]
Celebration is their only cheesy hit. A lot of stuff they did with JT is really good. Too Hot, Steppin Out, Tonight, Fresh, etc.



They didn't sell all the way out but I do prefer the pre-JT funk era.

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 08/08/17 10:22pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

LittleBLUECorvette said:

SoulAlive said:

I agree.There's nothing wrong with the stuff they did with JT....."Ladies Night","Take My Heart (You Can Have It If You Want It)","Jones Vs.Jones","Misled",""Tonight","Joanna",etc.....I love all those songs.

I don't consider them a sellout band at all.They simply made a few necessary changes in order to survive into the 80s.If they had not made those changes,they would have been 'over' by the late 70s.

Nobody ever calls out the Elements, I hated shit like Magnetic lol.

Hey watch it now. We will bitchfight over the Elements. I dug Magnetic but I kind of know where

you're coming from. Electric Universe didn't impress me much at all outside of a few numbers.

The ballads on the album were very weak. I think one was a David Foster ballad Could It Be Right which was so sappy it would make some of Lionel Richie's solo material sound more soulful.

EWF damn sure needed a break after this album.

You ain't nothin but a jaybird with draws on
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 08/08/17 10:46pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

mjscarousal said:

NorthC said:

TheFman said: That's because they went from being a funk band that James Brown called "the second baddest out there" to a disco act that was closer to KC and the Sunshine Band. They're # 1 in The Sellout Hall of Shame. [Edited 8/6/17 10:44am]

I don't consider them a sell out band. All of their disco inspired songs are genius to me and I love KC and the Sunshine band, so there. lol

yeahthat they had alot of great songs that still stand up today. I loved Cherish (1984), its beautiful......and Get Down On It is a classic boogie

[Edited 8/8/17 22:48pm]

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 08/08/17 10:51pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

This thread has got me in a Kool & The Gang mood music ......here is another classic.....Joanna (1983)

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 08/08/17 10:53pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

Another great jam from the 80s.....Misled (1984)

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 08/08/17 10:56pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

Here comes another classic.....Emergency (1984)

[Edited 8/8/17 22:58pm]

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 08/08/17 10:59pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

But wait there's more......Fresh (1984)

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 08/08/17 11:33pm

Dancelot

avatar

LittleBLUECorvette said:

SoulAlive said:

I agree.There's nothing wrong with the stuff they did with JT....."Ladies Night","Take My Heart (You Can Have It If You Want It)","Jones Vs.Jones","Misled",""Tonight","Joanna",etc.....I love all those songs.

I don't consider them a sellout band at all.They simply made a few necessary changes in order to survive into the 80s.If they had not made those changes,they would have been 'over' by the late 70s.

Nobody ever calls out the Elements, I hated shit like Magnetic lol.

I remember I was truly shocked when the single came out and I catched it for the first time on the radio. WTF? but today I think that song kicks some major ass biggrin the album however had several low points, no doubt


[Edited 8/8/17 23:33pm]

Vanglorious... this is protected by the red, the black, and the green. With a key... sissy!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 08/09/17 1:01am

SoulAlive

phunkdaddy said:

LittleBLUECorvette said:

SoulAlive said: Nobody ever calls out the Elements, I hated shit like Magnetic lol.

Hey watch it now. We will bitchfight over the Elements. I dug Magnetic but I kind of know where

you're coming from. Electric Universe didn't impress me much at all outside of a few numbers.

The ballads on the album were very weak. I think one was a David Foster ballad Could It Be Right which was so sappy it would make some of Lionel Richie's solo material sound more soulful.

EWF damn sure needed a break after this album.

I have a whole different opinion about Electric Universe.In Maurice White's book,he says that "by 1983,I was getting bored with R&B".He lists songs that were really impressing him during that period: "She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby,"I Can't Go For That" by Hall and Oates,etc.Basically,he felt that the old EW&F sound was getting stale and he was right.The previous album Powerlight sounds uninspired to me....like they're just going through the motions.So I can understand why Maurice wanted to take some chances and venture into new sounds.I think Electric Universe is very good....a bold departure from what they had been doing.It flopped,of course,but hey,you gotta take chances,right? And I think "Could It Be Right" is excellent biggrin it's reminscent of "After The Love Is Gone" and should have been a single.Pop audiences would have made that song a smash hit.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 08/09/17 2:46pm

babynoz

Goddess4Real said:

This thread has got me in a Kool & The Gang mood music ......here is another classic.....Joanna (1983)




barf

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 08/09/17 11:46pm

SoulAlive

I love "Joanna" music such a great song
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 08/10/17 3:14pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

SoulAlive said:



phunkdaddy said:




LittleBLUECorvette said:


SoulAlive said: Nobody ever calls out the Elements, I hated shit like Magnetic lol.


Hey watch it now. We will bitchfight over the Elements. I dug Magnetic but I kind of know where


you're coming from. Electric Universe didn't impress me much at all outside of a few numbers.


The ballads on the album were very weak. I think one was a David Foster ballad Could It Be Right which was so sappy it would make some of Lionel Richie's solo material sound more soulful.


EWF damn sure needed a break after this album.




I have a whole different opinion about Electric Universe.In Maurice White's book,he says that "by 1983,I was getting bored with R&B".He lists songs that were really impressing him during that period: "She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby,"I Can't Go For That" by Hall and Oates,etc.Basically,he felt that the old EW&F sound was getting stale and he was right.The previous album Powerlight sounds uninspired to me....like they're just going through the motions.So I can understand why Maurice wanted to take some chances and venture into new sounds.I think Electric Universe is very good....a bold departure from what they had been doing.It flopped,of course,but hey,you gotta take chances,right? And I think "Could It Be Right" is excellent biggrin it's reminscent of "After The Love Is Gone" and should have been a single.Pop audiences would have made that song a smash hit.



I have a different view of Powerlight. One of my favorite albums by EWF. You had the smooth If You Fall In Love With Me. You are dead if you don't feel Verdine's bass licks on that one and the opening. The next single Side By Side is still a staple on Quiet Storm. Gotta love the carribean feel of the steel drums on it too.
I feel those two songs alone trump everything on Electric Universe. Straight from the Heart and Something Special are miles better than both ballads on Elecric Universe imo. Straight From The Heart is a beautiful Phillip Bailey led ballad followed by a short cool Kalimba instrumental to close side 1 of the album. Speed Of Love and the bass thumping Heart To Heart I liked to. How can anyone not like the inspirational Miracles? For me I felt Electric Universe was uninspiring with no direction. In fact Larry Dunn admitted he clashed with Maurice somewhat over the direction of Electric Universe and when they reunited in 1987 Larry turned down the offer to come back.
You're right it was nothing wrong with taking chances but fo me the album just
wasn't very good. Most of it just didn't have any bite as its predecessor Powerlight. Could It Be Right might have worked in 1986 as an attempt at a crossover hit as R&B started going in that direction but no way in hell that would have worked in 1983 with synth funk happening from Zapp, Barkays, Lakeside, Cameo,etc. EWF would have gotten booed for that at that time. lol

[Edited 8/10/17 15:18pm]
[Edited 8/10/17 15:19pm]
You ain't nothin but a jaybird with draws on
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 08/10/17 3:24pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

SoulAlive said:

I love "Joanna" music such a great song

It is. The odd thing about is when I first heard it I thought it was an old song
from Ladies Night or Celebration. I had no idea the song was new in 1983. lol
I liked Take My Heart better but Joanna was a nice song.m
You ain't nothin but a jaybird with draws on
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 08/10/17 3:49pm

SoulAlive

lol,pretty soon we're gonna have to do an EW&F thread so we can discuss their albums in-depth smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 08/10/17 4:32pm

LittleBLUECorv
ette

avatar

phunkdaddy said:



LittleBLUECorvette said:


SoulAlive said:



I agree.There's nothing wrong with the stuff they did with JT....."Ladies Night","Take My Heart (You Can Have It If You Want It)","Jones Vs.Jones","Misled",""Tonight","Joanna",etc.....I love all those songs.



I don't consider them a sellout band at all.They simply made a few necessary changes in order to survive into the 80s.If they had not made those changes,they would have been 'over' by the late 70s.





Nobody ever calls out the Elements, I hated shit like Magnetic lol.


Hey watch it now. We will bitchfight over the Elements. I dug Magnetic but I kind of know where


you're coming from. Electric Universe didn't impress me much at all outside of a few numbers.


The ballads on the album were very weak. I think one was a David Foster ballad Could It Be Right which was so sappy it would make some of Lionel Richie's solo material sound more soulful.


EWF damn sure needed a break after this album.


Im tired of the JT hate. lol
PRINCE: Always and Forever
MICHAEL JACKSON: Always and Forever
-----
Live Your Life How U Wanna Live It
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 08/10/17 6:12pm

SoulAlive

as for "Get Down On It",this jam is insanely catchy! A kickass groove! I think that the 'Something Special' album is the absolute best of the JT-era albums.Every track is stellar.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 08/11/17 6:28am

anc282

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 08/11/17 7:53pm

mltijchr

avatar

NorthC said:

TheFman said:

it's funny how a band with so many classics to their name are still not being taken too serious. Falls almost in 'guilty pleasures' category. They will never be named in the same breath as the traditional respected big names, while K&TG is often better than those. I love them!

That's because they went from being a funk band that James Brown called "the second baddest out there" to a disco act that was closer to KC and the Sunshine Band. They're # 1 in The Sellout Hall of Shame. [Edited 8/6/17 10:44am]

.

in that "sellout hall of shame" - in my opinion - Lionel Richie is the undisputed champ.

I think with each subsequent solo album, he just..

well.. LISTEN TO THOSE SONGS!!!

.

Lionel went from "preachin' like an old southern Baptist preacher" on the Commodores CLASSIC ballad "just to be close to you"

("ma-tarial thangs.. that ah thought had so much VALYA.."

.

to..

.

"say you.. say me.. say it forever..

naturally.."

.

GET THE F%@K OUTTA HERE WITH THAT!

.

I just got 5 CAVITIES

just for typin' that sugary-sweet nonsense..

.

ANYWAY..

.

I'll see you tonight..
in ALL MY DREAMS..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 08/11/17 9:59pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

mltijchr said:



NorthC said:


TheFman said:

it's funny how a band with so many classics to their name are still not being taken too serious. Falls almost in 'guilty pleasures' category. They will never be named in the same breath as the traditional respected big names, while K&TG is often better than those. I love them!



That's because they went from being a funk band that James Brown called "the second baddest out there" to a disco act that was closer to KC and the Sunshine Band. They're # 1 in The Sellout Hall of Shame. [Edited 8/6/17 10:44am]

.


in that "sellout hall of shame" - in my opinion - Lionel Richie is the undisputed champ.


I think with each subsequent solo album, he just..


well.. LISTEN TO THOSE SONGS!!!


.


Lionel went from "preachin' like an old southern Baptist preacher" on the Commodores CLASSIC ballad "just to be close to you"


("ma-tarial thangs.. that ah thought had so much VALYA.."


.


to..


.


"say you.. say me.. say it forever..


naturally.."


.


GET THE F%@K OUTTA HERE WITH THAT!


.


I just got 5 CAVITIES


just for typin' that sugary-sweet nonsense..


.


ANYWAY..


.



lol
You ain't nothin but a jaybird with draws on
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 08/14/17 2:58pm

Adisa

avatar

K&TG Greatest hits has been on heavy rotation the past month.

They are easily my fave R&B band of all time.

music

I'm sick and tired of the Prince fans being sick and tired of the Prince fans that are sick and tired!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Kool & the Gang- Get Down On It