independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 18th Nov 2017 7:12pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Let's Talk About Controversial Songs
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/14/17 3:17pm

StrangeButTrue

avatar

Let's Talk About Controversial Songs

I remember years ago "Soul on Ice" by Meshell Ndegeocello made a friend ask me to switch CDs while driving. Right at the line about Brooks Brothers suits. She was like 'I can't listen to this she is being so unfair!' Stevie Wonder's "Front Line" and "Living For The City" were both so candid and honest about war trauma. Salt N Pepa's "Let's Talk About Sex" was a big to-do in general when it came out, I feel like it took a lot of the stigma off of the word sex for at least one generation.
.
My brother was grounded for playing Divynl's "I Touch Myself" my parents were so shocked by that chorus, running in to turn it off all red faced and frustrated. I was shocked when 2Pac straight up said 'I fucked your wife' on that track that sounded like BIG's Get Money.
.
Do you have any stories of a song lyric causing real life upset or genuinely shocking you?
if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/14/17 3:20pm

StrangeButTrue

avatar

Also a friend of mine liked to tell a story about getting sent home and suspended for wearing a tshirt that said I Wanna Sex You Up to middle school.
if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/14/17 5:13pm

MickyDolenz

There was a big fuss in the media about One In A Million by Guns n Roses. Someone in a record store was arrested for selling 2 Live Crew albums and group members were also arrested after a concert. The group was mentioned on TV a lot about free speech.

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/15/17 9:26am

paisleypark4

avatar

My dad refused to buy me The Hits / B-Sdes as a kid because a little song called "Scarlet Pussy" was on it. He said, "you're too young for that!!!" lol

I had to wait another year to dub it from my mom's boyfriend who had the tape to hear it LOL


Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/15/17 9:54am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Strange, how about that Me'chelle line: "The white man betta have one eye open." In person she is as sweet as taffy. She admitted she was posin.

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
"2freaky convinced me to join Antifa: OnlyNDA
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/15/17 10:01am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Angry Samoans, They Saved Hitler's Cock:

"They saved Hitler's cock, They hid it under a rock.
I discovered it, last night. I couldn't even, believe my eyes.

If Hitler's cock could start to talk, it would say: To kill today.
If Hitler's cock could choose it's mate, it would ask, for Sharon Tate!

They saved Hitler's cock. They stuffed it in Mengele's sock.
They saved Hitler's cock, and now it wants to talk.

Now it's starting to get hard, I found it in my backyard.
Every night it kills a dog, and now it wants, some night and fog
Hitler's cock is on the move, and now I'm scared of what it's gonna do! "

Pure classic lyrics.

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
"2freaky convinced me to join Antifa: OnlyNDA
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/15/17 5:50pm

COMPUTERBLUE19
84

Liz phair-HWC (heard the song once heavily edited back in 2003)
Black Korea-Ice Cube (for that matter, a few songs from Death Certicate)
Prince-Sexy MF (banned on MTV)
Vanilla Ice/Ice Ice Baby-Moreso for his steadfast denial of sampling Queen's "Another one bites the dust"
Lou Reed-Walk on the wild side ( at its time, it was for cutting edge, but I read something recently about a station pulling the song due to apparent transphobic lyrics)

Body Count-Cop killer
NWA-F the police
The Beatles-Helter Skelter (supposed inspiration for The Manson Family)

Many others,but these came to mind
"Old man's gotta be the old man. Fish has got to be the fish."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/15/17 6:38pm

ThePanther

avatar

Most controversial albums: In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew by Miles Davis (and Teo Macero, who probably did more work than Miles did).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/15/17 7:02pm

anc282

COMPUTERBLUE1984 said:

Liz phair-HWC (heard the song once heavily edited back in 2003) Black Korea-Ice Cube (for that matter, a few songs from Death Certicate) Prince-Sexy MF (banned on MTV) Vanilla Ice/Ice Ice Baby-Moreso for his steadfast denial of sampling Queen's "Another one bites the dust" Lou Reed-Walk on the wild side ( at its time, it was for cutting edge, but I read something recently about a station pulling the song due to apparent transphobic lyrics) Body Count-Cop killer NWA-F the police The Beatles-Helter Skelter (supposed inspiration for The Manson Family) Many others,but these came to mind

Really? 'Cause I saw it for the first time on MTV when they used to air it in Australia at the time.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/16/17 5:01am

COMPUTERBLUE19
84

anc282 said:



COMPUTERBLUE1984 said:


Liz phair-HWC (heard the song once heavily edited back in 2003) Black Korea-Ice Cube (for that matter, a few songs from Death Certicate) Prince-Sexy MF (banned on MTV) Vanilla Ice/Ice Ice Baby-Moreso for his steadfast denial of sampling Queen's "Another one bites the dust" Lou Reed-Walk on the wild side ( at its time, it was for cutting edge, but I read something recently about a station pulling the song due to apparent transphobic lyrics) Body Count-Cop killer NWA-F the police The Beatles-Helter Skelter (supposed inspiration for The Manson Family) Many others,but these came to mind


Really? 'Cause I saw it for the first time on MTV when they used to air it in Australia at the time.



I may be wrong but I believe in America it was pulled, so my statement should have been clearer
"Old man's gotta be the old man. Fish has got to be the fish."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/16/17 6:32am

DaveT

avatar

Prince - Darling Nikki



... silly thing is if they had dug further in to his back catalogue at the time they'd have found stuff that makes Nikki look postively quaint (Head, Sister, etc).

I remember blasting G'n'R when I was an angry teenager just because Shotgun Blues and Get In The Ring had a huge amount of naughty words! lol

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/16/17 8:12am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

Holy moley I had never heard of HWC by Liz Phair... She went there. Two mentions for GNR, any particular songs and stories?
if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/16/17 8:14am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

Strange, how about that Me'chelle line: "The white man betta have one eye open." In person she is as sweet as taffy. She admitted she was posin.


.
I like the song a lot as there are some unspoken truths going on there and subconscious biases that people don't like to say out loud. Same with "Hot Night" being "the first to say this fuck the first bitch who ever asks me to buy her some dumb shit" she sorta crystal balled the rampant materialism that has become a mainstay in literal commercial pop music.
if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/16/17 9:05am

COMPUTERBLUE19
84

StrangeButTrue said:

Holy moley I had never heard of HWC by Liz Phair... She went there. Two mentions for GNR, any particular songs and stories?


HWC was/is still pretty explicit.

The only song I remember from GnR being controversial is as One in a Million which I believed was deemed anti immigrant/racist due to the lyrics.
"Old man's gotta be the old man. Fish has got to be the fish."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/17/17 10:43am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Holocaust aside...ohoh

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
"2freaky convinced me to join Antifa: OnlyNDA
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/21/17 7:00pm

StrangeButTrue

avatar

I was recalling the lyrics to Aerosmith's Dude Looks Like A Lady with a friend the other day and the part about "she whipped out a gun and tried to blow me away" was pretty suggestive and controversial back in the day amirite? Same with the Love In The Elevator and all that talk about going down. I expected more racy stories about hearing crazy songs like Blowfly doing Shitting Off The Dock Of The Bay or Rap Nasty for instance. I remember NWA version of Automobile was dirty as hell too back when. I was like 11 listening to dudes beg for pussy neutral lol
if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/21/17 9:31pm

Free2BMe

"They Don't Care About Us"-Michael Jackson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Let's Talk About Controversial Songs