independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 17th Aug 2017 1:03am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > How did justin bieber get this big?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/19/17 1:00pm

nextedition

avatar

How did justin bieber get this big?

There are hardly any messages about justin bieber on the org, but the guy is extremely popular. He has the top 3 songs in america right now, more than 10 billion (!!!) views on youtube, Every song he releases goes number 1. He breaks record after record. Im fascinated how this all happened. And how i listen to his music all of a sudden since his Purpose album.
For someone who was so hated, he's doing really well.
So...whats his secret?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/19/17 1:49pm

Shawy89

avatar

Only one answer is correct: His fans. (Beliebers)

He has the biggest fanbase out of all pop sensations today, bigger than Beyoncé, bigger than Taylor Swift, bigger than One Direction... and probably bigger than The Beatles fans when they first made it big in the US.

Those fans literally buy everything he drops, whether it's a song, an album, merchandise... they spend 24 hours on social media retweeting his tweets, viewing his videos, basically promoting him... And also I've noticed he has fans in every part of the globe.

Also, those fans are basically aged between 8 years old and 16 years old, mostly girls..

One major reason why he's that big is him being constantly in the tabloids, just like Michael Jackson was... whether it's arrest for DUI or egging neighbors or spitting on fans.... there's always a JB story for the journalists to be occupied with.

As for his songs going number #1... That's not up to fans... I mean yes they buy his songs and all of that but that's never enough (One Direction's fanbase is also big as fuck but they never had a #1 hit)... For a song to go #1 on Hot 100 it needs to have: 1. Huge streaming points 2. Huge sales 3. Huge airplay data. The songs he did with DJ Khaled was frontloaded with BIG radio deals and streaming payola (Banners...etc) because DJ Khaled is rich as fuck and he knows everyone in the buisness. The song with Luis Fonsi (Despacito) was already popular worldwide and it took off in the US 20% because of Bieber's name on it and 80% because it's catchy as fuck. Now, Bieber is probably working on his LP and it's going to be BIG once it's released (Spotify deals, Apple Music deals, billboards everywhere).... but longevity? cultural influence? Only if the music is good... If he keeps doing EDM tropical dancehall themed songs, no one will care in the long run.

I gotta say, what a waste to have such popularity and 0% good music and 3% talent. All his songs scream dated and trendy... Nothing timeless. Pretty similar to Britney Spears.

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. - Buddha
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/19/17 1:53pm

MickyDolenz

He makes music that a lot of people, particularly teenaged girls like. There's been teen idols for many decades like early Frank Sinatra, Troy Donahue, Frankie Avalon & Annette Funicello, Ricky Nelson, Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Jackson 5, The Osmonds, Duran Duran, New Edition, N*SYNC, Kris Kross, Fifth Harmony, etc. Magazines like Bop, Right On!, & Tiger Beat was primarily for this teen audience with many photos that girls can put on their walls. It's been said that Top 40 has a really large female audience and they determine who is mainstream popular and the performers that get big hit singles on Top 40 & adult contemporary.

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/19/17 2:06pm

MickyDolenz

Shawy89 said:

One major reason why he's that big is him being constantly in the tabloids

That didn't help Bobby Brown's career. I don't think tabloids causes anyone to buy or like someone's music. More than likely the tabloids write their stories about celebrities that are already well known so that they can get as many people to buy their papers or click on thier site. Many people like gossip, going all the way back to Rona Barrett. The National Inquirer wouldn't have been around all this time without an audience that buys it.

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/19/17 2:38pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

U have 2 b a peace of shit.

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/19/17 3:03pm

Hudson

avatar

Girls like cute boys they dont (my apostrophe key is broken) like guys who look like me. Unlike Backstreet Boys/Nsync back in the day he does entire concerts shirtless. He does not have a bigger fanbase than Taylor Swift, she sells more albums and more concert tickets at higher prices.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/19/17 3:11pm

StrangeButTrue

avatar

She pretty. Give it a few years.
if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/19/17 3:26pm

MickyDolenz

It probably helped that Usher helped Justin and Ludacris was on one of his songs when he came out. They were really mainstream popular at the time. That's free promotion that modern acts have, getting featured on an already popular acts record or vice versa. It happens all the time with rap today.

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/19/17 3:52pm

EmmaMcG

Hudson said:

Girls like cute boys they dont (my apostrophe key is broken) like guys who look like me. Unlike Backstreet Boys/Nsync back in the day he does entire concerts shirtless. He does not have a bigger fanbase than Taylor Swift, she sells more albums and more concert tickets at higher prices.



I don't like him. Then again, I don't find him to be particularly cute. Especially after some wise ass orger (don't remember who) put up a picture of me and Beiber side by side saying we looked alike. smile
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/19/17 4:08pm

214

Because he is great and hot as hell, hot ass. Great songs as well, like Love Yourself.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/19/17 4:29pm

mnbvc

Shawy89 said:

I gotta say, what a waste to have such popularity and 0% good music and 3% talent. All his songs scream dated and trendy... Nothing timeless. Pretty similar to Britney Spears.

Her most memorable songs aren't timeless, except for Toxic, of course; no doubt in my mind, 100% a better song than Beyonce's Crazy in Love.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/19/17 4:38pm

SoulAlive

I have heard of him,but I honestly cannot name *one* song of his.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/19/17 5:24pm

mjscarousal

avatar

Shawy89 said:

Only one answer is correct: His fans. (Beliebers)

He has the biggest fanbase out of all pop sensations today, bigger than Beyoncé, bigger than Taylor Swift, bigger than One Direction... and probably bigger than The Beatles fans when they first made it big in the US.

Those fans literally buy everything he drops, whether it's a song, an album, merchandise... they spend 24 hours on social media retweeting his tweets, viewing his videos, basically promoting him... And also I've noticed he has fans in every part of the globe.

Also, those fans are basically aged between 8 years old and 16 years old, mostly girls..

One major reason why he's that big is him being constantly in the tabloids, just like Michael Jackson was... whether it's arrest for DUI or egging neighbors or spitting on fans.... there's always a JB story for the journalists to be occupied with.

As for his songs going number #1... That's not up to fans... I mean yes they buy his songs and all of that but that's never enough (One Direction's fanbase is also big as fuck but they never had a #1 hit)... For a song to go #1 on Hot 100 it needs to have: 1. Huge streaming points 2. Huge sales 3. Huge airplay data. The songs he did with DJ Khaled was frontloaded with BIG radio deals and streaming payola (Banners...etc) because DJ Khaled is rich as fuck and he knows everyone in the buisness. The song with Luis Fonsi (Despacito) was already popular worldwide and it took off in the US 20% because of Bieber's name on it and 80% because it's catchy as fuck. Now, Bieber is probably working on his LP and it's going to be BIG once it's released (Spotify deals, Apple Music deals, billboards everywhere).... but longevity? cultural influence? Only if the music is good... If he keeps doing EDM tropical dancehall themed songs, no one will care in the long run.

I gotta say, what a waste to have such popularity and 0% good music and 3% talent. All his songs scream dated and trendy... Nothing timeless. Pretty similar to Britney Spears.

Britney Spears definitly has classics.

ALSO, Bieber is NOT bigger than the Beatles c'mon Shawny LOL. For Bieber to be even in the same conversation as the Beatles, he would have had to have gone diamond (selling over 100 million) on ALL his releases. HOWEVER, he IS one of the biggest sellers of his era. Bieber has sold more albums than Beyonce and Rihanna combined and he has been out on the scene for just 7 years. I think that speaks to the magnitude of his popularity.

Bieber's success is a perfect example of the power of this social media age. If it wasnt for social media we wouldn't be talking about any of these stars. If this was the 80s or 90s, he would not be popular but to be fair neither would anybody else you listed.

Whether people on the org like him or not, he has a strong brand that people like and he has the receipts to back up his fame and success. I personally think there are more overrated singers than him. Bieber doesn't get any high honor awards or grammys. He is not critically acclaimed and no one is comparing him to legends.

[Edited 6/19/17 17:30pm]

Stand, you`ve been sitting much too long, there`s a permanent crease in your right or wrong.~Sly Stone
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/19/17 5:36pm

214

It's not that hard guys, once again the org in their drama time. He is a handsome guy, cute body and he and specially his producers make some catchy tunes, really catchy and good videos. What's so hard to understand?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/19/17 5:38pm

214

mnbvc said:

Shawy89 said:

I gotta say, what a waste to have such popularity and 0% good music and 3% talent. All his songs scream dated and trendy... Nothing timeless. Pretty similar to Britney Spears.

Her most memorable songs aren't timeless, except for Toxic, of course; no doubt in my mind, 100% a better song than Beyonce's Crazy in Love.

They are timeless, Baby One More Time, Oops I Did It Again, Overprotected, Sometimes and I'm A Slave 4 U.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/19/17 6:35pm

mnbvc

214 said:

mnbvc said:

Her most memorable songs aren't timeless, except for Toxic, of course; no doubt in my mind, 100% a better song than Beyonce's Crazy in Love.

They are timeless, Baby One More Time, Oops I Did It Again, Overprotected, Sometimes and I'm A Slave 4 U.

Others would point to some of her teen pop songs having dated production. Regardless, I did read that her catalog could be used for a Broadway musical, which I think is not really possible with her peers like Beyonce, P!nk or Christina Aguilera (and definately not Justin Bieber). Rihanna has more U.S. number #1s than Britney has U.S. top 10s but I don't see how her catalog could work for a Broadway show.

If the script is good, then it would be a highly successful show, unlike the attempt with the Spice Girls, for instance, who only have one real hit in Wannabe.

[Edited 6/19/17 18:38pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/19/17 6:43pm

mjscarousal

avatar

^ Britney doesn't have a lot of classics but she has a few but she has more pop cultural moments. Her first two albums IMO are the defining albums of the 00's. Rihanna has a pretty good catalog as well but none of her songs are defining. Maybe Umbrella but its not a classic like "Hit me Baby One More Time" I agree, Britney is the only one whose music could be made into a musical. The other girls have weak catalogs in comparision. Pink has a very good catalog though but she doesn't have a lot of classics.

[Edited 6/19/17 18:47pm]

Stand, you`ve been sitting much too long, there`s a permanent crease in your right or wrong.~Sly Stone
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/19/17 6:48pm

214

mjscarousal said:

^ Britney doesn't have a lot of classics but she has a few but she has more pop cultural moments. Her first two albums IMO are the defining albums of the 00's. Rihanna has a pretty good catalog as well but none of her songs are defining. Maybe Umbrella but its not a classic like "Hit me Baby One More Time" I agree, Britney is the only one whose music could be made into a musical. The other girls have weak catalogs in comparision. Pink has a very good catalog though but she doesn't have a lot of classics.

[Edited 6/19/17 18:47pm]

Umbrella is classic as much as Baby One More Time.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/20/17 6:19am

laurarichardso
n

nextedition said:

There are hardly any messages about justin bieber on the org, but the guy is extremely popular. He has the top 3 songs in america right now, more than 10 billion (!!!) views on youtube, Every song he releases goes number 1. He breaks record after record. Im fascinated how this all happened. And how i listen to his music all of a sudden since his Purpose album. For someone who was so hated, he's doing really well. So...whats his secret?

Teenage girls and he is no different than loads of other teen idols. His problem is going to transending being a teen idol because those girls are going to grow up and move on to other types of music.

He is going to get older and very few teen idols can keep that audience. I would say you have Prince, MJ and Frank Sinatra.

All teen idols who grew as artist and brought the fans along with them.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/20/17 8:24am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

He's a cookie cutter cardboard cutout cute guy who can hold a note and has a few connections in the industry. He started off as a teenybopper solo star and has now "matured" yet unlike the teenybopper acts of the past (Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, NKOTB), somehow he's managed to retain his fanbase and simply add to it (likely due to his youth; I'm actually 2 months older than he is).

Bieber is nothing special and it is kinda crazy how he's still relevant and having hits 7 years later but mediocrity thrives in this day and age.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/20/17 8:34am

nextedition

avatar

MotownSubdivision said:

He's a cookie cutter cardboard cutout cute guy who can hold a note and has a few connections in the industry. He started off as a teenybopper solo star and has now "matured" yet unlike the teenybopper acts of the past (Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, NKOTB), somehow he's managed to retain his fanbase and simply add to it (likely due to his youth; I'm actually 2 months older than he is).

Bieber is nothing special and it is kinda crazy how he's still relevant and having hits 7 years later but mediocrity thrives in this day and age.

I think this is what amazes me the most when you see him live, its the medicority. And people love it.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/20/17 8:39am

nextedition

avatar

214 said:

It's not that hard guys, once again the org in their drama time. He is a handsome guy, cute body and he and specially his producers make some catchy tunes, really catchy and good videos. What's so hard to understand?


If it was that simple a lot more guys would be that big. He's sells out arena's and stadiums around the world. And that after 7 years of fame. Its more than a cute face.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/20/17 8:58am

wonder505

I just watched two live clips of Justin performing. One of them was him doing a bad job lip synching to the cd playing and his other shows are the cd playing, dancers, a hype man and a bunch of video graphics. Must be a generational thing. I guess I'm too old to want to pay for that mess. I find shows like that boring. I do like, by my own admission, Sorry and Let Me Love You. They are catchy and sound great at parties but thats it.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/20/17 9:07am

paisleypark4

avatar

He keeps himself seen, relatively he put out some big hits the prior year especially Sorry which was a great single and shows he has versatility. He is not the best of the best but like somebody said, his fan base is strong.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/20/17 10:21am

MickyDolenz

wonder505 said:

his other shows are the cd playing, dancers, a hype man and a bunch of video graphics. Must be a generational thing.

Huge crowds go to EDM festivals, in which some of the acts are DJs playing records/CDs or pushing buttons with a light show.


It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/20/17 10:27am

MickyDolenz

paisleypark4 said:

He keeps himself seen

Works for these people lol

http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/scalefit_720_noupscale/57e44f18180000c70631687e.jpeg


It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/20/17 11:22am

laurarichardso
n

MickyDolenz said:

wonder505 said:

his other shows are the cd playing, dancers, a hype man and a bunch of video graphics. Must be a generational thing.

Huge crowds go to EDM festivals, in which some of the acts are DJs playing records/CDs or pushing buttons with a light show.


Suckers are born every minute and someone has to take their money. Oh these guys are not really DJs.

Pushing a button is not real DJing.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/20/17 11:44am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

nextedition said:

214 said:

It's not that hard guys, once again the org in their drama time. He is a handsome guy, cute body and he and specially his producers make some catchy tunes, really catchy and good videos. What's so hard to understand?


If it was that simple a lot more guys would be that big. He's sells out arena's and stadiums around the world. And that after 7 years of fame. Its more than a cute face.
Yeah, just check out his Grammy performance from last year. He gives The Weeknd a run for his money when it comes to looking inept onstage.

It's kind of funny how most of the pretty teen idol boy groups of the past actually possessed musical talent to varying degrees. They could sing and/or dance and a few even wrote their own songs yet it seems they were lambasted much harder than the acts of the same variety today who generally aren't as talented and do less.

I'm sure there was some equivalent of Bieber, 1D, Austin Mahone or Shaun Mendes in the 80's and 90's but if you if you were to compare the predecessors to the genuine articles, the predecessors would be more appreciated.

Neither of these artists are cut from the same cloth as the aforementioned but I'll take Phil Collins dominating the charts over Ed Sheeran doing the same any day.
[Edited 6/20/17 11:46am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/20/17 11:59am

Shawy89

avatar

mjscarousal said:

Shawy89 said:

Only one answer is correct: His fans. (Beliebers)

He has the biggest fanbase out of all pop sensations today, bigger than Beyoncé, bigger than Taylor Swift, bigger than One Direction... and probably bigger than The Beatles fans when they first made it big in the US.

Those fans literally buy everything he drops, whether it's a song, an album, merchandise... they spend 24 hours on social media retweeting his tweets, viewing his videos, basically promoting him... And also I've noticed he has fans in every part of the globe.

Also, those fans are basically aged between 8 years old and 16 years old, mostly girls..

One major reason why he's that big is him being constantly in the tabloids, just like Michael Jackson was... whether it's arrest for DUI or egging neighbors or spitting on fans.... there's always a JB story for the journalists to be occupied with.

As for his songs going number #1... That's not up to fans... I mean yes they buy his songs and all of that but that's never enough (One Direction's fanbase is also big as fuck but they never had a #1 hit)... For a song to go #1 on Hot 100 it needs to have: 1. Huge streaming points 2. Huge sales 3. Huge airplay data. The songs he did with DJ Khaled was frontloaded with BIG radio deals and streaming payola (Banners...etc) because DJ Khaled is rich as fuck and he knows everyone in the buisness. The song with Luis Fonsi (Despacito) was already popular worldwide and it took off in the US 20% because of Bieber's name on it and 80% because it's catchy as fuck. Now, Bieber is probably working on his LP and it's going to be BIG once it's released (Spotify deals, Apple Music deals, billboards everywhere).... but longevity? cultural influence? Only if the music is good... If he keeps doing EDM tropical dancehall themed songs, no one will care in the long run.

I gotta say, what a waste to have such popularity and 0% good music and 3% talent. All his songs scream dated and trendy... Nothing timeless. Pretty similar to Britney Spears.

Britney Spears definitly has classics.

ALSO, Bieber is NOT bigger than the Beatles c'mon Shawny LOL. For Bieber to be even in the same conversation as the Beatles, he would have had to have gone diamond (selling over 100 million) on ALL his releases. HOWEVER, he IS one of the biggest sellers of his era. Bieber has sold more albums than Beyonce and Rihanna combined and he has been out on the scene for just 7 years. I think that speaks to the magnitude of his popularity.

Bieber's success is a perfect example of the power of this social media age. If it wasnt for social media we wouldn't be talking about any of these stars. If this was the 80s or 90s, he would not be popular but to be fair neither would anybody else you listed.

Whether people on the org like him or not, he has a strong brand that people like and he has the receipts to back up his fame and success. I personally think there are more overrated singers than him. Bieber doesn't get any high honor awards or grammys. He is not critically acclaimed and no one is comparing him to legends.

[Edited 6/19/17 17:30pm]

I didn't compare Biebs to Beatles in terms of commercial success, but rather how popular he is in terms of fanbase. Literally he is the most followed artist by the paparazzi, the most followed male on social media.

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. - Buddha
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/20/17 12:02pm

Shawy89

avatar

MotownSubdivision said:

nextedition said:
If it was that simple a lot more guys would be that big. He's sells out arena's and stadiums around the world. And that after 7 years of fame. Its more than a cute face.
Yeah, just check out his Grammy performance from last year. He gives The Weeknd a run for his money when it comes to looking inept onstage. It's kind of funny how most of the pretty teen idol boy groups of the past actually possessed musical talent to varying degrees. They could sing and/or dance and a few even wrote their own songs yet it seems they were lambasted much harder than the acts of the same variety today who generally aren't as talented and do less. I'm sure there was some equivalent of Bieber, 1D, Austin Mahone or Shaun Mendes in the 80's and 90's but if you if you were to compare the predecessors to the genuine articles, the predecessors would be more appreciated. Neither of these artists are cut from the same cloth as the aforementioned but I'll take Phil Collins dominating the charts over Ed Sheeran doing the same any day. [Edited 6/20/17 11:46am]

Exactly!! This is why I said that the only reason Bieber is still relevant, opposed to the irrelevance of Backstreet Boys or N Sync after just 4 years of being big, is because his fans love him to death, they've been there for him since late 09, almost ten years later and their number has doubled if not tripled... And of course as you said, if we're speaking talent, Backstreet Boys for example had a lot of talent compared to Bieber, I said once they actually had soul, they sang and they could sing very well... Teen idols had to have charm + talent to make it, but since Britney Spears made it with 1 octave vocal range then Bieber can...

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. - Buddha
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > How did justin bieber get this big?