independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 21st Aug 2017 2:26pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > The Vocal Range of Michael Jackson (Post-Puberty)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/02/17 1:12am

HAPPYPERSON

The Vocal Range of Michael Jackson (Post-Puberty)

Armed with incredible singing, dancing and performing skills, the late Michael Jackson definitely deserved the title 'The King of Pop'. His various vocal stylings, combined with the classic falsetto yelps and hiccup nuances, made him one of the most recognizable voices in the history of music, and he used his singing voice in a very rhythmic manner, kind of like a more melodic beatboxer.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/02/17 6:11am

Dasein

HAPPYPERSON said:

Armed with incredible singing, dancing and performing skills, the late Michael Jackson definitely deserved the title 'The King of Pop'. His various vocal stylings, combined with the classic falsetto yelps and hiccup nuances, made him one of the most recognizable voices in the history of music, and he used his singing voice in a very rhythmic manner, kind of like a more melodic beatboxer.


Yes!

Jackson didn't possess a supernatural vocal range, but he had a pretty voice nonetheless. My favorite
MJ vocal performance is "Rock With You" as his tenor is effortless and there is only a modicum of those
vocal yelps and hiccups he later used extravagantly.

In the same song, as it is fading out, MJ's refrain "rock with you, rock with you, . . . yeah" reflects how
much power he had - dude is one of my favorite vocalists of all time, next to Paul McCartney, K-Ci Hailey,
Kenny Loggins, Elliott Smith, and Bobby Womack.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/05/17 8:40am

paisleypark4

avatar

Anyone who attempts to sing a Michael Jackson song doesnt sound right because his voice was too unique as a man by that point.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/05/17 5:34pm

heathilly

Second to none his voice was truly not of this world as was his dancing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/05/17 10:00pm

bboy87

avatar

Just here to post some acapella tracks smile

"We may deify or demonize them but not ignore them. And we call them genius, because they are the people who change the world."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/06/17 5:33am

ZafDilek

Michael Jackson's vocals tend to get overlooked because he was such an out of this world dancer, which is what most people focus on when they think of him.

I think vocally he was at his peak from 87-97. Although I think he lost some of his smoothness (think Baby Be Mine, The Lady In My Life) he was singing with a more natural deeper voice and was more versatile, having mastered that gritty style he started doing mainly from Bad onwards. I was disappointed by the vocals on Invincible. It contained some nice moments but his voice often sounded strained as well.

Live his peak was from 78 to 87.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/06/17 9:12am

bboy87

avatar

"We may deify or demonize them but not ignore them. And we call them genius, because they are the people who change the world."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/06/17 9:55am

HAPPYPERSON

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/06/17 11:34am

mjscarousal

avatar

Michael is my favorite singer ever and he is super underrated as a singer. His showmanship, performances, creating music videos and dancing often overshadows his unique talent as a singer but he was just as exceptional as a singer as all of the above. He is by far one of the greatest singers of all time. I love all his vocals and singing from child up until his adulthood. Michael's tone and vocal range is unique and one of a kind as well as his vocal acrobatics and nuances which were also original. Above all else, he was the King of emoting, soul, personality, style and versatility in terms of vocals and singing. His voice is like butter and who ever said Michael was straining on Invincible, that is completely not true. Michael was sangging on Butterflies and Speechless.

One of my fav live vocal performances that I always find myself revisting.

There is a difference between picking up a mic and being able to sing versus being blessed with the ability to touch people with your voice and really move people with your voice and Michael is a member of a very small rare group that is able to do that.

Stand, you`ve been sitting much too long, there`s a permanent crease in your right or wrong.~Sly Stone
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/06/17 2:30pm

214

mjscarousal said:

Michael is my favorite singer ever and he is super underrated as a singer. His showmanship, performances, creating music videos and dancing often overshadows his unique talent as a singer but he was just as exceptional as a singer as all of the above. He is by far one of the greatest singers of all time. I love all his vocals and singing from child up until his adulthood. Michael's tone and vocal range is unique and one of a kind as well as his vocal acrobatics and nuances which were also original. Above all else, he was the King of emoting, soul, personality, style and versatility in terms of vocals and singing. His voice is like butter and who ever said Michael was straining on Invincible, that is completely not true. Michael was sangging on Butterflies and Speechless.

One of my fav live vocal performances that I always find myself revisting.

There is a difference between picking up a mic and being able to sing versus being blessed with the ability to touch people with your voice and really move people with your voice and Michael is a member of a very small rare group that is able to do that.

His voice is heavenly made. To me this performance is one of his greatest performances in his carreer,

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/06/17 3:38pm

Dasein

Michael Jackson burst on the scene as a child because he had a remarkable voice. He went on
to become one of the most influential vocalists of pop music. So this idea that he was underrated
and unheralded as a singer is kinda ridiculous.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/06/17 4:59pm

liljojo

Wish everyone understood that dude been singing nonstop since like what 4-5 yrs old 1963 and up and professionally since so that's what 21yrs of singing by the time we get to the victory tour which is 1984 and then 30 yrs by the time we get to the end of the bad tour 3rd leg which is 1989. Not many people sound great less decent at about 10yrs of nonstop singing and touring. Props to him, maybe the weed got next to him that the hip-hop stars was smoking at the time from 1987 - 2007. Y'all don't know, them hip hop cats and R&B new class from 2001 to present have the entire studio floor smelling. I used to try to produce but it's hard to get the artist attention when a strange woman or women come in and start sucking or licking on the artist, or they are high and drunk as ish. I think the worst experience I had is when Game the rapper and 50 cent was beefing and game kept looking out the door while me and my cousin was working on some beats with the engineer. So I go

Jojo: Yo' Jay (The game name is Jayceon so I call him Jay) what's good partna?

Game: "Looking out the door" Nuthin' Joe, I'm good lil'homie.

Jojo: Why you keep looking out the door like you nervous about something then?

Game: "Still looking out the door" Oh, waiting some peeps. smile It's good lil'homie

Jojo: "Start picking up my stuff" Some peeps you said?

Game: Yeah, just checkin' for some N-words. it's cool Joe fall back, just fall back. I got this!

Jojo: Yeah, okay......Look got to pickup some meds for my grandma (lie) cuz you coming or not?

My cosuin: Hmmm, naw I'm going to stay and finish the track.

3 days later at some studio, I think it was Hot 97 that gun fight broke out and someone from game team got killed. I can't work like that so I left trying to be producer altogether. Sad thing is the game is a real good dude behind close doors and so are a lot of other artists.

Just so you all know the track we was working on was called "It's got to be more to life" later changed to "Life" on his Documentary 2.5 album. Sad it couldn't be released on the LAX album due to getting approval from Clive Davis them for whitney You Give Good Love sample and I really wish Whitney could've heard it before she passed. But as fans we have to start learning to appreciate our idols while they are here. I really hate I didn't see whitney live with Shirley Caesar, Bebe & Cece Winans, Yolanda Adams, Fred Hammond with Commissioned, and The Clark Sisters at the COGIC and COGBF church annual conventions. I've only seen Whitney live with the Winans in church and I was 5yrs old 1990. So I really didn't know she was a star at that time, but she always sang differently than on her albums in church. Do anyone know why that was? I've heard stories about Clive telling her to sing more pop-ish and not soulful. Is that true? Michael, Prince, and Whitney I feel all suffered from being so talented and businesses trying to make a Holy Grail out of them and not letting them use their gift and exercise their gifts due to monetary reasons. If artists was able to work with freedom and not bondaries and chains we would all experience special albums but the industry that like growth they don't understand. I'm going to stop there before I get in trouble. But everything said, shown on edited TV, and books ain't always true.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/07/17 9:14am

Dasein

^

The greatest Org post of all time.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/07/17 2:05pm

214

Dasein said:

^

The greatest Org post of all time.

Over the top statement.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/07/17 2:40pm

mjscarousal

avatar

bboy87 said:

Beautiful cry I miss him so much

Stand, you`ve been sitting much too long, there`s a permanent crease in your right or wrong.~Sly Stone
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/07/17 3:23pm

liljojo

214 said:

Dasein said:

^

The greatest Org post of all time.

Over the top statement.



214 all I have to say to you is .............





Hope you laugh lol and much love 214

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/07/17 3:36pm

214

liljojo said:

214 said:

Over the top statement.



214 all I have to say to you is .............





Hope you laugh lol and much love 214

I have nothing to say to you.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/08/17 11:23pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

bboy87 said:

Just here to post some acapella tracks smile

Nice thumbs up!

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/09/17 5:52pm

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

avatar

The thing that intrigues me most is that Michael lost his soulful ability as an adult. He never sang like this as an adult.

2010: Healing the Wounds of the Past.... http://prince.org/msg/8/325740
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/09/17 6:00pm

luvsexy4all

hated it...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/10/17 4:35am

Chancellor

avatar

Had he been Pushed years ago I think Justin Bieber could have sang all of young Michael's songs...Justin is a 1st Tenor like Michael and I think he could do justice by some of Mike's later work as well...

I know y'all think I'm playing but I am very serious...Justin sings a lot of Pop crap but the young man has a nice singing voice...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/10/17 9:11am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

ZafDilek said:

Michael Jackson's vocals tend to get overlooked because he was such an out of this world dancer, which is what most people focus on when they think of him.

I think vocally he was at his peak from 87-97. Although I think he lost some of his smoothness (think Baby Be Mine, The Lady In My Life) he was singing with a more natural deeper voice and was more versatile, having mastered that gritty style he started doing mainly from Bad onwards. I was disappointed by the vocals on Invincible. It contained some nice moments but his voice often sounded strained as well.

Live his peak was from 78 to 87.

MJ had respiratory problems which probably affected his vocal performance later in life. Not that I ever noticed anything wrong.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/10/17 10:54am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

SupaFunkyOrgangrinderSexy said:

The thing that intrigues me most is that Michael lost his soulful ability as an adult. He never sang like this as an adult.

Mike still had soul as an adult; his vocals were buttery smooth until post-Bad.

As a kid however, his voice was indeed steeped in soul.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/10/17 1:19pm

liljojo

Chancellor said:

Had he been Pushed years ago I think Justin Bieber could have sang all of young Michael's songs...Justin is a 1st Tenor like Michael and I think he could do justice by some of Mike's later work as well...

I know y'all think I'm playing but I am very serious...Justin sings a lot of Pop crap but the young man has a nice singing voice...



I think justin bieber has a better chance of covering Foster Sylvers "Misdemeanor" than any of Lil'Mike material.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/10/17 2:47pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Forgive them Prince.

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/10/17 3:26pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

Forgive them Prince.

Prince isn't the only talented artist in music.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/10/17 3:41pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

MotownSubdivision said:

2freaky4church1 said:

Forgive them Prince.

Prince isn't the only talented artist in music.

Image result for prince side eye

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/10/17 5:48pm

luvsexy4all

MotownSubdivision said:

2freaky4church1 said:

Forgive them Prince.

Prince isn't the only talented artist in music.

yeh but that doesnt mean we have to like his voice

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/10/17 5:56pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

luvsexy4all said:



MotownSubdivision said:


2freaky4church1 said:

Forgive them Prince.



Prince isn't the only talented artist in music.

yeh but that doesnt mean we have to like his voice

Yeah but who told you you had to?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/10/17 5:58pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:



MotownSubdivision said:


2freaky4church1 said:

Forgive them Prince.



Prince isn't the only talented artist in music.

Image result for prince side eye

What?So you think Prince was the only talented person in music?

Sorry to disappoint you.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > The Vocal Range of Michael Jackson (Post-Puberty)