independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 19th Oct 2017 6:18pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Goldfrapp
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/01/17 3:42am

Glindathegood

Goldfrapp

Anyone here a fan?

Their new album Silver Eye came out yesterday and I love it. It's one of the best new albums I've bought in a long time.

It is more of a return to their uptempo electronica similiar to Black Cherry and Supernature, although with a few downtempo songs.

I just think they are an amazing and innovative artist who changes their sound with each album, yet it almost always works!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/01/17 8:33am

kygermo

I like Goldfrapp. I can't sit here and talk shop with you about them, but there's a couple tracks that I really dig (mostly from their first album). I only wish I could have discovered them about 8 years sooner since at that time in my life, I was obsessed with downtempo and ambient music in general. Goldfrapp would have flipped my script. I noticed they dropped a new album yesterday, too. However, I'm so stuck on the new Jamiroquai album that I may have to force myself to stop jamming it and give the new GF a listen. How is it? You like? And if you're a GF fan, do you like Tosca? They're not entirely similiar, but in the same ballpark I'd reckon.

"Thin line 'tween Heaven and Here..."

When I can (or when the mood strikes), I write stuff on a blog I've created. Mostly music-related. Site link here: rockhardinafunkyplace.wordpress.com
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/01/17 9:44am

Lammastide

avatar

I pre-orded Silver Eye months back and am thrilled with the new album.

At first listen, it struck me as a bit more chilled out than expected. I first heard it during an 8-hour evening drive, and while I enjoyed the entire album, I was finding it tougher -- not easier -- to stay awake for listening. lol

That said, with each subsequent listen, I'm finding the album has a lovely, if subdued, energy. Very little filler, a masterful connection of their synthpop and more folksy sounds, and definitely worth the wait.

Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/02/17 6:04am

Lammastide

avatar

Sexton here had planned to attend their Roundhouse show in London last week. I'm eager to read a review as there's some chance I could catch one of their upcoming U.S. shows.

Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/02/17 10:34am

Glindathegood

Lammastide said:

Sexton here had planned to attend their Roundhouse show in London last week. I'm eager to read a review as there's some chance I could catch one of their upcoming U.S. shows.

I've seen them live several times. They are great live! Definitely catch them if you can.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/03/17 2:08pm

sexton

avatar

Lammastide said:

Sexton here had planned to attend their Roundhouse show in London last week. I'm eager to read a review as there's some chance I could catch one of their upcoming U.S. shows.


If the Brooklyn shows are like the Roundhouse gig then definitely go. The visuals chosen for the background screens worked very well with the new songs. Brooklyn Steel is a new venue so I don't know if they will be able to replicate the same futuristic vibe there yet. My photos don't do the show justice at all.





  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/03/17 4:14pm

Glindathegood

Amazing pictures! I have tickets to the Brooklyn show! I am looking forward to it. I am also seeing PJ Harvey there the week before.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/03/17 4:25pm

Lammastide

avatar

Excellent! I'll look into booking a trip to see the New York or Philly show.

Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/04/17 2:29pm

sexton

avatar

Thank you to both of you! Below is a photo of the Roundhouse setlist if you like knowing what to expect.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/04/17 7:16pm

Lammastide

avatar

sexton said:

Thank you to both of you! Below is a photo of the Roundhouse setlist if you like knowing what to expect.


Nice. Certainly can't be angry at this setlist, though it would be cool to have seen stuff from Seventh Tree and Tales of Us.

Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/05/17 2:43pm

sexton

avatar

Lammastide said:


Nice. Certainly can't be angry at this setlist, though it would be cool to have seen stuff from Seventh Tree and Tales of Us.


The slower albums got lots of attention during the last tour (only one North American date in NYC I believe) so it seems natural the band will focus on songs from the dancier releases this time around.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/05/17 5:42pm

Lammastide

avatar

sexton said:

Lammastide said:


Nice. Certainly can't be angry at this setlist, though it would be cool to have seen stuff from Seventh Tree and Tales of Us.


The slower albums got lots of attention during the last tour (only one North American date in NYC I believe) so it seems natural the band will focus on songs from the dancier releases this time around.


Makes sense.

Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/16/17 9:10am

Lammastide

avatar

it's official. I'm headed to Goldfrapp's Philly show! dancing jig boogie woot!

Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/16/17 9:52am

LondonIrish197
0

I've seen them live 5 times and they have always been great. The changing styles are always interesting.

I remember when they toured the Black Cherry album and Alison walked out onto the stage to start the gig at Hammersmith with I Would Die 4 U blasting out over the PA.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/17/17 8:32am

sexton

avatar

LondonIrish1970 said:

I've seen them live 5 times and they have always been great. The changing styles are always interesting. I remember when they toured the Black Cherry album and Alison walked out onto the stage to start the gig at Hammersmith with I Would Die 4 U blasting out over the PA.

I saw Goldfrapp during the Black Cherry tour as well. I will always remember the cannons shooting confetti out into the audience during the title track.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/01/17 6:53pm

sexton

avatar

Lammastide said:

it's official. I'm headed to Goldfrapp's Philly show! dancing jig boogie woot!


So how was it? biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/02/17 11:07am

Glindathegood

I took the train up to NYC to see them. It was totally worth the trip! The set list was a nice mix of the new album and older material.

Alison was in a great mood. She thanked everyone that came a long way to see them.

The venue Brooklyn Steel is almost brand new. It has a great sound system and is quite large. The crowd was really into it. Everyone was very cool and friendly. We got really close to the stage and there was no unpleasant pushing and shoving.

I hope they do a more extensive tour later.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/02/17 2:02pm

sexton

avatar

Glindathegood said:

I took the train up to NYC to see them. It was totally worth the trip! The set list was a nice mix of the new album and older material.

Alison was in a great mood. She thanked everyone that came a long way to see them.

The venue Brooklyn Steel is almost brand new. It has a great sound system and is quite large. The crowd was really into it. Everyone was very cool and friendly. We got really close to the stage and there was no unpleasant pushing and shoving.

I hope they do a more extensive tour later.


The first Brooklyn show had a few sound and screen glitches. The second night was perfect! I was at the very front against the railing for the second night. Here are more photos I took of both Brooklyn shows:













  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/02/17 3:38pm

Glindathegood

Great pictures. I was at the first show, but I honestly did not notice the technical glitches because I was so in awe.

I was also lucky to get really close to that stage. She really has incredible charisma. I think they are the type of act that you really need to get up close to fully appreciate.

I hope they tour more and come here to DC.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/03/17 9:15pm

Lammastide

avatar

sexton said:

Lammastide said:

it's official. I'm headed to Goldfrapp's Philly show! dancing jig boogie woot!


So how was it? biggrin


It was awesome.

Alison made the remark that the Philly show was a "warm up" (presumably for NYC). I couldn't help but wonder if that might leave the room feeling a bit like mere guinea pigs, but they loved her!

The limitations of the venue meant the visuals weren't as fancy as London or NYC's, but it wasn't too big of a loss. And except for a few minor glitches -- the synth track for "Systemagic" was initially miscued, and Alison's mic took on some crazy feedback on a couple occasions -- the band sounded great.

The room definitely was dancing, and I think the relatively small size of the space made for excellent play between Alison and the crowd.

Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/05/17 8:10pm

Telecaster5

avatar

Never seen them live, but I also like Goldfrapp. I just loved Felt Mountain and felt suprised when I heard Black Cherry and Supernature. A completely diferent vibe but Oh La La and U never Know hooked me. Must catch up with this new album.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/15/17 6:59pm

sexton

avatar

Lammastide said:

sexton said:


So how was it? biggrin


It was awesome.

Alison made the remark that the Philly show was a "warm up" (presumably for NYC). I couldn't help but wonder if that might leave the room feeling a bit like mere guinea pigs, but they loved her!

The limitations of the venue meant the visuals weren't as fancy as London or NYC's, but it wasn't too big of a loss. And except for a few minor glitches -- the synth track for "Systemagic" was initially miscued, and Alison's mic took on some crazy feedback on a couple occasions -- the band sounded great.

The room definitely was dancing, and I think the relatively small size of the space made for excellent play between Alison and the crowd.


Great to hear you had an awesome time! Maybe they will do a proper North American tour later this year.

A video for "Systemagic" has been out for a few weeks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/15/17 9:01pm

Lammastide

avatar

sexton said:

Lammastide said:


It was awesome.

Alison made the remark that the Philly show was a "warm up" (presumably for NYC). I couldn't help but wonder if that might leave the room feeling a bit like mere guinea pigs, but they loved her!

The limitations of the venue meant the visuals weren't as fancy as London or NYC's, but it wasn't too big of a loss. And except for a few minor glitches -- the synth track for "Systemagic" was initially miscued, and Alison's mic took on some crazy feedback on a couple occasions -- the band sounded great.

The room definitely was dancing, and I think the relatively small size of the space made for excellent play between Alison and the crowd.


Great to hear you had an awesome time! Maybe they will do a proper North American tour later this year.

A video for "Systemagic" has been out for a few weeks.


nod The video dropped the same night as the concert. I believe Alison directed it, correct? I think it's pretty awesome.

Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Goldfrapp