independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 22nd Jan 2018 9:57pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > George Michael, Madonna, Bon Jovi, MJ, and many others were considered 80's music, but most 80's music was PRINCE!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/26/17 7:36pm

cjmc2006

George Michael, Madonna, Bon Jovi, MJ, and many others were considered 80's music, but most 80's music was PRINCE!

AM I RIGHT?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/26/17 8:08pm

bluegangsta

avatar

They all played their part.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/26/17 8:47pm

MickyDolenz

Thousands of acts all over the world released music in the 1980s, so how can most of it be Prince (or anyone else)? Did he release more records than everybody else combined? Even if that was possible, that wouldn't be most, maybe half. lol

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. ~ Johnnie Taylor
If a person can't get in a vehicle and actually do it, then it shouldn't be filmed. ~ John Schneider on CGI car stunts
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/26/17 10:14pm

TrivialPursuit

bluegangsta said:

They all played their part.


I'd agree. And let's be clear. Bon Jovi led the pack with hair bands, dare I say more than Motley Crue or any other rock band or heavy metal act. Slippery When Wet was their Thriller. You couldn't get way from it.

I don't know who said that about GM, but while he was huge with Faith, that album didn't come out until 1987, so 2/3 of the decade was over already. Wham! had some US hits, but were much larger in the UK.

Madonna - definitely on the same plateau as Prince, and MJ. Like A Virgin, True Blue, Purple Rain, Thriller and Bad are watershed moments in the decade, starting from 1982, right through to 1987. Hell, even Like A Prayer was released in 1989, and bookended the decade.

Prince had his surge with PR, and while us fans were certainly in touch with subsequent projects, the general public wasn't humming "The Ballad of Dorothy Parker" or "If I Was Your Girlfriend". "U Got The Look" is the thing that kept him relevant, as did "Kiss", and "Alphabet St". Because again, ask someone if they know "I Wish U Heaven" instead of "Alphabet St.". Yes, he released an album a year, but didn't have nearly the hit he did with Purple Rain. His average sales always (to that point) leveled around 3M records. After, they might have gone up a bit, but he certainly wasn't on radio with SOTT or Lovesexy the way BAD turned out 5 Billboard Hot 100 #1 singles. The only other album to do that...wait for it... is Katy Perry's Teenage Dream.

So no, most 80s music was not Prince music. To us, he was everywhere. To radio and the charts, he was hit n' run.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/26/17 11:06pm

Tontoman22

cjmc2006 said:

AM I RIGHT?

Prince was the most prolific artist of the decade. He was billboard #1 artist followed by Hall & Oates, Billy Joel, Madonna and MJ. On the World Scene - Prince was also the top artist (With 5 # 1 Albums, and 28 top 20 singles) Madonna was second ( 3 #1 Albums and 23 top 20 singles), U2 was 3rd ( 4 #1 Albums, and 17 top 20 singles), MJ was 4th ( 2 # 1 Albums and 24 top 20 singles). Bruce Springsteen was 5th ( 3 #1 Albums and 16 top 20 singles). Prince also made had many of his songs covered by other artist - most notably Cyndi Lauper - When U Were Mine, Melissa Morgan - Do Me Baby, The Bagnles - Manic Monday... Sheena Easton - Strutt. And of course record in 1989 by a huge hit in 90 Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares to U. He was pretty much everywhere in the 80's.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/26/17 11:53pm

MickyDolenz

Tontoman22 said:

Prince was the most prolific artist of the decade.

So you know every single performer in all countries, genres, and languages on Earth who released music in the 1980s to determine this?

https://68.media.tumblr.com/c0f64a575912ec329e41f4f9264229a1/tumblr_inline_ofujqqN96p1qlnipm_500.gif


It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. ~ Johnnie Taylor
If a person can't get in a vehicle and actually do it, then it shouldn't be filmed. ~ John Schneider on CGI car stunts
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/27/17 11:27am

namepeace

TrivialPursuit said:

bluegangsta said:

They all played their part.


I'd agree. And let's be clear. Bon Jovi led the pack with hair bands, dare I say more than Motley Crue or any other rock band or heavy metal act. Slippery When Wet was their Thriller. You couldn't get way from it.

I don't know who said that about GM, but while he was huge with Faith, that album didn't come out until 1987, so 2/3 of the decade was over already. Wham! had some US hits, but were much larger in the UK.

Madonna - definitely on the same plateau as Prince, and MJ. Like A Virgin, True Blue, Purple Rain, Thriller and Bad are watershed moments in the decade, starting from 1982, right through to 1987. Hell, even Like A Prayer was released in 1989, and bookended the decade.

Prince had his surge with PR, and while us fans were certainly in touch with subsequent projects, the general public wasn't humming "The Ballad of Dorothy Parker" or "If I Was Your Girlfriend". "U Got The Look" is the thing that kept him relevant, as did "Kiss", and "Alphabet St". Because again, ask someone if they know "I Wish U Heaven" instead of "Alphabet St.". Yes, he released an album a year, but didn't have nearly the hit he did with Purple Rain. His average sales always (to that point) leveled around 3M records. After, they might have gone up a bit, but he certainly wasn't on radio with SOTT or Lovesexy the way BAD turned out 5 Billboard Hot 100 #1 singles. The only other album to do that...wait for it... is Katy Perry's Teenage Dream.

So no, most 80s music was not Prince music. To us, he was everywhere. To radio and the charts, he was hit n' run.



I smell clickbait, and doggone it, I fell for it. lol

I agree wholeheartedly. For most of the 80's, I felt the musical universe revolved around Prince and was frustrated with those who stopped listening after Purple Rain and a few radio hits.

But a simple review of my 80's smart playlist on iTunes shows there were more than a few big fish in the big pond of that era.

From New Wave to Rap to even New Jack, there were plenty of sounds that define the era.

You can't tell the whole story of 1980's Music without Prince, but there's a ton of material left even if you could.


Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/27/17 11:35am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

cjmc2006 said:

AM I RIGHT?

no, I mean these people got their first and 2nd peeks of fame here as a result

Whitney Houston Sade Cindy Lauper Janet Jackson...

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/27/17 11:36am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

No, you're wrong.

There was far, far, far too much going on musically in the 1980s to claim Prince was the center of it all.
[Edited 3/27/17 11:37am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/28/17 5:55pm

cjmc2006

What I meant about this statement was most 80s artist are known because of hit songs where PRINCE was known for creating a SOUND. He is def one of the least disposable(alongside MJ) artists that was big n the 80s.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/28/17 7:23pm

Shawy89

avatar

MotownSubdivision said:

No, you're wrong. There was far, far, far too much going on musically in the 1980s to claim Prince was the center of it all. [Edited 3/27/17 11:37am]

Co-sign.

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. - Buddha
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/29/17 5:35am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

cjmc2006 said:

What I meant about this statement was most 80s artist are known because of hit songs where PRINCE was known for creating a SOUND. He is def one of the least disposable(alongside MJ) artists that was big n the 80s.

You should word your sentences better.

Anyway, the Minneapolis sound was white hot in the 80s and there were many acts/ Prince clones who cashed in on it but the Minneapolis sound is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to music of the 1980s. Is it a bigger drop than others? Sure but its still just a drop.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/29/17 6:40pm

spacedolphin

avatar

music
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/29/17 9:52pm

heathilly

Dumb thread is dumb. confused
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/31/17 10:02am

Se7en

avatar

I wouldn't dismiss everyone else just to elevate Prince. They all influenced each other. Friendly competition which resulted in better music all around.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/31/17 4:49pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

Se7en said:

I wouldn't dismiss everyone else just to elevate Prince. They all influenced each other. Friendly competition which resulted in better music all around.



Thank you.

I realize this is Prince's fansite but that doesn't mean everything music revolves around him.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 04/01/17 12:05pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

This is a case for the wayback machine...

Image result for the wayback machine 1980

Has the hunter now become the prey?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 04/01/17 5:09pm

Missmusicluver
72

Se7en said:

I wouldn't dismiss everyone else just to elevate Prince. They all influenced each other. Friendly competition which resulted in better music all around.


Agreed! So much great music from the 80's, my fave decade music .

Love is God, God is love, girls and boys love God above.
RIP Sweet Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > George Michael, Madonna, Bon Jovi, MJ, and many others were considered 80's music, but most 80's music was PRINCE!