independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 22nd Apr 2019 3:22am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > The New Edition Story Thread
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #180 posted 02/08/17 12:21pm

Adisa

avatar

You can tell they still left out a lot of stuff about Bobby, no doubt to set up his own biopic.

The whole 1986-1988 transition was downplayed too. lol BBD and Ralph have alrwady given a play by play about what really happened in two seperate interviews from years ago. But the movie does give you the gist of it.

They made a reference to how Bobby swagger jacked Ralph during the Don't Be Cruel era. That also had a lot to do with Ralph's saltiness. He already had a vision for his solo debut, but had to go a different direction when the time actually came.

I'm sick and tired of the Prince fans being sick and tired of the Prince fans that are sick and tired!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #181 posted 02/08/17 12:51pm

LittleBLUECorv
ette

avatar

Adisa said:



MD431Madcat said:


ok "MR fruity" knows few little r&b licks... lol



MickyDolenz said:



http://prince.org/msg/8/408258





Johnny is a multi-instrumentalist and has actually played all the insruments on more than a few of his cuts.


He's not much of a writer tho, I find that weird.
PRINCE: Always and Forever
MICHAEL JACKSON: Always and Forever
-----
Live Your Life How U Wanna Live It
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #182 posted 02/08/17 1:46pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

Proof?

Adisa said:

MD431Madcat said:

ok "MR fruity" knows few little r&b licks... lol

Johnny is a multi-instrumentalist and has actually played all the insruments on more than a few of his cuts.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #183 posted 02/08/17 6:32pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

I really enjoyed The Soul Brother Show's tribute to NE music worship It brings back so many great memories nod Where It All Started: The New Edition Tribute http://soulbrothershow.podbean.com/

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #184 posted 02/09/17 8:39am

Adisa

avatar

MD431Madcat said:

Proof?

Adisa said:

Johnny is a multi-instrumentalist and has actually played all the insruments on more than a few of his cuts.

You are welcome to check to liner notes of some of his CDs if you want proof. lol

I'm sick and tired of the Prince fans being sick and tired of the Prince fans that are sick and tired!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #185 posted 02/09/17 8:42am

Adisa

avatar

LittleBLUECorvette said:

Adisa said:

Johnny is a multi-instrumentalist and has actually played all the insruments on more than a few of his cuts.

He's not much of a writer tho, I find that weird.

Meh.

I dont even remember what CD that was my gf had back in the day, but checking the liner notes he was listed as guitarist, bassist, and keyboard player on a few of the cuts...filler tracks I think, maybe one of the radio singles, too.

I'm sick and tired of the Prince fans being sick and tired of the Prince fans that are sick and tired!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #186 posted 02/09/17 9:11am

MickyDolenz

avatar

MD431Madcat said:

Proof?

Freddie Perren, Christine Perren, Elliot Wolff - writers
Johnny Gill - Fender bass, guitars, funk bass, live drums, bongos, lead vocals
Freddie Perren - Linn drum programming
Elliot Wolff - synthesizers
Robert Bowles - guitar programmer
Maxine Waters, Julia Waters, Carmen Twillie, Richard Wyatt Sr., Rancella Ferguson, Ronald Adkins, Gary Efford, Harold Ferguson - background vocals
arranged by Freddie Perren & Elliot Wolff


For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #187 posted 02/09/17 2:02pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

the song sucks and im sure we would've seen Mr Fruity playing live if he really could get down. wink

hell even Janet has some percussion credits for beating a coke bottle in MJs pressence.. lol lol lol

MickyDolenz said:

MD431Madcat said:

Proof?

Freddie Perren, Christine Perren, Elliot Wolff - writers
Johnny Gill - Fender bass, guitars, funk bass, live drums, bongos, lead vocals
Freddie Perren - Linn drum programming
Elliot Wolff - synthesizers
Robert Bowles - guitar programmer
Maxine Waters, Julia Waters, Carmen Twillie, Richard Wyatt Sr., Rancella Ferguson, Ronald Adkins, Gary Efford, Harold Ferguson - background vocals
arranged by Freddie Perren & Elliot Wolff

[Edited 2/9/17 14:05pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #188 posted 02/09/17 2:09pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #189 posted 02/09/17 2:14pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #190 posted 02/09/17 2:22pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

Cinny said:

Awesome lol

Suge used to be Bobby's bodyguard

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #191 posted 02/09/17 4:28pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

what 'Pro' musical person can't hit some timbales? lol

MickyDolenz said:

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #192 posted 02/09/17 4:31pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

any Real guitarist will tell you he's sloppy..

his tone sucks and he's just messin' around.

*** stars for effort though..

i still REALLY dislike the guy.

To me -

he's Nasty and hiding something... confused

MickyDolenz said:

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #193 posted 02/09/17 4:47pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

MD431Madcat said:

any Real guitarist will tell you he's sloppy..


his tone sucks and he's just messin' around.


*** stars for effort though..


i still REALLY dislike the guy.


To me -


he's Nasty and hiding something... confused




MickyDolenz said:






I sure hope you find what it is he's hiding so you can sleep at night. lol
Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #194 posted 02/09/17 5:06pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

phunkdaddy got Jokes!!! Ha Ha!!! lol lol lol


phunkdaddy said:

MD431Madcat said:

any Real guitarist will tell you he's sloppy..

his tone sucks and he's just messin' around.

*** stars for effort though..

i still REALLY dislike the guy.

To me -

he's Nasty and hiding something... confused

I sure hope you find what it is he's hiding so you can sleep at night. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #195 posted 02/10/17 8:59am

Cinny

avatar

phunkdaddy is killin' me lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #196 posted 02/10/17 11:06am

marcusrob02

I felt the biopic was a smash success and (aside from a FEW minor details) was a very factual and accurate depiction!

On the subject/debate between Ralph and Johnny, I personally always felt that Johnny had the better vocals/sound but may have lacked on the performer/dancer bit that Ralph may have had. Any of us can find any two similar artists and draw a similar comparison/analysis.

And I was VERY pleased they mentioned Cameo (Larry Blackmon) producing BB's solo album in '86.

And I've ALWAYS thought Ralph's "Sensitivity" was always meant for MJ, possibly for his '91 Dangerous LP. The lyrics, style, composition/production (to me) just SCREAMS MJ. Then again, Ralph has always somewhat channelled the Great One.......... lol lol lol lol lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #197 posted 02/10/17 10:26pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

LittleBLUECorvette said:

So far, Kurtis Blow and Staci Lattisaw are upset.

I guess Stacy isn't upset with Johnny's brother (who was in the 1990s group II D Extreme). razz As far as Kurtis denying what happened in the movie, there's a Vibe magazine article about NE around the time of Home Again that says Kurtis didn't like NE during that tour with Madonna. It didn't go into any details though. So it seems odd that NE would make up (according to Kurtis) a similar story 20 years apart about something pretty random and not that big of a deal.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/2071b62ee7c06c9003649903dd20d0a5/tumblr_okzpjkzJ6b1rw606ko1_r9_540.jpg


For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #198 posted 02/11/17 12:30am

JabarR74

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #199 posted 02/12/17 2:50pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #200 posted 02/13/17 6:14pm

JabarR74

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #201 posted 02/14/17 8:29am

PurpleMusic07

Adisa said:

You can tell they still left out a lot of stuff about Bobby, no doubt to set up his own biopic.

The whole 1986-1988 transition was downplayed too. lol BBD and Ralph have alrwady given a play by play about what really happened in two seperate interviews from years ago. But the movie does give you the gist of it.

They made a reference to how Bobby swagger jacked Ralph during the Don't Be Cruel era. That also had a lot to do with Ralph's saltiness. He already had a vision for his solo debut, but had to go a different direction when the time actually came.

Hey when you get a chance can you link to the articles that you're referrencing about the 86-88 transition, or can you let me know what publication they appeared in! Thanks smile

I recently read a really good oral history style article on the heartbreak albuum where they talked about some of that stuff, but more in context of the making of that album as opposed to specific group dynamics.

"Where you are now is in a place that does not require time." - Rest In Power, PRINCE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #202 posted 02/15/17 3:53pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #203 posted 02/16/17 6:59am

Adisa

avatar

PurpleMusic07 said:

Adisa said:

You can tell they still left out a lot of stuff about Bobby, no doubt to set up his own biopic.

The whole 1986-1988 transition was downplayed too. lol BBD and Ralph have alrwady given a play by play about what really happened in two seperate interviews from years ago. But the movie does give you the gist of it.

They made a reference to how Bobby swagger jacked Ralph during the Don't Be Cruel era. That also had a lot to do with Ralph's saltiness. He already had a vision for his solo debut, but had to go a different direction when the time actually came.

Hey when you get a chance can you link to the articles that you're referrencing about the 86-88 transition, or can you let me know what publication they appeared in! Thanks smile

I recently read a really good oral history style article on the heartbreak albuum where they talked about some of that stuff, but more in context of the making of that album as opposed to specific group dynamics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJHPuJvWyls

Interestingly, the interview Ralph gave on the radio was removed from youtube some years ago...or I just can't locate it. But in that interview he basically talked about his and Bobby's relationship after Bob was voted out, and how his "Living in Dreamworld" vision was shared with Bob, and Bob took that vision for his "Don't Be Cruel" era with the two dancers, the fashion, the whole swag about it.. The other guys tried to fire Ralph based on the incident in the link. But the record label wouldn't let that happen. Ralph wanted to go release a solo project, but the label wouldn't let that happen either, LOL. So there was hella tension during the making of NE Heartbreak. In that very interview, after all these years, Ralph literally said, "Johnny was bought in to replace Bob...he was brought in to replace ME!"

I'm sick and tired of the Prince fans being sick and tired of the Prince fans that are sick and tired!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #204 posted 02/16/17 12:51pm

JabarR74

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #205 posted 02/16/17 5:29pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

i saw this earlier on Youtube..

I like Mr Gill considerably more after watching this.

JabarR74 said:

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #206 posted 02/17/17 7:22pm

JabarR74

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #207 posted 02/19/17 2:10pm

illimack

avatar

JabarR74 said:

Lawd! That show was so unintentionally funny! They were a hot mess together. I remember one episode.....Christmas carolers came to the door and Whitney was standing there with one shoe on.They were a hoot! lol

**************************************************

Pull ya cell phone out and call yo next of kin...we 'bout to get funky......2,3 come on ya'll
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #208 posted 02/19/17 4:52pm

scorp84

I loved that show, while a lot of other people hated it for the very same reason: They were regular black folks lol It showed them in almost every human light imaginable. This was just as the whole "reality" thing hit the ridiculous levels it sits at now. It was just too "real" for a lot of people to be comfortable with.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #209 posted 02/19/17 5:50pm

JabarR74

The NE Story will be on tomorrow

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > The New Edition Story Thread