independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 21st Jul 2017 3:44am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > 2017 Rock Hall Inductees
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 01/01/17 4:31pm

Missmusicluver
72

Congrats and I am so happy my personal fave, Journey made it in! Still a little disappointed that Chaka and Janet were overlooked, but hopefully next year they get in.

Love is God, God is love, girls and boys love God above.
RIP Sweet Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 01/06/17 8:53pm

namepeace

I can see Baez and, to a lesser extent Tupac,

I like ELO and Journey, I respect Yes and I am indifferent on Pearl Jam.

But there were others I would have preferred over most of the inductees.

How does the populzr vote component play into this?

Janet is one of, if not THE, biggest artist of the 80s and 90s that hasn't been inducted and she's been eligible for over 5 years. You could make a passable argument that she isn't a 1st ballot HOFer, but should she have to wait until the 7th ballot, or longer?

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 01/17/17 12:47pm

mjscarousal

avatar

namepeace said:

I can see Baez and, to a lesser extent Tupac,

I like ELO and Journey, I respect Yes and I am indifferent on Pearl Jam.

But there were others I would have preferred over most of the inductees.

How does the populzr vote component play into this?

Janet is one of, if not THE, biggest artist of the 80s and 90s that hasn't been inducted and she's been eligible for over 5 years. You could make a passable argument that she isn't a 1st ballot HOFer, but should she have to wait until the 7th ballot, or longer?

Janet should be inducted because she is an Icon who has influenced two generation of artists (Britney Spears, TLC, Aguilera, Usher, Nsync, Ciara, Destiny Childs, Brandy, Beyonce, Mya, Aaliyah, etc) and she was one of the most important artists that pioneerd the music video age. She has made a tremendous impact on performances, pop culture and she also has classics and iconic albums and songs that still influence todays generation... THAT is why Janet should be inducted not because she was a "big artist in the 80s and 90s" The industry is black balling Janet and your right she should have already been inducted a long time ago.

[Edited 1/17/17 12:49pm]

Stand, you`ve been sitting much too long, there`s a permanent crease in your right or wrong.~Sly Stone
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 01/17/17 12:53pm

mjscarousal

avatar

206Michelle said:

kitbradley said:

I'm really surprised Nippy has not even been nominated, despite the fact that she's been eligible for years and that Clive had everyone convinced she was the greatest singer ever to grace this earth.

Regarding Whitney, it's surprising and then not surprising. It's surprising because she is so legendary. Her body of work is outstanding. She sang in a lot of different styles--gospel, R&B, rock, and pop. Among female artists, her voice is unmatched.

--

On the other hand, it's not surprising because, as far as I know, she didn't play instruments and wasn't much of a songwriter.

--

Overall, based on her incredible voice and her body of work, I think that she is absolutely deserving of a place in the R&RHOF. She was a pioneer for female recording artists. She, Janet, and Madonna broke down a lot of barriers.

Agree with this post. They were the original pioneers that broke down barriers in performances, videos, music and art. Its absolutely ridiculous that Janet and Whitney have not been inducted. I knew RHOF was full of crap when they inducted Green Day over Janet and Whitney, what a load of bullshit! wacky

Stand, you`ve been sitting much too long, there`s a permanent crease in your right or wrong.~Sly Stone
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 01/17/17 4:17pm

Dasein

I'm writing a grant proposal to obtain funds to establish a Who the Fuck Cares Hall of Fame. My
first inductee will be the entire Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. The second inductee will be the Who the
Fuck Cares Hall of Fame because we'll keep it real.

But that pop culture's version of Mount Rushmore in Cleveland money grab goes first. The NARAS
will be third.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 02/06/17 10:21pm

MickyDolenz

ROB HALFORD Says JUDAS PRIEST 'Deserves' To Be In ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME
February 3, 2017 Blabbermouth

https://68.media.tumblr.com/85a8d477a0a4f461df33183d179fb8f2/tumblr_okzpjkzJ6b1rw606ko1_r1_1280.jpg
During a recent appearance on "Trunk Nation", Eddie Trunk's show on SiriusXM channel Volume (106), Rob Halford was asked if he is bothered by the fact that JUDAS PRIEST has yet to be inducted inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. He responded: "Well, I've always likened the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame to, like, the NFL or the NBA or baseball. It's recognition, you know, and it's wonderful when you get these kinds of opportunities. So I, for one, would welcome it. I think we deserve it. [Laughs] But, yeah, I'm thrilled that [DEEP] PURPLE have got their acclamation as well. And I see that — 'cause, you know, I try and stay ahead on the news — I see they're going out with Alice [Cooper] and THE EDGAR WINTER BAND later this year. That will be a thrill to go and check out."

Halford's latest comments echo those he made last June to the KBAD 94.5 FM radio station in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. He stated at the time: "The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, you know, is a controversial entity. It's not like the Baseball Hall Of Fame or the NFL Hall Of Fame. Those incredible institutions have very little kind of discourse going on in them, but because music — much like sports — is very passionate, and because I think the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame has been getting more diverse now, which I think it should. You know, because a musician is a musician is a musician, and, again, if you've been able to make an indelible mark with what you do, to be recognized for that, I think, is a great honor. And if and when that day comes, I think that will be a real treat."

Speaking to Hour.ca in a 2010 interview, Halford was asked if he thinks the fact that PRIEST has thus far been snubbed by the Rock Hall has something to do with the fact that he is still one of the rare openly gay superstars in all of show business.

"I don't know, let's have a think: Who in there is gay?" Halford asked rhetorically. "It's a good question. I consider myself a lower-case gay, not screaming like my good friend [porn director and drag queen] Chi Chi LaRue. I love all my friends in the community and if the moment came [for being inducted into the Rock Hall], it would be a tremendous moment not just for the band and our fans, but for the whole LGBT community."

JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Glenn Tipton seemed to take a slightly more indifferent stance toward the idea of the band being inducted into the Rock Hall, telling Classic Rock Revisited a few years ago: "I don't know if we will ever be invited to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame or not. If we do, it will certainly be a privilege and it will be something we will be proud of. If we don't, then it is not going to change our lives. Our legacy is in our music. We will leave our music for everybody and I think that's good enough. You don't always need an accolade to leave a legacy."

Rock Hall rules state that artists become eligible 25 years after their first records were released, but the Hall also claims that other "criteria include the influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock 'n' roll," which is, of course, open to interpretation.

Despite being eligible for induction since 1999 — 25 years after the release of its first disc — KISS didn't get its first nomination until 2009, and was finally inducted in 2014.

DEEP PURPLE was eligible for the Rock Hall since 1993 but didn't get inducted until last year.

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 02/08/17 3:27pm

fred12

the hall of fame is ridiculous now..2PAC!!! don't get me wrong, an outstanding great artist, but not in the hall of fame before Dionne Warwick, Barry White, Mary Wells, and so many others that are highly qualified

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 02/13/17 11:09am

jjhunsecker

avatar

Journey may be the worst inductee in Rock n Roll Hall of Fame history

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 02/16/17 1:06pm

Tontoman22

mjscarousal said:

206Michelle said:

Regarding Whitney, it's surprising and then not surprising. It's surprising because she is so legendary. Her body of work is outstanding. She sang in a lot of different styles--gospel, R&B, rock, and pop. Among female artists, her voice is unmatched.

--

On the other hand, it's not surprising because, as far as I know, she didn't play instruments and wasn't much of a songwriter.

--

Overall, based on her incredible voice and her body of work, I think that she is absolutely deserving of a place in the R&RHOF. She was a pioneer for female recording artists. She, Janet, and Madonna broke down a lot of barriers.

Agree with this post. They were the original pioneers that broke down barriers in performances, videos, music and art. Its absolutely ridiculous that Janet and Whitney have not been inducted. I knew RHOF was full of crap when they inducted Green Day over Janet and Whitney, what a load of bullshit! wacky

LOL who were the original performers that broke down barriers in vidoes ? Not Janet or Whitney. Stop reading the bad and incorrect informantion fed to you by Wikipeda and start talking to people who were actually there, or look for better sources like billboard charts (magazine) or MTV vault books. Both Janet and Whitney hit big back in 1986. The so-called colour barrier for men and women came down in 1983 - Billie Jean (MJ) She Works Hard for the Money (Donna)...following Thriller which came out late 1983 - MTV started playing more pop and R & B vidoes than ever before. By the end of 1984 they changed their playlists expanded from 3 to 7, leaving medium and heavy rotation for those artists, that had hits on the charts. Donna Summer was the first black woman to have her vidoes played in consistent heavy rotation, followed by the Pointer Sister's and Tina Turner (it was not Houston-not even close). Donna was the first to be nominated for an MTV award - Tina was the first to win one. Donna Summer was the first woman (not just black woman) to dominate the billbaord pop charts, the first to have the #1 single and album simultaneously in the modern rock era (3 times in 8 months), the first to have 2 songs in the top 3 (did it twice - with 4 different song in 1979), the first to have 3 #1s in a calendar year, she took 3 double albums to the top of the charts in a 14 month period. In one 12 month period form Nov 25, 1978 and Nov 24, 1979, she had 6 top 4 singles, 4 - #1s, 1- #2, 1 - #4. She was the first female to sit on top of 3 separate charts at the same time. Billboards top music act from 1976-82 pre MTV era. She became the first modern day pop female superstar, selling millions of records world wide. She is the only artist nominated for Grammys in 5 different genres of music, and the only artist to win in 4 different genres (Rock,R&B, Gospel and Dance) . When she was finally inducted in the R&RHOF, she was named "Diva De Tutte Dive" - the first true diva of the modern pop era. As Mary J.Blige, Lenny Kravitz and Stevie Wonder call her - the game changer (at a time when artist and music were segregated by genres, one mega star pushed the bondaries by crossing over into multple genres). Not to mention kicking the door down for artist's to build careers on dance music. Along with all that, she was a fabulous songwriter, and a wonderful painter. She forged a path for all future female superstars to follow. If you think that you are gonna get any of these people inducted - you have to know your facts first, and you have to know why they were inducted. Madonna was inducted for being the first multi-media pop star - not because they thought she was a great musican. Some of the so-called contribution or influences that you believe these artist have, might only exsist to you (in reality).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 02/16/17 8:26pm

Tontoman22

206Michelle said:

kitbradley said:

I'm really surprised Nippy has not even been nominated, despite the fact that she's been eligible for years and that Clive had everyone convinced she was the greatest singer ever to grace this earth.

Regarding Whitney, it's surprising and then not surprising. It's surprising because she is so legendary. Her body of work is outstanding. She sang in a lot of different styles--gospel, R&B, rock, and pop. Among female artists, her voice is unmatched.

--

On the other hand, it's not surprising because, as far as I know, she didn't play instruments and wasn't much of a songwriter.

--

Overall, based on her incredible voice and her body of work, I think that she is absolutely deserving of a place in the R&RHOF. She was a pioneer for female recording artists. She, Janet, and Madonna broke down a lot of barriers.

I agree with kitbradley - that Clive through the used of American Idol (and Xfactor and other singing competitions that have dominated the televsion landscaped for the last 16 years) - had alot of people convinced that Houston was the best singer. He's a genius. She would be nothing without him, and would have been forgotten had it not been for these shows. It has greatly impacted her legacy. That being said she is harldy unmatched among female artist. Her career is a little one dimensional. I do have a question though - exaclty when did Whitney sing rock ? If you are talking about Queen of the Night - you will have to do better than that. I know Janet at least was nominated in the category (Black Cat ) but she also has never really done rock music either...and exactly what did Whitney do that besides sell more records than those before her ?.. That you actually think she is some kind of pioneer ?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > 2017 Rock Hall Inductees