independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 20th Feb 2019 1:13pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > P Funk albums
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 12/10/16 4:10am

mrwiggles

SoulAlive said:



RJOrion said:


Funkentelechy vs The Placebo Syndrome LP





I think this is the quintessential P-funk album.If I knew someone who wanted to get into their music,this is the first album I would recommend to them....a perfect place to start.

y


For me, it always comes down to Funkentelechy vs Mothership for crown of greatest Parliament record. Bootsy's bass on entelecy is actually him doing some strokes from a track he did on one of JB's lesser acts, although for the life of me I cannot nail it down. I think it's on the Funky Diva's compilation. I was listening one night and had to say damn, that's Funkentelechy.

Although nowadays I'm likely to pop Clones in, both of the other LPs are total listening experiences. Funkentelechy gets the edge for me because, where else are you gonna find a song like Sir Nose D'Void Of Funk? The whole record is like a BW solo album with Parliament guesting lol.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 12/10/16 11:23am

HuMpThAnG

avatar

mrwiggles said:

SoulAlive said:

I think this is the quintessential P-funk album.If I knew someone who wanted to get into their music,this is the first album I would recommend to them....a perfect place to start.

y For me, it always comes down to Funkentelechy vs Mothership for crown of greatest Parliament record. Bootsy's bass on entelecy is actually him doing some strokes from a track he did on one of JB's lesser acts, although for the life of me I cannot nail it down. I think it's on the Funky Diva's compilation. I was listening one night and had to say damn, that's Funkentelechy. Although nowadays I'm likely to pop Clones in, both of the other LPs are total listening experiences. Funkentelechy gets the edge for me because, where else are you gonna find a song like Sir Nose D'Void Of Funk? The whole record is like a BW solo album with Parliament guesting lol.

hmmmm hmmm curious now

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 12/10/16 7:19pm

SoulAlive

Funkadelic released their self-titled debut album in 1970

Image result for funkadelic debut album

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 12/10/16 9:15pm

SoulAlive

One Nation Under A Groove: A Documentary on P Funk

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 12/11/16 4:32am

mrwiggles

HuMpThAnG said:



mrwiggles said:


SoulAlive said:



I think this is the quintessential P-funk album.If I knew someone who wanted to get into their music,this is the first album I would recommend to them....a perfect place to start.



y For me, it always comes down to Funkentelechy vs Mothership for crown of greatest Parliament record. Bootsy's bass on entelecy is actually him doing some strokes from a track he did on one of JB's lesser acts, although for the life of me I cannot nail it down. I think it's on the Funky Diva's compilation. I was listening one night and had to say damn, that's Funkentelechy. Although nowadays I'm likely to pop Clones in, both of the other LPs are total listening experiences. Funkentelechy gets the edge for me because, where else are you gonna find a song like Sir Nose D'Void Of Funk? The whole record is like a BW solo album with Parliament guesting lol.

hmmmm hmmm curious now



I so wish I could find and/or recall what the track was. It was about 3 years ago and it came on my iPod and I said wait, he's playing Funkentelechy. I went thru some of the funky divas cd last night looking for it and could not find it. It's from the sex machine era though.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 12/11/16 6:30am

mrwiggles

mrwiggles said:

HuMpThAnG said:



mrwiggles said:


SoulAlive said:



I think this is the quintessential P-funk album.If I knew someone who wanted to get into their music,this is the first album I would recommend to them....a perfect place to start.



y For me, it always comes down to Funkentelechy vs Mothership for crown of greatest Parliament record. Bootsy's bass on entelecy is actually him doing some strokes from a track he did on one of JB's lesser acts, although for the life of me I cannot nail it down. I think it's on the Funky Diva's compilation. I was listening one night and had to say damn, that's Funkentelechy. Although nowadays I'm likely to pop Clones in, both of the other LPs are total listening experiences. Funkentelechy gets the edge for me because, where else are you gonna find a song like Sir Nose D'Void Of Funk? The whole record is like a BW solo album with Parliament guesting lol.

hmmmm hmmm curious now



I so wish I could find and/or recall what the track was. It was about 3 years ago and it came on my iPod and I said wait, he's playing Funkentelechy. I went thru some of the funky divas cd last night looking for it and could not find it. It's from the sex machine era though. I am determined to find it.

It's not the main riff (the one that opens the song), but what he starts playing at about the 1 minute mark. What he's doing on the JB track is damn near note for note.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 12/11/16 6:40am

SPYZFAN1

I don't know how I missed this thread. I love EVERYTHING P-Funk. That's the music of my (and probably everyone else's) childhood. Even the P-Funk that's not so hot is still good.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 12/11/16 11:50am

SoulAlive

SPYZFAN1 said:

I don't know how I missed this thread. I love EVERYTHING P-Funk. That's the music of my (and probably everyone else's) childhood. Even the P-Funk that's not so hot is still good.

nod

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 12/11/16 12:54pm

HuMpThAnG

avatar

mrwiggles said:

HuMpThAnG said:

hmmmm hmmm curious now

I so wish I could find and/or recall what the track was. It was about 3 years ago and it came on my iPod and I said wait, he's playing Funkentelechy. I went thru some of the funky divas cd last night looking for it and could not find it. It's from the sex machine era though.

now i gotta to some research lol

i have that funky divas cd also biggrin

[Edited 12/11/16 12:55pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 12/11/16 6:04pm

SoulAlive

"Get Off Your Ass and Jam" by Funkadelic (1975)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 12/11/16 6:08pm

SoulAlive

In 1981,Funkadelic released the album 'The Electric Spanking Of War Babies'.George Clinton wanted this project to be a double album,but Warners refused.It was their loss: one of the rejected tunes was "Atomic Dog",which George released as his debut solo single on Capitol Records a year later

Image result for the electric spanking of war babies

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 12/11/16 7:53pm

mrwiggles

GC was reading the writing on the Warner's wall that it was over. After giving minimal promotional support for Uncle Jam, by the time they got to Electric Spanking it was a done deal. Told him they were only pressing a few thousand of this. He said funk it then I will give an album to our fans, thus Electric Spanking, kind of a throw back to the westbound years.

Some interesting musicality on here. By the time it came out Parliament Funkadelic as we knew it was going in some other directions. I love Electro Cuties, Oh I and Icka Prick. There is 3 versions of Oh I that I know of and a 10 minute version of Icka Prick, good luck finding that one.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 12/12/16 3:05am

novabrkr

The title track and "Icka Prick" on "Electric Spanking" are too good for words.

When I was drunk and attended a gig a few years ago, I sang "Oh I" to the band members when they were checking out the stage before the gig and I was standing in front of the stage. I was there with a friend, who was drunk too, and we started out by chanting "We Want The Funk", but then I thought I'd switch gears.

My guess is that they got some idea on who the megafan was. wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 12/12/16 12:27pm

SoulAlive

mrwiggles said:

GC was reading the writing on the Warner's wall that it was over. After giving minimal promotional support for Uncle Jam, by the time they got to Electric Spanking it was a done deal. Told him they were only pressing a few thousand of this. He said funk it then I will give an album to our fans, thus Electric Spanking, kind of a throw back to the westbound years.


It seems as if Warners never really understood Funkadelic.They didn't "get" the vibe.They certainly didn't promote them with the same level of enthusiasm as Casablanca Records did with Parliament.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 12/12/16 1:38pm

mrwiggles

SoulAlive said:

mrwiggles said:

GC was reading the writing on the Warner's wall that it was over. After giving minimal promotional support for Uncle Jam, by the time they got to Electric Spanking it was a done deal. Told him they were only pressing a few thousand of this. He said funk it then I will give an album to our fans, thus Electric Spanking, kind of a throw back to the westbound years.


It seems as if Warners never really understood Funkadelic.They didn't "get" the vibe.They certainly didn't promote them with the same level of enthusiasm as Casablanca Records did with Parliament.
h

And yet Bogart was still pouring much more dollars into Donna, KISS, and the Villiage People.
George says once Knee Deep came out it was all self promotion. He had record company folks standing at the edge of the stage literally yelling "it's not gonna go pop" at him.

I recall the first time I heard the single Electric Spanking on the radio. About March or April of 81. A few days later a friend called in and requested it only for the DJ to tell him it's not doing anything for black music and refused to play it. The whole Warners shenanigans continued and the album did not come out until way into the summer.
[Edited 12/12/16 13:44pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 12/13/16 12:39am

SoulAlive

mrwiggles said:

SoulAlive said:
It seems as if Warners never really understood Funkadelic.They didn't "get" the vibe.They certainly didn't promote them with the same level of enthusiasm as Casablanca Records did with Parliament.
And yet Bogart was still pouring much more dollars into Donna, KISS, and the Villiage People. George says once Knee Deep came out it was all self promotion. He had record company folks standing at the edge of the stage literally yelling "it's not gonna go pop" at him. I recall the first time I heard the single Electric Spanking on the radio. About March or April of 81. A few days later a friend called in and requested it only for the DJ to tell him it's not doing anything for black music and refused to play it. The whole Warners shenanigans continued and the album did not come out until way into the summer.

Wow,what a shame.Fortunately for George,he was able to bounce back with a massive solo hit a year later ("Atomic Dog").That song was so huge that I bet Warners regretted the way they treated him.Their loss was Capitol Records' gain.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 12/13/16 12:29pm

SoulAlive

"P Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)" by Parliament (1975)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 12/13/16 3:18pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

SoulAlive said:

"P Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)" by Parliament (1975)

I was just listening to this last night. One of my favorites...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 12/13/16 4:28pm

mrwiggles

SoulAlive said:



mrwiggles said:


SoulAlive said:
It seems as if Warners never really understood Funkadelic.They didn't "get" the vibe.They certainly didn't promote them with the same level of enthusiasm as Casablanca Records did with Parliament.

And yet Bogart was still pouring much more dollars into Donna, KISS, and the Villiage People. George says once Knee Deep came out it was all self promotion. He had record company folks standing at the edge of the stage literally yelling "it's not gonna go pop" at him. I recall the first time I heard the single Electric Spanking on the radio. About March or April of 81. A few days later a friend called in and requested it only for the DJ to tell him it's not doing anything for black music and refused to play it. The whole Warners shenanigans continued and the album did not come out until way into the summer.




Wow,what a shame.Fortunately for George,he was able to bounce back with a massive solo hit a year later ("Atomic Dog").That song was so huge that I bet Warners regretted the way they treated him.Their loss was Capitol Records' gain.




Funny how the universe works isn't it. Had Atomic Dog been on Spanking, it may very well have sank without a trace along with the rest of the ill-fated LP. And along with that all the hip hop that was built on it's back. So in the end GC got a huge break. The being said he was still in bankrupt court within the year.
[Edited 12/13/16 16:31pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 12/13/16 4:57pm

HuMpThAnG

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

SoulAlive said:

"P Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)" by Parliament (1975)

I was just listening to this last night. One of my favorites...

still vibed off this album biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 12/13/16 5:30pm

RaspBerryGirlF
riend

avatar

SoulAlive said:

In 1981,Funkadelic released the album 'The Electric Spanking Of War Babies'.George Clinton wanted this project to be a double album,but Warners refused.It was their loss: one of the rejected tunes was "Atomic Dog",which George released as his debut solo single on Capitol Records a year later

Image result for the electric spanking of war babies

Do we know what the tracklist would have been had it been a double album? Haven't been able to find anything online so far confused

Heavenly wine and roses seems to whisper to me when you smile...
Always cry for love, never cry for pain...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #111 posted 12/13/16 6:52pm

Graycap23

avatar

Fav? Too many to name.
FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #112 posted 12/13/16 7:39pm

mrwiggles

RaspBerryGirlFriend said:



SoulAlive said:


In 1981,Funkadelic released the album 'The Electric Spanking Of War Babies'.George Clinton wanted this project to be a double album,but Warners refused.It was their loss: one of the rejected tunes was "Atomic Dog",which George released as his debut solo single on Capitol Records a year later


Image result for the electric spanking of war babies



Do we know what the tracklist would have been had it been a double album? Haven't been able to find anything online so far confused



Hmm, well we know May Day (SOS) & Atomic Dog was planned for it. Also a track called I Angle, both from the GC family series set that came out on P-Vine out of Japan in the mid 90's. I personally feel they would have included the extended version of Icka Prick.
And then there was talk that Junie's Too Tight For Light was the planned follow up to Knee Deep. What sounds like a demo version of the track also appears on the family series stuff.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #113 posted 12/14/16 12:43am

SoulAlive

mrwiggles said:

RaspBerryGirlFriend said:

Do we know what the tracklist would have been had it been a double album? Haven't been able to find anything online so far confused

Hmm, well we know May Day (SOS) & Atomic Dog was planned for it. Also a track called I Angle, both from the GC family series set that came out on P-Vine out of Japan in the mid 90's. I personally feel they would have included the extended version of Icka Prick. And then there was talk that Junie's Too Tight For Light was the planned follow up to Knee Deep. What sounds like a demo version of the track also appears on the family series stuff.

It would be cool if,after all these years,we could finally get a copy of the album the way George intended it to be,with all the missing tracks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #114 posted 12/14/16 6:55am

RaspBerryGirlF
riend

avatar

mrwiggles said:

RaspBerryGirlFriend said:

Do we know what the tracklist would have been had it been a double album? Haven't been able to find anything online so far confused

Hmm, well we know May Day (SOS) & Atomic Dog was planned for it. Also a track called I Angle, both from the GC family series set that came out on P-Vine out of Japan in the mid 90's. I personally feel they would have included the extended version of Icka Prick. And then there was talk that Junie's Too Tight For Light was the planned follow up to Knee Deep. What sounds like a demo version of the track also appears on the family series stuff.

Interesting, thanks a lot for this, haven't actually heard those GC family CDs so I've got a lot to listen to. The discography of P-Funk and all its affliated groups is huge that even though I sometimes consider myself reasonably well versed in their music in reality I've barely scratched the surface!

Heavenly wine and roses seems to whisper to me when you smile...
Always cry for love, never cry for pain...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #115 posted 12/14/16 1:02pm

214

What about their lyrics, they are more eccentric than Prince lyrics, and that's saying something.

[Edited 12/14/16 14:43pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #116 posted 12/14/16 2:26pm

SoulAlive

RaspBerryGirlFriend said:

mrwiggles said:

RaspBerryGirlFriend said: Hmm, well we know May Day (SOS) & Atomic Dog was planned for it. Also a track called I Angle, both from the GC family series set that came out on P-Vine out of Japan in the mid 90's. I personally feel they would have included the extended version of Icka Prick. And then there was talk that Junie's Too Tight For Light was the planned follow up to Knee Deep. What sounds like a demo version of the track also appears on the family series stuff.

Interesting, thanks a lot for this, haven't actually heard those GC family CDs so I've got a lot to listen to. The discography of P-Funk and all its affliated groups is huge that even though I sometimes consider myself reasonably well versed in their music in reality I've barely scratched the surface!

I feel the same way.I have all of the Parliament and Funkadelic albums,but there is still alot that I need to explore.I don't have any of those GC family CDs.I love the fact that the P Funk catalog is so huge smile I'm having lots of fun looking for the stuff that I don't already have.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #117 posted 12/14/16 6:01pm

HuMpThAnG

avatar

SoulAlive said:

RaspBerryGirlFriend said:

Interesting, thanks a lot for this, haven't actually heard those GC family CDs so I've got a lot to listen to. The discography of P-Funk and all its affliated groups is huge that even though I sometimes consider myself reasonably well versed in their music in reality I've barely scratched the surface!

I feel the same way.I have all of the Parliament and Funkadelic albums,but there is still alot that I need to explore.I don't have any of those GC family CDs.I love the fact that the P Funk catalog is so huge smile I'm having lots of fun looking for the stuff that I don't already have.

ahhhhh...the good old days biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #118 posted 12/15/16 12:53am

SoulAlive

what do you guys think of Connections and Disconnections,the 1981 album by former P Funk musicians Fuzzy Haskins,Calvin Simon,and Grady Thomas? I'm surprised that they were able to call this a "Funkadelic album",since George Clinton had absolutely no involvement at all (I'm assuming that he own the name 'Funkadelic'?).

Image result for connections and disconnections

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #119 posted 12/15/16 8:33am

Graycap23

avatar

SoulAlive said:

what do you guys think of Connections and Disconnections,the 1981 album by former P Funk musicians Fuzzy Haskins,Calvin Simon,and Grady Thomas? I'm surprised that they were able to call this a "Funkadelic album",since George Clinton had absolutely no involvement at all (I'm assuming that he own the name 'Funkadelic'?).

Image result for connections and disconnections

The Witch is killer.......

FOOLS multiply when WISE Men & Women are silent.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > P Funk albums