independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 18th Dec 2017 2:26pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Feeling that the Jackson's "Unity Tour" is going to get CANCELED!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 06/08/12 5:34am

SoulAlive

That's why the Jacksons haven't done too many albums without Michael.No one would have bought 'em.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 06/08/12 5:35am

Azz

SoulAlive said:

ViintageJunkiie said:

I do remember Janet saying something like that. I wouldn't see a problem with her opening the show. I mean, they're all brothers and sisters and I think it would've been a great way for Janet to sorta say "thank you".

Ironically,Janet didn't even seem to care about her brothers when she was riding high lol For example,in 1990 when she launched her 'Rhythm Nation' tour,she chose Chuckii Booker to be her opening act.This was at a time when her own brother Randy had his group (Randy and the Gypsys) and was struggling for success.He could have used that opening slot on a major tour like that.

You can't say that, you don't know what went down. Whether Randy even approached her. Whether she wanted to sit her fans through Randy and his group, as I don't think they had any hits and probably were short in talent.

Besides, Scream comes to mind.


Janet made it on her own, with only a couple of TV shows to her name. Why should it be any different for Randy, who already had fame for being in the Jackson 5.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 06/08/12 5:50am

SoulAlive

nursev said:

I said it wouldn't work and got alotta hate for my comment, but the majority of people don't or won't see them now that Mike is gone. I agree they need to get their asses off their shoulders and join an old school tour.

nod I'm thinking they should do a tour with Midnight Star,Stephanie Mills and Cameo.Hell,even I would probably go to see them on a tour like that! lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 06/09/12 6:11pm

TheWifey

That shit should have been cancelled. next?

mjscarousal said:

I was exactly going to buy a ticket Im so glad I didnt... This is really unprofessional. They should know better than to cancel dates because of a dumb excuse as that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 06/09/12 8:29pm

kellistarr120

Yeah, it goes without saying that Michael was the Jackson's and no one really cares about the remaining Jacksons except the die-hard fans. (Such as myself). I did like Jermaine and for me it's all about nostalgia. The group as a whole was awesome and I thought the brothers had great harmony.

Whenever they were on stage with Michael, I always looked at Michael, but there was also a curiosity, me wondering could Jackie really sing? What can Tito do? I wanted to see what they could do without michael. The reality show shed light on why there hasn't been any production from them.

I mean, they were a mess on a scripted reality show, so you know it's a mess in reality. The Jackson brothers always knew what they amounted to without Michael, so the fact that Michael was successful without them, I'm sure came as no surprise. I agree that they would be cool on a bill with other acts but they don't seem to have much in them to make anything happen.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 06/09/12 9:16pm

PatrickS77

avatar

mjscarousal said:

I was exactly going to buy a ticket Im so glad I didnt...

Yeah! People thinking like you is probably what brought on these cancellations. confused

I hope they follow through with the rest of their shows, word of mouth (assuming they bring it) could save them. If they don't, then it's time to give up.

[Edited 6/9/12 21:19pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 06/10/12 12:32pm

FormerlyKnownA
s

avatar

WHAT CAN POSSIBLY SAVE THE JACKSONS & THE "UNITY" TOUR????

J-A-N-E-T !!!

Yep, that's right... Miss Jackson! Here are my thoughts:

Janet was getting a positive response a few months ago when she was the rumored replacement on 'X-Factor.' You have to admit, it probably would have done her career some good, to be seen weekly by TV audiences, taken under the wing of Simon Cowell, and have a venue should she want to push her next album to a mass market and resurrect what seems to be a dwindling music career. She is talented, but seems to be less of an influence with each album, going back as far as follow-ups to the brilliant "Control" and "Rhythm Nation."

Fast forward. The Jackson brothers decide to go on tour. It is good that they are working on a new album and that is the purpose of this upcoming tour, but how do they expect to sell it without classic Jackson 5 songs that were sung by Michael? The only shot in the arm, I can see, would be to have Janet come along and pay tribute to her late brother by singing his parts. Sure, she would have to put her Janet Jackson career and songs on the back- burner, but it would only be temporary. I think she would do a fantastic job with songs like, "I Want You Back," "ABC," and "The Love You Save." Plus, she can dance!

If the tour, with Janet, were to be a success, perhaps the Jackson brothers would consider re-inventing themselves as a new Jackson 5, with Janet in the lead! Perhaps a new album with Janet in the lead could follow. Such plan would certainly bolster the career of the brothers and her, proving the Jacksons remain a force to be reckoned with - are capable of new material - and CAN tour with classic material (still sung by a relevant Jackson). Just my thinking....

cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 06/10/12 12:42pm

SoulAlive

I was just thinking about your idea and while I don't think Janet should fill that role (singing MJ's songs),how about the brothers adding another member to the group?? An amzing,male vocalist who can dance and sing all of Michael's parts! It doesn't even have to be someone famous,just someone with stage presence who can really sing and dance.Many bands replace a lead singer,for various reasons.Journey tours these days with a guy who sounds just like Steve Perry.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 06/10/12 1:22pm

PatrickS77

avatar

Both of your ideas are just BS. Either they make it on their own or they don't. End of it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 06/10/12 3:58pm

Shango

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

jpnyc said:

Since his death? Things have been going downhill for them since Michael went solo back in 1979! Do you really think anybody really gave two about Tito and Jermaine between 1979 and 2009?

Me, I like Jermaine and have all of his albums. Tito has not released anything, he just performs his blues show.

Tito produced Steven & Sterling's album which was released in 1982

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 06/10/12 4:37pm

smoothcriminal
12

One can only pray. evillol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 06/10/12 6:45pm

mjscarousal

SoulAlive said:

I was just thinking about your idea and while I don't think Janet should fill that role (singing MJ's songs),how about the brothers adding another member to the group?? An amzing,male vocalist who can dance and sing all of Michael's parts! It doesn't even have to be someone famous,just someone with stage presence who can really sing and dance.Many bands replace a lead singer,for various reasons.Journey tours these days with a guy who sounds just like Steve Perry.

eek

That shit aint flying.... but hey its an idea....lol razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 06/10/12 7:31pm

dreamfactory31
3

I have tix to the 7/20 show in Vegas.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 06/11/12 12:16am

uPtoWnNY

SoulAlive said:That's why the Jacksons haven't done too many albums without Michael.No one would have bought 'em.

Co-sign. The only Jacksons I cared to listen to were Michael(before he completely flipped out) and Janet.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 06/11/12 12:31am

SoulAlive

mjscarousal said:

SoulAlive said:

I was just thinking about your idea and while I don't think Janet should fill that role (singing MJ's songs),how about the brothers adding another member to the group?? An amzing,male vocalist who can dance and sing all of Michael's parts! It doesn't even have to be someone famous,just someone with stage presence who can really sing and dance.Many bands replace a lead singer,for various reasons.Journey tours these days with a guy who sounds just like Steve Perry.

eek

That shit aint flying.... but hey its an idea....lol razz

lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 06/11/12 6:21am

SoulAlive

PatrickS77 said:

Both of your ideas are just BS. Either they make it on their own or they don't. End of it.

It's clear that they gotta do something to turn things around,or this could be the year's most embarassing flop tour.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 06/11/12 2:31pm

kibbles

FormerlyKnownAs said:

WHAT CAN POSSIBLY SAVE THE JACKSONS & THE "UNITY" TOUR????

J-A-N-E-T !!!

Yep, that's right... Miss Jackson! Here are my thoughts:

Janet was getting a positive response a few months ago when she was the rumored replacement on 'X-Factor.' You have to admit, it probably would have done her career some good, to be seen weekly by TV audiences, taken under the wing of Simon Cowell, and have a venue should she want to push her next album to a mass market and resurrect what seems to be a dwindling music career. She is talented, but seems to be less of an influence with each album, going back as far as follow-ups to the brilliant "Control" and "Rhythm Nation."

Fast forward. The Jackson brothers decide to go on tour. It is good that they are working on a new album and that is the purpose of this upcoming tour, but how do they expect to sell it without classic Jackson 5 songs that were sung by Michael? The only shot in the arm, I can see, would be to have Janet come along and pay tribute to her late brother by singing his parts. Sure, she would have to put her Janet Jackson career and songs on the back- burner, but it would only be temporary. I think she would do a fantastic job with songs like, "I Want You Back," "ABC," and "The Love You Save." Plus, she can dance!

If the tour, with Janet, were to be a success, perhaps the Jackson brothers would consider re-inventing themselves as a new Jackson 5, with Janet in the lead! Perhaps a new album with Janet in the lead could follow. Such plan would certainly bolster the career of the brothers and her, proving the Jacksons remain a force to be reckoned with - are capable of new material - and CAN tour with classic material (still sung by a relevant Jackson). Just my thinking....

cool

janet can't sing mj's parts b/c she can barely sing her own songs well. i mean, really? you truly think she can step into his shoes? moreover, she is happy having the spotlight on herself as a solo singer, although i found it weird she expected mj to go on tour w/their brothers when asked and was upset that he didn't want to.

i proposed in another thread that the jacksons could have replaced mj a long time ago with another singer and became a different group. not a family group, but a band that just happened to have related members e.g., the isleys, ewf. hell, as soul posted, they could have found an mj-sound-alike a long time ago, too. the supremes got jean terrell, who sounded just enough like diana ross. that falsetto dude who stepped into smokey's shoes gave the miracles two of their biggest hits - 'do it' and 'love machine'.

but it's all far, far, far too late for that now. i believe that the brothers will play a few dates, which won't be well received, and the rest of the tour will be cancelled.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 06/11/12 2:45pm

smoothcriminal
12

kibbles said:

FormerlyKnownAs said:

WHAT CAN POSSIBLY SAVE THE JACKSONS & THE "UNITY" TOUR????

J-A-N-E-T !!!

Yep, that's right... Miss Jackson! Here are my thoughts:

Janet was getting a positive response a few months ago when she was the rumored replacement on 'X-Factor.' You have to admit, it probably would have done her career some good, to be seen weekly by TV audiences, taken under the wing of Simon Cowell, and have a venue should she want to push her next album to a mass market and resurrect what seems to be a dwindling music career. She is talented, but seems to be less of an influence with each album, going back as far as follow-ups to the brilliant "Control" and "Rhythm Nation."

Fast forward. The Jackson brothers decide to go on tour. It is good that they are working on a new album and that is the purpose of this upcoming tour, but how do they expect to sell it without classic Jackson 5 songs that were sung by Michael? The only shot in the arm, I can see, would be to have Janet come along and pay tribute to her late brother by singing his parts. Sure, she would have to put her Janet Jackson career and songs on the back- burner, but it would only be temporary. I think she would do a fantastic job with songs like, "I Want You Back," "ABC," and "The Love You Save." Plus, she can dance!

If the tour, with Janet, were to be a success, perhaps the Jackson brothers would consider re-inventing themselves as a new Jackson 5, with Janet in the lead! Perhaps a new album with Janet in the lead could follow. Such plan would certainly bolster the career of the brothers and her, proving the Jacksons remain a force to be reckoned with - are capable of new material - and CAN tour with classic material (still sung by a relevant Jackson). Just my thinking....

cool

janet can't sing mj's parts b/c she can barely sing her own songs well.

Well damn. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 06/11/12 2:54pm

kibbles

smoothcriminal12 said:

kibbles said:

janet can't sing mj's parts b/c she can barely sing her own songs well.

Well damn. lol

if i'm lying, i'm dying. (you know it's true. . .)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 06/11/12 2:59pm

smoothcriminal
12

kibbles said:

smoothcriminal12 said:

Well damn. lol

if i'm lying, i'm dying. (you know it's true. . .)

I'm a Janet fan, but...just damn. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 06/13/12 4:58am

SoulAlive

I think I have found the solution lol

Remember the group 3T,which consisted of Tito's three sons? Take the lead singer (he's a grown man now) and make him the lead singer of the Jacksons! After many years of "studying" his famous uncle,he should be able to sing and dance just like Michael.He should know all the songs.I bet he would be honored to do this.Plus,he's Tito's son,so this would truly be a family affair.

HQImage DetailGetty Images

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 06/13/12 5:18am

alphastreet

SoulAlive said:

I think I have found the solution lol

Remember the group 3T,which consisted of Tito's three sons? Take the lead singer (he's a grown man now) and make him the lead singer of the Jacksons! After many years of "studying" his famous uncle,he should be able to sing and dance just like Michael.He should know all the songs.I bet he would be honored to do this.Plus,he's Tito's son,so this would truly be a family affair.

HQImage DetailGetty Images

He could sing on a "Michael Jackson" album and insist it's really mj singing lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 06/13/12 6:09am

SoulAlive

lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 06/20/12 10:23am

NaughtyKitty

avatar

Without Michael, Jackson brothers prepare to tour

BURBANK, Calif. (AP) — Guided by a thumping bass line from their backing band, the Jackson brothers strut forward to a row of four microphones, thrusting their pelvises along the way, before launching into "Can't Let Her Get Away," a song their superstar sibling released on his "Dangerous" album. If they had afros and matching powder blue suits, it might feel like 1977 again.

It doesn't. They're casually sporting sunglasses, workout gear and a few more pounds than when they, along with the future King of Pop, were simply known as the Jackson 5. (Also, "Can't Let Her Get Away" was released in 1991 after the group fizzled out.)

Nearly three years since Michael died while preparing for his comeback tour, four of his brothers —Marlon, Jermaine, Tito and Jackie — are set for their own return to the stage as The Jacksons. It hasn't been easy.

"The brothers don't know this, but I've broken down several times and cried during rehearsals," said Jermaine during a recent rehearsal break on a soundstage in Burbank, Calif. "I'm so used to Michael being on the right and then Marlon, Jackie, on and on. It's just something we never get used to."

The brothers are launching their "Unity" tour on Wednesday, five days ahead of the third anniversary of Michael's death from an overdose of the anesthetic propofol on June 25, 2009.

"For me, this cycle that comes around every year — this day, that day — that doesn't affect me because it affects me every day," said Marlon. "When that day comes around, it's the same. You learn to live with it. I still wake up sometimes and go, 'Jeez. I can't believe my brother's not here.'"

Following Michael's death, the four brothers appeared in the A&E reality series " The Jacksons: A Family Dynasty," which chronicled their loss and attempt to stage a comeback before their brother died.

Jermaine said the brothers have wanted to reunite on their own for years, but after Michael's passing, they needed time to heal — and the tour is another step in that process. They've rearranged their classics to suit their voices, and Jermaine said the group plans to pay tribute to Michael during their shows with a slideshow and medley that will conclude with the tune "Gone Too Soon."

"There's certain songs that make you feel the sorrow," said Tito. "Then again, there are other songs that bring so much joy and happiness, such as 'ABC' and 'I Want You Back' and the up-tempo stuff like 'This Place Hotel.' I just imagine how he used to walk and spin and do all these things. You can feel his presence here."

The Jacksons' tour kicks off at Rama Casino in Ontario, Canada, and is scheduled to end July 29 at the Snoqualmie Casino Amphitheater in Snoqualmie, Wash. Other stops include Detroit's Fox Theatre, Los Angeles' Greek Theatre and Harlem's sold-out Apollo Theatre, where the Jackson 5 won an amateur night in 1969 before rocketing to fame.

Michael later forged unprecedented success as a solo artist. His superstardom was unrivaled, and his brothers couldn't capture similar acclaim or sales with their solo projects or last studio album, 1989's mostly Michael-less "2300 Jackson Street," but their legacy as a group has remained unchanged. The Jackson 5 were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997.

While various combinations of the brothers have reunited to perform over the years, including at last year's "Michael Forever" tribute concert in Wales, "Unity" will mark the first time the brothers have toured together since their final "Victory" outing in 1984. (Marlon said Randy, who officially joined The Jacksons in 1975, elected not to join the tour but noted that the youngest Jackson brother was welcome at any time.)

"We have a certain magic," said Jackie. "Once we get out here and run it down a couple times, it comes back to you. I'm not (moving) like I used to, but we still got it."

Will the fans think so — and will they turn out to see The Jacksons, whose ages now range from 55 to 61, perform their hits without Michael?

Last year, Cirque du Soleil launched "Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour" in Las Vegas. The show featuring dancers and acrobatic acts performing routines set to M.J. tunes has been among the top touring acts this year, and "Immortal" will return to Vegas for a residency at the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino.

However, Gary Bongiovanni, editor-in-chief of concert industry trade publication Pollstar, doesn't believe The Jacksons will achieve similar success with their smaller endeavor.

"The Jacksons were really all about Michael," said Bongiovanni. "The Cirque du Soleil show was successful because it was Cirque du Soleil and Michael's music. I don't know if that portends much for the remaining brothers and their ability to generate enthusiasm for ticket sales."

The brothers are undaunted, hoping to release an album of new music then go back out on tour.

"It's like riding a bike," said Marlon. "You never forget, but you do need to tweak a few things."

___

http://news.yahoo.com/wit...22401.html

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 06/20/12 11:42am

vainandy

avatar

When the "star" of a group dies, it's time to end the group. The Jacksons touring without Michael Jackson is about as rediculous as The Time touring without Morris Day, Klymaxx touring without Bernadette Cooper, or Zapp touring without Roger Troutman. Band members can be replaced but the "star" of the group can never be replaced.

Jermaine would probably do better touring alone performing his solo stuff because they're his songs that he himself was known for. He would never draw a crowd like The Jacksons would if Michael were still alive but at least he wouldn't look like a money hungry desperate fool riding the coat tails of a ghost.

Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 06/20/12 11:48am

vainandy

avatar

SoulAlive said:

I was just thinking about your idea and while I don't think Janet should fill that role (singing MJ's songs),how about the brothers adding another member to the group?? An amzing,male vocalist who can dance and sing all of Michael's parts! It doesn't even have to be someone famous,just someone with stage presence who can really sing and dance.Many bands replace a lead singer,for various reasons.Journey tours these days with a guy who sounds just like Steve Perry.

Janet would look rediculous trying to fill Michael's shoes and a really great outsider coming in and taking over the role still wouldn't be the same no matter how good he was. It would be no different than going to a local club and watching a local band playing Jacksons covers at a Jacksons tribute night. It would feel like going to a show to watch an Elvis impersonator. I might pay a little $5 or $10 cover charge at a club to see something like that since there's nothing else to do these days but I would never pay the price of a full fledged concert ticket to see it. It's just time for the group to end but they refuse to believe it because they're so money hungry.

.

.

.

[Edited 6/20/12 11:50am]

Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 06/20/12 12:21pm

MickyDolenz

vainandy said:

Zapp touring without Roger Troutman

Zapp is still performing though. Look at the Temptations. They're two different groups, the official one with Otis Williams and the other one with Dennis Edwards.

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. ~ Johnnie Taylor
If a person can't get in a vehicle and actually do it, then it shouldn't be filmed. ~ John Schneider on CGI car stunts
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 06/20/12 12:37pm

babynoz

dreamfactory313 said:

I have tix to the 7/20 show in Vegas.

I would go if they came to my area too. Some of us were huge fans of the J5/Jacksons, not just MJ. Whether or not there's still enough of us left to support a tour is anybody's guess.

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 06/20/12 1:10pm

vainandy

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

vainandy said:

Zapp touring without Roger Troutman

Zapp is still performing though. Look at the Temptations. They're two different groups, the official one with Otis Williams and the other one with Dennis Edwards.

The Stone City Band also continues to perform without Rick James also. I don't know if they tour or just put on a show every now and then as a tribute to Rick. But I can't see anybody making any money enough to go out on the road and tour with these type of shows though. A tribute show is fine but when it's an ongoing tour night after night, it just looks extremely desperate.

Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 06/20/12 1:12pm

kibbles

NaughtyKitty said:

Without Michael, Jackson brothers prepare to tour

BURBANK, Calif. (AP) — Guided by a thumping bass line from their backing band, the Jackson brothers strut forward to a row of four microphones, thrusting their pelvises along the way, before launching into "Can't Let Her Get Away," a song their superstar sibling released on his "Dangerous" album. If they had afros and matching powder blue suits, it might feel like 1977 again.

http://news.yahoo.com/wit...22401.html

this has the look and sound of 'FAIL' all over it. lol well, i'm sure the reviews will be in by tonight and perhaps i will be proved wrong.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Feeling that the Jackson's "Unity Tour" is going to get CANCELED!