independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 13th Nov 2018 2:31pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > "Gett Off" Maxi-Single
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/31/18 9:25am

TrcikyChristop
her

"Gett Off" Maxi-Single

WB did a horrible job sending this to digital platforms.
Sounds like it's completely missing either the left or right channel and was encoded in mono.
Sounds horrible.
I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere but I know Spotify does, so I'm assuming that's how it was serviced.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/01/18 2:58pm

luvsexy4all

theres a get off in-house cassette compilation also

1. Hurley's Funk Mix
2. Hurley's Funky Dub
3. Silky House Mix
4. Flutestramental
5. Rosie's Dub
6. Hurley's Funky 7"
7. Silky's House 7"
8. Promo Versi

[Edited 11/3/18 10:02am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/02/18 1:21am

HamsterHuey

I do not know how it is on other platforms, but on Deezer there was a version that I think was not released the official way, it appeared on the same profile (Prince has different identifiers on Deezer) that also has numerous unofficial live recordings.
I can't seem to find it now, though, so it seems they have taken it offline on there.

It appeared at the same time as the Vanity 6 album. two official and one unofficial Madhouse albums and the The Family album, all of which have since disappeared. The cover art of The Family was a horrible tiny photocopy, so you kind of knew it wasn't legit, if the inclusion of Madhouse's 24 wasn't enough to give it away.

The live recordings are still there, though.

>>
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/02/18 6:37pm

TheBoneRanger

TrcikyChristopher said:

WB did a horrible job sending this to digital platforms. Sounds like it's completely missing either the left or right channel and was encoded in mono. Sounds horrible. I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere but I know Spotify does, so I'm assuming that's how it was serviced.

-

This might just be my favorite Prince maxi-single. If what you say is true then whoever is in charge of these things to get this shit straightened out asap.

mad

Hi-yo Silver, it's The Bone Ranger!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/02/18 8:50pm

databank

avatar

HamsterHuey said:

I do not know how it is on other platforms, but on Deezer there was a version that I think was not released the official way, it appeared on the same profile (Prince has different identifiers on Deezer) that also has numerous unofficial live recordings.
I can't seem to find it now, though, so it seems they have taken it offline on there.

It appeared at the same time as the Vanity 6 album. two official and one unofficial Madhouse albums and the The Family album, all of which have since disappeared. The cover art of The Family was a horrible tiny photocopy, so you kind of knew it wasn't legit, if the inclusion of Madhouse's 24 wasn't enough to give it away.

The live recordings are still there, though.

Not cool.

I'm all for piracy but on piracy sites, not oficial sites, or it becomes a mess.

I believe the 'leggers are trying to use and abuse the UK/EU law loophole about broadcasts copyright, but I remember them cheating by adding shows that weren't broadcast, such as the 3 Miami 94 shows (same on Amazon).

Instead of suing Eye Records...

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/04/18 1:01am

embmmusic

While we're on the subject of this maxi single, I have to say it is a nightmare for those of us who like to catalogue all of the various different alternate versions of songs. Some of the remixes share a name and at least one of them has the names swapped for the UK and US releases. Took me over an hour of ripping my CD and vinyl releases to my PC to compare and contrast them and checking against Prince Vault just to catalogue the remixes for this one song.


[img:$uid]http://img203.i.../img:$uid]

[Edited 11/4/18 1:07am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/04/18 3:26am

databank

avatar

embmmusic said:

While we're on the subject of this maxi single, I have to say it is a nightmare for those of us who like to catalogue all of the various different alternate versions of songs. Some of the remixes share a name and at least one of them has the names swapped for the UK and US releases. Took me over an hour of ripping my CD and vinyl releases to my PC to compare and contrast them and checking against Prince Vault just to catalogue the remixes for this one song.


[img:$uid]http://img203.i.../img:$uid]

[Edited 11/4/18 1:07am]

Normally with just Pvault and track lengths it isn't much of a problem, since they indicate alternate titles.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/06/18 5:07am

player

luvsexy4all said:

theres a get off in-house cassette compilation also

1. Hurley's Funk Mix
2. Hurley's Funky Dub
3. Silky House Mix
4. Flutestramental
5. Rosie's Dub
6. Hurley's Funky 7"
7. Silky's House 7"
8. Promo Versi

[Edited 11/3/18 10:02am]

Woud love to see a picture of this if you have it!? The 'Promo Version' is new to me...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/06/18 10:12am

databank

avatar

player said:

luvsexy4all said:

theres a get off in-house cassette compilation also

1. Hurley's Funk Mix
2. Hurley's Funky Dub
3. Silky House Mix
4. Flutestramental
5. Rosie's Dub
6. Hurley's Funky 7"
7. Silky's House 7"
8. Promo Versi

[Edited 11/3/18 10:02am]

Woud love to see a picture of this if you have it!? The 'Promo Version' is new to me...

In-house is different from promo.

.

In-house = For private/corporate use only, not targeted at anyone outside the record company and the artist's entourage.

Content isn't supposed to reach anyone from the outside, let alone the audience.

.

Promo = Not for sale item sent

1/ to the media for reviewing purposed, or

2/ to the media broadcast/streaming purpose, or

3/ to shops for being played in the store, or

4/ to DJ's to be played in clubs.

Content may be easy to record (as with TV/radio broadcasts and streams) or harder to obtain by fans (as with the other categories), but in all cases, the items are being sent out in the outside world, and therefore can be resold and/or duplicated.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/06/18 5:14pm

kewlschool

avatar

Which version of the Maxi-Single?

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/06/18 9:56pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

There is the birthday promo with an additional 6 mixes of get off lol

I know the promo has a few exclusive versions.
A few might be indentical or slightly different from those released


Oh and there the damn near 10 minute promo lol
Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/07/18 2:45am

player

databank said:

player said:

Woud love to see a picture of this if you have it!? The 'Promo Version' is new to me...

In-house is different from promo.

.

In-house = For private/corporate use only, not targeted at anyone outside the record company and the artist's entourage.

Content isn't supposed to reach anyone from the outside, let alone the audience.

.

Promo = Not for sale item sent

1/ to the media for reviewing purposed, or

2/ to the media broadcast/streaming purpose, or

3/ to shops for being played in the store, or

4/ to DJ's to be played in clubs.

Content may be easy to record (as with TV/radio broadcasts and streams) or harder to obtain by fans (as with the other categories), but in all cases, the items are being sent out in the outside world, and therefore can be resold and/or duplicated.

Thanks databank, I know the difference. I was talking about track 8, the 'Promo Versi', or perhaps that's a mistake...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/07/18 3:59am

darkroman

There is a similar issue with Alphabet St and The Most Beautiful Girl In The World, where some of the same remixes have different names.

wink

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/07/18 5:37am

databank

avatar

player said:

databank said:

In-house is different from promo.

.

In-house = For private/corporate use only, not targeted at anyone outside the record company and the artist's entourage.

Content isn't supposed to reach anyone from the outside, let alone the audience.

.

Promo = Not for sale item sent

1/ to the media for reviewing purposed, or

2/ to the media broadcast/streaming purpose, or

3/ to shops for being played in the store, or

4/ to DJ's to be played in clubs.

Content may be easy to record (as with TV/radio broadcasts and streams) or harder to obtain by fans (as with the other categories), but in all cases, the items are being sent out in the outside world, and therefore can be resold and/or duplicated.

Thanks databank, I know the difference. I was talking about track 8, the 'Promo Versi', or perhaps that's a mistake...

Oh sorry I thought u meant the inhouse cassette was new to u.

That promo mix isn't listed on Pvault. The (supposedly) whole tape is on Mixcloud and it's listed in the tracklist, but I didn't check how many versions are really there. https://www.mixcloud.com/...ette-1991/

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/07/18 8:43am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

player said:

luvsexy4all said:

theres a get off in-house cassette compilation also

1. Hurley's Funk Mix
2. Hurley's Funky Dub
3. Silky House Mix
4. Flutestramental
5. Rosie's Dub
6. Hurley's Funky 7"
7. Silky's House 7"
8. Promo Versi

[Edited 11/3/18 10:02am]

Woud love to see a picture of this if you have it!? The 'Promo Version' is new to me...


Mine's in storage. I have picture associated with the mp3 files but I'm not sure how to share just the pic.

The Hurley mixes of Gett Off are dope. Classic 90s sounds.

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/07/18 8:58am

darkroman

databank said:

player said:

Thanks databank, I know the difference. I was talking about track 8, the 'Promo Versi', or perhaps that's a mistake...

Oh sorry I thought u meant the inhouse cassette was new to u.

That promo mix isn't listed on Pvault. The (supposedly) whole tape is on Mixcloud and it's listed in the tracklist, but I didn't check how many versions are really there. https://www.mixcloud.com/...ette-1991/


I have looked at this in detail before and I concluded the 'promo mix' doesn't exist as I have never seen any evidence of it.

If the version on Mixcloud is the whole tape then he first 7 mixes are accounted for:

1. Gett Off (Hurley's Funk Mix) 6:04 mins
2. Gett Off (Hurley's Funky Dub) 4:16 mins
3. Gett Off (Silky House Mix) 8:22 mins
4. Gett Off (Flutestramental) 4:11 mins
5. Gett Off (Rosie's Dub) 5:32 mins
6. Gett Off (Hurley's Funky 7inch) 4:11 mins
7. Gett Off (Silky's House 7inch) 4:19 mins

Track 7 cuts out during the fade.

It is easy for the cassette as a whole to be labelled 'Promo Version' and then someone in error (and ignorance of the content) added a number to the last line.

As a serious collector I question everything and I feel this is just a mistake that has just been passed down through time.

wink

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/08/18 2:43am

player

databank said:

player said:

Thanks databank, I know the difference. I was talking about track 8, the 'Promo Versi', or perhaps that's a mistake...

Oh sorry I thought u meant the inhouse cassette was new to u.

That promo mix isn't listed on Pvault. The (supposedly) whole tape is on Mixcloud and it's listed in the tracklist, but I didn't check how many versions are really there. https://www.mixcloud.com/...ette-1991/

#mozart haha, love it. Thanks for the link. Would love a rip of this if someone could point me in the right direction!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/08/18 3:29am

databank

avatar

player said:



databank said:




player said:



Thanks databank, I know the difference. I was talking about track 8, the 'Promo Versi', or perhaps that's a mistake...



Oh sorry I thought u meant the inhouse cassette was new to u.


That promo mix isn't listed on Pvault. The (supposedly) whole tape is on Mixcloud and it's listed in the tracklist, but I didn't check how many versions are really there. https://www.mixcloud.com/...ette-1991/



#mozart haha, love it. Thanks for the link. Would love a rip of this if someone could point me in the right direction!


You can rip it from Mixcloud. Then separate the trax.
[Edited 11/8/18 3:31am]
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/08/18 11:43am

darkroman

I found an image for this which I have uploaded for those interested:

WeTransfer Link


wink

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 11/09/18 11:31am

violetcrush

darkroman said:

I found an image for this which I have uploaded for those interested:

WeTransfer Link


wink

Wow, that tape is a blast from the past biggrin

*

Who's Hurley???

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 11/09/18 3:04pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

Might as well bring up the Gangster Glam Remixes lol
There's like 6-8 unreleased remixes.
I believe they were mixed by the same Hurley guy
Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 11/09/18 8:07pm

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

Steve "Silk" Hurley was a pretty big deal in the late 80s/early 90s. He did quite a bit of remixes for the mega stars of that time, including Madonna and Michael Jackson.

Also, his "Music Is The Key" rap by JM Silk (a collaborative effort with Keith Nunnaly) was used by Prince in Cindy C., and the unreleased full version of Positivity. Some of the synth sounds seem to resemble those of Superfunkycalifragisexy in that song as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_%22Silk%22_Hurley



[Edited 11/9/18 20:27pm]

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 11/10/18 8:26am

violetcrush

SchlomoThaHomo said:

Steve "Silk" Hurley was a pretty big deal in the late 80s/early 90s. He did quite a bit of remixes for the mega stars of that time, including Madonna and Michael Jackson.

Also, his "Music Is The Key" rap by JM Silk (a collaborative effort with Keith Nunnaly) was used by Prince in Cindy C., and the unreleased full version of Positivity. Some of the synth sounds seem to resemble those of Superfunkycalifragisexy in that song as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_%22Silk%22_Hurley



[Edited 11/9/18 20:27pm]

Thanks for the info Schlomo!!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 11/12/18 3:53am

player

FragileUndertow said:

Might as well bring up the Gangster Glam Remixes lol There's like 6-8 unreleased remixes. I believe they were mixed by the same Hurley guy

Yeah, didn't know these even existed!?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > "Gett Off" Maxi-Single