independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 22nd May 2019 11:59pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Amazing version of Purple Rain
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/12/18 4:17pm

maceoparker007

Amazing version of Purple Rain

Take a look at this! Great to watch.... https://youtu.be/o6Wi6oPdBRA
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/13/18 4:20pm

bonatoc

avatar

Not the proper chords. It's not the same without susses.
Here's a looper who also tries.
A difficult exercise.






Here are two guys that get this is a country song at heart.
It's pretty good, they know it's better to understate it.
The original is the definition of boombastic (in the best sense), how could you top it?
This takes it back to Dolly Parton's first records. No big reverb or echo, no FX, just wood, skin and bones.





Another gang that proves Prince is just an extraordinary songwriter,
the first time he tries country stadium he just nails it. Maybe not as fast as WDC, it took more time to polish,
but there is no doubt it can be arranged close to what it originally is.
It misses gospel, but kudos to remake it as a 6/8 bluegrass. It deserves better arrangements
and more skilled musicians, but let's not be picky.





My favorite is still Eva's take: short, clunky, and suddenly a storm inside while keeping it cool on the outside.
Prince's Tele sounds like a woman crying her heart out on Purple Rain.
She's pretty close, she goes overboard, but who cares? It's amateurs night. She goes for it.
BTW, this one was self-shot in 2014, at least one is not a latecomer.
Note the guitar's brand: Cheap™. Just like the original Honer.





[Edited 10/13/18 16:23pm]

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/14/18 11:41am

peggyon

maceoparker007 said:

Take a look at this! Great to watch.... https://youtu.be/o6Wi6oPdBRA

Wow!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/14/18 1:55pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Mesmerizing and ethereal! Very cool!
President Trump is a disgusting piece of shit.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/14/18 4:35pm

paulludvig

bonatoc said:

Not the proper chords. It's not the same without susses.
Here's a looper who also tries.
A difficult exercise.






Here are two guys that get this is a country song at heart.
It's pretty good, they know it's better to understate it.
The original is the definition of boombastic (in the best sense), how could you top it?
This takes it back to Dolly Parton's first records. No big reverb or echo, no FX, just wood, skin and bones.





Another gang that proves Prince is just an extraordinary songwriter,
the first time he tries country stadium he just nails it. Maybe not as fast as WDC, it took more time to polish,
but there is no doubt it can be arranged close to what it originally is.
It misses gospel, but kudos to remake it as a 6/8 bluegrass. It deserves better arrangements
and more skilled musicians, but let's not be picky.





My favorite is still Eva's take: short, clunky, and suddenly a storm inside while keeping it cool on the outside.
Prince's Tele sounds like a woman crying her heart out on Purple Rain.
She's pretty close, she goes overboard, but who cares? It's amateurs night. She goes for it.
BTW, this one was self-shot in 2014, at least one is not a latecomer.
Note the guitar's brand: Cheap™. Just like the original Honer.





[Edited 10/13/18 16:23pm]



None of these guys play the "proper chords". The song was probably written on piano anyway.
Btw would have loved to have heard Prince do a show playing all the instruments himself creating loops.
[Edited 10/14/18 16:46pm]
The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/15/18 2:33am

bonatoc

avatar

paulludvig said:

bonatoc said:


None of these guys play the "proper chords".

The song was probably written on piano anyway.

Btw would have loved to have heard Prince do a show playing all the instruments himself creating loops.


This one does.



It's hard to tell. "Probably"? Well, it's as probable it originated on guitar first, being a country song at heart.

About the loops: hell heaven yeah.
I still don't buy no one ever recorded him in the studio for a full day,
just to document how fast he was recording a whole song.
I'll sell the bike shop on the spot for a 1985 studio documentary.

[Edited 10/15/18 2:35am]

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/15/18 8:59am

paulludvig

bonatoc said:



paulludvig said:


bonatoc said:






None of these guys play the "proper chords".

The song was probably written on piano anyway.

Btw would have loved to have heard Prince do a show playing all the instruments himself creating loops.


This one does.





It's hard to tell. "Probably"? Well, it's as probable it originated on guitar first, being a country song at heart.

About the loops: hell heaven yeah.
I still don't buy no one ever recorded him in the studio for a full day,
just to document how fast he was recording a whole song.
I'll sell the bike shop on the spot for a 1985 studio documentary.

[Edited 10/15/18 2:35am]



The chords make more sense on a piano I think. On guitar you end up with an awkward finger placements, at least as it was originally played.
The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/15/18 9:08am

RodeoSchro

avatar

Excellent, thank you for posting!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/15/18 9:48am

paulludvig

bonatoc said:



paulludvig said:


bonatoc said:






None of these guys play the "proper chords".

The song was probably written on piano anyway.

Btw would have loved to have heard Prince do a show playing all the instruments himself creating loops.


This one does.





It's hard to tell. "Probably"? Well, it's as probable it originated on guitar first, being a country song at heart.

About the loops: hell heaven yeah.
I still don't buy no one ever recorded him in the studio for a full day,
just to document how fast he was recording a whole song.
I'll sell the bike shop on the spot for a 1985 studio documentary.

[Edited 10/15/18 2:35am]



Interesting that he hears two rhythm guitars. What do we know about overdubs and re-recorded parts for this song?
The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/15/18 12:51pm

bonatoc

avatar

paulludvig said:

The chords make more sense on a piano I think. On guitar you end up with an awkward finger placements, at least as it was originally played.


Well, these are the original chords.
If you look at Wendy's hand, that is what she does.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Amazing version of Purple Rain