independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 17th Oct 2018 4:34pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Watched Grafitti Bridge the movie for the first time in years - I now admit it's not his greatest moment
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/03/18 1:33am

SoftSkarlettLo
visa

Watched Grafitti Bridge the movie for the first time in years - I now admit it's not his greatest moment

I watched the Grafitti Bridge movie last night, for the first time in 11 years, from start to end. The heaven-like atsmophere mixed with dark urban setting is nice, and I love the soundtrack, and Prince's look/image is my ultimate favourite. However, I don't think this was one of Prince's greatest moments. I heard Madonna turned down the role of Aura after reading the script.

Your thoughts?

[Edited 9/3/18 3:16am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/03/18 2:24am

mechanicalemot
ion17

It seems to get even worse with time. nod nod

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/03/18 5:32am

donnyenglish

I did the same thing a few weeks ago and I could not defend it. So many cringe worthy moments. 89-92 was the lowpoint in his career both in the studio and live, but there were some bright spots.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/03/18 7:23am

ThePanther

avatar

I haven't seen it since about 1992 or something when it was on TV (I think). I have been meaning to watch it again, just to see if I can get through it.

A couple years ago I tried to watch Under the Cherry Moon for the first time. I couldn't make it. It was too (a) boring and (b) cringeworthy.

Graffiti Bridge may be worse...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/03/18 7:37am

jaawwnn

avatar

Under the Cherry Moon is bad but it has a charm of its own as long as you're not looking for a good film. Graffiti Bridge, uh, doesn't. The trailer is decent though. There's a few passable scenes/performances but, God, that's not really much of a recommendation is it?

[Edited 9/3/18 7:39am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/03/18 7:43am

Kares

Just watch it as a bunch of videos, just like '3 Chains O' Gold', and it's okay. Don't expect to see a movie. smile

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/03/18 8:30am

antonb

easily one of the worst films ever made. Sorry, it just is.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/03/18 9:01am

rednblue

donnyenglish said:

I did the same thing a few weeks ago and I could not defend it. So many cringe worthy moments. 89-92 was the lowpoint in his career both in the studio and live, but there were some bright spots.



[Edited 9/3/18 9:04am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/03/18 9:03am

rednblue

rednblue said:

donnyenglish said:

I did the same thing a few weeks ago and I could not defend it. So many cringe worthy moments. 89-92 was the lowpoint in his career both in the studio and live, but there were some bright spots.


Please excuse the off-topic aside, but to my taste, this is a very bright spot.


https://www.youtube.com/w...Y_xsUpABiQ



 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/03/18 9:13am

heymistermusic

avatar

I watched it with Sonshine the other night, and I still find it delightful! The music performances are perfection (just the way PRINCE always wanted it) and I still use some quotes from the movie in my own life.

Watch it for the jokes performed by Morris and Jerome, and stay for the music, then you might enjoy the movie a bit more.

If you turn it on looking to compare it to acadamy award winning movies, you'll be disappointed. If you wanna reply to this thread with some of the great quotes you remember from the film, I bet we can inspre others to appreciate this movie too!


 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/03/18 9:18am

CatB



Is it wrong to like it? Cause I do. I actually LOVE it. Cherry Moon is the one that never made sense to me.



"Time is space spent with U"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/03/18 9:19am

onlyforaminute

Eh, I don't find it unwatchable or the worst movie of all time. Corny, yes, self-indulgent, yes.
"If you want the wise man to be as angry as the unworthiness of the crimes demands, he must become not angry but insane."
- Seneca, On Anger 2.9.4
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/03/18 10:02am

rednblue


Always imagined P was talking about ideas for Graffiti Bridge here:

"A while back, I had an experience that changed me and made me think differently about how and what I wrote and how I acted toward people. I’m going to make a film about it – not the next one, but the one after that. I’ve wanted to make it for three years now. Don’t get me wrong – I’m still as wild as I was. I’m just funneling it in a different direction. And now I analyze things so much that sometimes I can’t shut my brain off and it hurts. That’s what that movie will be about."

https://www.rollingstone....ken-58812/


 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/03/18 10:44am

laytonian

SoftSkarlettLovisa said:

I watched the Grafitti Bridge movie last night, for the first time in 11 years, from start to end. The heaven-like atsmophere mixed with dark urban setting is nice, and I love the soundtrack, and Prince's look/image is my ultimate favourite. However, I don't think this was one of Prince's greatest moments. I heard Madonna turned down the role of Aura after reading the script.

Your thoughts?

[Edited 9/3/18 3:16am]

I've watched it once. My husband asked "How was it?"
My reply: "Now I know why he changed his name to that symbol."

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/03/18 12:54pm

sonshine

avatar

heymistermusic said:

I watched it with Sonshine the other night, and I still find it delightful! The music performances are perfection (just the way PRINCE always wanted it) and I still use some quotes from the movie in my own life.

Watch it for the jokes performed by Morris and Jerome, and stay for the music, then you might enjoy the movie a bit more.

If you turn it on looking to compare it to acadamy award winning movies, you'll be disappointed. If you wanna reply to this thread with some of the great quotes you remember from the film, I bet we can inspre others to appreciate this movie too!




It's definitely more tolerable/fun with fellow fans wink I can't get past those amateurish sets tho especially the Grafitti Bridge scene when Morris and Jerome pull up to check out Aura Lol
It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/03/18 1:11pm

ufoclub

avatar

I once saw this at the dollar movies, and the comments from the audience were hilarious!

"That's my picnic cloth!"

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/04/18 6:52am

rednblue

rednblue said:


Always imagined P was talking about ideas for Graffiti Bridge here:

"A while back, I had an experience that changed me and made me think differently about how and what I wrote and how I acted toward people. I’m going to make a film about it – not the next one, but the one after that. I’ve wanted to make it for three years now. Don’t get me wrong – I’m still as wild as I was. I’m just funneling it in a different direction. And now I analyze things so much that sometimes I can’t shut my brain off and it hurts. That’s what that movie will be about."

https://www.rollingstone....ken-58812/



Edited to continue quote from above article:

"What was the experience that changed you?

I don’t really want to get into it specifically. During the Dirty Mind period, I would go into fits of depression and get physically ill. I would have to call people to help me get out of it. I don’t do that anymore.

What were you depressed about?

A lot had to do with the band’s situation, the fact that I couldn’t make people in the band understand how great we could all be together if we all played our part. A lot also had to do with being in love with someone and not getting any love back. And there was the fact that I didn’t talk much with my father and sister. Anyway, a lot of things happened in this two-day period, but I don’t want to get into it right now.

How’d you get over it?

That’s what the movie’s going to be about. Paisley Park is the only way I can say I got over it now. Paisley Park is the place one should find in oneself, where one can go when one is alone."

[Edited 9/4/18 8:45am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/04/18 7:11am

nelcp777

rednblue said:



rednblue said:



Always imagined P was talking about ideas for Graffiti Bridge here:

"A while back, I had an experience that changed me and made me think differently about how and what I wrote and how I acted toward people. I’m going to make a film about it – not the next one, but the one after that. I’ve wanted to make it for three years now. Don’t get me wrong – I’m still as wild as I was. I’m just funneling it in a different direction. And now I analyze things so much that sometimes I can’t shut my brain off and it hurts. That’s what that movie will be about."

https://www.rollingstone....ken-58812/





Edited to continue quote from above article:

"How’d you get over it?


I don’t really want to get into it specifically. During the Dirty Mind period, I would go into fits of depression and get physically ill. I would have to call people to help me get out of it. I don’t do that anymore.


What were you depressed about?

A lot had to do with the band’s situation, the fact that I couldn’t make people in the band understand how great we could all be together if we all played our part. A lot also had to do with being in love with someone and not getting any love back. And there was the fact that I didn’t talk much with my father and sister. Anyway, a lot of things happened in this two-day period, but I don’t want to get into it right now.

How’d you get over it?

That’s what the movie’s going to be about. Paisley Park is the only way I can say I got over it now. Paisley Park is the place one should find in oneself, where one can go when one is alone."


Thanks very interesting
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/04/18 7:14am

alandail

laytonian said:

SoftSkarlettLovisa said:

I watched the Grafitti Bridge movie last night, for the first time in 11 years, from start to end. The heaven-like atsmophere mixed with dark urban setting is nice, and I love the soundtrack, and Prince's look/image is my ultimate favourite. However, I don't think this was one of Prince's greatest moments. I heard Madonna turned down the role of Aura after reading the script.

Your thoughts?

[Edited 9/3/18 3:16am]

I've watched it once. My husband asked "How was it?"
My reply: "Now I know why he changed his name to that symbol."

falloff

Customized apparel and gifts - http://www.inktastic.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/04/18 8:20am

Genesia

avatar

I always said that Prince owed me a fi' dollah refund on my ticket. I was unemployed when I paid to see that mess - and had to eat peanut butter sandwiches for a week to make up the loss.

Now that he's gone, I'm going after the estate. It's the principle of the thing.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/04/18 8:22am

MacDaddy

avatar

Genesia said:

I always said that Prince owed me a fi' dollah refund on my ticket. I was unemployed when I paid to see that mess - and had to eat peanut butter sandwiches for a week to make up the loss.

Now that he's gone, I'm going after the estate. It's the principle of the thing.

lol lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 09/04/18 8:52am

rednblue

nelcp777 said:

rednblue said:


Edited to continue quote from above article:

"How’d you get over it?

I don’t really want to get into it specifically. During the Dirty Mind period, I would go into fits of depression and get physically ill. I would have to call people to help me get out of it. I don’t do that anymore.

What were you depressed about?

A lot had to do with the band’s situation, the fact that I couldn’t make people in the band understand how great we could all be together if we all played our part. A lot also had to do with being in love with someone and not getting any love back. And there was the fact that I didn’t talk much with my father and sister. Anyway, a lot of things happened in this two-day period, but I don’t want to get into it right now.

How’d you get over it?

That’s what the movie’s going to be about. Paisley Park is the only way I can say I got over it now. Paisley Park is the place one should find in oneself, where one can go when one is alone."

Thanks very interesting


Thank you! I edited above post, as the "How'd you get over it?" question somehow got repeated when I copied it. The first time it appears is an error. The actual question to which P refers to the Dirty Mind period in his response, is this:

"What was the experience that changed you?"

Sorry. Very busy day, but unduly rushing when posting is never a good thing.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 09/04/18 10:25am

databank

avatar

SoftSkarlettLovisa said:

I watched the Grafitti Bridge movie last night, for the first time in 11 years, from start to end. The heaven-like atsmophere mixed with dark urban setting is nice, and I love the soundtrack, and Prince's look/image is my ultimate favourite. However, I don't think this was one of Prince's greatest moments. I heard Madonna turned down the role of Aura after reading the script.

Your thoughts?

[Edited 9/3/18 3:16am]

Like you said, the atmosphere is charming, there's something about this movie. Now of course the plot doesn't make much sense and the acting leaves a lot to be desired. On the other hand what to expect of movies like this or PR where you in fact have a 45 minutes long short film featuring non-professional actors alongside an hour of music videos.

I loved it deeply in my youth, I found it beautiful and very inspiring, spiritually speaking, when I was 15. And at the same time I was always aware of its numerous flaws. I never objectively considered it a good movie but it's a movie I loved and, like I said above, there is this little something to it that makes it a chaming, if clumsy, arthouse film. I haven't watched it in more than 15 years but I've probably watched it 20 times when I was a teenager, so I still know it by heart after all those years. I actually thought the other day I'll have to watch it again soon. I don't think my opinion will change much, however.

[Edited 9/4/18 10:26am]

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 09/04/18 10:35am

MD431Madcat

avatar

GB SUCKS!!!! neutral

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 09/04/18 11:27am

PeteSilas

ufoclub said:

I once saw this at the dollar movies, and the comments from the audience were hilarious!

"That's my picnic cloth!"

that's great

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 09/04/18 11:32am

PeteSilas

purple rain was a star vehicle directed right at us, the guys who'd heard of Prince, maybe seen him on Bandstand, liked a couple of his songs and were intrigued, this turned me into a diehard forever. Kurt Loder said it was a "great film" no it wasn't but it was perfect for what it was. MJ had turned the music world upside down for the previous few years and Prince had to find something different and he did it with this flick. So, instead of trying to make a fancy video, he made a feature film that was like a fancy video and became our hero in the process.

databank said:

SoftSkarlettLovisa said:

I watched the Grafitti Bridge movie last night, for the first time in 11 years, from start to end. The heaven-like atsmophere mixed with dark urban setting is nice, and I love the soundtrack, and Prince's look/image is my ultimate favourite. However, I don't think this was one of Prince's greatest moments. I heard Madonna turned down the role of Aura after reading the script.

Your thoughts?

[Edited 9/3/18 3:16am]

Like you said, the atmosphere is charming, there's something about this movie. Now of course the plot doesn't make much sense and the acting leaves a lot to be desired. On the other hand what to expect of movies like this or PR where you in fact have a 45 minutes long short film featuring non-professional actors alongside an hour of music videos.

I loved it deeply in my youth, I found it beautiful and very inspiring, spiritually speaking, when I was 15. And at the same time I was always aware of its numerous flaws. I never objectively considered it a good movie but it's a movie I loved and, like I said above, there is this little something to it that makes it a chaming, if clumsy, arthouse film. I haven't watched it in more than 15 years but I've probably watched it 20 times when I was a teenager, so I still know it by heart after all those years. I actually thought the other day I'll have to watch it again soon. I don't think my opinion will change much, however.

[Edited 9/4/18 10:26am]

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 09/04/18 11:34am

PeteSilas

the only thing i'll say in graffiti bridges defense was the character was much more likeable than Christopher Tracy and although both were alter egos, graffiti was probably closer to what Prince was like in his private life.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 09/04/18 11:44am

pricetag

I remember seeing the film at a matinee during its opening week in Times Sq. There were three of us in the audience..and one was a vagrant. When Prince yelled out "we are the new power generation...we're here change the world" the vagrant gave out a loud hiccup. The movie's a loser. The end.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 09/04/18 11:51am

PeteSilas

pricetag said:

I remember seeing the film at a matinee during its opening week in Times Sq. There were three of us in the audience..and one was a vagrant. When Prince yelled out "we are the new power generation...we're here change the world" the vagrant gave out a loud hiccup. The movie's a loser. The end.

haha, you fuckers, there was a cheap theater in seattle where people could go see movies that had left the normal theaters, price was half as much. anyway, there were lots of bums in the audience who just came to get indoors, they were funny as fuck. I remember watching a trailer for dracula where the little girl say's "I want some more" one of the bums goes "yeah!!!"

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 09/04/18 2:10pm

SoulAlive

Kares said:

Just watch it as a bunch of videos, just like '3 Chains O' Gold', and it's okay. Don't expect to see a movie. smile

yeah,this is how I view it biggrin it just doesn't feel like a complete "movie"....just a bunch of music videos strung together with the occasional dialogue in between.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Watched Grafitti Bridge the movie for the first time in years - I now admit it's not his greatest moment