independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 16th Oct 2018 6:14pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Definitive Prince Post Warner Bros. BEST OF Album... (14 Tracks Max)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/21/18 8:59am

soladeo1

Definitive Prince Post Warner Bros. BEST OF Album... (14 Tracks Max)

What do ya'll think??

1. One Kiss At A Time

2. Friend, Lover, Sister, Mother/Wife

3. The Truth

4. I Love U But I Don't Trust U Anymore

5. The Everlasting Now

6. Last December

7. Musicology

8. 3121

9. The One U Wanna C

10. Dreamer

11. Way Back Home

12. Black Muse

13. Revelation

14. FreeUSelf

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/21/18 10:08am

Strive

Here's mine.

1) New World (Emancipation)
2) 3121 (3121)
3) Jam Of The Year (Emancipation)
4) What Do U Want Me 2 Do? (Musicology)
5) Tangerine Extended Mix (Rave in2 the Joy Fantastic)
6) So Far So Pleased (Rave in2 the Joy Fantastic)
7) The Work Pt. 1 (The Rainbow Children)
8) In This Bed I Scream (Emancipation)
9) Family Name (The Rainbow Children)
10) S.S.T. (S.S.T.)
11) Groovy Potential (HITNRUN Phase Two)
12) A Million Days (Musicology)
13) Beautiful Strange (Rave in2 the Joy Fantastic)
14) Last December (The Rainbow Children)
no yesterday or tomorrow, no better remedy for sorrow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/21/18 10:17am

soladeo1

Strive said:

Here's mine. 1) New World (Emancipation) 2) 3121 (3121) 3) Jam Of The Year (Emancipation) 4) What Do U Want Me 2 Do? (Musicology) 5) Tangerine Extended Mix (Rave in2 the Joy Fantastic) 6) So Far So Pleased (Rave in2 the Joy Fantastic) 7) The Work Pt. 1 (The Rainbow Children) 8) In This Bed I Scream (Emancipation) 9) Family Name (The Rainbow Children) 10) S.S.T. (S.S.T.) 11) Groovy Potential (HITNRUN Phase Two) 12) A Million Days (Musicology) 13) Beautiful Strange (Rave in2 the Joy Fantastic) 14) Last December (The Rainbow Children)

GREAT STUFF!!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/21/18 1:07pm

IstenSzek

avatar

since i can never just stick to the amount of tracks alotted, i've made a 2 disc best of album lol


01. When Eye Lay My Hands On U
02. Dance 4 Me
03. F.U.N.K.
04. Future Soul Song
05. Lavaux
06. Big White Mansion
07. Don't Play Me
08. 3121
09. The Word
10. Beautiful Strange
11. Dreamer
12. My Computer
13. In This Bed Eye Scream
14. Reflection


01. Rock n Roll Love Affair
02. Boom
03. Black Muse
04. The Everlasting Now
05. Supercute
06. HardRockLover
07. Mellow
08. 2045: Radical Man
09. One Nite Alone
10. Colonized Mind

11. Time
12. Old Skool Company
13. Way Back Home
14. Revelation





and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/21/18 2:36pm

leecaldon

Incredibly hard to get it down to 14. I've attempted to spread it throughout the period from 1996 to 2016, and structure it vaguely like a Prince album.

Xtralovable

Musicology

Breakdown

Colonised Mind

Chelsea Rodgers

Dance 4 Me

U're Gonna C Me (ONA)

Soul Sanctuary

I Love U But I Don't Trust U Anymore

The Word

Family Name

Way Back Home

Dreamer

Revelation

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/21/18 2:41pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Don’t Play Me
The Truth
Somewhere Here On Earth
Te Amo Corazon
Dreamer
Rock N Roll Love Affair
Súper Cute
Black Sweat
Back To The Lotus
Colonized Mind
Empty Room
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/22/18 5:20am

ThePanther

avatar

I'm not familiar enough (yet) with the whole catalogue to say.

But I will say that "White Mansion" is the best Prince track I've heard post-Warners. (Despite Kirk Johnson's over-production.) It's just stunning... lyrics are fantastic... evocative... witty/playful...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/23/18 7:52am

TheBoneRanger

avatar

ThePanther said:


But I will say that "White Mansion" is the best Prince track I've heard post-Warners. (Despite Kirk Johnson's over-production.) It's just stunning... lyrics are fantastic... evocative... witty/playful...

It's always been one of my favorites, too.

cool

(How 'bout them publishing rights?)
Sell my publishing? What a laugh.
I don't know Bo, but I do know math.


Hi-yo Silver, it's The Bone Ranger!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/23/18 8:19am

leecaldon

TheBoneRanger said:

ThePanther said:


But I will say that "White Mansion" is the best Prince track I've heard post-Warners. (Despite Kirk Johnson's over-production.) It's just stunning... lyrics are fantastic... evocative... witty/playful...

It's always been one of my favorites, too.

cool

(How 'bout them publishing rights?)
Sell my publishing? What a laugh.
I don't know Bo, but I do know math.


Was a standout for me the first time I heard the album, along with My Computer.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/23/18 8:27am

thisisreece

A very difficult task. And some very surprising choices in people's lists (Big White Mansion, I mean it's not bad, but I've never thought it to be all that).

An attempt (not including any albums post 2014):

1. 3121

2. Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic

3. When Eye Lay My Hands on U

4. Beautiful Strange

5. Dreamer

6. Cinnamon Girl

7. Colonized Mind

8. Avalanche

9. The Truth

10. Future Soul Song

11. The Love We Make

12. Family Name

13. West

14. Last December


This wouldn't be a Best Of as such (hardly any of these songs are singles, and the list doesn't include what would have to be included a post-warners Best Of - songs like Musicology and Black Sweat) but instead, a by no means exhaustive collection of some of my favourite post-warner songs. I think it demonstrates the way Prince continued to succeed in being an interesting (musicially and lyrically) artist in his later years.

Hundalasiliah!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/23/18 1:51pm

BanishedBrian

TheBoneRanger said:

ThePanther said:


But I will say that "White Mansion" is the best Prince track I've heard post-Warners. (Despite Kirk Johnson's over-production.) It's just stunning... lyrics are fantastic... evocative... witty/playful...

It's always been one of my favorites, too.

cool

(How 'bout them publishing rights?)
Sell my publishing? What a laugh.
I don't know Bo, but I do know math.


I also always enjoyed this lyric, particularly given that Prince clearly didn't know much math.

.

It was only a few years later, when the song 1+1+1=3 was released, that I grasped that he just meant he knew basic math.

.

This is a good example of how you need to know the whole catalog to really understand all the subtlties of his lyrics.

No Candy 4 Me
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Definitive Prince Post Warner Bros. BEST OF Album... (14 Tracks Max)