independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 16th Feb 2019 1:16am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince, "Piano & A Microphone 1983", 21 Sep 2018 on Warner Bros. -- post updated on Fri 12 Oct
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 19 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 08/21/18 2:48pm

RODSERLING

BartVanHemelen said:

UK music monthly Mojo, no. 299, October 2018:


.



4/5


.


Acoustic solo session hinting at alternate futures for the protean purple pontiff.


.


“Is that my echo?” asks the voice of Prince Rogers Nelson at the beginning of the first full release from the notorious Vault. He’s just checking on his monitoring with engineer Don Batts. Except that now it’s an echo from beyond the grave, and an echo of a past when Purple Rain and mega-success had yet to happen. The seeds of both are here, though, in this intimate, for-his-ears-only performance, as Prince segues between works-in-progress (Purple Rain as aching piano sketch) and grandstanding workouts (Mary Don’t You Weep is a full-on gospel exorcism). His piano-playing is a joy, his vocals a dramatis personae of lively characters: feminine and Broadway on Wednesday; comically gruff on Cold Coffee & Cocaine; like Kate Bush versus Randy Newman on Why The Butterflies. The whole thing feels – thrillingly, poignantly – like you’re in the room with him.


.


Danny Eccleston



.

[Edited 8/21/18 3:51am]



As I predicted, Piano 1983 gets great reviews from musical press, when PR deluxe wasn t even spoken of last year.
.
That s why it s à better choice for WB than 1999 deluxe.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 08/21/18 3:24pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

RODSERLING said:

when PR deluxe wasn t even spoken of last year. . That s why it s à better choice for WB than 1999 deluxe.

.

Dude, don't fucking lie. PR Deluxe got plenty of reviews. Plenty of "major" ones as well, i.e. a full page. Both reviews I've posted here so far are regular ones, drowning in a sea of hundreds of other reviews.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 08/21/18 3:32pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

No review in the September 2018 issue of UK music monthly Classic Rock...

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 08/21/18 5:47pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

I have nearly zero interest in this. I can not believe this was even considered to be put out this soon.

I much rather have 10 songs I already have released...

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 08/22/18 11:00am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

Video for "Mary Don’t You Weep", directed by Spike Lee using footage from his latest movie BlacKkKlansman (which features the song at the end).

.

[Edited 8/22/18 11:00am]

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 08/23/18 2:13pm

skipthecharade
s

It looks like 17 Days will be released soon (tomorrow?), because on iTunes it now has it's length shown (6:22) and the other tracks don't. Normally that is only when a track will be available.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 08/23/18 5:45pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

skipthecharades said:

It looks like 17 Days will be released soon (tomorrow?), because on iTunes it now has it's length shown (6:22) and the other tracks don't. Normally that is only when a track will be available.

then change the country to someplace like the UK or Japan where it is the 24th

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 08/23/18 7:27pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

SquirrelMeat said:

When stickies auto lock, it tells you alot about the mish mash state of the stickies.

.

It also speaks volumes that a topic about an upcoming official release doesn't get enough posts to stay unlocked...

Very true. Why talk about Prince new music when there are so more exciting new threads like 'If Emancipation was one disc'? lol

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 08/23/18 11:17pm

jstar69

OnlyNDaUsa said:



skipthecharades said:


It looks like 17 Days will be released soon (tomorrow?), because on iTunes it now has it's length shown (6:22) and the other tracks don't. Normally that is only when a track will be available.






then change the country to someplace like the UK or Japan where it is the 24th



Yeah seeing that time now on Oz iTunes- Was wondering if we'd see another track released prior to the album.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 08/24/18 8:07am

Astasheiks

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

Video for "Mary Don’t You Weep", directed by Spike Lee using footage from his latest movie BlacKkKlansman (which features the song at the end).

.

[Edited 8/22/18 11:00am]

hhhmmm, P got some emotion in there on MDYW! cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 08/24/18 12:28pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

Something between an annoucement and a review from the Daily Mail:

.

PRINCE: Piano & A Microphone 1983

Like Springsteen’s Nebraska, Prince’s Piano & A Microphone 1983 was made on a cassette recorder in a home studio. Rescued from the Paisley Park vaults, it’s an intimate, improvised reminder of his genius.

With a raw version of Purple Rain and an early take on his cover of Joni Mitchell’s A Case Of You, its nine tracks offer a taste of Prince’s creative process.

He shows the full scope of his vocal trickery on the bluesy spiritual Mary Don’t You Weep.

Out September 21 on Warner Music.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 08/28/18 3:21am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

The September 2018 (no. 709) issue of French monthly Jazz Magazine has an interview with Lisa Coleman about the album; she is credited with having written the liner notes for the album (I think this is news, right? I can't recall reading this before). They also talked to Michael Howe.

.

Jazz Magazine s’attarde également sur la sortie le 21 septembre de “Piano & A Microphone 1983” de Prince via un entretien exclusif avec Lisa Coleman, membre de The Revolution et auteure des textes du livret de ce document inédit aux oreilles du grand public. Michael Howe, archiviste du Prince Estate et découvreur de la cassette enregistrée dans le home-studio de Prince évoque de son côté le contenu et les perspectives d’exploitation du légendaire Vault.

.

The newest issue doesn't yet feature on their website: http://www.jazzmagazine.c...zine-n709/ is currently a 404.

.

(Funk-U's text seems to have been copied from http://www.muziq.fr/james...-magazine/ .)

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 08/28/18 5:27am

coldasice

alandail said:

"nothing quite like Piano & A Microphone 1983 exists in his catalogue"



what about One Night Alone: Solo Piano and Voice"


That’s a bad comparison. Did you miss the part about him not planning on anybody ever hearing this. ONA Live he got to pick his favorite performances.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 08/28/18 11:06am

paulludvig

Hopefully Lisa didn't have Wendy hanging over her shoulder when she wrote the liner notes.
The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 08/28/18 3:42pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

No review in the October 2018 issue of UK music monthly Q Magazine (which does have a two-page article on the NPG, as part of a larger article about bands missing their frontperson and how they've coped with that).

.

In fact there aren't that many album reviews in the magazine, whereas in the past Q would boast about the hundred or so albums that were reviewed in that month's issue. The cover boasts about its "25 pages of reviews", but eight of those are taken up by live reviews for Drake and George Ezra concerts. Several albums (McCartney, Weller, Christine And The Queens, Spiritualized,...) get a full page for their album reviews, which leaves not that much room for other releases.

.

Perhaps the next issue? That will be released on 25 September.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 08/28/18 6:04pm

jdcxc

I understand the internal fanbase criticism but I am looking forward to this release. I wish I was better at the bootleg market. And what fan would NOT buy it?

Bart- Thanks for posting the interesting reviews. Sticky!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 08/29/18 10:27am

EmmaMcG

avatar

jdcxc said:

I understand the internal fanbase criticism but I am looking forward to this release. I wish I was better at the bootleg market. And what fan would NOT buy it?

Bart- Thanks for posting the interesting reviews. Sticky!


Me. I won't buy it. I might download it. But I'm not spending money on a barebones rehearsal. If they want to make money off his legacy, they're going to need to come up with something better than that.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 08/29/18 10:46am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

If I understand this tweet from Warner Music Colombia correctly, then Spotify will have this new album a week before it hits stores:

.

El próximo 14 de septiembre estará disponible ‘’PRINCE: PIANO & A MICROPHONE 1983’’ una edición que no te puedes perder, haz tu pre save en y escucha ‘’Mary, Don’t you weep’’, aquí:

.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 08/29/18 10:57am

EmmaMcG

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

If I understand this tweet from Warner Music Colombia correctly, then Spotify will have this new album a week before it hits stores:


.



El próximo 14 de septiembre estará disponible ‘’PRINCE: PIANO & A MICROPHONE 1983’’ una edición que no te puedes perder, haz tu pre save en y escucha ‘’Mary, Don’t you weep’’, aquí:



.



Nice one for the heads up, Bart. I'll listen to it on Spotify for free. Purchase not necessary.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 08/29/18 11:21am

Francis77

I'm excited for it and can't wait to get it!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 08/29/18 12:06pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

It seems the October issue of the German version of Rolling Stone magazine will have a free 7" vinyl single of the P&AM1983 version of "17 Days": https://www.instagram.com...Ep0BPDsTy/

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 08/29/18 12:08pm

Germanegro

EmmaMcG said:

BartVanHemelen said:

If I understand this tweet from Warner Music Colombia correctly, then Spotify will have this new album a week before it hits stores:

.

.

Nice one for the heads up, Bart. I'll listen to it on Spotify for free. Purchase not necessary.

+1 to buy! I already have the bootleg. My purchase to offset Emma...AZIFUCARE.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 08/29/18 3:39pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

It seems the October issue of the German version of Rolling Stone magazine will have a free 7" vinyl single of the P&AM1983 version of "17 Days": https://www.instagram.com...Ep0BPDsTy/

.

Full page advert, as posted by Housequake:

.

ia5AJ6m.jpg

.

At this moment the URL at the bottom doesn't work. Well, it kinda does, as in it redirects to https://abo.rollingstone....ch-single/ , but that is a 404 at the moment.

.

[Edited 8/29/18 15:40pm]

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 08/29/18 3:39pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

Germanegro said:



EmmaMcG said:


BartVanHemelen said:

If I understand this tweet from Warner Music Colombia correctly, then Spotify will have this new album a week before it hits stores:


.


.



Nice one for the heads up, Bart. I'll listen to it on Spotify for free. Purchase not necessary.

+1 to buy! I already have the bootleg. My purchase to offset Emma...AZIFUCARE.



LOL. I don't even have the bootleg. A live rehearsal doesn't excite me enough to warrant looking for it. I'll listen to it on Spotify though. If it's OK - good, I'll download a torrent or something. If it's really good - excellent, I'll buy it. But I don't have high hopes. The single did nothing for me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 08/29/18 3:56pm

Germanegro

EmmaMcG said:

Germanegro said:

+1 to buy! I already have the bootleg. My purchase to offset Emma...AZIFUCARE.

LOL. I don't even have the bootleg. A live rehearsal doesn't excite me enough to warrant looking for it. I'll listen to it on Spotify though. If it's OK - good, I'll download a torrent or something. If it's really good - excellent, I'll buy it. But I don't have high hopes. The single did nothing for me.

...she says for, like, the 6th time in the thread lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 08/29/18 3:58pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

Germanegro said:



EmmaMcG said:


Germanegro said:


+1 to buy! I already have the bootleg. My purchase to offset Emma...AZIFUCARE.



LOL. I don't even have the bootleg. A live rehearsal doesn't excite me enough to warrant looking for it. I'll listen to it on Spotify though. If it's OK - good, I'll download a torrent or something. If it's really good - excellent, I'll buy it. But I don't have high hopes. The single did nothing for me.

...she says for, like, the 6th time in the thread lol



I just don't think I'm getting my point across. Lol. Maybe a 7th time will do it. biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 08/30/18 2:44am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

Germanegro said:

...she says for, like, the 6th time in the thread lol

I just don't think I'm getting my point across. Lol. Maybe a 7th time will do it. biggrin

I think you've made your point well enough! lol

I'm not excited for this but I'll be buying it. It's not what I want or would have asked for but I do want to support official releases. If none of us buy it and no money comes in from official releases, how long do you think they will continue?

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 08/30/18 2:48am

EmmaMcG

avatar

TheEnglishGent said:



EmmaMcG said:


Germanegro said:


...she says for, like, the 6th time in the thread lol



I just don't think I'm getting my point across. Lol. Maybe a 7th time will do it. biggrin

I think you've made your point well enough! lol

I'm not excited for this but I'll be buying it. It's not what I want or would have asked for but I do want to support official releases. If none of us buy it and no money comes in from official releases, how long do you think they will continue?



That's one way of looking at it. If not even Prince fans buy this release then the estate could withhold future releases. On the other hand, they may also see that they can't just put out random rehearsals and expect people to buy it. Hopefully it will encourage them to release the stuff fans have been asking for.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 08/30/18 5:33am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

Rolling Stone Germany put up a page to order the previously announced exclusive 7" single featuring the "Piano Version" of "17 Days": https://www.rollingstone....e-1551308/

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 08/30/18 8:22am

timmie

jaawwnn said:

EmmaMcG said:
I still don't really understand why this, of all things, is the first posthumous release. I get that there are/were issues over who owns what but surely there was a better choice than this. I'll probably download it at some point but it's not something I'm going to go out and buy.
They wanted to honour where he was (piano and microphone) while also selling what people generally like (his 80's work). You may disagree with their logic but it seems to be where they're coming from.

A Guess:

.

this release is the last contract filler for WB (fine, I'll take it)

..

Tidal's release next year - the same - I half expect that to be 'Prince, Piano & A Microphone 2016'

.

maybe after all that label/contractual/mess is gone - focus will be put on what's in the vault and what's with Sony (one can hope, yes ?)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 19 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince, "Piano & A Microphone 1983", 21 Sep 2018 on Warner Bros. -- post updated on Fri 12 Oct