independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 20th Aug 2018 8:23am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Short like me...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/08/18 7:43pm

Seahorsie

Short like me...

I know, when people have made the pilgrimage to PP they try to outdo each other on their documentation of it all. Every second described to the "inth" degree on what they saw, and what it all felt like. I am more of a (pun) short-story person.

This is one of the moments I wanted to share. They have his beautiful teal-color suit that he wore during the Superbowl performance in the rain. I like to really study an object like that, so see if I can pull from it more than the obvious or innane. It was in a big case behind glass (like so many of his things are there) and after about 5 minutes I started to laugh to myself.

There, at the bottom of those belled trousers are one heck of a pants hem. Now since I am short & have to buy my clothes "off the rack", I have had to hem about every pair of pants I have ever worn. They finally started making petite/short pants later on, but that is besides the point. Didn't he have fabulous people hand-making his clothes for him? Knowing his exact size, why the big honker of a pantleg hem? A huge hem makes them heavier on the bottom and they don't really hang right or look that good. You can't get it done right sometimes even when you are rich & famous, I guess.

Made me feel closer to him, in a way. That, and those size 5 1/2 boots with heels that I couldn't even get my feet in- and I got tiny feet!

tease

Good morning children...take a look out your window.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/08/18 8:10pm

PennyPurple

avatar

I wonder if the large hem, made the bell bottoms stronger to keep them in place more and not so flimsey?

I often wonder how much each outfit cost him. And the beautiful shoes.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/08/18 8:14pm

Camileyun

Seahorsie said:

I know, when people have made the pilgrimage to PP they try to outdo each other on their documentation of it all. Every second described to the "inth" degree on what they saw, and what it all felt like. I am more of a (pun) short-story person.



This is one of the moments I wanted to share. They have his beautiful teal-color suit that he wore during the Superbowl performance in the rain. I like to really study an object like that, so see if I can pull from it more than the obvious or innane. It was in a big case behind glass (like so many of his things are there) and after about 5 minutes I started to laugh to myself.



There, at the bottom of those belled trousers are one heck of a pants hem. Now since I am short & have to buy my clothes "off the rack", I have had to hem about every pair of pants I have ever worn. They finally started making petite/short pants later on, but that is besides the point. Didn't he have fabulous people hand-making his clothes for him? Knowing his exact size, why the big honker of a pantleg hem? A huge hem makes them heavier on the bottom and they don't really hang right or look that good. You can't get it done right sometimes even when you are rich & famous, I guess.



Made me feel closer to him, in a way. That, and those size 5 1/2 boots with heels that I couldn't even get my feet in- and I got tiny feet!



tease


They let people try on his shoes? Cinderella' s step sister.
lol
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/08/18 8:24pm

rogifan

I noticed his trousers were always the perfect length. I wonder though if his wedge shoes were the same height as his heels or if he wore slightly shorter trousers with his wedges?
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/08/18 8:52pm

Lovejunky

avatar

Seahorsie said:

I know, when people have made the pilgrimage to PP they try to outdo each other on their documentation of it all. Every second described to the "inth" degree on what they saw, and what it all felt like. I am more of a (pun) short-story person.

This is one of the moments I wanted to share. They have his beautiful teal-color suit that he wore during the Superbowl performance in the rain. I like to really study an object like that, so see if I can pull from it more than the obvious or innane. It was in a big case behind glass (like so many of his things are there) and after about 5 minutes I started to laugh to myself.

There, at the bottom of those belled trousers are one heck of a pants hem. Now since I am short & have to buy my clothes "off the rack", I have had to hem about every pair of pants I have ever worn. They finally started making petite/short pants later on, but that is besides the point. Didn't he have fabulous people hand-making his clothes for him? Knowing his exact size, why the big honker of a pantleg hem? A huge hem makes them heavier on the bottom and they don't really hang right or look that good. You can't get it done right sometimes even when you are rich & famous, I guess.

Made me feel closer to him, in a way. That, and those size 5 1/2 boots with heels that I couldn't even get my feet in- and I got tiny feet!

tease

I found a picture of that Hem Seahorsie..

Yes..its mighty long...

but having worked with Tailors a lot I can tell you its not unuual for suit pants to have long hems.

It afectively adds weight to the bottom of the pants and helps them drape better...

Being such an energetic performer he would have needed that extra to help keep them down.

Imagine how pissed he would have been if they got stuck on the top of his boots..

I recall Stacia Lang saying that he would always check to see that this didnt happen

and in some of his more fluid Lycra outfits she would have to add invisible sturrups to the inside..

so................depending on the Fabric ....keeping the bottoms DOWN was apparently an issue..

0421-prince-superbowl07-1.jpg

..also long hemmed

GettyImages-154424665.jpg

and this one too..

336FA30400000578-3553491-image-m-106_1461326208413.jpg

[Edited 8/8/18 20:54pm]

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/09/18 4:27am

PennyPurple

avatar

He was always so impeccably dressed, even in the pouring rain.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/09/18 7:29am

Seahorsie

I guess that's why, but I hated the fact that by looking at pants or jeans I wore it was so obvious that they had been hemmed. Just personal preference.
Good morning children...take a look out your window.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/09/18 9:30am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Interesting... That reminds me of a story told by a girl I met working in a coat check room at a club in San Francisco. I told her how I saw Prince's last performance there and she one upped me by saying not only was she there but she met Prince! Apparently, she is a clothing designer and she was called in for a "fashion emergency" by staffers right before Prince was to go on stage. Prince wanted someone to add lace to his outfit and his regular person wasn't available so this lady was called in. She told him that what he wanted couldn't be done in that amount of time so she made an alternative suggestion. She said she expected a negative reaction from what she had heard about Prince but, instead, he thought about it for a moment and then told her she had a great idea and told her to go ahead and do it her way. She said he was very polite, soft spoken, and not at all intimidating. So, she put the lace on his outfit and sent him off to give a great performance in style. cool

Don't believe what you hear
Don't believe what you see...
I know that the tide is turning 'round
So don't let the bastards grind you down!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/09/18 11:09am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

PennyPurple said:

He was always so impeccably dressed, even in the pouring rain.

.

Oh please, dude wore t-shirts with butt-ugly amateurish artwork plenty of times.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/09/18 5:34pm

PennyPurple

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

PennyPurple said:

He was always so impeccably dressed, even in the pouring rain.

.

Oh please, dude wore t-shirts with butt-ugly amateurish artwork plenty of times.

I pity you Bart.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Short like me...