independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 20th Sep 2018 2:34am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > i really think Graffiti Bridge kicks lovesexy´s ass
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 07/10/18 6:13pm

violetcrush

violetcrush said:

mbdtyler said:

Since we have a thread about Graffiti Bridge open, I was wondering if anyone has sequenced a playlist of tracks from GB, Batman, and the unreleased Rave Unto The Joy Fantastic album that works well as a standalone album? Last night, I came up with this:

  1. Can't Stop This Feeling I Got ['86 version]
  2. We Can Funk ['86 version]
  3. Thieves In The Temple
  4. The Ball (mainly for the purpose of segueing into...)
  5. Joy In Repetition
  6. Crucial (not sure if this fits but why not?)
  7. Electric Chair
  8. Girl O My Dreams ['86 version]
  9. Data Bank ['86 version]
  10. Pink Cashmere
  11. The Grand Progression
  12. Graffiti Bridge (to end on something slightly more uplifting than the previous track)

I haven't listened to it yet, but I think it's a damn solid set of songs. Anyone got suggestions to make it better?

Yes! Finally someone mentioned the '86 version of We Can Funk!! Blows the GB version away. All of the '86 versions blow the GB versions away. He should not have "bubble-gummed" them up.

Oh wait - I meant the '83 version - We Can Fuck....THAT'S the topper...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 07/10/18 6:39pm

mbdtyler

violetcrush said:

violetcrush said:

Yes! Finally someone mentioned the '86 version of We Can Funk!! Blows the GB version away. All of the '86 versions blow the GB versions away. He should not have "bubble-gummed" them up.

Oh wait - I meant the '83 version - We Can Fuck....THAT'S the topper...

I honestly haven't listened to the '83 version much, I just put the '86 version on here since it went along with GOMD/CSTFIG/Data Bank. Both are cool though smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 07/10/18 7:15pm

rdhull

avatar

misiu said:

BillieBalloon said:
Laughable. It was GM who was influenced by Prince on Faith. GM was a huge Prince fan.
Show me one song, where prince influenced gm vocally! There arent any tracks, so laughable it aint wink Gm is one of the best vocalists ever, with much stronger voice than our little king, i mean prince. Fact.

Hard Day..him doing Camille..come on. I Want Your Sex is the zygote of Prince.

And everytime I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it.. WELL CAN YA FEEL IT?!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 07/10/18 7:52pm

gandorb

A couple of more comments about the two albums.

I really have enjoyed the versions of eye Know, Positivity, and Glam Slam on the BFTP6 release. I have them in on a playlist, and when they come on they just stand out as such artistic songs.

I really like the GB version of We Can Funk. It was the first version I ever heard, and loved it. I enjoy George Clinton on it. The only think that doesn't totally work about the duet is that it seems clear they are not really singing the song to each other, so it takes some of the heat out of the song. It is best sung when you really mean it with your duet partner!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 07/11/18 2:37am

daingermouz202
0

I don't care for the songs by other artist on GB but Question of U. Theives in the Temple, Elephants and Flowers and Joy in Repetition are far Superior tracks than anything on LS. I like the songs Glam Slam, LoveSexy, Alphabet Street minus the Cat rap but I gotta go with GB.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 07/11/18 9:32am

violetcrush

gandorb said:

A couple of more comments about the two albums.

I really have enjoyed the versions of eye Know, Positivity, and Glam Slam on the BFTP6 release. I have them in on a playlist, and when they come on they just stand out as such artistic songs.

I really like the GB version of We Can Funk. It was the first version I ever heard, and loved it. I enjoy George Clinton on it. The only think that doesn't totally work about the duet is that it seems clear they are not really singing the song to each other, so it takes some of the heat out of the song. It is best sung when you really mean it with your duet partner!!!

The '83 We Can Fuck was the solo, sexy, erotic, dirty, and desperate for sex Prince. The GB version was the spiritual "let's all have a funky party" Prince, with lots of lyrical and instrumental additions and extra voices - the "bubblegum version". It's not even really the same song.

*

Just a matter of opinion, I guess, but I always tend to prefer the "rude boy" versions of his songs. Same with Extralovable - the '82/'83 version is SO much better than the released version.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 07/11/18 4:15pm

gandorb

violetcrush said:

gandorb said:

A couple of more comments about the two albums.

I really have enjoyed the versions of eye Know, Positivity, and Glam Slam on the BFTP6 release. I have them in on a playlist, and when they come on they just stand out as such artistic songs.

I really like the GB version of We Can Funk. It was the first version I ever heard, and loved it. I enjoy George Clinton on it. The only think that doesn't totally work about the duet is that it seems clear they are not really singing the song to each other, so it takes some of the heat out of the song. It is best sung when you really mean it with your duet partner!!!

The '83 We Can Fuck was the solo, sexy, erotic, dirty, and desperate for sex Prince. The GB version was the spiritual "let's all have a funky party" Prince, with lots of lyrical and instrumental additions and extra voices - the "bubblegum version". It's not even really the same song.

*

Just a matter of opinion, I guess, but I always tend to prefer the "rude boy" versions of his songs. Same with Extralovable - the '82/'83 version is SO much better than the released version.

I like the other versions too. All have there own unique attributes. However, when you hear the studio version first, it didn't at all remind me of bubblegum. It seemed like a really good song IMO. I think the vocals are fantastic. It just was more about funking than fucking. There is plenty of reason to celebrate both things cool , and glad Prince has recorded both types of songs.

I do prefer the early version of Extraloveable though the horn arrangements on the album version fits well on HnR2,

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 07/11/18 10:30pm

thedance

avatar

PeteSilas said:

thedance said:

Lovesexy is a Prince pop-funk masterpeice, cloud9 woot!

this thread is all rubbish, imho...




so american, to dislike Lovesexy... tsk... eek

it sold sub 500,000 at the time of release. It was a good album, it still had some vintage minneapolis synth stuff which were kinda absent from the last two albums. However, I think a lot of the arrangements were pointless, i actually loved them at the time as young aspiring musician, but with time, i learned that the business of songs doesn't make them better, in fact they can make them worse. In this case the songs weren't as good as the ones on his previous albums. I also think he was having issues with hip hop on his ass and he had to worry about that because they were about to change the business, suddenly, Prince, who half shunned the purple rain sales was needing some of that.

when has sales figures been important, ???


sales are not that important, this is a music- masterpiece: Lovesexy. 1 of the greatest Prince albums, ever.. music

In case you insist on "sales are important", Lovesexy reached number 1 (!!!) in the uK, also sold well in Germany and in Europe as well, and to be honest Lovesexy was actually outselling the previous Prince albums in the EU (afaik) - even Purple Rain was modest popular in Denmark (my country) believe it or not. Lovesexy had the largest crowd by far (28,000 saw the Lovesexy concert in Idrætsparken in Copenhagen). Lovesexy was popular by the europeans, even the nude cover art was viewed as artistic and stylish, not sexual like I believe the americans (some) did, some recordshops denying having the Lovesexy in stock - in the US?


it a long story to be repeated again anf again, too bad the american did not embrace this masterpiece, it tells more about "them" the US citizens than it tells about this excellent pop-funk album...


To me Lovesexy is not music wink


Its a trip, an almost "religious trip", in those years (1982-1988) Prince to me could do no wrong, Prince was the God of Music, I adored, and Lovesexy was an excellent and brave move.


To me the Lovesexy album and tour was another highpoint in Prince's career. The screaming guitars all over this album, the (maybe too much, for some?) complexity in the excellent sound production, wow, shame on those who can't hear the "angels sing" listening to Lovesexy.


Those fans are missing out imho...


Lovesexy is the Prince album I have listened to the most over the years (not his best album, still Lovesexy is in my Prince-albums top 5).


heart woot! music


Lovesexy is the 1, 'till my day is done... cool cool cool


.

[Edited 7/11/18 22:34pm]

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 07/12/18 3:32am

RicoN

avatar

Silvertongue7 said:

I sort of disagree with everything you wrote... I love both albums though, although the original GB has been long replaced by my GB playlist with Prince’s vocals on Melody Cool and Love Machine, and with no guest artists’ tracks.

Didn't realise there was a prince vocal version of Melody Cool knocking about.

Yes, I've probably made a spelling mistake, but I can't be arsed to go back and correc tit.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 07/12/18 3:35am

paulludvig

violetcrush said:



bonatoc said:




PeteSilas said:



i liked it, what i was lukewarm about were the time song, release it, round and round, melody cool, didn't like any of those. Still would stand all time and graffiti bridge weren't as bad as those songs. and oh yea, i was never a thieves in the temple fan, in fact, i loved the demo version more.




Oh yeah, the female "Delta Blues" demo.
Pity there ain't more material like this.

Well, Graffiti Bridge never sounded or looked like this,
so in my book, it's a fine collection of songs,
but it's a patchwork. Lovesexy was Prince reaching for God.
On stage. The album is tied to the tour, the B-sides and the celebration of the first decade.

with the harsher mix and the low tom syncopated intro,
like the start of "Noon Rendez-Vous" (album version) is way better, putting the "Alphabet


The noisy bootleg of Joy In Repetition,

St." intro was plain ludicrous,
we know by now the original 1983 take on "We Can Fuck" is the definitive one,
"Can't Stop This Feeling I Got" has been transformed from a joyous, primal riot of a song
into a preaching demo for Lexicon delays and Eventide compressors, losing all of its juice.
Even "Tick Tick Bang" is way better with a frantic Linn exsuding true funk hysteria.

I'd like to ear the GB demo sessions in better quality than what is circulating.
"Can't stop" solo is better in its rawer version.
But The Revolution version tops them all.
And the transition to "New Power Generation" is so pompous,
whereas the blending into "We Can Funk" '86 is just spot on.

It's the only album that truly show his age, with Diamonds and Pearls.
They have beautiful songs in them, but they're not albums.
They are collection of songs, meant to bring the cash in.



[Edited 7/10/18 16:27pm]


[Edited 7/10/18 16:29pm]




Pete or Bonatoc: I LOVE the Thieves Demo version - it's so much better. It was posted on YT Summer of 2016 and removed before I could DL. Would love to get that one....



I love the notes he chooses around 1:24 and again around 3:51
The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 07/12/18 3:37am

paulludvig

The demo version of Still would stand all time with Prince on background vocals is pretty great.
The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 07/12/18 3:38am

RicoN

avatar

jaawwnn said:

rdhull said:

I will say that upon release, GB was good and only in time has it been relegated to being a bad album. I know when I first heard it, I liked it a lot. Thing is, We Can Funk was mindblowing to me then. Never heard the other versions at that time and to be fair, the released GB version is still good. I remember listening on headphones hearing the coda screaming and being real pleased etc. The beginning dramatic opening to a movie strings of the title track made me gooey inside as did Mavis' openng speaking lines intro to her song. New Power Generation had me hyped. Overall, GB has received a bad wrap over the past decades. Im not going to get into it being worse or better than Lovesexy because hell, I disliked Lovesexy when it came out and now love it.

.

[Edited 7/7/18 13:00pm]

Interesting. I wasn't around at the time (well I was but I was about 7) but when I got into Prince I listened to his stuff chronologically, kind of as a project. Took about a year to get through the basic album discography cos I went slowly. I noticed a MASSIVE drop in quality on Graffiti Bridge. Over the years it's grown on me but at first I was like "oh he really did lose it immediately in 1990".

I can still remember vivdly the crushing disapointment of listening to GB for the first time. And when I heard the actual GB song for the first time I turned to my mate and said: 'this sounds like a toothpaste commercial'.

Yes, I've probably made a spelling mistake, but I can't be arsed to go back and correc tit.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 07/12/18 7:35am

violetcrush

RicoN said:

jaawwnn said:

rdhull said: Interesting. I wasn't around at the time (well I was but I was about 7) but when I got into Prince I listened to his stuff chronologically, kind of as a project. Took about a year to get through the basic album discography cos I went slowly. I noticed a MASSIVE drop in quality on Graffiti Bridge. Over the years it's grown on me but at first I was like "oh he really did lose it immediately in 1990".

I can still remember vivdly the crushing disapointment of listening to GB for the first time. And when I heard the actual GB song for the first time I turned to my mate and said: 'this sounds like a toothpaste commercial'.

Yes - toothpaste or bubblegum confused No sign of the "rude boy" erotic Prince or the harder edge music anywhere on that album.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 07/12/18 7:43am

violetcrush

paulludvig said:

The demo version of Still would stand all time with Prince on background vocals is pretty great.

My favorite of SWSAT is the partial/ad-lib version at Paard von Troje 1988 aftershow. "Who's the fool singing will - it's would!!" Love that. But the live versions of his songs are always better...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 07/13/18 5:41am

KAB

avatar

violetcrush said:

RicoN said:

I can still remember vivdly the crushing disapointment of listening to GB for the first time. And when I heard the actual GB song for the first time I turned to my mate and said: 'this sounds like a toothpaste commercial'.

Yes - toothpaste or bubblegum confused No sign of the "rude boy" erotic Prince or the harder edge music anywhere on that album.

Maybe not, but many an uplifting song on there. Lovesexy non-rudeboy too of course.

Fact is rudeboy Prince not seen in the 80s since Controversy.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 07/13/18 12:19pm

violetcrush

KAB said:

violetcrush said:

Yes - toothpaste or bubblegum confused No sign of the "rude boy" erotic Prince or the harder edge music anywhere on that album.

Maybe not, but many an uplifting song on there. Lovesexy non-rudeboy too of course.

Fact is rudeboy Prince not seen in the 80s since Controversy.

Nah, he had many other "rude boy" type songs prior to LoveSexy/GB - Darling Nikki, Let's Pretend We're Married, We Can Fuck, Temptation, Tambourine, etc. Yes, he did move to the spritual side for LoveSexy, but when he toured he also played many of the "rude boy" songs during the shows. I know it was to tell his story of "going from the dark side to the light (God)", but he still played the music. The point with GB was that much of it is very watered down music compared to the prior records, and "We Can Fuck" is so much better than the GB version "We Can Funk".

*

He did return to the hard and erotic songs in the early/mid 90's though - along with the ballad type songs.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 07/14/18 1:44am

KAB

avatar

violetcrush said:

KAB said:

Maybe not, but many an uplifting song on there. Lovesexy non-rudeboy too of course.

Fact is rudeboy Prince not seen in the 80s since Controversy.

Nah, he had many other "rude boy" type songs prior to LoveSexy/GB - Darling Nikki, Let's Pretend We're Married, We Can Fuck, Temptation, Tambourine, etc. Yes, he did move to the spritual side for LoveSexy, but when he toured he also played many of the "rude boy" songs during the shows. I know it was to tell his story of "going from the dark side to the light (God)", but he still played the music. The point with GB was that much of it is very watered down music compared to the prior records, and "We Can Fuck" is so much better than the GB version "We Can Funk".

*

He did return to the hard and erotic songs in the early/mid 90's though - along with the ballad type songs.

I thought the 'rude boy' era is defined as Dirty Mind and Controversy.

Sure he had x-rated lyrics subsequent and yeah mainly in the 90s.

GB songs fit in with the story of the movie thou and still contain some classic top-notch material. Every albums has its weaker songs perhaps only except Purple Rain or Dirty Mind.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 07/14/18 12:27pm

violetcrush

KAB said:

violetcrush said:

Nah, he had many other "rude boy" type songs prior to LoveSexy/GB - Darling Nikki, Let's Pretend We're Married, We Can Fuck, Temptation, Tambourine, etc. Yes, he did move to the spritual side for LoveSexy, but when he toured he also played many of the "rude boy" songs during the shows. I know it was to tell his story of "going from the dark side to the light (God)", but he still played the music. The point with GB was that much of it is very watered down music compared to the prior records, and "We Can Fuck" is so much better than the GB version "We Can Funk".

*

He did return to the hard and erotic songs in the early/mid 90's though - along with the ballad type songs.

I thought the 'rude boy' era is defined as Dirty Mind and Controversy.

Sure he had x-rated lyrics subsequent and yeah mainly in the 90s.

GB songs fit in with the story of the movie thou and still contain some classic top-notch material. Every albums has its weaker songs perhaps only except Purple Rain or Dirty Mind.

Yes, technically the "rude boy" period was Dirty Mind/Controversy, but I just meant his subsequent music that contained those harder/sexier elements. I guess I just prefer the romantically tortured/sexual songs smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 07/14/18 12:43pm

SoulAlive

RicoN said:

when I heard the actual GB song for the first time I turned to my mate and said: 'this sounds like a toothpaste commercial'.

biggrin I like the message of the song,but it just sounds so cheesy

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 07/14/18 3:03pm

42Kristen

wall

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 07/15/18 7:44am

violetcrush

42Kristen said:

wall

Head against the brick for which argument - cheesy/bubblegum or good song??

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 07/15/18 2:47pm

Yewdale

avatar

misiu said:

Almost every week i am reading here how great lovesexy is. I dont know what people are hearing. Out of the 9 tracks, just 3 are great. the rest is just ok. There are no real molodies at all. And it was his lowest selling album.

Graffiti Bridge on the other hand, shines with great melodies, funky-poppy tunes, hard funk and really great vocals (prince tracks).

Lets compare:

i know - new power generation: NPG wins this one for me with its poppy-Funky sound. And prince vocals are great on this one. Dont like that jazzy tone of i no.

alphabet St. - thieves in the temple: The hitsingles. Well both are cool, but i go with Thiesves. Very nice vocals. Alphabet st. is cool but too much sesam st.

Glam Slam - i cant stop: The pop-rocker . Well both not that great, i prefer i cant stop. GS ist just meh.

Anna Stesia - question of u: Very hard one. The vocals on Question are just beautiful and the melody is great (under the cherry moon wink, but after the guitar solo that just repeats the sung melody, it goes nowhere..this time i go with Anna

Dance on - tick tick bang: weakest tracks on both albums. Dance on has nothing that make me want to hear it again, no melody, no singing at all. I think i go with tick tick bang

Lovesexy - We can funk: well i really like the beat and the vocals on LS, but we can funk funks simply harder. Great tune.

i wish u heaven - elephants and flowers: well nice little tunes. But i think i go with the Elephants. Love his vocals on that one. He really tried to copy George Michael on that one (Faith anyone).

when 2 are in love - Still would stand all time: Still would stand all time wins this one. The second part of this song marks one of his most beautiful vocals ever.

Positivity - Graffiti Bridge/NPG PT 2: GB ist a great pop song, i really like, cant understand the hate. And NPG pt 2rocks too, so i go with GB/npG pt. 2

oh i forgot Joy in repetition - well that one kicks every track on LS. So GB wins this one.

And the GB - look was just great.

Whats your opinion?




What have the sales figures for Lovesexy got to do with whether or not it was a great album? I never realised Britney Spears 'Baby One More Time' album was 14 times greater than 'Sign O The Times'.... yup measuring the greatness of music by sales figures really is THAT flawed a science. Do you rank the greatness of all of Prince's albums by their sales figures? I certainly prefer Dirty Mind over Diamonds & Pearls.... but each to their own I guess.

Also, you are comparing the two albums on a track by track basis. Why? What does that achieve? Do you never listen to an album from beginning to end and hear it as a piece of work in its own right? So, if I prefer Take Me With U and The Beautiful Ones to Play in the Sunshine and Housequake.... does that mean Purple Rain kicks SOTT's ass because I like tracks 2 and 3 on one album more than the other, and so on?

Rating Lovesexy as an album based on how many great, good or bad songs it has on (in your opinion) kind of misses the point of what it set out to achieve. It was designed to be listened to as a whole. For my money Lovesexy is one of music's best ever examples of an album's ability to be far greater than the sum of its parts. So who cares which song is funkier between Lovesexy and We Can Funk? Seriously, where does that take us in determining the better album?

My opinion.... I too prefer Thieves in the Temple to Alphabet St. but I thought Lovesexy as an album was far better, because I can listen to it from beginning to end without skipping and it transports me back to a place and time. GB is an album I never, ever listen to as a whole because I find it an uneven and ultimately unsatisfying/uninspired ride (despite me loving six or seven of its tracks individually). Lovesexy is pure ear candy to me... GB.... No thanks.

Sorry if I sound pissy on this post.... but your measures for reasoning and determining quality/greateness of an album left me baffled. My fondness for Lovesexy is not determined by a comparison to GB or any other album. If it's great, it's great. period. Apples & Oranges.





  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 07/15/18 2:54pm

MendesCity

avatar

I play GB songs way more often. I think it's actually improved with age. I didn't love the singles, and it colored the album for me. Lovesexy was the reverse.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 07/15/18 4:29pm

misiu

Yewdale said:[quote]



misiu said:


Almost every week i am reading here how great lovesexy is. I dont know what people are hearing. Out of the 9 tracks, just 3 are great. the rest is just ok. There are no real molodies at all. And it was his lowest selling album.



Graffiti Bridge on the other hand, shines with great melodies, funky-poppy tunes, hard funk and really great vocals (prince tracks).



Lets compare:



i know - new power generation: NPG wins this one for me with its poppy-Funky sound. And prince vocals are great on this one. Dont like that jazzy tone of i no.





alphabet St. - thieves in the temple: The hitsingles. Well both are cool, but i go with Thiesves. Very nice vocals. Alphabet st. is cool but too much sesam st.



Glam Slam - i cant stop: The pop-rocker . Well both not that great, i prefer i cant stop. GS ist just meh.



Anna Stesia - question of u: Very hard one. The vocals on Question are just beautiful and the melody is great (under the cherry moon wink, but after the guitar solo that just repeats the sung melody, it goes nowhere..this time i go with Anna



Dance on - tick tick bang: weakest tracks on both albums. Dance on has nothing that make me want to hear it again, no melody, no singing at all. I think i go with tick tick bang



Lovesexy - We can funk: well i really like the beat and the vocals on LS, but we can funk funks simply harder. Great tune.



i wish u heaven - elephants and flowers: well nice little tunes. But i think i go with the Elephants. Love his vocals on that one. He really tried to copy George Michael on that one (Faith anyone).



when 2 are in love - Still would stand all time: Still would stand all time wins this one. The second part of this song marks one of his most beautiful vocals ever.



Positivity - Graffiti Bridge/NPG PT 2: GB ist a great pop song, i really like, cant understand the hate. And NPG pt 2rocks too, so i go with GB/npG pt. 2



oh i forgot Joy in repetition - well that one kicks every track on LS. So GB wins this one.



And the GB - look was just great.



Whats your opinion?






What have the sales figures for Lovesexy got to do with whether or not it was a great album? I never realised Britney Spears 'Baby One More Time' album was 14 times greater than 'Sign O The Times'.... yup measuring the greatness of music by sales figures really is THAT flawed a science. Do you rank the greatness of all of Prince's albums by their sales figures? I certainly prefer Dirty Mind over Diamonds & Pearls.... but each to their own I guess.

Also, you are comparing the two albums on a track by track basis. Why? What does that achieve? Do you never listen to an album from beginning to end and hear it as a piece of work in its own right? So, if I prefer Take Me With U and The Beautiful Ones to Play in the Sunshine and Housequake.... does that mean Purple Rain kicks SOTT's ass because I like tracks 2 and 3 on one album more than the other, and so on?

Rating Lovesexy as an album based on how many great, good or bad songs it has on (in your opinion) kind of misses the point of what it set out to achieve. It was designed to be listened to as a whole. For my money Lovesexy is one of music's best ever examples of an album's ability to be far greater than the sum of its parts. So who cares which song is funkier between Lovesexy and We Can Funk? Seriously, where does that take us in determining the better album?

My opinion.... I too prefer Thieves in the Temple to Alphabet St. but I thought Lovesexy as an album was far better, because I can listen to it from beginning to end without skipping and it transports me back to a place and time. GB is an album I never, ever listen to as a whole because I find it an uneven and ultimately unsatisfying/uninspired ride (despite me loving six or seven of its tracks individually). Lovesexy is pure ear candy to me... GB.... No thanks.

Sorry if I sound pissy on this post.... but your measures for reasoning and determining quality/greateness of an album left me baffled. My fondness for Lovesexy is not determined by a comparison to GB or any other album. If it's great, it's great. period. Apples & Oranges.







Lovesexy is meh, never liked it that much...and the sales of it proved it. i was so happy when i got it as a tracked cd . So i wasnt forced anymore to listen to (avarage boring ) tracks like glam slam, dance on or positivity and when 2 are in love

Hey but when u love it that much. Im ok with it. I prefer gb (the prince songs)

And i prefer d&p over dirty mind! And dont give a fuck if its a classic in yuor book or not

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 07/17/18 5:06am

Yewdale

avatar

misiu said:

Yewdale said:

misiu said:

Almost every week i am reading here how great lovesexy is. I dont know what people are hearing. Out of the 9 tracks, just 3 are great. the rest is just ok. There are no real molodies at all. And it was his lowest selling album.

Graffiti Bridge on the other hand, shines with great melodies, funky-poppy tunes, hard funk and really great vocals (prince tracks).

Lets compare:

i know - new power generation: NPG wins this one for me with its poppy-Funky sound. And prince vocals are great on this one. Dont like that jazzy tone of i no.

alphabet St. - thieves in the temple: The hitsingles. Well both are cool, but i go with Thiesves. Very nice vocals. Alphabet st. is cool but too much sesam st.

Glam Slam - i cant stop: The pop-rocker . Well both not that great, i prefer i cant stop. GS ist just meh.

Anna Stesia - question of u: Very hard one. The vocals on Question are just beautiful and the melody is great (under the cherry moon wink, but after the guitar solo that just repeats the sung melody, it goes nowhere..this time i go with Anna

Dance on - tick tick bang: weakest tracks on both albums. Dance on has nothing that make me want to hear it again, no melody, no singing at all. I think i go with tick tick bang

Lovesexy - We can funk: well i really like the beat and the vocals on LS, but we can funk funks simply harder. Great tune.

i wish u heaven - elephants and flowers: well nice little tunes. But i think i go with the Elephants. Love his vocals on that one. He really tried to copy George Michael on that one (Faith anyone).

when 2 are in love - Still would stand all time: Still would stand all time wins this one. The second part of this song marks one of his most beautiful vocals ever.

Positivity - Graffiti Bridge/NPG PT 2: GB ist a great pop song, i really like, cant understand the hate. And NPG pt 2rocks too, so i go with GB/npG pt. 2

oh i forgot Joy in repetition - well that one kicks every track on LS. So GB wins this one.

And the GB - look was just great.

Whats your opinion?




What have the sales figures for Lovesexy got to do with whether or not it was a great album? I never realised Britney Spears 'Baby One More Time' album was 14 times greater than 'Sign O The Times'.... yup measuring the greatness of music by sales figures really is THAT flawed a science. Do you rank the greatness of all of Prince's albums by their sales figures? I certainly prefer Dirty Mind over Diamonds & Pearls.... but each to their own I guess.

Also, you are comparing the two albums on a track by track basis. Why? What does that achieve? Do you never listen to an album from beginning to end and hear it as a piece of work in its own right? So, if I prefer Take Me With U and The Beautiful Ones to Play in the Sunshine and Housequake.... does that mean Purple Rain kicks SOTT's ass because I like tracks 2 and 3 on one album more than the other, and so on?

Rating Lovesexy as an album based on how many great, good or bad songs it has on (in your opinion) kind of misses the point of what it set out to achieve. It was designed to be listened to as a whole. For my money Lovesexy is one of music's best ever examples of an album's ability to be far greater than the sum of its parts. So who cares which song is funkier between Lovesexy and We Can Funk? Seriously, where does that take us in determining the better album?

My opinion.... I too prefer Thieves in the Temple to Alphabet St. but I thought Lovesexy as an album was far better, because I can listen to it from beginning to end without skipping and it transports me back to a place and time. GB is an album I never, ever listen to as a whole because I find it an uneven and ultimately unsatisfying/uninspired ride (despite me loving six or seven of its tracks individually). Lovesexy is pure ear candy to me... GB.... No thanks.

Sorry if I sound pissy on this post.... but your measures for reasoning and determining quality/greateness of an album left me baffled. My fondness for Lovesexy is not determined by a comparison to GB or any other album. If it's great, it's great. period. Apples & Oranges.





Lovesexy is meh, never liked it that much...and the sales of it proved it. i was so happy when i got it as a tracked cd . So i wasnt forced anymore to listen to (avarage boring ) tracks like glam slam, dance on or positivity and when 2 are in love Hey but when u love it that much. Im ok with it. I prefer gb (the prince songs) And i prefer d&p over dirty mind! And dont give a fuck if its a classic in yuor book or not


Lovesexy world sales - 2.89 Million (U.K Platinum, U.S Gold) Rating - Meh+

Graffiti Bridge world sales - 2.5 Million (U.K Gold, U.S Gold) Rating - Meh


Yup.... you were right all along, the sales prove it. nuts nod yes





  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 07/17/18 8:55am

james

avatar

GB is probably his worst album. Lovesexy one of his best. Seems simple to understand to me! lol

.

"Lay down your funky weapon"... nuff said! razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 07/17/18 11:56am

misiu

Yewdale said:



misiu said:


Yewdale said:



misiu said:


Almost every week i am reading here how great lovesexy is. I dont know what people are hearing. Out of the 9 tracks, just 3 are great. the rest is just ok. There are no real molodies at all. And it was his lowest selling album.



Graffiti Bridge on the other hand, shines with great melodies, funky-poppy tunes, hard funk and really great vocals (prince tracks).



Lets compare:



i know - new power generation: NPG wins this one for me with its poppy-Funky sound. And prince vocals are great on this one. Dont like that jazzy tone of i no.



alphabet St. - thieves in the temple: The hitsingles. Well both are cool, but i go with Thiesves. Very nice vocals. Alphabet st. is cool but too much sesam st.



Glam Slam - i cant stop: The pop-rocker . Well both not that great, i prefer i cant stop. GS ist just meh.



Anna Stesia - question of u: Very hard one. The vocals on Question are just beautiful and the melody is great (under the cherry moon wink, but after the guitar solo that just repeats the sung melody, it goes nowhere..this time i go with Anna



Dance on - tick tick bang: weakest tracks on both albums. Dance on has nothing that make me want to hear it again, no melody, no singing at all. I think i go with tick tick bang



Lovesexy - We can funk: well i really like the beat and the vocals on LS, but we can funk funks simply harder. Great tune.



i wish u heaven - elephants and flowers: well nice little tunes. But i think i go with the Elephants. Love his vocals on that one. He really tried to copy George Michael on that one (Faith anyone).



when 2 are in love - Still would stand all time: Still would stand all time wins this one. The second part of this song marks one of his most beautiful vocals ever.



Positivity - Graffiti Bridge/NPG PT 2: GB ist a great pop song, i really like, cant understand the hate. And NPG pt 2rocks too, so i go with GB/npG pt. 2



oh i forgot Joy in repetition - well that one kicks every track on LS. So GB wins this one.



And the GB - look was just great.



Whats your opinion?






What have the sales figures for Lovesexy got to do with whether or not it was a great album? I never realised Britney Spears 'Baby One More Time' album was 14 times greater than 'Sign O The Times'.... yup measuring the greatness of music by sales figures really is THAT flawed a science. Do you rank the greatness of all of Prince's albums by their sales figures? I certainly prefer Dirty Mind over Diamonds & Pearls.... but each to their own I guess.

Also, you are comparing the two albums on a track by track basis. Why? What does that achieve? Do you never listen to an album from beginning to end and hear it as a piece of work in its own right? So, if I prefer Take Me With U and The Beautiful Ones to Play in the Sunshine and Housequake.... does that mean Purple Rain kicks SOTT's ass because I like tracks 2 and 3 on one album more than the other, and so on?

Rating Lovesexy as an album based on how many great, good or bad songs it has on (in your opinion) kind of misses the point of what it set out to achieve. It was designed to be listened to as a whole. For my money Lovesexy is one of music's best ever examples of an album's ability to be far greater than the sum of its parts. So who cares which song is funkier between Lovesexy and We Can Funk? Seriously, where does that take us in determining the better album?

My opinion.... I too prefer Thieves in the Temple to Alphabet St. but I thought Lovesexy as an album was far better, because I can listen to it from beginning to end without skipping and it transports me back to a place and time. GB is an album I never, ever listen to as a whole because I find it an uneven and ultimately unsatisfying/uninspired ride (despite me loving six or seven of its tracks individually). Lovesexy is pure ear candy to me... GB.... No thanks.

Sorry if I sound pissy on this post.... but your measures for reasoning and determining quality/greateness of an album left me baffled. My fondness for Lovesexy is not determined by a comparison to GB or any other album. If it's great, it's great. period. Apples & Oranges.





Lovesexy is meh, never liked it that much...and the sales of it proved it. i was so happy when i got it as a tracked cd . So i wasnt forced anymore to listen to (avarage boring ) tracks like glam slam, dance on or positivity and when 2 are in love Hey but when u love it that much. Im ok with it. I prefer gb (the prince songs) And i prefer d&p over dirty mind! And dont give a fuck if its a classic in yuor book or not





Lovesexy world sales - 2.89 Million (U.K Platinum, U.S Gold) Rating - Meh+

Graffiti Bridge world sales - 2.5 Million (U.K Gold, U.S Gold) Rating - Meh


Yup.... you were right all along, the sales prove it. nuts nod yes











Lovesexy peaking at no. 11 in the us, GB peaked at 6...so lv was a big flop in the us, the most important market.
Even if lv outsold gb worldwide (please post the official link for this). Gb has the better single songs by prince. The single songs on ls are weak
[Edited 7/17/18 12:02pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 07/17/18 12:17pm

rdhull

avatar

james said:

GB is probably his worst album. Lovesexy one of his best. Seems simple to understand to me! lol


.


"Lay down your funky weapon"... nuff said! razz



Many worse than GB... Newpowersoul, Planet Earth, 2010, Musicology
And everytime I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it.. WELL CAN YA FEEL IT?!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 07/17/18 12:34pm

TheFman

I love Lovesexy. Thrue that besides Alphabet street and I wish you heaven, there aren't many of his very best compositions on it, quality-wise (even Lovesexy the song, while i adore it, i cant stand the synths)

Yet, as a whole, it's the real deal, the finished package, the ultimate joy smile

GB, on the other hand, is full of classic compositions that still today are amongst his finest. Especially when you close an eye and think it's the earlier versions on it wink

Yet, as a whole, it suffers from all the garbage and filler on it, and it's unlistenable without tweaking it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 07/17/18 12:57pm

NorthC

misiu said:

Yewdale said:



misiu said:


Yewdale said:



misiu said:


Almost every week i am reading here how great lovesexy is. I dont know what people are hearing. Out of the 9 tracks, just 3 are great. the rest is just ok. There are no real molodies at all. And it was his lowest selling album.



Graffiti Bridge on the other hand, shines with great melodies, funky-poppy tunes, hard funk and really great vocals (prince tracks).



Lets compare:



i know - new power generation: NPG wins this one for me with its poppy-Funky sound. And prince vocals are great on this one. Dont like that jazzy tone of i no.



alphabet St. - thieves in the temple: The hitsingles. Well both are cool, but i go with Thiesves. Very nice vocals. Alphabet st. is cool but too much sesam st.



Glam Slam - i cant stop: The pop-rocker . Well both not that great, i prefer i cant stop. GS ist just meh.



Anna Stesia - question of u: Very hard one. The vocals on Question are just beautiful and the melody is great (under the cherry moon wink, but after the guitar solo that just repeats the sung melody, it goes nowhere..this time i go with Anna



Dance on - tick tick bang: weakest tracks on both albums. Dance on has nothing that make me want to hear it again, no melody, no singing at all. I think i go with tick tick bang



Lovesexy - We can funk: well i really like the beat and the vocals on LS, but we can funk funks simply harder. Great tune.



i wish u heaven - elephants and flowers: well nice little tunes. But i think i go with the Elephants. Love his vocals on that one. He really tried to copy George Michael on that one (Faith anyone).



when 2 are in love - Still would stand all time: Still would stand all time wins this one. The second part of this song marks one of his most beautiful vocals ever.



Positivity - Graffiti Bridge/NPG PT 2: GB ist a great pop song, i really like, cant understand the hate. And NPG pt 2rocks too, so i go with GB/npG pt. 2



oh i forgot Joy in repetition - well that one kicks every track on LS. So GB wins this one.



And the GB - look was just great.



Whats your opinion?






What have the sales figures for Lovesexy got to do with whether or not it was a great album? I never realised Britney Spears 'Baby One More Time' album was 14 times greater than 'Sign O The Times'.... yup measuring the greatness of music by sales figures really is THAT flawed a science. Do you rank the greatness of all of Prince's albums by their sales figures? I certainly prefer Dirty Mind over Diamonds & Pearls.... but each to their own I guess.

Also, you are comparing the two albums on a track by track basis. Why? What does that achieve? Do you never listen to an album from beginning to end and hear it as a piece of work in its own right? So, if I prefer Take Me With U and The Beautiful Ones to Play in the Sunshine and Housequake.... does that mean Purple Rain kicks SOTT's ass because I like tracks 2 and 3 on one album more than the other, and so on?

Rating Lovesexy as an album based on how many great, good or bad songs it has on (in your opinion) kind of misses the point of what it set out to achieve. It was designed to be listened to as a whole. For my money Lovesexy is one of music's best ever examples of an album's ability to be far greater than the sum of its parts. So who cares which song is funkier between Lovesexy and We Can Funk? Seriously, where does that take us in determining the better album?

My opinion.... I too prefer Thieves in the Temple to Alphabet St. but I thought Lovesexy as an album was far better, because I can listen to it from beginning to end without skipping and it transports me back to a place and time. GB is an album I never, ever listen to as a whole because I find it an uneven and ultimately unsatisfying/uninspired ride (despite me loving six or seven of its tracks individually). Lovesexy is pure ear candy to me... GB.... No thanks.

Sorry if I sound pissy on this post.... but your measures for reasoning and determining quality/greateness of an album left me baffled. My fondness for Lovesexy is not determined by a comparison to GB or any other album. If it's great, it's great. period. Apples & Oranges.





Lovesexy is meh, never liked it that much...and the sales of it proved it. i was so happy when i got it as a tracked cd . So i wasnt forced anymore to listen to (avarage boring ) tracks like glam slam, dance on or positivity and when 2 are in love Hey but when u love it that much. Im ok with it. I prefer gb (the prince songs) And i prefer d&p over dirty mind! And dont give a fuck if its a classic in yuor book or not





Lovesexy world sales - 2.89 Million (U.K Platinum, U.S Gold) Rating - Meh+

Graffiti Bridge world sales - 2.5 Million (U.K Gold, U.S Gold) Rating - Meh


Yup.... you were right all along, the sales prove it. nuts nod yes











Lovesexy peaking at no. 11 in the us, GB peaked at 6...so lv was a big flop in the us, the most important market.
Even if lv outsold gb worldwide (please post the official link for this). Gb has the better single songs by prince. The single songs on ls are weak
[Edited 7/17/18 12:02pm]

Really? How many hit singles did Graffiti Bridge have? How many people were lining up in front of cinemas to see the movie? How many were lining up to see him play live? Ah, okay, don't bother... We all know the answer...
I may disagree with everything you say, but I will defend your right to say it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > i really think Graffiti Bridge kicks lovesexy´s ass