independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 13th Nov 2018 11:39pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Big Tall Wall
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/01/18 12:17pm

NorthC

Big Tall Wall

The music and the vocals on this song are absolutely amazing. The lyrics however... Not so much... He wants to keep his sexy woman that turns him on so much behind a Big Tall Wall.
Thoughts?
I may disagree with everything you say, but I will defend your right to say it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/01/18 12:27pm

luvsexy4all

it sucks as a song....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/01/18 12:39pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

I like that song music

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/01/18 12:57pm

Silvertongue7

I’ve never been able to get into this song (not only because of the lyrics). Somehow the high-pitch vocals grate on me...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/01/18 3:11pm

motherfunka

I love this song. Supposedly about Susannah after she moved out of the Galpin house and into an apartment by Lake Calhoun.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/01/18 3:13pm

IstenSzek

avatar

always loved this odd song. glad we got a quality upgrade a while back. music


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/01/18 4:12pm

MIRvmn

It's a really good song cool
We are living in Orwell's 1984
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/01/18 5:47pm

sulls

avatar

LOVE.THIS.SONG. Getting the full, studio quality version was one of my grails.

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/01/18 6:32pm

gandorb

Fun song!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/01/18 7:12pm

rdhull

avatar

Never got the love for this song. It was one of those I always read about and when I finally heard it, I was shocked how mediocre/plain it was to me. Too dense and monotonous imho.

Lost your keys? check princevault..lost your relationhip? check princevault..they have all the answers
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/01/18 7:40pm

purplepolitici
an

avatar

sulls said:

LOVE.THIS.SONG. Getting the full, studio quality version was one of my grails.

Not so much a holy grail 4 me, but I'm glad we got it anyways smile. Always loved this song, it's hilarious n damn catchy dancing jig. I got more hos than a golf course pimp2.

Can I get some, can I get some plagiarism?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/01/18 8:59pm

Krystalkisses

avatar

I've always liked that song. He defiantly wanted to possess his women (or the ones he really care for). It makes me think of that line "I think you really, need to be my pet, and let me put you in my cage" ..from that song from AOA.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/02/18 1:12am

TheGloved1

Put your behind on my BIG TALL WAALLLLLLLL!~ lol classic

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/02/18 4:56am

sulls

avatar

purplepolitician said:

sulls said:

LOVE.THIS.SONG. Getting the full, studio quality version was one of my grails.

Not so much a holy grail 4 me, but I'm glad we got it anyways smile. Always loved this song, it's hilarious n damn catchy dancing jig. I got more hos than a golf course pimp2.

"Oh yeah - U'll have company" lol lol lol

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/02/18 3:50pm

violetcrush

motherfunka said:

I love this song. Supposedly about Susannah after she moved out of the Galpin house and into an apartment by Lake Calhoun.

Yes, The apartment building she moved to was a stone round-shaped building. Interestingly, the song has the first mention (I think) of "Glam Slam" - "oh baby you're so glam, everytime I see you I wanna slam". This song always brings to mind the movie "Silence Of The Lambs", because the killer had that deep stone circle in the house where he would keep the women neutral The lyric "I'm gonna build a big tall wall, stone circle so you can't get out" fits that description exactly. Yikes!!! Wonder if the writer heard the bootleg of the song smile I like the song, because to me it seems to show his desparation for keeping her in his life, no matter what he has to do. Either that, or it's just him being saracastic about her drifting away from him.....probably a bit of both.

[Edited 7/2/18 15:52pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/02/18 3:55pm

violetcrush

Krystalkisses said:

I've always liked that song. He defiantly wanted to possess his women (or the ones he really care for). It makes me think of that line "I think you really, need to be my pet, and let me put you in my cage" ..from that song from AOA.

I love it too Krystal - see my note above....it seems to be the inception of "Glam Slam" smile And definitely seems to show that he did NOT want her to leave him.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/02/18 4:18pm

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

Claustrophobic, brooding, intense and slightly dangerous - I love it. It's classic Prince.

If there's ever a 'Sign 'O' Times' special edition I hope this is on it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/02/18 8:42pm

Krystalkisses

avatar

violetcrush said:



Krystalkisses said:


I've always liked that song. He defiantly wanted to possess his women (or the ones he really care for). It makes me think of that line "I think you really, need to be my pet, and let me put you in my cage" ..from that song from AOA.


I love it too Krystal - see my note above....it seems to be the inception of "Glam Slam" smile And definitely seems to show that he did NOT want her to leave him.




I love how honest Prince kept his lyrics, no matter how it appeared to others. I don't think he wanted to lose Susannah but I don't think he wanted to be a one woman man either.
[Edited 7/2/18 20:42pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/02/18 9:21pm

purplepolitici
an

avatar

sulls said:

purplepolitician said:

Not so much a holy grail 4 me, but I'm glad we got it anyways smile. Always loved this song, it's hilarious n damn catchy dancing jig. I got more hos than a golf course pimp2.

"Oh yeah - U'll have company" lol lol lol

But that ain't gonna stop uh me n u from havin, me n u from havin fun heart lol.

Can I get some, can I get some plagiarism?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/03/18 8:23am

violetcrush

Krystalkisses said:

violetcrush said:

I love it too Krystal - see my note above....it seems to be the inception of "Glam Slam" smile And definitely seems to show that he did NOT want her to leave him.

I love how honest Prince kept his lyrics, no matter how it appeared to others. I don't think he wanted to lose Susannah but I don't think he wanted to be a one woman man either. [Edited 7/2/18 20:42pm]

No, he would not have stopped with other women - no matter how hard he may have tried, and she knew that. He just could not avoid the temptation I guess.

*

There is a song on Larry Graham's album "Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda" that I think was written by Prince (even though he is not credited). He's singing backround and playing guitar, and it's got his lyric style all over it. It's about his regret of not making his ex stay, and that he would have had her "barefoot and pregnant with 4 kids in our backyard". Love that song, but it does not "fit" with Larry singing it. Hoping there is a version with just Prince singing it in the Vault that comes out some day!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/03/18 8:25am

ufoclub

avatar

Love the better quality version. Could easily imagine a mix that transitions from “Forever in My Life” to “Big Tall Wall”.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/03/18 8:31am

violetcrush

ufoclub said:

Love the better quality version. Could easily imagine a mix that transitions from “Forever in My Life” to “Big Tall Wall”.

So funny that you say that, because on my mix of songs I randomly have Adore right before Big Tall Wall, and the contrast is unbelieveable! To go from that sweet, touching song to the psychotic intesity of BTW is a crazy listening experience, and it really shows the internal emotional range that he had within him.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/03/18 8:54am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

OperatingThetan said:

Claustrophobic, brooding, intense and slightly dangerous - I love it. It's classic Prince. If there's ever a 'Sign 'O' Times' special edition I hope this is on it.

They just need to release a Dream Factory sessions disc with the quickness

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/03/18 9:00am

violetcrush

OldFriends4Sale said:

OperatingThetan said:

Claustrophobic, brooding, intense and slightly dangerous - I love it. It's classic Prince. If there's ever a 'Sign 'O' Times' special edition I hope this is on it.

They just need to release a Dream Factory sessions disc with the quickness

Right!! Frustrating that they will not involve the band members with these plans/decisions. They played these songs, and were there. They should have input.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/03/18 9:50am

Krystalkisses

avatar

violetcrush said:



Krystalkisses said:


violetcrush said:



I love it too Krystal - see my note above....it seems to be the inception of "Glam Slam" smile And definitely seems to show that he did NOT want her to leave him.



I love how honest Prince kept his lyrics, no matter how it appeared to others. I don't think he wanted to lose Susannah but I don't think he wanted to be a one woman man either. [Edited 7/2/18 20:42pm]


No, he would not have stopped with other women - no matter how hard he may have tried, and she knew that. He just could not avoid the temptation I guess.


*


There is a song on Larry Graham's album "Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda" that I think was written by Prince (even though he is not credited). He's singing backround and playing guitar, and it's got his lyric style all over it. It's about his regret of not making his ex stay, and that he would have had her "barefoot and pregnant with 4 kids in our backyard". Love that song, but it does not "fit" with Larry singing it. Hoping there is a version with just Prince singing it in the Vault that comes out some day!



That sounds interesting!!! Is that on Larry's 1998 CD? I have Chaka's come 2 my house and NPS but not that one.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/03/18 9:58am

violetcrush

Krystalkisses said:

violetcrush said:



Krystalkisses said:


violetcrush said:



I love it too Krystal - see my note above....it seems to be the inception of "Glam Slam" smile And definitely seems to show that he did NOT want her to leave him.



I love how honest Prince kept his lyrics, no matter how it appeared to others. I don't think he wanted to lose Susannah but I don't think he wanted to be a one woman man either. [Edited 7/2/18 20:42pm]


No, he would not have stopped with other women - no matter how hard he may have tried, and she knew that. He just could not avoid the temptation I guess.


*


There is a song on Larry Graham's album "Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda" that I think was written by Prince (even though he is not credited). He's singing backround and playing guitar, and it's got his lyric style all over it. It's about his regret of not making his ex stay, and that he would have had her "barefoot and pregnant with 4 kids in our backyard". Love that song, but it does not "fit" with Larry singing it. Hoping there is a version with just Prince singing it in the Vault that comes out some day!



That sounds interesting!!! Is that on Larry's 1998 CD? I have Chaka's come 2 my house and NPS but not that one.


It's on his later album. If you search "Larry Graham Shoulda Coukda Woukda" on YT you'll find it. The lyrics are very sweet. You will here Prince singing too and his guitar. He should have done the lead vocal though
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/03/18 9:59am

Krystalkisses

avatar

violetcrush said:

Krystalkisses said:



That sounds interesting!!! Is that on Larry's 1998 CD? I have Chaka's come 2 my house and NPS but not that one.


It's on his later album. If you search "Larry Graham Shoulda Coukda Woukda" on YT you'll find it. The lyrics are very sweet. You will here Prince singing too and his guitar. He should have done the lead vocal though


Thank you! It might be in the Vault. I will check it out! 😄
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/03/18 10:32am

violetcrush

Krystalkisses said:

violetcrush said:



It's on his later album. If you search "Larry Graham Shoulda Coukda Woukda" on YT you'll find it. The lyrics are very sweet. You will here Prince singing too and his guitar. He should have done the lead vocal though


Thank you! It might be in the Vault. I will check it out! 😄

Woops! Supposed to be "Shoulda Coulda Woulda"...dang iPhone keypad!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/03/18 10:38am

Krystalkisses

avatar

violetcrush said:

Krystalkisses said:



Thank you! It might be in the Vault. I will check it out! 😄

Woops! Supposed to be "Shoulda Coulda Woulda"...dang iPhone keypad!!


Lol! I know I always post from my phone and have to go back and edit my spelling!!!! Aggghh!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/03/18 10:41am

Silvertongue7

Krystalkisses said:

violetcrush said:



It's on his later album. If you search "Larry Graham Shoulda Coukda Woukda" on YT you'll find it. The lyrics are very sweet. You will here Prince singing too and his guitar. He should have done the lead vocal though


Thank you! It might be in the Vault. I will check it out! 😄

Great song, but Larry’s vocals... they’re a taste I haven’t acquired yet...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Big Tall Wall