independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 19th Jul 2018 8:05am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What does prince look like in the beginning of ATWIAD?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 06/29/18 4:47pm

bonatoc

avatar

violetcrush said:

violetcrush said:

Here's the alternative ATWIAD cover done by Jim Warren:

*

Image result for prince around the world in a day

Seems as though Prince decided to go with a more "folk art" or abstract picture of vision vs. a more realist view.....


Luckily, we've been spared the image of Julian Lennon as a wanker.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 06/29/18 5:16pm

bonatoc

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

violetcrush said:

Yes, I have no doubt the woman in the bikini and skirt is supposed to be Clara Bow on the album. I am inclined to base the images on the list that Prince gave to the artist. I guess it's possible that some of the other images could be Prince, but I don't think so. It's interesting that the girl with the Violin, from the picture that Susannah posed for, is the only one that looks exactly like the original picture - and it also was not on his original list.

Right, I wonder who came up with the idea of the female figured hills in the background?
.
Yeah the Susannah images is the only one we haven't heard of any background info.
.
This album cover has always been my favorite from the time I bought it in 1985. I got LOST in it. And the inner painting of the painted trees. I used to look intensly to see if there were any characters or imagery in there. Maybe Prince is peeking out at us somewhere.


The different font for each word was a great trademark (also in 1999 and PR if my memory doesn't fail me).
And each song's title had its own font, almost a logo (like PR).
And what about the transparent vinyl sticker, the flying kid with the balloon?
Handmade psychedelic letterings, just like the ol' days.

Design-wise, it was a no fault up until Graffiti Bridge, which is atrocious,
and the first in a long line of ugly sleeves.
God bless Laura LiPuma.


dIGTAYLH.jpg

R-1030796-1292538312.jpeg

Prince_Around_World_in_a_Day_side_1_Styrous.jpg


Prince_Around_World_in_a_Day_side_2_Styrous.jpg


prince_the_revolution-paisley_park_s.jpg

2016-04-22-1461349681-9084971-Paisley_AlbumCover5126700901_d0449ab822-thumb.jpg

1*9f2mAdbbqJKKAEtjyKAmIA.jpeg

02.jpeg

il_570xN.1149327645_5mly.jpg?version=0


[Edited 6/29/18 17:21pm]

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 06/29/18 7:18pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Prince being a fan of Clara Bow, I read this quote and it sounds like Prince. Especially that attitude we started hearing from 1980 onward and especially UPTOWN

Image may contain: 1 person, text

violetcrush said:

motherfunka said:

I went to a Sheila E show recently and she said that Prince wanted to look old on the cover. She said that the girl on the right, who I thought would have been Wendy, was actually Constance Guzman. Sheila said that the girl he was dating at the time didn't like the fact that Prince put Sheila on the cover and she said she somehow ended up with a mustache. She didn't mention names, but that would be Susannah. Jill Jones is the one who posed for the girl on the left who is crying.

I think Jill Jones is supposed to represent the girl who is crying on the cover (per what she stated Prince had told her),but I don't think the actual picture of the person that the artist used as a guide is Jill. She had short blonde hair at that time. It looks like Wendy posed for the shot. I think the woman to the right of Sheila represents Clara Bow (mentioned in the song "Condition Of The Heart") which Wendy is dressed like in the Raspberry Beret video. That song was said to be inspired by Susannah, and Wendy is Clara Bow in the song. I can't imagine that Prince would have told the artist to put a mustache on Sheila?? Although, it is a bit strange - I wondered why that was done.

*

Here's a picture of Clara Bow in a similar look that Wendy had in the RB video:

*

Related image

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 06/30/18 8:16am

violetcrush

OldFriends4Sale said:

Prince being a fan of Clara Bow, I read this quote and it sounds like Prince. Especially that attitude we started hearing from 1980 onward and especially UPTOWN

Image may contain: 1 person, text

violetcrush said:

I think Jill Jones is supposed to represent the girl who is crying on the cover (per what she stated Prince had told her),but I don't think the actual picture of the person that the artist used as a guide is Jill. She had short blonde hair at that time. It looks like Wendy posed for the shot. I think the woman to the right of Sheila represents Clara Bow (mentioned in the song "Condition Of The Heart") which Wendy is dressed like in the Raspberry Beret video. That song was said to be inspired by Susannah, and Wendy is Clara Bow in the song. I can't imagine that Prince would have told the artist to put a mustache on Sheila?? Although, it is a bit strange - I wondered why that was done.

*

Here's a picture of Clara Bow in a similar look that Wendy had in the RB video:

*

Related image

Yes, Prince's interest in Clara's career and life makes sense. It has also been written that he loved the old 30's and 40's films - Jill Jones had stated this in an old interview, and Susannah talked bout them watching the old films together, and of course UTCM was influenced by them. He also talks about going to see those films in "The Good Life" - "Everyday after school, U know where to find this brother, Uptown at every movie show, outta my life 2 another, that was the only thing I wanted to do, that was my drug of choice, left all the funny smellin' cigarettes to the American boys. La Dolce Vita" was the knob that turned me on, Marcello Mastroianni Italian Mac comin' on strong, he had all the honies, the kind from the magazines, small waist, big...right! biggest ones you've ever seen!"

*

I do think that Wendy, Lisa and Susannah would most likely have the most information about his choices for the imagery and art for the album. They were spending so much time with him during this period.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 06/30/18 11:49am

violetcrush

So, in looking more closely at the Raspberry Beret video..... I see that Matt Fink is wearing the grey haired wig, Wendy is dressed like Clara Bow, and I'm wondering if Susannah might be the one in the white robe playing the Violin?? She had red hair at that time, and it looks quite a bit like her. Prince is wearing a similar hairstyle to the album cover - wondering if he intended to have the blonde hair for this video?? Princevault says he originally planned for the video to be entirely animated, so it seems he may have wanted to bring the album cover "to life" so to speak.

*

Image result for prince raspberry beret

*

Related imageImage result for prince raspberry beret

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 06/30/18 12:00pm

violetcrush

Regarding Prince's hair stylist in the 80's - here is the Crew info for the Girls & Boys video from Princevault.....

*

Crew
  • Michael Ballhaus - cinematographer
  • Mishka Cheyko - first assistant director
  • Marc Jenny - second assistant director
  • David M. Dunlap - first assistant camera
  • Florian Ballhaus - assistant camera
  • Jan Sebastian Ballhaus - assistant camera
  • Heinz Sottung - key grip
  • Michel Ferry - second assistant director
  • M.F. Bernstein
  • Earl Jones - hair
  • Robyn Lynch - makeup
  • Daniel Brisseau (and his crew) - sound mixer
  • Rachel Griffiths - script supervisor
  • Jean-Yves Asselin - location manager
  • Two policemen

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 06/30/18 2:21pm

bonatoc

avatar

I take it you're still (always?) in Prince's hair.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 06/30/18 2:23pm

rdhull

avatar

Earl fucked u his head?! mad

violetcrush said:

Regarding Prince's hair stylist in the 80's - here is the Crew info for the Girls & Boys video from Princevault.....

*

Crew
  • Michael Ballhaus - cinematographer
  • Mishka Cheyko - first assistant director
  • Marc Jenny - second assistant director
  • David M. Dunlap - first assistant camera
  • Florian Ballhaus - assistant camera
  • Jan Sebastian Ballhaus - assistant camera
  • Heinz Sottung - key grip
  • Michel Ferry - second assistant director
  • M.F. Bernstein
  • Earl Jones - hair
  • Robyn Lynch - makeup
  • Daniel Brisseau (and his crew) - sound mixer
  • Rachel Griffiths - script supervisor
  • Jean-Yves Asselin - location manager
  • Two policemen

And everytime I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it.. WELL CAN YA FEEL IT?!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 06/30/18 3:41pm

violetcrush

bonatoc said:

I take it you're still (always?) in Prince's hair.

Oh, aren't u the clever one.... biggrin

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 06/30/18 3:42pm

violetcrush

rdhull said:

Earl fucked u his head?! mad

violetcrush said:

Regarding Prince's hair stylist in the 80's - here is the Crew info for the Girls & Boys video from Princevault.....

*

Crew
  • Michael Ballhaus - cinematographer
  • Mishka Cheyko - first assistant director
  • Marc Jenny - second assistant director
  • David M. Dunlap - first assistant camera
  • Florian Ballhaus - assistant camera
  • Jan Sebastian Ballhaus - assistant camera
  • Heinz Sottung - key grip
  • Michel Ferry - second assistant director
  • M.F. Bernstein
  • Earl Jones - hair
  • Robyn Lynch - makeup
  • Daniel Brisseau (and his crew) - sound mixer
  • Rachel Griffiths - script supervisor
  • Jean-Yves Asselin - location manager
  • Two policemen

rdhull - He asked Earl to dye his hair blonde, and apparently it did not go well. I guess Earl was not well versed on the hair coloring side of the business....

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 06/30/18 5:15pm

TrivialPursuit

violetcrush said:

rdhull - He asked Earl to dye his hair blonde, and apparently it did not go well. I guess Earl was not well versed on the hair coloring side of the business....


LOL ok.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 06/30/18 5:37pm

bonatoc

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

violetcrush said:

rdhull - He asked Earl to dye his hair blonde, and apparently it did not go well. I guess Earl was not well versed on the hair coloring side of the business....


LOL ok.



- O silly man, thou shalt not take Michael's path.
Don't go all whitey on me, one trauma in the family is enough already.

- Ow c'm'on, it's an Antoine de Saint-Exupéry shtick! The Little Prince, you get it? Little? Prince? Get it?
Sheila is Diana gone dirty Versailles romance, and I'll be her hermaphrodite doppel-ganger, see...
Like, I'll look at myself in the mirror, and I see a woman, dig? Myself as a woman. The Ultimate Experience.

- Oh, silly man, that's not how it works.
You have to want to go blonde for the right reasons.

- I do!

- You don't, now have your hair like carrot pie.


[Edited 6/30/18 17:38pm]

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 06/30/18 6:18pm

rdhull

avatar

violetcrush said:



rdhull said:


Earl fucked u his head?! mad



violetcrush said:


Regarding Prince's hair stylist in the 80's - here is the Crew info for the Girls & Boys video from Princevault.....


*




Crew


  • Michael Ballhaus - cinematographer

  • Mishka Cheyko - first assistant director

  • Marc Jenny - second assistant director

  • David M. Dunlap - first assistant camera

  • Florian Ballhaus - assistant camera

  • Jan Sebastian Ballhaus - assistant camera

  • Heinz Sottung - key grip

  • Michel Ferry - second assistant director

  • M.F. Bernstein

  • Earl Jones - hair

  • Robyn Lynch - makeup

  • Daniel Brisseau (and his crew) - sound mixer

  • Rachel Griffiths - script supervisor

  • Jean-Yves Asselin - location manager

  • Two policemen





rdhull - He asked Earl to dye his hair blonde, and apparently it did not go well. I guess Earl was not well versed on the hair coloring side of the business....



That’s why I said Earl fucked up Princes hair! mad
[Edited 6/30/18 18:18pm]
And everytime I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it.. WELL CAN YA FEEL IT?!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 06/30/18 7:41pm

violetcrush

bonatoc said:

TrivialPursuit said:


LOL ok.



- O silly man, thou shalt not take Michael's path.
Don't go all whitey on me, one trauma in the family is enough already.

- Ow c'm'on, it's an Antoine de Saint-Exupéry shtick! The Little Prince, you get it? Little? Prince? Get it?
Sheila is Diana gone dirty Versailles romance, and I'll be her hermaphrodite doppel-ganger, see...
Like, I'll look at myself in the mirror, and I see a woman, dig? Myself as a woman. The Ultimate Experience.

- Oh, silly man, that's not how it works.
You have to want to go blonde for the right reasons.

- I do!

- You don't, now have your hair like carrot pie.


[Edited 6/30/18 17:38pm]

lol lol lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 06/30/18 10:58pm

LEATHRSAIL

avatar

In one of the more recent interviews with The Revolution. Matt said that was his hair with something in it to make it silver.

violetcrush said:

So, in looking more closely at the Raspberry Beret video..... I see that Matt Fink is wearing the grey haired wig, Wendy is dressed like Clara Bow, and I'm wondering if Susannah might be the one in the white robe playing the Violin?? She had red hair at that time, and it looks quite a bit like her. Prince is wearing a similar hairstyle to the album cover - wondering if he intended to have the blonde hair for this video?? Princevault says he originally planned for the video to be entirely animated, so it seems he may have wanted to bring the album cover "to life" so to speak.

*

Image result for prince raspberry beret

*

Related imageImage result for prince raspberry beret

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 07/02/18 1:57am

bonatoc

avatar

LEATHRSAIL said:

In one of the more recent interviews with The Revolution. Matt said that was his hair with something in it to make it silver.

violetcrush said:

So, in looking more closely at the Raspberry Beret video..... I see that Matt Fink is wearing the grey haired wig, Wendy is dressed like Clara Bow, and I'm wondering if Susannah might be the one in the white robe playing the Violin?? She had red hair at that time, and it looks quite a bit like her. Prince is wearing a similar hairstyle to the album cover - wondering if he intended to have the blonde hair for this video?? Princevault says he originally planned for the video to be entirely animated, so it seems he may have wanted to bring the album cover "to life" so to speak.

*

Image result for prince raspberry beret

*

Related imageImage result for prince raspberry beret


It looks like the "silver" effect is achieved by applying hair gel, designed strands and proper lighting.
The first image shows blue hair because of a blue spotlight above.
Then there's a white light in some of the frames.

Prince had incredible hair: I'm amazed at all they went through,
I used to think he would get bald in his fourties, but nope.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 07/02/18 10:20am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

bonatoc said:

LEATHRSAIL said:

In one of the more recent interviews with The Revolution. Matt said that was his hair with something in it to make it silver.


It looks like the "silver" effect is achieved by applying hair gel, designed strands and proper lighting.
The first image shows blue hair because of a blue spotlight above.
Then there's a white light in some of the frames.

Prince had incredible hair: I'm amazed at all they went through,
I used to think he would get bald in his fourties, but nope.

I think Leathrsail is talking about Dr Finks hair

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 07/02/18 1:41pm

poppys

bonatoc said:

violetcrush said:

Here's the alternative ATWIAD cover done by Jim Warren:

*

aroundtheoworldinadayforprince.jpg

Seems as though Prince decided to go with a more "folk art" or abstract picture of vision vs. a more realist view.....


Luckily, we've been spared the image of Julian Lennon as a wanker.


Or Sean Penn.

julian-lennon-wallpapers.jpg0427126a7391e4bdcf9d25567b5e350e.jpg



[Edited 7/2/18 13:48pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 07/02/18 2:46pm

violetcrush

poppys said:

bonatoc said:


Luckily, we've been spared the image of Julian Lennon as a wanker.


Or Sean Penn.

julian-lennon-wallpapers.jpg0427126a7391e4bdcf9d25567b5e350e.jpg



[Edited 7/2/18 13:48pm]

An interview with the artist, and The Revolution + Susannah to discuss the detail of this album cover is what we need! I'll get right on that..... biggrin wink

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 07/10/18 11:46pm

CatB

OldFriends4Sale said:

But seriously After 1994 Prince cut his hair and it was short styles until he grew it out in 98
The only really 'elaborate' look was that 1991-1994/95 look which basically never changed. It was always that same 'typhoon' look.



He had already cut his hair in 94 wink When I first met him it was 94 and he had the pixie cut.




"Time is space spent with U"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 07/11/18 12:00am

CatB

jaawwnn said:

getwild180 said:

I know he made the raspberry beret video however this was his first album that doesn't feature his face. I would like to see what he looked like right at the beginning of around the world in a day. Mainly what his hairstyle was like during this period. I heard stories that he dyed his hair blond and then got it cut because it didn't look good. If anybody has any that would be cool.

I get what you're saying, he apparently cut it super short literally right after the last purple rain show, you can see his short hair in the 4 the Tears in Your Eyes video which was shot in April 1985, same month as ATWIAD came out.

Having said that, I've never been able to work out the chronology - another story says he bleached it after shooting the Raspberry Beret video, but before reshoots and he wore a wig for reshoots, so that means June 1985 - but why does the Prince drawing on the cover have bleached hair? Did he bleach his hair because he liked the drawing or did he bleach it several times or what?

confusion.


He had already bleached his hair during filming Purple Rain (the look on the ATWIAD cover was to become his new image) and was partially wearing a wig in the movie. Because the bleach caused his hair to break he had to cut it. That Liza Minelli hair in the ATWIAD video was not planned but the result of the hair damage.



"Time is space spent with U"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #111 posted 07/11/18 7:18am

motherfunka

CatB said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

But seriously After 1994 Prince cut his hair and it was short styles until he grew it out in 98
The only really 'elaborate' look was that 1991-1994/95 look which basically never changed. It was always that same 'typhoon' look.



He had already cut his hair in 94 wink When I first met him it was 94 and he had the pixie cut.




It was cut short in late 93.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #112 posted 07/13/18 5:15am

jaawwnn

avatar

CatB said:

jaawwnn said:

I get what you're saying, he apparently cut it super short literally right after the last purple rain show, you can see his short hair in the 4 the Tears in Your Eyes video which was shot in April 1985, same month as ATWIAD came out.

Having said that, I've never been able to work out the chronology - another story says he bleached it after shooting the Raspberry Beret video, but before reshoots and he wore a wig for reshoots, so that means June 1985 - but why does the Prince drawing on the cover have bleached hair? Did he bleach his hair because he liked the drawing or did he bleach it several times or what?

confusion.


He had already bleached his hair during filming Purple Rain (the look on the ATWIAD cover was to become his new image) and was partially wearing a wig in the movie. Because the bleach caused his hair to break he had to cut it. That Liza Minelli hair in the ATWIAD video was not planned but the result of the hair damage.



Purple Rain was filmed in 1983, the ATWIAD cover wasn't made till, when, early 1985? Late 1984? He wasn't wearing a wig for the entire Purple Rain tour. I'm even more confused now.

[Edited 7/13/18 5:15am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #113 posted 07/13/18 6:06am

CatB

jaawwnn said:

CatB said:


He had already bleached his hair during filming Purple Rain (the look on the ATWIAD cover was to become his new image) and was partially wearing a wig in the movie. Because the bleach caused his hair to break he had to cut it. That Liza Minelli hair in the ATWIAD video was not planned but the result of the hair damage.



Purple Rain was filmed in 1983, the ATWIAD cover wasn't made till, when, early 1985? Late 1984? He wasn't wearing a wig for the entire Purple Rain tour. I'm even more confused now.

[Edited 7/13/18 5:15am]



He was wearing a wig during some stages of filming Purple Rain. He said so himself. And it was a result of the bleaching going wrong.


"Time is space spent with U"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #114 posted 07/13/18 7:23am

1nonly

avatar

Well, I don't post often these days, but reading this thread is simply fascinating. Thank you, folks, for all the insight.

Walking alone in the dark, I see nothing u see
I can be in a park, or flying in the…in the deep sea
I wish u’d hold my hand; then everything could b
There’s nothing strange, we’re not deranged
We only want everyday 2 b a Cosmic Day
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #115 posted 07/13/18 7:44am

jaawwnn

avatar

CatB said:

jaawwnn said:

Purple Rain was filmed in 1983, the ATWIAD cover wasn't made till, when, early 1985? Late 1984? He wasn't wearing a wig for the entire Purple Rain tour. I'm even more confused now.

[Edited 7/13/18 5:15am]



He was wearing a wig during some stages of filming Purple Rain. He said so himself. And it was a result of the bleaching going wrong.


oh yeah, here's the story, as quoted by the BBC but it's a close to a verbatin take from the book:

Prince's former art director Steve Parke recently published a book featuring the intimate, behind-the-scenes photographs he took of the star during his time at Paisley Park.

He also recounts the time Prince invited him to watch a montage of old performances he was preparing for the American Music Awards. When a scene from Purple Rain appeared, the star bellowed, "Look at that wig!" and burst out laughing.

Parke later asked Prince's hair stylist Earl Jones about the comment. He explained the star had had to reshoot a few scenes after the filming wrapped - but he had already cut his hair and bleached it blond - necessitating the bouffant hairpiece.

Jones added that Prince had reacted so badly to the bleach that his hair started breaking off, so he had to let it grow out, and dye it back to black.

"The hairstyle in Raspberry Beret was literally all I could do with it."


It makes no sense. They jump from the reshoots for Purple Rain (some time in early 1984 I assume?) to the Raspberry Beret video, which per Princevault was shot in June 1985. Unless we are to believe Prince was wearing a wig for most of 1984?? Something in that story doesn't make sense. Maybe he had been growing his hair out from December(ish) 1983 till his first public appearance in 1984 which was in May, the 4th Minnesota Music Awards, do we have any pictures of that night?

Sorry if i seem like i'm being needlessly pedantic here, i'm just genuinely curious.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #116 posted 07/13/18 12:28pm

violetcrush

jaawwnn said:

CatB said:



He was wearing a wig during some stages of filming Purple Rain. He said so himself. And it was a result of the bleaching going wrong.


oh yeah, here's the story, as quoted by the BBC but it's a close to a verbatin take from the book:

Prince's former art director Steve Parke recently published a book featuring the intimate, behind-the-scenes photographs he took of the star during his time at Paisley Park.

He also recounts the time Prince invited him to watch a montage of old performances he was preparing for the American Music Awards. When a scene from Purple Rain appeared, the star bellowed, "Look at that wig!" and burst out laughing.

Parke later asked Prince's hair stylist Earl Jones about the comment. He explained the star had had to reshoot a few scenes after the filming wrapped - but he had already cut his hair and bleached it blond - necessitating the bouffant hairpiece.

Jones added that Prince had reacted so badly to the bleach that his hair started breaking off, so he had to let it grow out, and dye it back to black.

"The hairstyle in Raspberry Beret was literally all I could do with it."


It makes no sense. They jump from the reshoots for Purple Rain (some time in early 1984 I assume?) to the Raspberry Beret video, which per Princevault was shot in June 1985. Unless we are to believe Prince was wearing a wig for most of 1984?? Something in that story doesn't make sense. Maybe he had been growing his hair out from December(ish) 1983 till his first public appearance in 1984 which was in May, the 4th Minnesota Music Awards, do we have any pictures of that night?

Sorry if i seem like i'm being needlessly pedantic here, i'm just genuinely curious.

Good point - the dates are "off", as any re-shoots for PR would have been completed by Spring of '84 in order to have the film completed by July '84. If his "dye job gone wrong" had occured during that time he would have had to have worn a wig during all of the PR shows from Nov '84 through April '85. That can't be the case....right?? Was he really wearing a wig during the PR tour??

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #117 posted 07/13/18 2:15pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

violetcrush said:

jaawwnn said:

oh yeah, here's the story, as quoted by the BBC but it's a close to a verbatin take from the book:

Prince's former art director Steve Parke recently published a book featuring the intimate, behind-the-scenes photographs he took of the star during his time at Paisley Park.

He also recounts the time Prince invited him to watch a montage of old performances he was preparing for the American Music Awards. When a scene from Purple Rain appeared, the star bellowed, "Look at that wig!" and burst out laughing.

Parke later asked Prince's hair stylist Earl Jones about the comment. He explained the star had had to reshoot a few scenes after the filming wrapped - but he had already cut his hair and bleached it blond - necessitating the bouffant hairpiece.

Jones added that Prince had reacted so badly to the bleach that his hair started breaking off, so he had to let it grow out, and dye it back to black.

"The hairstyle in Raspberry Beret was literally all I could do with it."


It makes no sense. They jump from the reshoots for Purple Rain (some time in early 1984 I assume?) to the Raspberry Beret video, which per Princevault was shot in June 1985. Unless we are to believe Prince was wearing a wig for most of 1984?? Something in that story doesn't make sense. Maybe he had been growing his hair out from December(ish) 1983 till his first public appearance in 1984 which was in May, the 4th Minnesota Music Awards, do we have any pictures of that night?

Sorry if i seem like i'm being needlessly pedantic here, i'm just genuinely curious.

Good point - the dates are "off", as any re-shoots for PR would have been completed by Spring of '84 in order to have the film completed by July '84. If his "dye job gone wrong" had occured during that time he would have had to have worn a wig during all of the PR shows from Nov '84 through April '85. That can't be the case....right?? Was he really wearing a wig during the PR tour??

I think the 'filming' might be a concert film

clearly this is sometime prior to the filming of Raspberry Beret

I'm thinking the 'fiming' might be the Syracuse show filmed for release

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #118 posted 07/13/18 2:15pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

jaawwnn said:

CatB said:



He was wearing a wig during some stages of filming Purple Rain. He said so himself. And it was a result of the bleaching going wrong.


oh yeah, here's the story, as quoted by the BBC but it's a close to a verbatin take from the book:

Prince's former art director Steve Parke recently published a book featuring the intimate, behind-the-scenes photographs he took of the star during his time at Paisley Park.

He also recounts the time Prince invited him to watch a montage of old performances he was preparing for the American Music Awards. When a scene from Purple Rain appeared, the star bellowed, "Look at that wig!" and burst out laughing.

Parke later asked Prince's hair stylist Earl Jones about the comment. He explained the star had had to reshoot a few scenes after the filming wrapped - but he had already cut his hair and bleached it blond - necessitating the bouffant hairpiece.

Jones added that Prince had reacted so badly to the bleach that his hair started breaking off, so he had to let it grow out, and dye it back to black.

"The hairstyle in Raspberry Beret was literally all I could do with it."


It makes no sense. They jump from the reshoots for Purple Rain (some time in early 1984 I assume?) to the Raspberry Beret video, which per Princevault was shot in June 1985. Unless we are to believe Prince was wearing a wig for most of 1984?? Something in that story doesn't make sense. Maybe he had been growing his hair out from December(ish) 1983 till his first public appearance in 1984 which was in May, the 4th Minnesota Music Awards, do we have any pictures of that night?

Sorry if i seem like i'm being needlessly pedantic here, i'm just genuinely curious.

yeah time has blurred in that. I'm thinking it is the filming of the Syracuse show

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #119 posted 07/13/18 2:16pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

1nonly said:

Well, I don't post often these days, but reading this thread is simply fascinating. Thank you, folks, for all the insight.

So much interesting stuff STILL from those day lol Hello!!

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What does prince look like in the beginning of ATWIAD?