independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 16th Nov 2018 4:23pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Estate Strikes Deal With Sony Music (EXCLUSIVE)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 5 <12345>

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 06/16/18 6:12am

jaypotton

TrevorAyer said:

The good news is we may get a post wb hits package which if done well could create public interest in his later albums ... bad news is most of his later albums sucked ... i would love an UN mastered series with his most recent brickwalls presented without the butchered mastering ... alas we live in an age of deaf consumers so they will probably take the opposite approach and brickwall his whole catalog


"Most of his later albums sucked" I think you missed IMHO lol
'I loved him then, I love him now and will love him eternally. He's with our son now.' Mayte 21st April 2016 = the saddest quote I have ever read! RIP Prince and thanks for everything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 06/16/18 6:33am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

IstenSzek said:

Vannormal said:

...post 1996 work then.

Could only mean an album released with all new material... ?

No one else is waiting for, lets say 1996-2003 material right now (right ?)

-

all that (usual loud) buzz... - we'll see when I got something real in my hands (yawn)


tbh, i'd rather have the "madrid 2 chicago" right now, instead of, say "dream factory"


eek i know, it might seem shocking to some lol




Same. Let's not forget that The Divine was recorded in 1996, which in Prince's opinion was so good he couldn't even finish listening to it. biggrin


https://usatoday30.usatod...ghts_N.htm

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 06/16/18 6:43am

ChocolateBox31
21

TrevorAyer said:

The good news is we may get a post wb hits package which if done well could create public interest in his later albums ... bad news is most of his later albums sucked ... i would love an UN mastered series with his most recent brickwalls presented without the butchered mastering ... alas we live in an age of deaf consumers so they will probably take the opposite approach and brickwall his whole catalog


[Bait snip - luv4u]

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 06/16/18 7:10am

skywalker

avatar

The truth is that both Sony and WB will likely treat Prince's back catalog better than he ever did. I mean, it's a crime that albums like The Gold Experience and Emancipation are out of print. A little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing...
"New Power slide...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 06/16/18 7:19am

Germanegro

connorhawke said:

An interesting development.



It's good to see forward movement on all three fronts: WB, Tidal and Sony. Who cares if they clash, monopolies are never helpful.



Sony vs Warners should enable healthy competition to aim for quality releases, rather than just releasing what will sell. Now they are slightly in competition with each other for substance to attract dollars.


yeahthat For realz! This would be Prince's hottest wet dream come true, and if economically beneficial to the labels, the best situation for all of us: fans, g.p., and the family.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 06/16/18 7:20am

IstenSzek

avatar

SchlomoThaHomo said:

IstenSzek said:


tbh, i'd rather have the "madrid 2 chicago" right now, instead of, say "dream factory"


eek i know, it might seem shocking to some lol




Same. Let's not forget that The Divine was recorded in 1996, which in Prince's opinion was so good he couldn't even finish listening to it. biggrin


https://usatoday30.usatod...ghts_N.htm


oh god, "YES!" to releasing 'the divine' woot!


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 06/16/18 7:30am

jaypotton

Curious what folks would most like to see for post Warner Bros material...

- Remastered deluxe edition albums with out takes and relevant vault material

OR

- Vault only material releases

And yes there may be sufficient material to do both of course!

Personally I am also hoping for a definitive live album series (a main concert and aftershow from each tour) ideally also with DVD!
'I loved him then, I love him now and will love him eternally. He's with our son now.' Mayte 21st April 2016 = the saddest quote I have ever read! RIP Prince and thanks for everything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 06/16/18 7:47am

Strive

leecaldon said:



Revolution18 said:


This is terrible news. I hope I am wrong but after what Sony did to the Michael Jackson releases I don't hold much hope. Here some info for those who don't no. First MJ release was a greatest hits from "This Is It" this had one new song and album versions of hits with the also the movie. (That actually was decent) The next album was "Michael" 3 of the ten tracks were sung by an impersonater and not Michael the other 7 songs were produced ok but none of the songs were fully the way Michael left them. Then there was immortal a remix album for cirque. This would of been better if they had got the actual producers who worked on the music to make this remix album just like they got George Martin and his son to remix The Beatles for the "Love Album" Then we got Xscape which was remixed by Timberland. That was ok but I don't like the thought of anybody touching Prince's music let alone making songs into duets that didn't happen like they did with Michael and Justin Timberlake. Then the latest release has been another greatest hits. Sorry for the rant but I really don't hold much faith in Sony.



Excuse me?



https://en.m.wikipedia.or...ontroversy
no yesterday or tomorrow, no better remedy for sorrow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 06/16/18 8:34am

TrcikyChristop
her

leecaldon said:

Revolution18 said:

This is terrible news. I hope I am wrong but after what Sony did to the Michael Jackson releases I don't hold much hope. Here some info for those who don't no. First MJ release was a greatest hits from "This Is It" this had one new song and album versions of hits with the also the movie. (That actually was decent) The next album was "Michael" 3 of the ten tracks were sung by an impersonater and not Michael the other 7 songs were produced ok but none of the songs were fully the way Michael left them. Then there was immortal a remix album for cirque. This would of been better if they had got the actual producers who worked on the music to make this remix album just like they got George Martin and his son to remix The Beatles for the "Love Album" Then we got Xscape which was remixed by Timberland. That was ok but I don't like the thought of anybody touching Prince's music let alone making songs into duets that didn't happen like they did with Michael and Justin Timberlake. Then the latest release has been another greatest hits. Sorry for the rant but I really don't hold much faith in Sony.

Excuse me?

The "impersonator's" name was Jason Malachi. He recorded what was originally touted as MJ demos, then as reference vocals, for years before the "Michael" album was released.They were all over YouTube for a while. Sony took 3 of those songs ("Breaking News", "Keep Your Head Up" and "Monster") and put them on the "Michael" album as MJ originals and then pulled all evidence from YouTube, etc.

The concensus among MJ fans, and even Paris, was that Malachi was paid off by Sony to stay silent. He even admitted it was him, his manager admitted it, and then both took their stories back and said that Malachi's sites were all "hacked". A fan filed a class action lawsuit against Sony that is still pending.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/0...n-malachi/

[Edited 6/16/18 8:34am]

[Edited 6/16/18 8:35am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 06/16/18 8:53am

jdcxc

ChocolateBox3121 said:



TrevorAyer said:


The good news is we may get a post wb hits package which if done well could create public interest in his later albums ... bad news is most of his later albums sucked ... i would love an UN mastered series with his most recent brickwalls presented without the butchered mastering ... alas we live in an age of deaf consumers so they will probably take the opposite approach and brickwall his whole catalog



[Bait snip - luv4u]



Exactly! Sounds like one of those lazy music “journalists” that only know Purple Rain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 06/16/18 9:22am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

Happy news. None of us is getting any younger, and I want as much of this shit in my hands as I can get while I'm still able to dance to it! lol

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 06/16/18 9:50am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Someone in the comments said there are 3500 unrealeased songs. Hope that is right. lol

They talk about the commercial potential, but I doubt there is much now which how awful today's music is. They may sell a few thousand but not much more. Sony may not make much back.

"My motherfucker's so cool sheep count him."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 06/16/18 9:58am

IstenSzek

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

Someone in the comments said there are 3500 unrealeased songs. Hope that is right. lol

They talk about the commercial potential, but I doubt there is much now which how awful today's music is. They may sell a few thousand but not much more. Sony may not make much back.



they should just release a great 10 unreleased albums box set for $150,-

if they sell 200,000 worldwide they've already got a large chunk of their
money back. well, all of it, minus production cost.

after that they can just release whatever they want lol


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 06/16/18 12:22pm

ladygirl99

TrcikyChristopher said:

leecaldon said:

Excuse me?

The "impersonator's" name was Jason Malachi. He recorded what was originally touted as MJ demos, then as reference vocals, for years before the "Michael" album was released.They were all over YouTube for a while. Sony took 3 of those songs ("Breaking News", "Keep Your Head Up" and "Monster") and put them on the "Michael" album as MJ originals and then pulled all evidence from YouTube, etc.

The concensus among MJ fans, and even Paris, was that Malachi was paid off by Sony to stay silent. He even admitted it was him, his manager admitted it, and then both took their stories back and said that Malachi's sites were all "hacked". A fan filed a class action lawsuit against Sony that is still pending.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/0...n-malachi/

[Edited 6/16/18 8:34am]

[Edited 6/16/18 8:35am]

Typical shady industry asses. Always willing to do anything for money. I sincerely hope the fans will win the class action suit and they got mislead. Yeah, people were already suspecting a couple of tracks were sung by an impersonator so people weren't quite fooled.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 06/16/18 12:26pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Stay on topic folks lurking

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 06/16/18 12:44pm

purplerabbitho
le

I wouldn't challenge this guy's knowledge..else you are going to get a long diatribe against his later music. I disagree that post 96 music sucked. I do understand a bit where he is coming from. Hear me out. I think he did a shit job of packaging his music. Take Crystal Ball for example. Imagine if P had just put out the "Truth" album by itself and giving it the hype it deserved and had properly categorized and organized the other tracks on Crystal Ball, how much more acclaim and attention the songs would have gotten. i think it would be best to put stuff on streaming sites and have prince aficionados pick out the choice cuts from each album. there is a lot of good music there.

jdcxc said:

ChocolateBox3121 said:

[Bait snip - luv4u]

Exactly! Sounds like one of those lazy music “journalists” that only know Purple Rain.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 06/16/18 12:47pm

purplerabbitho
le

Had Warner Brothers made songs from the Gold Experience, Come and Chaoes and Disorder more easiliy available now? I haven't checked spotify and I-tunes lately? I am wondering about that period between the Symbol album and 96?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 06/16/18 12:53pm

MIRvmn

IstenSzek said:



2freaky4church1 said:


Someone in the comments said there are 3500 unrealeased songs. Hope that is right. lol



They talk about the commercial potential, but I doubt there is much now which how awful today's music is. They may sell a few thousand but not much more. Sony may not make much back.





they should just release a great 10 unreleased albums box set for $150,-

if they sell 200,000 worldwide they've already got a large chunk of their
money back. well, all of it, minus production cost.

after that they can just release whatever they want lol



They should start with the 10 unreleased albums from 2010-2014 smile
We are living in Orwell's 1984
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 06/16/18 1:48pm

TrevorAyer

jaypotton said:

Curious what folks would most like to see for post Warner Bros material...

- Remastered deluxe edition albums with out takes and relevant vault material

OR

- Vault only material releases

And yes there may be sufficient material to do both of course!

Personally I am also hoping for a definitive live album series (a main concert and aftershow from each tour) ideally also with DVD!


I think his later live periods are the one place post wb output could truly shine

Partucularly montreaux 2013 and welcome 2 tours ... the vault can’t have much post wb ... the albums were challenging with a few bright spots but there are some tight live shows that are recent and could bring a whole new audience if the right demographic can get hooked
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 06/16/18 1:55pm

IstenSzek

avatar

MIRvmn said:

IstenSzek said:



they should just release a great 10 unreleased albums box set for $150,-

if they sell 200,000 worldwide they've already got a large chunk of their
money back. well, all of it, minus production cost.

after that they can just release whatever they want lol


They should start with the 10 unreleased albums from 2010-2014 smile


TAKE-MY-MONEY-NOW! wave

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 06/16/18 2:57pm

42Kristen

wall

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 06/16/18 3:53pm

coldasice

jstar69 said:

Wow - will Sony release something to compete with the WB release. Strategically speaking, it’s highly likely!!!
[Edited 6/15/18 15:58pm]

No way. After the Jay Z compiled album it will be a while. They’re not gonna flood the market.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 06/16/18 4:40pm

Marrk

avatar

leecaldon said:

Revolution18 said:

This is terrible news. I hope I am wrong but after what Sony did to the Michael Jackson releases I don't hold much hope. Here some info for those who don't no. First MJ release was a greatest hits from "This Is It" this had one new song and album versions of hits with the also the movie. (That actually was decent) The next album was "Michael" 3 of the ten tracks were sung by an impersonater and not Michael the other 7 songs were produced ok but none of the songs were fully the way Michael left them. Then there was immortal a remix album for cirque. This would of been better if they had got the actual producers who worked on the music to make this remix album just like they got George Martin and his son to remix The Beatles for the "Love Album" Then we got Xscape which was remixed by Timberland. That was ok but I don't like the thought of anybody touching Prince's music let alone making songs into duets that didn't happen like they did with Michael and Justin Timberlake. Then the latest release has been another greatest hits. Sorry for the rant but I really don't hold much faith in Sony.

Excuse me?

'Breaking News' and 'Monster' are not MJ on vocals. Can't remember the other fake song as it's years since i bothered with it. I'm not exactly happy Sony got latter Prince. I question their integrity. Duets with Justin Timberlake anyone?

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 06/16/18 5:03pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

Marrk said:

leecaldon said:

Excuse me?

'Breaking News' and 'Monster' are not MJ on vocals. Can't remember the other fake song as it's years since i bothered with it. I'm not exactly happy Sony got latter Prince. I question their integrity. Duets with Justin Timberlake anyone?

Oh please NO!!!!!!! hmph!

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 06/17/18 5:50am

RODSERLING

Marrk said:



leecaldon said:




Revolution18 said:


This is terrible news. I hope I am wrong but after what Sony did to the Michael Jackson releases I don't hold much hope. Here some info for those who don't no. First MJ release was a greatest hits from "This Is It" this had one new song and album versions of hits with the also the movie. (That actually was decent) The next album was "Michael" 3 of the ten tracks were sung by an impersonater and not Michael the other 7 songs were produced ok but none of the songs were fully the way Michael left them. Then there was immortal a remix album for cirque. This would of been better if they had got the actual producers who worked on the music to make this remix album just like they got George Martin and his son to remix The Beatles for the "Love Album" Then we got Xscape which was remixed by Timberland. That was ok but I don't like the thought of anybody touching Prince's music let alone making songs into duets that didn't happen like they did with Michael and Justin Timberlake. Then the latest release has been another greatest hits. Sorry for the rant but I really don't hold much faith in Sony.



Excuse me?




'Breaking News' and 'Monster' are not MJ on vocals. Can't remember the other fake song as it's years since i bothered with it. I'm not exactly happy Sony got latter Prince. I question their integrity. Duets with Justin Timberlake anyone?



Fuck it with MICHAEL, you know that crap wasn t aimed at the same audience than Prince post WB material.
.
They couldn t release the best songs for légal issues, and most of the vault has been stolen. This is not the case with Prince at all.
.
I have a question : if this deal is about post 1996 matérial, what about GOLD EXPERIENCE? This is the only album with Musicology that had Hits on it.
.
The best bet is that they Will release à greatest Hits package, but how could they if there is not TMBGITW?
.
They won t put the albums on streaming : Tidal has already the rights.
.
They won t release à live dvd, as the market is Dead. Maybe on streaming services?
.
They won t release à new album neither. HNR2 was released physically one week after his death and didn t make top 40 worldwide (!). I highly doubt that 3 years After his death, it would générate more interest.
.
In fact I m really wondering what could they release?
[Edited 6/17/18 5:52am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 06/17/18 6:14am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

Plenty of unreleased water in the well. MJ vox imposter??! LOL. Doctoring some unreleased trax.. This is Prince and he lived and breathed music.

Trump turns from 'humbling' grief to midterm fire and furry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 06/17/18 8:56am

databank

avatar

This is the typical example of a news that isn't news. OK, so they signed a deal. What else? No specifics, nothing regarding a releases plan or program, no nothing. This is the age of information, where no information becomes information. Did one half of the vault disappear when Thanos snapped his fingers?

Ring me up when they announce something.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 06/17/18 9:30am

Germanegro

databank said:

This is the typical example of a news that isn't news. OK, so they signed a deal. What else? No specifics, nothing regarding a releases plan or program, no nothing. This is the age of information, where no information becomes information. Did one half of the vault disappear when Thanos snapped his fingers?

Ring me up when they announce something.

lol LOL! Nice Marvel film culture reference!

>

I guess people need to "just chill" as Prince himself might say. It is good to hear that a new distribution alliance is formed so that when the time comes people will know where to look for what material comes next.

biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 06/17/18 11:34am

mediumdry

I am upset about this. Not because Michael Jackson was on Epic (which became Sony) or that George Michael was on Sony, or a whole host of other artists that they (mis)treated.

.

It is because it is one of the companies that I will never buy a product from. They are actively hostile to their consumers.

.

Any company that thinks it is ok to install malware on their customer's computers and that, when caught, will apologise with "removal" software that makes it worse is a company where I feel that the entire board and senior management group should be jailed. (or at least publically flogged)

.

I guess their releases will be the same for me as bootlegs. I will download them freely from whatever site or p2p channels I can find them on. (this is not stealing, simply copyright infringement) I will never spend money on anything that benefits Sony. They are evil. This is the equivalent of bringing a kebab, some steak and spare ribs when going to Paisley Park. It's just wrong.

.

Sony is the worst of the media groups out there. Oh well.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 06/17/18 12:47pm

poppys

I don't give a rat's ass if anyone does steal from Sony - or artists - that's on them. But calling it "simply copyright infringement" is hilarious. Prince would've loved that. If you're gonna steal, just be honest and call it stealing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Estate Strikes Deal With Sony Music (EXCLUSIVE)