independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 20th Aug 2018 4:34am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > post 80's releases
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/29/18 11:56am

luvsexy4all

post 80's releases

if u trim the fat off all his post 80's cds and make them 45minutes each ..wont they all be considered great albums ???

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/29/18 12:04pm

jasopig

No need to trim the so-called fat. They're all great albums.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/29/18 12:43pm

namepeace

"great" is highly subjective, but I could see how addition by subtraction would have helped several of his post-80's albums.


There were a few that needed no trimming, and maybe 1 or 2 where trimming would not have helped.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/29/18 12:45pm

luvsexy4all

namepeace said:

"great" is highly subjective, but I could see how addition by subtraction would have helped several of his post-80's albums.


There were a few that needed no trimming, and maybe 1 or 2 where trimming would not have helped.

do u agree they could be 45 minute great albums ..like his 80's whch were 30-45 minutes?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/29/18 12:57pm

namepeace

luvsexy4all said:

namepeace said:

"great" is highly subjective, but I could see how addition by subtraction would have helped several of his post-80's albums.


There were a few that needed no trimming, and maybe 1 or 2 where trimming would not have helped.

do u agree they could be 45 minute great albums ..like his 80's whch were 30-45 minutes?


I think some, like prince and Emancipation, could have been.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/29/18 1:32pm

LaurenceNoonan

yeahthat

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/29/18 1:44pm

darkroman

Prince had an amazing musical career over FIVE decades - please don't be stuck in the 80s!!!!

No apostrophe required.


neutral

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/29/18 2:33pm

herb4

avatar

Sometime around Emancipation, I started splicing albums together to get one good CD I liked that I could listen to from start to finish (or in Emancipation and Crystal Ball's case, trimming it down to one CD), leading to stuff in my collection like "New Power Come", "the Chocolate Slaughterhouse", "LotusSound" and "Hit&Runs" and "3121-10" so I'd say yes.

But I also liked the increased output and being able to pick and choose from so much, which was the great thing about Emacipation and Crystal Ball, like them or not. AoA, minus the opening track, was the last thing in some time that I could listen to from start to finish. Rainbow Children, Musicology and 3121 were fairly consistent at least (minus Wedding Feast) and your mileage varied depending on your taste.

I didn't care too much and got used to it (3 great songs, 4 or 5 OK ones, 2 or 3 turds) because I just wanted the volume and the quantity. Like, I could even mix in stuff like "Glass Cutter", "P.F.U.N.K" and other downloads and one offs into other albums and trim out the fat to my liking.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/29/18 3:23pm

Bluu

jasopig said:

No need to trim the so-called fat. They're all great albums.

Amen to that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/30/18 4:10am

databank

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

if u trim the fat off all his post 80's cds and make them 45minutes each ..wont they all be considered great albums ???

Many were actually LP length or only slightly longer. Prince didn't abuse the CD format that much.

On the other hand, if CD had been the main format in 1978, you can bet most of his 80's albums would have been 70 minutes long.

I don't think albums length has much to do with Prince's perceived artistic decline: his shorter records didn't get much more (or less) praise than his longer records.

Prince was in the zeitgeist in the 80's. No, never mind that, Prince was the zeitgeist in the 80's.

There isn't a thing he could possibly have done to maintain such a status his whole life.

Artistically speaking, his career as a whole remain quite extraordinary.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/30/18 5:39am

jaawwnn

avatar

We'd never agree on a tracklist. I have a 9 track version of Diamonds & Pearls that I pretty much exclusively listen to but i've seen other peoples similar tracklists and they're full of all the songs I left off!

There are few Prince albums post 1989 that I often listen to without wanting to skip a few tracks, Rainbow Children, Lotusflow3r and Art Official Age probably come closest though. Come and Gold Experience a bit as well but they're kind of messed up in terms of alternate versions that I think are better knocking around on bootlegs.

[Edited 5/30/18 5:41am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/30/18 6:03am

TheFman

Yeah, what if Emancipation would have been a single.. no, wait.


But yes, I'm all in favor of the 9-song approx 45 min vinyl format surely.

Imagine all the segues out of all Prince albums, a fresh breath! Next, all not-so-strong tracks overboard.
Indeed that would catapult a few albums into the great-category, but some would still remain poor even then imo.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/30/18 6:54am

rednblue

herb4 said:

Sometime around Emancipation, I started splicing albums together to get one good CD I liked that I could listen to from start to finish (or in Emancipation and Crystal Ball's case, trimming it down to one CD), leading to stuff in my collection like "New Power Come", "the Chocolate Slaughterhouse", "LotusSound" and "Hit&Runs" and "3121-10" so I'd say yes.

But I also liked the increased output and being able to pick and choose from so much, which was the great thing about Emacipation and Crystal Ball, like them or not. AoA, minus the opening track, was the last thing in some time that I could listen to from start to finish. Rainbow Children, Musicology and 3121 were fairly consistent at least (minus Wedding Feast) and your mileage varied depending on your taste.

I didn't care too much and got used to it (3 great songs, 4 or 5 OK ones, 2 or 3 turds) because I just wanted the volume and the quantity. Like, I could even mix in stuff like "Glass Cutter", "P.F.U.N.K" and other downloads and one offs into other albums and trim out the fat to my liking.



Me too. Plus, as jaawwnn points out, "We'd never agree on a tracklist."

To the OP, are there any songs on 80's albums that you'd like to sub out with a different song?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/30/18 8:35am

namepeace

herb4 said:

But I also liked the increased output and being able to pick and choose from so much, which was the great thing about Emacipation and Crystal Ball, like them or not. AoA, minus the opening track, was the last thing in some time that I could listen to from start to finish. Rainbow Children, Musicology and 3121 were fairly consistent at least (minus Wedding Feast) and your mileage varied depending on your taste.

I didn't care too much and got used to it (3 great songs, 4 or 5 OK ones, 2 or 3 turds) because I just wanted the volume and the quantity. Like, I could even mix in stuff like "Glass Cutter", "P.F.U.N.K" and other downloads and one offs into other albums and trim out the fat to my liking.


True, there was something to the "a la carte" approach, especially that stretch from the late 90's-early 00's, when the timing and number of releases was unpredictable. But you could always find outstanding songs ("moments") on every release, and blending the different releases together is probably closer to how Prince wanted his fans to contextualize his music.


Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/30/18 11:16am

luvsexy4all

my point was that he had great stuff post 80's ...where he has been ignored worldwide.. it seems

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/30/18 11:16am

luvsexy4all

darkroman said:

Prince had an amazing musical career over FIVE decades - please don't be stuck in the 80s!!!!

No apostrophe required.


neutral

im not stuck there..tryin to make people see they shouldnt either

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/30/18 11:32am

rusty1

jasopig said:

No need to trim the so-called fat. They're all great albums.


3121
Planet Earth
2010
AoA
Ok to below average albums
Not everything he did was “great”
The symbol album...
The Gold Experience & Emancipation were
good..
Even The TRC had a nice live organic
sound..
I still think all of his great albums
are in the 80’s
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/30/18 12:44pm

rednblue


Like lots of what's been mentioned. Deliverance EP also comes to mind.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/30/18 12:46pm

rednblue

luvsexy4all said:

my point was that he had great stuff post 80's ...where he has been ignored worldwide.. it seems


YES. Great stuff!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/30/18 1:01pm

namepeace

luvsexy4all said:

darkroman said:

Prince had an amazing musical career over FIVE decades - please don't be stuck in the 80s!!!!

No apostrophe required.


neutral

im not stuck there..tryin to make people see they shouldnt either


(Proper) grammar policing aside, nobody here is, or should be, stuck in the 1980s.

Thinking the 80s is his best era is not the same is thinking that the 80s is his only good era.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/30/18 2:36pm

herb4

avatar

namepeace said:

herb4 said:

But I also liked the increased output and being able to pick and choose from so much, which was the great thing about Emacipation and Crystal Ball, like them or not. AoA, minus the opening track, was the last thing in some time that I could listen to from start to finish. Rainbow Children, Musicology and 3121 were fairly consistent at least (minus Wedding Feast) and your mileage varied depending on your taste.

I didn't care too much and got used to it (3 great songs, 4 or 5 OK ones, 2 or 3 turds) because I just wanted the volume and the quantity. Like, I could even mix in stuff like "Glass Cutter", "P.F.U.N.K" and other downloads and one offs into other albums and trim out the fat to my liking.


True, there was something to the "a la carte" approach, especially that stretch from the late 90's-early 00's, when the timing and number of releases was unpredictable. But you could always find outstanding songs ("moments") on every release, and blending the different releases together is probably closer to how Prince wanted his fans to contextualize his music.



I LOVED the "a la carte: approach after the name change. It was like eating at a tapas restaurant.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/30/18 5:49pm

hhhhdmt

Good thread, i do agree a lot of them would be considered great albums

Graffiti Bridge and Diamonds & Pearls should be one record. Cut down the crap.

If i were to combine those:

Joy in Repitition

Thieves in the temple

The Question of U

Diamonds and Pearls

Money Don't Matter 2night

Cream

Gett Off

Throw in a few others and you have one of his best records.

Emancipation, i would cut down to a dozen songs. I know some people will disagree with which songs should make it, but i am sure we can come up with a general consensous.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/30/18 7:22pm

CAL3

luvsexy4all said:

if u trim the fat off all his post 80's cds and make them 45minutes each ..wont they all be considered great albums ???


.
Are you shitting me??
.
All??
.
All great???
.
Please. Once you cut the fat off MUSICOLOGY you’re left with ONE song!
.
One song does not a great album make.
.
And that’s just ONE example.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/30/18 9:11pm

databank

avatar

CAL3 said:

luvsexy4all said:

if u trim the fat off all his post 80's cds and make them 45minutes each ..wont they all be considered great albums ???

. Are you shitting me?? . All?? . All great??? . Please. Once you cut the fat off MUSICOLOGY you’re left with ONE song! . One song does not a great album make. . And that’s just ONE example.

Please don't troll like that rolleyes

Making exaggerated, extravagant statements like that calls for outraged replies and ends-up in flaming. That's trolling.

You can, instead, state your opinion about Musicology in a reasonable manner.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/31/18 12:10am

ForceofNature

CAL3 said:

luvsexy4all said:

if u trim the fat off all his post 80's cds and make them 45minutes each ..wont they all be considered great albums ???

. Are you shitting me?? . All?? . All great??? . Please. Once you cut the fat off MUSICOLOGY you’re left with ONE song! . One song does not a great album make. . And that’s just ONE example.

It is like... opinions are subjective and people like different things! What a concept.......

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/31/18 2:05pm

luvsexy4all

CAL3 said:

luvsexy4all said:

if u trim the fat off all his post 80's cds and make them 45minutes each ..wont they all be considered great albums ???

. Are you shitting me?? . All?? . All great??? . Please. Once you cut the fat off MUSICOLOGY you’re left with ONE song! . One song does not a great album make. . And that’s just ONE example.

u not a fan....take out ...life of the party / marrying kind /if eye your man / cinamon girl and u have a great album

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/01/18 12:53am

Rebeljuice

If you're asking this question from a purely sales point of view then I would say yes. If he trimmed some of the releases down he may have sold more. Like it or not, under WB the cream rose to the top and got released. There are many good outtakes that could have bloated out many of his WB releases, but they would have probably hurt sales. I would even say that 1999 would have sold more if it was trimmed down. Certainly if some of the longer songs were edited down somewhat*

I mean, would PR have sold as many copies as it did if it was an hour long with extra songs? I don't think it would. the fact that it is short and only has 9 songs is what makes it so brilliant. After first listen you are left wanting more and that, I guess, was the secret. The long albums and the very long albums, after a complete listening session a fatigue can set in and the desire to go straight back to listening to it all again isn't there*.

Forget trimming Emancipation down to one CD. Trim it down to 9 songs and only 40 minutes.

*I'm talking from a casual listner point of view, not an uber fan's obsessive need to hear more and more.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/01/18 6:25am

controversy99

avatar

The way to do it is to split each one album into two albums or perhaps take two and make it into three. One would be the “pop” album, and the other would be “experimental” Pop in this context includes R&B, rock, and funk as long as it has some solid poppy hooks or aspects.

This way we still get to hear all the music while also getting some more accessible albums.
"Love & honesty, peace & harmony"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/01/18 8:41am

namepeace

luvsexy4all said:

CAL3 said:

luvsexy4all said: . Are you shitting me?? . All?? . All great??? . Please. Once you cut the fat off MUSICOLOGY you’re left with ONE song! . One song does not a great album make. . And that’s just ONE example.

u not a fan....take out ...life of the party / marrying kind /if eye your man / cinamon girl and u have a great album


That's a little harsh don'tcha think?

For my twocents, reasonable minds can disagree on this one. On the whole, Musicology is a good album. But I don't know whether any editing would make it a "great" album by Prince standards.

We agree if you take a few songs off it would be a better album but we disagree on the songs that need to go. I'd let "A Million Days" and "On the Couch" go before "Marrying Kind" and "Man in Ur Life."


Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/01/18 2:28pm

controversy99

avatar

namepeace said:



luvsexy4all said:




CAL3 said:


luvsexy4all said: . Are you shitting me?? . All?? . All great??? . Please. Once you cut the fat off MUSICOLOGY you’re left with ONE song! . One song does not a great album make. . And that’s just ONE example.

u not a fan....take out ...life of the party / marrying kind /if eye your man / cinamon girl and u have a great album




That's a little harsh don'tcha think?

For my twocents, reasonable minds can disagree on this one. On the whole, Musicology is a good album. But I don't know whether any editing would make it a "great" album by Prince standards.

We agree if you take a few songs off it would be a better album but we disagree on the songs that need to go. I'd let "A Million Days" and "On the Couch" go before "Marrying Kind" and "Man in Ur Life."



This is how things become so difficult/funny. One of my favorite parts of the album is the Marrying Kind to If Eye Was the Man in Ur Life to On the Couch. So many great lyrics, great drums by John Blackwell, and overal good tunes.
.
“She’s going to need a pillow case, something to put those tears on,
And I have got some purple satin laces, one second later in the second you’re gone.“
“Now you got the triflin barracuda hangin round, hanging around your neck like a cheap gold chain”
“I wanna go dooowwwnnn sooouuutthh”
.
How can you not like that?
"Love & honesty, peace & harmony"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > post 80's releases