independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 19th Nov 2018 1:32pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Chris Rock's new Netflix special, Tamborine
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/14/18 12:08pm

NewYorkCity

Chris Rock's new Netflix special, Tamborine

Prince's song plays as end credits. Pretty cool.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/14/18 12:41pm

XxAxX

avatar

i love his stuff. mr. rock rocks. thanks for the heads up

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/14/18 3:49pm

jdcxc

I was wondering if there is a Prince link based on what I read of the Rock subject matter (isolation, lonliness, masturbation) and the fact he is a huge P fan.

More royalties for the Estate! Lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/15/18 5:12pm

Marrk

avatar

NewYorkCity said:

Prince's song plays as end credits. Pretty cool.

I hate Netflix cutting end credits off though. This time the most.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/17/18 5:08am

ian

avatar

I like Chris Rock, it's a really funny show. But it felt weird as f*** hearing Prince's work used in this way.

He'd never have allowed it when he was alive. i know, we all sound like a broken record with that stuff, but it felt horrible. What's next, fucking beer commercials?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/17/18 7:26am

jdcxc

ian said:

I like Chris Rock, it's a really funny show. But it felt weird as f*** hearing Prince's work used in this way.



He'd never have allowed it when he was alive. i know, we all sound like a broken record with that stuff, but it felt horrible. What's next, fucking beer commercials?



Not sure about that...Prince loved standup comedy and Chris Rock. There is a big difference in using the collaborative art of music, film and video versus the crass $$$ of commercials. Prince has allowed his work in Spike Lee’s Girl 6, Happy Feat, Risky Business, etc.

I think the use of his movie in quality productions is inevitable.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/17/18 2:42pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

jdcxc said:

ian said:

I like Chris Rock, it's a really funny show. But it felt weird as f*** hearing Prince's work used in this way.

He'd never have allowed it when he was alive. i know, we all sound like a broken record with that stuff, but it felt horrible. What's next, fucking beer commercials?

Not sure about that...Prince loved standup comedy and Chris Rock. There is a big difference in using the collaborative art of music, film and video versus the crass $$$ of commercials. Prince has allowed his work in Spike Lee’s Girl 6, Happy Feat, Risky Business, etc. I think the use of his movie in quality productions is inevitable.


On one hand, he might very well let Rock use it because they were friends and admired each other. On the other hand he might not because of objections to language used in the performance. But, if he said no to Chris, it would not be because of commercialism.

That said, going forward I expect to hear his music anywhere and everywhere, crass commercialism and all. I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been an abundance of it already to be honest.


We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/17/18 3:01pm

TheBigBang

avatar

Marrk said:

NewYorkCity said:

Prince's song plays as end credits. Pretty cool.

I hate Netflix cutting end credits off though. This time the most.

You know that you have to ability to click on the credits and watch all of them, right?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/17/18 4:48pm

Germanegro

I just saw the show. It made me laugh; I thought Chris was speaking the truth--his own, at least--and it made me think about the things that we do. Chris was both Prince's friend and a fan. I thought that his use of Prince's "Tamborine" as the outro was perfect. I'm sure that he paid fully for the rights to usage, too (unlike a Spotify streaming service, fa' instance)!

wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/17/18 7:06pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

Just watched it. It was good. It was funny. Not up there with some of his cliassics from when he was in his prime but solid material from a master of his craft. Whether Prince would approve or not, his song over the credits was PERFECT.

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/17/18 7:23pm

purplerabbitho
le

I noticed that both he and Chappelle are starting to be more open about their own flaws and insecurities in their standup (maybe it is subsciously connected to Prince dying after being fearful of revealing his own vulnerabilities and needs for help) . I really respect that. Tambourine was a great choice for song and for metaphor.

djThunderfunk said:

Just watched it. It was good. It was funny. Not up there with some of his cliassics from when he was in his prime but solid material from a master of his craft. Whether Prince would approve or not, his song over the credits was PERFECT.

[Edited 2/17/18 19:24pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/18/18 9:14am

laurarichardso
n

djThunderfunk said:



jdcxc said:


ian said:

I like Chris Rock, it's a really funny show. But it felt weird as f*** hearing Prince's work used in this way.



He'd never have allowed it when he was alive. i know, we all sound like a broken record with that stuff, but it felt horrible. What's next, fucking beer commercials?



Not sure about that...Prince loved standup comedy and Chris Rock. There is a big difference in using the collaborative art of music, film and video versus the crass $$$ of commercials. Prince has allowed his work in Spike Lee’s Girl 6, Happy Feat, Risky Business, etc. I think the use of his movie in quality productions is inevitable.


On one hand, he might very well let Rock use it because they were friends and admired each other. On the other hand he might not because of objections to language used in the performance. But, if he said no to Chris, it would not be because of commercialism.

That said, going forward I expect to hear his music anywhere and everywhere, crass commercialism and all. I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been an abundance of it already to be honest.



Some of his songs have been on Musik for years. I think Prince knew how much money he make licensing out the songs and just wanted to find the right place to put them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/18/18 9:15am

laurarichardso
n

Chris has talked about that being divorced and in his 50s. How guys can go down hill without family around at that age.

said:

I noticed that both he and Chappelle are starting to be more open about their own flaws and insecurities in their standup (maybe it is subsciously connected to Prince dying after being fearful of revealing his own vulnerabilities and needs for help) . I really respect that. Tambourine was a great choice for song and for metaphor.





djThunderfunk said:


Just watched it. It was good. It was funny. Not up there with some of his cliassics from when he was in his prime but solid material from a master of his craft. Whether Prince would approve or not, his song over the credits was PERFECT.



[Edited 2/17/18 19:24pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Chris Rock's new Netflix special, Tamborine