independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 22nd Sep 2018 1:47am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Your favourite purple rain guitar solo performace
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/04/18 4:51pm

lonelyalien

Your favourite purple rain guitar solo performace

I love the one he did in tokyo not sure which year it was (with the white shirt) the phrasing is just immaculate far better than the studio release every note is just played so sweetly.

I'm just like everybody else I need love.....and water.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/04/18 4:55pm

PRNelson

Livesexy or the Milan performance

He looks possessed by music during the livesexy rendition.
You'll never know a girl called Nikki and you'll never find Erotic City
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/04/18 8:51pm

sonshine

avatar

The Milan performance is exceptional. My fave is probably the dance theater benefit show at First Av.
It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/05/18 2:28am

antonb

Milan, is probably my favourite. You could pick a few. I like the piano one also, from Australia. Can't remember if it was Sidney or Auckland.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/05/18 2:47am

67Cadillac

Milan 2010

Chicago 2012

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/05/18 7:29am

Genesia

avatar

AMAs, 1985. Duh.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/05/18 1:25pm

Funklov

Although its an obvious one, I have never heard a more soulful, passionate solo than the one from Syracuse Live 85. He put more emotion into it that tour when it was a new song but he also took it to another level when he it was being recorded and broadcast.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/05/18 7:25pm

IstenSzek

avatar

yeah, the milan one. the whole thing is beautiful. but the solo is superb. guitar


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/05/18 8:07pm

databank

avatar

The performace windu is the best!

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/05/18 10:10pm

mynameisnotsus
an

May 28 1992 - Ahoy Rotterdam is my fave

Also Sydney aftershow Oct 2003 was pretty amazing
[Edited 1/5/18 22:12pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/05/18 10:46pm

206Michelle

It's hard to pinpoint a favourite, but I love the PR solos at the 1985 AMAs and the Super Bowl halftime show in 2007.

Live 4 Love ~ Love is God, God is love, Girls and boys love God above
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/06/18 3:14am

thecloud

Good One...Arsenio 1991 Syracuse 1985

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/08/18 11:58am

namepeace

The Fox Theatre, Atlanta, March 1993.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/09/18 1:33pm

bluefish

avatar

Funklov said:

Although its an obvious one, I have never heard a more soulful, passionate solo than the one from Syracuse Live 85. He put more emotion into it that tour when it was a new song but he also took it to another level when he it was being recorded and broadcast.

nod

‎PRINCE: 1958 - infinity
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/09/18 3:17pm

FunkyStrange

avatar

206Michelle said:

It's hard to pinpoint a favourite, but I love the PR solos at the 1985 AMAs and the Super Bowl halftime show in 2007.



Huh ? You can barely even hear his guitar on the superbowl version ?!?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/09/18 3:38pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

I guess it has to be the Forum, I think it was the April 14, 2011 performance. I can't tell you if it's the best solo he ever did but it's my favorite. Why?

Because after he was done, you can hear a girl say, "I can die now. I'm ready".

Not sure you can top that when it comes to audience reactions!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/09/18 3:39pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

P.S.: This thread is about YOUR favorite performance. All you knuckleheads who think YOUR favorite performance is better than someone's favorite performance, or that someone else's favorite performance isn't all that great, well you are all...knuckleheads.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/09/18 4:10pm

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

Milan. And one of the other things that makes it remarkable, aside from it being a passionate, and heartfelt performance, was the fact he had been playing the song for 27 years at that point, and still had so much to give.

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/09/18 4:23pm

Dibblekins

Milan 2010, no doubt about it...I just LOVE the change he makes to the melody, and I love that he loves it too!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/09/18 4:31pm

Dibblekins

I should also say that a close second for me is the very first performance of it at First Avenue...I very much enjoy the written video commentary made by one ardent fan, where he / she indicates all the changes / cuts made from the original to the one that was finally released. It really is fascinating viewing, and great to see the masterpiece unfolding before our eyes!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/09/18 5:06pm

lonelyalien

Just seen the milan 2010 still prefer the tokyo performance.

I'm just like everybody else I need love.....and water.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/10/18 12:32am

mynameisnotsus
an

RodeoSchro said:

I guess it has to be the Forum, I think it was the April 14, 2011 performance. I can't tell you if it's the best solo he ever did but it's my favorite. Why?

Because after he was done, you can hear a girl say, "I can die now. I'm ready".

Not sure you can top that when it comes to audience reactions!



After seeing Sydney aftershow in 2003 I remember saying 'I can die happy now!' Couldn't stop smiling for months biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/10/18 12:34am

mynameisnotsus
an

Dibblekins said:

I should also say that a close second for me is the very first performance of it at First Avenue...I very much enjoy the written video commentary made by one ardent fan, where he / she indicates all the changes / cuts made from the original to the one that was finally released. It really is fascinating viewing, and great to see the masterpiece unfolding before our eyes!



Yeah it's mesmerising
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/10/18 8:45am

RodeoSchro

avatar

mynameisnotsusan said:

RodeoSchro said:

I guess it has to be the Forum, I think it was the April 14, 2011 performance. I can't tell you if it's the best solo he ever did but it's my favorite. Why?

Because after he was done, you can hear a girl say, "I can die now. I'm ready".

Not sure you can top that when it comes to audience reactions!

After seeing Sydney aftershow in 2003 I remember saying 'I can die happy now!' Couldn't stop smiling for months biggrin



highfive Awesome!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/10/18 11:09am

67Cadillac

Just a couple I listened to recently that caught my ear:

Tokyo 2002

San Jose 2004 (night 2)

Montreux 2009 (night 2)

Milan 2010

Rome 2010 (the 20Ten tour was a very good year for "PR"in general)

MSG 2011

L.A. Forum 2011 (opening night)

Chicago 2012 (night 2)

I'm interested in hearing a version pointed out to me from Toronto in 2015, since I've yet to hear a full band "PR" I enjoyed post 2012.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Your favourite purple rain guitar solo performace