independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 11th Dec 2017 11:03am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince mention on the Grammys TV special
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/26/17 12:26am

dance4me3121

Prince mention on the Grammys TV special

I'm a little late but CBS aired a "Grammys Performances documentary" this past Thursday night.It talked about the most memorable performances and moments of the past 50 years.Prince was mentioned quite a few times.Bruno mars tribute performance of "Let's go crazy" was talked about.Bruno said he was asked to do the Prince tribute but he didn't want to do it.it took Bruno a few times to agree to do it.Bruno has great admiration for Prince. Then he said Prince has a very great catalog of music.
The Beyonce and Prince performance was mentioned.Alicia keys was interviewed and she said she wishes that they would've asked her to participate in that performance.
U2 were shown winning the album of the year award for 1987.Bono was interviewed and they showed footage of the award being presented.It showed Michael Jackson watching the monitor to see if he was gonna win then it showed Prince in the audience smiling when his nomination for "Sign of the Times" was announced.Prince was already in his "Lovesexy" look.U2 were announced as the winners and Bono mentioned that "Sign of the Times" could've easily won.
Just thought I would share this
[Edited 11/26/17 0:28am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/26/17 7:34am

littlemissG

avatar

Sign of the Times should have won. I believe the Academy gave Prince a Grammy for Betcha Golly WOW out of the guilt. He was robbed!
No More Haters on the Internet.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/26/17 10:06am

Militant

avatar

moderator

Sign O' The Times remains far more important and influential than The Joshua Tree. In fact, some within the modern neosoul movement credit "The Ballad of Dorothy Parker" alone for being the start of that genre.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/26/17 6:31pm

206Michelle

Militant said:

Sign O' The Times remains far more important and influential than The Joshua Tree. In fact, some within the modern neosoul movement credit "The Ballad of Dorothy Parker" alone for being the start of that genre.


Militant, to piggyback off of your last sentence, I wonder if Erykah Badu performed “The Ballad of Dorothy Parker” at the BET tribute in July 2016 as a way of honouring Prince’s contribution to the neo-soul genre.
Live 4 Love ~ Love is God, God is love, Girls and boys love God above
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/27/17 6:49am

jaawwnn

avatar

Militant said:

Sign O' The Times remains far more important and influential than The Joshua Tree. In fact, some within the modern neosoul movement credit "The Ballad of Dorothy Parker" alone for being the start of that genre.

Ok, this is me being a bit snippy here but it really irks me when somone calls something "more important" than something else. These are just personal opinions and who are we to say what is and isnt important to someone's life, eh?

Having said that, there's no denying that a lot of good music has used Sign O the Times as a springboard to go somewhere else while The Joshua Tree was so fully formed that anything that came after it just sounds like a weaker version; it's a bit of a dead end, albeit a magnificent one. U2 recognised this by following it with Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby rather than writing Joshua Tree 2, actually sounds like a familiar path followed by a certain Purple Rain star after his own career-defining moment.


I do prefer Sign O The Times though, lets not go crazy here.

[Edited 11/27/17 7:05am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/28/17 4:56am

khemseraph

littlemissG said:

Sign of the Times should have won. I believe the Academy gave Prince a Grammy for Betcha Golly WOW out of the guilt. He was robbed!

Prince didnt sin a Grammy for that
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/29/17 1:45pm

AnnaSantana

littlemissG said:

Sign of the Times should have won. I believe the Academy gave Prince a Grammy for Betcha Golly WOW out of the guilt. He was robbed!

He was robbed for "Purple Rain" too. Ain't in way in hell "Can't Slow Down" should've won over that album. It was political.
FUCK DONALD TRUMP
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/29/17 2:54pm

dance4me3121

AnnaSantana said:

littlemissG said:

Sign of the Times should have won. I believe the Academy gave Prince a Grammy for Betcha Golly WOW out of the guilt. He was robbed!

He was robbed for "Purple Rain" too. Ain't in way in hell "Can't Slow Down" should've won over that album. It was political.

I've never even heard of "Can't slow down". Who's album is that?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/30/17 12:06pm

Raajput

dance4me3121 said:

AnnaSantana said:
He was robbed for "Purple Rain" too. Ain't in way in hell "Can't Slow Down" should've won over that album. It was political.
I've never even heard of "Can't slow down". Who's album is that?

Lionel Ritchie I believe!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/30/17 2:09pm

dance4me3121

Raajput said:



dance4me3121 said:


AnnaSantana said:
He was robbed for "Purple Rain" too. Ain't in way in hell "Can't Slow Down" should've won over that album. It was political.

I've never even heard of "Can't slow down". Who's album is that?

Lionel Ritchie I believe!


Oh ok.before my time .I never got into Lionel Ritchie music
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/06/17 3:29pm

jdcxc

dance4me3121 said:

I'm a little late but CBS aired a "Grammys Performances documentary" this past Thursday night.It talked about the most memorable performances and moments of the past 50 years.Prince was mentioned quite a few times.Bruno mars tribute performance of "Let's go crazy" was talked about.Bruno said he was asked to do the Prince tribute but he didn't want to do it.it took Bruno a few times to agree to do it.Bruno has great admiration for Prince. Then he said Prince has a very great catalog of music.
The Beyonce and Prince performance was mentioned.Alicia keys was interviewed and she said she wishes that they would've asked her to participate in that performance.
U2 were shown winning the album of the year award for 1987.Bono was interviewed and they showed footage of the award being presented.It showed Michael Jackson watching the monitor to see if he was gonna win then it showed Prince in the audience smiling when his nomination for "Sign of the Times" was announced.Prince was already in his "Lovesexy" look.U2 were announced as the winners and Bono mentioned that "Sign of the Times" could've easily won.
Just thought I would share this
[Edited 11/26/17 0:28am]


Prince would later mock U2 and their patronizing acceptance speech.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/06/17 3:41pm

dance4me3121

jdcxc said:

dance4me3121 said:

I'm a little late but CBS aired a "Grammys Performances documentary" this past Thursday night.It talked about the most memorable performances and moments of the past 50 years.Prince was mentioned quite a few times.Bruno mars tribute performance of "Let's go crazy" was talked about.Bruno said he was asked to do the Prince tribute but he didn't want to do it.it took Bruno a few times to agree to do it.Bruno has great admiration for Prince. Then he said Prince has a very great catalog of music.
The Beyonce and Prince performance was mentioned.Alicia keys was interviewed and she said she wishes that they would've asked her to participate in that performance.
U2 were shown winning the album of the year award for 1987.Bono was interviewed and they showed footage of the award being presented.It showed Michael Jackson watching the monitor to see if he was gonna win then it showed Prince in the audience smiling when his nomination for "Sign of the Times" was announced.Prince was already in his "Lovesexy" look.U2 were announced as the winners and Bono mentioned that "Sign of the Times" could've easily won.
Just thought I would share this
[Edited 11/26/17 0:28am]


Prince would later mock U2 and their patronizing acceptance speech.


What did Prince say?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/06/17 4:41pm

thedance

avatar

Prince did say something like: "I can play every the songs made by U2"

however I am sure they are unable to play a song like Housequake"*

(great and Prince is 100% right, and also Prince should have won, SOTT is much better than The Joshuea Tree, even I do like both albums..)

(*.... Not the exact words, by memory, so.. please, correct this someone - in case its a little in-accurate)

Prince 4Ever. heart
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/06/17 7:00pm

jdcxc

dance4me3121 said:

jdcxc said:



Prince would later mock U2 and their patronizing acceptance speech.


What did Prince say?


"'I don't go to awards shows anymore," he says. "I'm not saying I'm better than anybody else. But you'll be sitting there at the Grammys, and U2 will beat you. And you say to yourself, 'Wait a minute. I can play that kind of music, too. I played La Crosse [Wisconsin] growing up, I know how to do that, you dig? But you will not do 'Housequake.' "

During the U2 Grammy acceptance speech, Bono stated that Prince was more than a “Song and Dance Man” which rubbed fans like me the wrong way.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/07/17 12:33am

thedance

avatar

^ you are very exact, thanks a lot.. cool... tanks for the complete quote.

I still find it "incredible" that the Joshua Tree could beat SOTT, my guess is Joshua just sold some more copies, could that be the reason..?

SOTT certainly have more styles and geres, is very much varied..

Joshua Tree is rock from start to the end, still excellent as well though.

Prince 4Ever. heart
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince mention on the Grammys TV special