independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 14th Dec 2017 4:50pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > why isn't there a Prince channel on Sirus/XM?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/07/17 5:25pm

macaylasdad

why isn't there a Prince channel on Sirus/XM?

Springsteen, Pearl Jam. The Dead, The Beatles all have channels... Prince has the albums, the associated artists, the live shows and has the vault... so why the hell can't we get a channel on satellite radio?!?! it would be amazing

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/07/17 6:36pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Ask Sirus

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/07/17 6:55pm

macaylasdad

i doubt they would listen to me...but since you're a "moderator" on a Prince fan website...you would probably have better luck than me... let me know how you make out...

luv4u said:

Ask Sirus

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/07/17 6:58pm

TrivialPursuit

macaylasdad said:

i doubt they would listen to me...but since you're a "moderator" on a Prince fan website...you would probably have better luck than me... let me know how you make out...


Just because someone's a moderator (not a "moderator") doesn't give them some power at Sirius XM. Change never happens when you delegate it to someone else. You want a Prince station? Write a letter, a good letter to Sirius XM. Something heartfelt, true, honest, and encouraging. If you're arrogant enough to command someone else to do something, you should really have no problem getting the station on Sirius XM. Best of luck, keep us posted.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/07/17 7:30pm

TXfan

I agree there should be a Prince channel too. We have put up with everybody else’s channels without even asking for them. Bruce Springsteen, Elvis, Tom Petty, and the Beatles to name a few. I didn’t ask for any of those or even all the commercials that they have figured out how to sneak in between. We should all email Sirus/XM and ask for a Prince Channel. They did a pretty good job right after his passing and this time they can play unreleased tracks, concerts, and other music that he liked and was influenced by during his career.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/07/17 7:41pm

macaylasdad

TrivialPursuit said:

macaylasdad said:

i doubt they would listen to me...but since you're a "moderator" on a Prince fan website...you would probably have better luck than me... let me know how you make out...


Just because someone's a moderator (not a "moderator") doesn't give them some power at Sirius XM. Change never happens when you delegate it to someone else. You want a Prince station? Write a letter, a good letter to Sirius XM. Something heartfelt, true, honest, and encouraging. If you're arrogant enough to command someone else to do something, you should really have no problem getting the station on Sirius XM. Best of luck, keep us posted.

ahh Trivy....still the same I see... i believe he asked me 1st....right?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/07/17 8:14pm

laurarichardso
n

TrivialPursuit said:



macaylasdad said:


i doubt they would listen to me...but since you're a "moderator" on a Prince fan website...you would probably have better luck than me... let me know how you make out...







Just because someone's a moderator (not a "moderator") doesn't give them some power at Sirius XM. Change never happens when you delegate it to someone else. You want a Prince station? Write a letter, a good letter to Sirius XM. Something heartfelt, true, honest, and encouraging. If you're arrogant enough to command someone else to do something, you should really have no problem getting the station on Sirius XM. Best of luck, keep us posted.


--- The President of Sirius XM was contacted and said no. So your can relax.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/07/17 8:43pm

AnnaStesia10

avatar

I have Sirius and signed the petition last year for the Prince channel. I didn't follow up to see what's up but LR said the Pres isn't into it. I am most likely gonna cancel it soon and I do plan on writing a letter stating I wouldn't leave if their was a Prince channel. I know it may not do a damn bit of good but I just wanna get my thoughts out there. A Prince channel on Sirius makes so much sense there is so much material obviously and also from his proteges and side projects. If this ever happens I would never leave Sirius.
"A strong spirit transcends rules." - Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/07/17 8:56pm

TrivialPursuit

macaylasdad said:

ahh Trivy....still the same I see... i believe he asked me 1st....right?




He who? Asked you what? Oh, never mind.




"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/08/17 1:06am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

AnnaStesia10 said:

I have Sirius and signed the petition last year for the Prince channel.

.

You lot and your pointles petitions that are signed by five people. Hilarious. Also, "their" and "there" are completely different words.

.

[Edited 10/8/17 1:07am]

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/08/17 4:43am

rogifan

A lot of these artist specific channels have/had input from the artist themselves. Who would oversee this channel and what music would they be allowed to play? Just WB titles? His whole catalog? Live tracks? Stuff from the vault? Non-Prince music by associates or other artists he liked?
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/08/17 7:42am

AnnaStesia10

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:



AnnaStesia10 said:


I have Sirius and signed the petition last year for the Prince channel.

.


You lot and your pointles petitions that are signed by five people. Hilarious. Also, "their" and "there" are completely different words.


.

[Edited 10/8/17 1:07am]



[Snip - luv4u]
"A strong spirit transcends rules." - Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/08/17 9:39am

itsjustaroundt
hecorner

I love having Sirius but I am so frustrated that there isn't a Prince Channel.

It either has to do with their demographic or the taste of the executives/decision makers.

But it is all classic rock white guys! Billy Joel, Beatles, Tom Petty, Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, Jimmy Buffet, Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen... COME ON!

There are no female artists, no RnB artists, no Dance artists with their own channel.

It drives me nuts.. don't get me wrong.. I like those channels... but there is no variety and it frustrates me to no end. And if ANYONE deserves his own channel - it is Prince!

But they may have some legitimate reasons ... maybe they have found that these types of channels get the most listeners/subscribers etc.. who knows..

Howard Stern did say that the founder of Sirius had Tom Petty play at his birthday party.. so there may be some bias for his own personal taste deep in there somewhere too.

Still annoying.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/08/17 10:04am

Genesia

avatar

rogifan said:

A lot of these artist specific channels have/had input from the artist themselves. Who would oversee this channel and what music would they be allowed to play? Just WB titles? His whole catalog? Live tracks? Stuff from the vault? Non-Prince music by associates or other artists he liked?


Exactly. It takes a tremendous amount of work to run one of these "artist channels" - work that is usually done by the artists or their families. My favorite is Siriusly Sinatra, which is run by the Sinatra family/estate. Their programming is really exceptional.

If there were to be a Prince channel, someone would have to run it - someone good. If it were someone in the family, they would need to work with a radio professional on the programming. There are a lot of rights issues, obviously - and that's probably the least of it.

People who've never worked in radio (I have, BTW) always think there's just nothing to doing something like this. Sign a petition, get your way and tune in. It's a lot more complicated than that.

I mean if he did have sex he would break every rule Jehova's have regarding premarital sex so Prince is really just friends with them all anyway.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/08/17 10:49am

laurarichardso
n

BartVanHemelen said:



AnnaStesia10 said:


I have Sirius and signed the petition last year for the Prince channel.

.


You lot and your pointles petitions that are signed by five people. Hilarious. Also, "their" and "there" are completely different words.


.

[Edited 10/8/17 1:07am]


Sirius is not going to do it. More then five people signed it or the President would have not bothered to respond. You do not know everything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/08/17 10:50am

laurarichardso
n

Genesia said:



rogifan said:


A lot of these artist specific channels have/had input from the artist themselves. Who would oversee this channel and what music would they be allowed to play? Just WB titles? His whole catalog? Live tracks? Stuff from the vault? Non-Prince music by associates or other artists he liked?


Exactly. It takes a tremendous amount of work to run one of these "artist channels" - work that is usually done by the artists or their families. My favorite is Siriusly Sinatra, which is run by the Sinatra family/estate. Their programming is really exceptional.



If there were to be a Prince channel, someone would have to run it - someone good. If it were someone in the family, they would need to work with a radio professional on the programming. There are a lot of rights issues, obviously - and that's probably the least of it.

People who've never worked in radio (I have, BTW) always think there's just nothing to doing something like this. Sign a petition, get your way and tune in. It's a lot more complicated than that.


--They had no problem playing his music after he passed. It is just more disrespect.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/08/17 11:37am

macaylasdad

TrivialPursuit said:

macaylasdad said:

ahh Trivy....still the same I see... i believe he asked me 1st....right?




He who? Asked you what? Oh, never mind.




look at the 1st posted comment and go from there... Sorry...I don't get the Striesand/Melinda picture... oh well...nevermind... wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/08/17 3:18pm

bsprout

I would love a Prince channel on Sirius. Until then, I listen to NewPower Radio

[url] http://dj506.ddns.net:197...sid=1[url] music
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 10/08/17 10:40pm

TXfan

Do all the commercials on SiriusXM bother anyone else? It’s the main reason I would cancel after my trial period. We can honestly say we tried to have a Prince Channel on SiriusXM. I too signed the petition and wrote an email to the head honcho. I understand it’s difficult with his music being with different labels, the estate, and such to sort out what would be played, also choosing a team to do the show is another hurdle. I listen to the Elvis channel and it’s nice that it’s done at Graceland. It has special guest, band members, etc. with stories of Elvis and what it was like working with him. They play multiple takes of songs along with the stories behind the sessions. That channel is on because of the Love and appreciation from all his fans for his music. This all could be done with a Prince Channel. This could make Paisley Park more popular and increase attendance ( and $$$ ) for the business. It’s probably still too soon to sort this out but hopefully it will come to be.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 10/08/17 10:57pm

TrivialPursuit

macaylasdad said:



look at the 1st posted comment and go from there... Sorry...I don't get the Striesand/Melinda picture... oh well...nevermind... wink


Again, you should do your own work. Luv4u is female.


"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 10/09/17 4:56am

rogifan

laurarichardson said:

Genesia said:



rogifan said:


A lot of these artist specific channels have/had input from the artist themselves. Who would oversee this channel and what music would they be allowed to play? Just WB titles? His whole catalog? Live tracks? Stuff from the vault? Non-Prince music by associates or other artists he liked?


Exactly. It takes a tremendous amount of work to run one of these "artist channels" - work that is usually done by the artists or their families. My favorite is Siriusly Sinatra, which is run by the Sinatra family/estate. Their programming is really exceptional.



If there were to be a Prince channel, someone would have to run it - someone good. If it were someone in the family, they would need to work with a radio professional on the programming. There are a lot of rights issues, obviously - and that's probably the least of it.

People who've never worked in radio (I have, BTW) always think there's just nothing to doing something like this. Sign a petition, get your way and tune in. It's a lot more complicated than that.


--They had no problem playing his music after he passed. It is just more disrespect.

Of course what they did right after he passed wasn’t difficult, but these artist specific channels are about a lot more than just spinning the artists tunes. And all the questions I asked are relevant. This isn’t about disrespect. Sirius can’t just start up a Prince channel. They’d need approval from the estate and as we all know when it comes to music the Estate is still messy.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 10/09/17 7:18am

Genesia

avatar

TXfan said:

Do all the commercials on SiriusXM bother anyone else? It’s the main reason I would cancel after my trial period. We can honestly say we tried to have a Prince Channel on SiriusXM. I too signed the petition and wrote an email to the head honcho. I understand it’s difficult with his music being with different labels, the estate, and such to sort out what would be played, also choosing a team to do the show is another hurdle. I listen to the Elvis channel and it’s nice that it’s done at Graceland. It has special guest, band members, etc. with stories of Elvis and what it was like working with him. They play multiple takes of songs along with the stories behind the sessions. That channel is on because of the Love and appreciation from all his fans for his music. This all could be done with a Prince Channel. This could make Paisley Park more popular and increase attendance ( and $$$ ) for the business. It’s probably still too soon to sort this out but hopefully it will come to be.


Commercials? Huh? There aren't any commercials on the music channels I listen to. confuse

I mean if he did have sex he would break every rule Jehova's have regarding premarital sex so Prince is really just friends with them all anyway.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 10/09/17 9:34am

meagemini2

I too am perplexed why this hasn't happened. I have written (snail mail), emailed them many times and signed that pesky petition as well - but to no avail. Doesn't Elvis have a channel? It is probably run by the Graceland Estate - can't be that hard of a stretch at this point to add one for Prince. Perhaps it is still not 'legally' ok to do so since there still seems to be some challenge with rights/copyrights, etc. between the estate and reconrd company dealings. We can cross our fingers and hope that in the near future there may be one. But until then there are a few other channels -

https://www.radioking.com/radio/rainbow-children, http://funkatopia.com/fun...o/........

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 10/09/17 10:27am

RodeoSchro

avatar

You will not find the answer to your question from anyone on this website.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 10/09/17 11:45am

TrivialPursuit

RodeoSchro said:

You will not find the answer to your question from anyone on this website.


^^^ He speaks the truth.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 10/09/17 4:47pm

macaylasdad

TrivialPursuit said:

macaylasdad said:

look at the 1st posted comment and go from there... Sorry...I don't get the Striesand/Melinda picture... oh well...nevermind... wink


Again, you should do your own work. Luv4u is female.


sorry...how would I know, i don't troll profiles... but i guess with that said... what was the 1st comment from Luv4u(who is a female) on this post?

[Edited 10/9/17 16:48pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 10/10/17 4:19am

laurarichardso
n

macaylasdad said:

TrivialPursuit said:


Again, you should do your own work. Luv4u is female.


sorry...how would I know, i don't troll profiles... but i guess with that said... what was the 1st comment from Luv4u(who is a female) on this post?

[Edited 10/9/17 16:48pm]

The answer is because Sirus does not want to have one. A petition was sent and the answer was no.

Perhaps they do not think there would be enought interest.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 10/10/17 3:38pm

FunkyStrange

avatar

there is definitely enough music to fill the hours !!

[Edited 10/10/17 15:40pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 10/10/17 4:08pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

FunkyStrange said:

there is definitely enough music to fill the hours !!

[Edited 10/10/17 15:40pm]

I miss Orange Park Radio...

Find strength in that which remains...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 10/13/17 4:08am

Tonyfan14

itsjustaroundthecorner said:

I love having Sirius but I am so frustrated that there isn't a Prince Channel.



It either has to do with their demographic or the taste of the executives/decision makers.



But it is all classic rock white guys! Billy Joel, Beatles, Tom Petty, Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, Jimmy Buffet, Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen... COME ON!



There are no female artists, no RnB artists, no Dance artists with their own channel.



It drives me nuts.. don't get me wrong.. I like those channels... but there is no variety and it frustrates me to no end. And if ANYONE deserves his own channel - it is Prince!



But they may have some legitimate reasons ... maybe they have found that these types of channels get the most listeners/subscribers etc.. who knows..



Howard Stern did say that the founder of Sirius had Tom Petty play at his birthday party.. so there may be some bias for his own personal taste deep in there somewhere too.



Still annoying.


Are you telling me only reason for Petty radio cause Tom played a Birthday party?
Reason for petty radio Sirus had limited run several times, each time was extended. Love prince but really loved Tom heartbroken over his death. Miss you Tom. sad sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > why isn't there a Prince channel on Sirus/XM?