independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 19th Aug 2018 1:22am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > How come u don't call me anymore VS I love you but don't trust u anymore
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/30/17 5:37pm

dance4me3121

How come u don't call me anymore VS I love you but don't trust u anymore

Which song is better?
I would have to go with "I love u but don't trust u anymore"

Both of these songs are piano ballads and have Prince singing in falsetto.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/30/17 5:59pm

Cindy

I love you...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/30/17 6:16pm

anc282

Hands down: "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore."

Both songs are nice, though.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/30/17 6:19pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Cindy said:

I love you...

This.

Don't believe what you hear
Don't believe what you see...
I know that the tide is turning 'round
So don't let the bastards grind you down!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/30/17 6:45pm

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

I would say "ILYBDTUA" because of the emotional intensity in which he sang it with. He performed "HCYDCMA" more teasing and tauntingly, especially when he perfomed it in concert.

"Too bad for Hell...too good to let Heaven raise him."

He's Mine!
[youtube] https://youtu.be/zJhadIvu9QA [/youtube]

Always has been...always will be!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/30/17 7:01pm

Empress

anc282 said:

Hands down: "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore."

Both songs are nice, though.


This!
[Edited 7/30/17 19:02pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/30/17 7:12pm

rdhull

avatar

This is really up for debate?

And everytime I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it.. WELL CAN YA FEEL IT?!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/30/17 7:23pm

dance4me3121

rdhull said:

This is really up for debate?


Yeah why not? I wanted to see which one is favored more.there both equally great song to me
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/30/17 7:28pm

purplefam99

How come wins for me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/30/17 7:30pm

purplerabbitho
le

Didn't you know anything written in the 80's is better than anything written in the 90's??

I prefer How come you don't call me in terms of lyrics and humor. But I prefer I Love you in terms of singing (less pyrotechnics than HCYDCMA, but just more beautifully sung) and emotional content.

So I am going to set them at a tie.

dance4me3121 said:

rdhull said:

This is really up for debate?

Yeah why not? I wanted to see which one is favored more.there both equally great song to me

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/30/17 8:47pm

coldasice

Seriously?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/30/17 8:53pm

rdhull

avatar

lol

coldasice said:

Seriously?

And everytime I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it.. WELL CAN YA FEEL IT?!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/30/17 9:16pm

MoBettaBliss

Cindy said:

I love you...



stop it

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/30/17 9:16pm

MoBettaBliss

purplethunder3121 said:

Cindy said:

I love you...

This.



behave

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/30/17 9:17pm

MoBettaBliss

HatrinaHaterwitz said:

I would say "ILYBDTUA"



*giggle*... you nearly had me there for a minute

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/30/17 9:53pm

soladeo1

How Come is a nice song...

I Love U... is SEARING...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/30/17 10:02pm

dance4me3121

Cindy said:

I love you...

But u don't trust me anymore?
[Edited 7/30/17 22:02pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/30/17 11:20pm

fishwillbite

avatar

Oh lordy How Come U Don't Call Me every single time. Astonishing songwriting, powerful singing, you can feel the enthusiasm and excitement flying off the tape machine. There's a reason that it brought the house down live, and that it was a staple of his live show throughout his career, and that is because it is a great frickin song.

.

And there's a reason he didn't play I Love U live very often. It is a muted bit of fluff with crap lyrics. The music is very nice indeed but the vocal... I wish for our sakes, and particularly Ani DiFranco's, that he had found a more nuanced way of singing about a gay relationship. We know that he is capable of it.

PIPS! Eurgh...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/30/17 11:27pm

MoBettaBliss

soladeo1 said:

How Come is a nice song... I Love U... is SEARING...



go to your room

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/30/17 11:31pm

Germanegro

How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore, by loads and loads. mushy

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/31/17 12:17am

dance4me3121

fishwillbite said:

Oh lordy How Come U Don't Call Me every single time. Astonishing songwriting, powerful singing, you can feel the enthusiasm and excitement flying off the tape machine. There's a reason that it brought the house down live, and that it was a staple of his live show throughout his career, and that is because it is a great frickin song.


.


And there's a reason he didn't play I Love U live very often. It is a muted bit of fluff with crap lyrics. The music is very nice indeed but the vocal... I wish for our sakes, and particularly Ani DiFranco's, that he had found a more nuanced way of singing about a gay relationship. We know that he is capable of it.



He played it during the montroux shows in 2009.He really did that song justice when he performed it live.i think he didn't perform it often because it was too personal
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/31/17 1:35am

Toofunkyinhere

Tie

We're here, might as well get into it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/31/17 2:43am

MoBettaBliss

Toofunkyinhere said:

Tie



prankster

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/31/17 2:56am

jcurley

I like both but HCYDCMA seems to me more like a pastiche of a sound and lyrically about a situation that could be just general, the way Courtin Time is etc. I love you is a heart felt and seems like a reflection of a very personal situation.

So with that I prefer I Love You... but because of the reasons above Ive got to be in the mood.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/31/17 3:43am

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

MoBettaBliss said:

HatrinaHaterwitz said:

I would say "ILYBDTUA"



*giggle*... you nearly had me there for a minute

redface

"Too bad for Hell...too good to let Heaven raise him."

He's Mine!
[youtube] https://youtu.be/zJhadIvu9QA [/youtube]

Always has been...always will be!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/31/17 4:11am

fishwillbite

avatar

dance4me3121 said:

fishwillbite said:

Oh lordy How Come U Don't Call Me every single time. Astonishing songwriting, powerful singing, you can feel the enthusiasm and excitement flying off the tape machine. There's a reason that it brought the house down live, and that it was a staple of his live show throughout his career, and that is because it is a great frickin song.

.

And there's a reason he didn't play I Love U live very often. It is a muted bit of fluff with crap lyrics. The music is very nice indeed but the vocal... I wish for our sakes, and particularly Ani DiFranco's, that he had found a more nuanced way of singing about a gay relationship. We know that he is capable of it.

He played it during the montroux shows in 2009.He really did that song justice when he performed it live.i think he didn't perform it often because it was too personal

Hey Dance4Me, it's true I did enjoy the live version of I Love U much more than the recording. I'm not familiar with the personal story behind the song, can you elaborate?

PIPS! Eurgh...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/31/17 5:55am

rdhull

avatar

lol

MoBettaBliss said:

soladeo1 said:

How Come is a nice song... I Love U... is SEARING...



go to your room

And everytime I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it.. WELL CAN YA FEEL IT?!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/31/17 11:23pm

dance4me3121

fishwillbite said:



dance4me3121 said:


fishwillbite said:

Oh lordy How Come U Don't Call Me every single time. Astonishing songwriting, powerful singing, you can feel the enthusiasm and excitement flying off the tape machine. There's a reason that it brought the house down live, and that it was a staple of his live show throughout his career, and that is because it is a great frickin song.


.


And there's a reason he didn't play I Love U live very often. It is a muted bit of fluff with crap lyrics. The music is very nice indeed but the vocal... I wish for our sakes, and particularly Ani DiFranco's, that he had found a more nuanced way of singing about a gay relationship. We know that he is capable of it.



He played it during the montroux shows in 2009.He really did that song justice when he performed it live.i think he didn't perform it often because it was too personal


Hey Dance4Me, it's true I did enjoy the live version of I Love U much more than the recording. I'm not familiar with the personal story behind the song, can you elaborate?



I can't say for sure but I heard it was written about his relationship with Mayte.
But then again during the live performance at Montreux​ he sings "I remember meeting you in the good ol' days,the 80's. He didnt know mayte then.so no matter who it's about,it's a very sad song
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 08/06/17 7:48pm

214

How Come is a classic beautiful song i love it, i wish it hadn't faded so soon... I Love U is a good song as well but not at How Come level.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > How come u don't call me anymore VS I love you but don't trust u anymore