independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 23rd Aug 2017 4:17pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Working title of the 1999 album?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/26/17 4:40am

droppingdishes

Working title of the 1999 album?

From Princevault.com:

"1999 was not included on an early configuration of the album (which was likely given another name at the time), but Prince's management suggested he add an over-arching thematic song to the album, and he wrote the song in response."

Of course the song not only made it on the album, but became it's title track and the first single. And it did end up providing some sort of an overarching theme; it more or less became the theme of the era itself, if you will.

Is there more known about this 1999-less version of the 1999 album, such as a working title?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/26/17 4:53am

Moonbeam

avatar

I've also wondered about this. We've seen early configurations for later albums, and it would be awesome to see earlier configurations (and a title!) to his best album.
Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/26/17 4:57am

droppingdishes

Moonbeam said:

I've also wondered about this. We've seen early configurations for later albums, and it would be awesome to see earlier configurations (and a title!) to his best album.


Yeah it'd interesting to know what that title would have been; more so, if the album would have been named after one of the other tracks and if so, which one... like, which one stood out in his mind.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/26/17 5:35am

laurarichardso
n

droppingdishes said:

From Princevault.com: "1999 was not included on an early configuration of the album (which was likely given another name at the time), but Prince's management suggested he add an over-arching thematic song to the album, and he wrote the song in response." Of course the song not only made it on the album, but became it's title track and the first single. And it did end up providing some sort of an overarching theme; it more or less became the theme of the era itself, if you will. Is there more known about this 1999-less version of the 1999 album, such as a working title?

Jimmy Jam said it was WB that asked for another track to be added and that was "1999".

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/26/17 5:38am

soladeo1

The working title for 1999 before it was
1999 was "Lock It Up".
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/26/17 5:44am

Knightoflight

soladeo1 said:

The working title for 1999 before it was 1999 was "Lock It Up".

Thanks

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/26/17 5:58am

IstenSzek

avatar

soladeo1 said:

The working title for 1999 before it was 1999 was "Lock It Up".


never heard that before. what's the source for that? i could imagine "Turn It Up" though.

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/26/17 6:27am

droppingdishes

laurarichardson said:

droppingdishes said:

From Princevault.com: "1999 was not included on an early configuration of the album (which was likely given another name at the time), but Prince's management suggested he add an over-arching thematic song to the album, and he wrote the song in response." Of course the song not only made it on the album, but became it's title track and the first single. And it did end up providing some sort of an overarching theme; it more or less became the theme of the era itself, if you will. Is there more known about this 1999-less version of the 1999 album, such as a working title?

Jimmy Jam said it was WB that asked for another track to be added and that was "1999".

So the label rather than the management. That would be an interesting distinction because that itself could be looked at as some SOTT foreshadowing.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/26/17 6:29am

droppingdishes

IstenSzek said:

soladeo1 said:

The working title for 1999 before it was 1999 was "Lock It Up".


never heard that before. what's the source for that? i could imagine "Turn It Up" though.

I've never heard of that either. Not saying it isn't possible, but as an artist that went on record saying every great album title needs a song to go with it that seems unlikely unless there's a song called "Lock It Up" hidden away... which in itself would be hilariously ironic.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/26/17 6:41am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Lock It Up could have been a place holder like "what is the title?" "we do not know" "you need to Lock it up..."

With Love, Honor & Respect for all of you...no matter how I argue or disagree my heart is full of love for you all...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/26/17 6:57am

droppingdishes

OnlyNDaUsa said:

Lock It Up could have been a place holder like "what is the title?" "we do not know" "you need to Lock it up..."

That makes sense.... "Wrap it up, B" lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/26/17 7:10am

RODSERLING

DMSR ?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/26/17 7:25am

laurarichardso
n

droppingdishes said:

laurarichardson said:

Jimmy Jam said it was WB that asked for another track to be added and that was "1999".

So the label rather than the management. That would be an interesting distinction because that itself could be looked at as some SOTT foreshadowing.

Oh he was having problems with WB long before SOTT. Check out the podcast below. PJ Jones worked for Cavallo and Fargnoli and they were working with WB to keep Prince in check. George Clinton talks about this in his book as well.

He said they were always bitching about something even when Prince was selling records.

Cavallo and Fargnolli worked with the WB to keep Prince from hooking up Chris Blackwell/ Don Letts as his management. Very shady.

http://podcastjuice.net/category/shows/the-prince-podcast/

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/26/17 8:21am

droppingdishes

RODSERLING said:

DMSR ?



That would make sense in my mind. That track is a mission statement for sure.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/26/17 8:25am

droppingdishes

laurarichardson said:



droppingdishes said:




laurarichardson said:



Jimmy Jam said it was WB that asked for another track to be added and that was "1999".




So the label rather than the management. That would be an interesting distinction because that itself could be looked at as some SOTT foreshadowing.



Oh he was having problems with WB long before SOTT. Check out the podcast below. PJ Jones worked for Cavallo and Fargnoli and they were working with WB to keep Prince in check. George Clinton talks about this in his book as well.


He said they were always bitching about something even when Prince was selling records.


Cavallo and Fargnolli worked with the WB to keep Prince from hooking up Chris Blackwell/ Don Letts as his management. Very shady.



http://podcastjuice.net/category/shows/the-prince-podcast/





Good looking out. Yeah, I listened to that podcast on a long road trip a while back. Definitely an interesting perspective, especially because I have also read Don Taylor's book (which mentions Prince only very, very briefly).

But taken at face value and obviously in hindsight, adding "1999" to the album definitely wasn't a bad call.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/26/17 10:51am

SquirrelMeat

avatar

RODSERLING said:

DMSR ?


Would be the obvious headliner in light of the content. That or 'Free', as it was one of the later tracks and if any album that get me free to play over two discs.

.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/26/17 4:58pm

214

Cold Computer would have been a cool title, because of the sound basically.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/26/17 6:24pm

Moonbeam

avatar

droppingdishes said:

RODSERLING said:

DMSR ?

That would make sense in my mind. That track is a mission statement for sure.


Agreed. It would definitely fit as the title track. I suppose "Automatic" or "International Lover" could also be used, but "D.M.S.R." (maybe in full "Dance Music Sex Romance") sums it up quite well.

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/27/17 1:47am

RODSERLING

SquirrelMeat said:

RODSERLING said:

DMSR ?


Would be the obvious headliner in light of the content. That or 'Free', as it was one of the later tracks and if any album that get me free to play over two discs.

Yes, I thought about FREE too.

Speaking of DMSR, such a shame it wasn't released just after DELIRIOUS. It could have been a top 40 hit.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/27/17 3:44am

bluegangsta

avatar

RODSERLING said:

SquirrelMeat said:


Would be the obvious headliner in light of the content. That or 'Free', as it was one of the later tracks and if any album that get me free to play over two discs.

Yes, I thought about FREE too.

Speaking of DMSR, such a shame it wasn't released just after DELIRIOUS. It could have been a top 40 hit.

A song with sex in the title and "Work your body like a whore" in the first few seconds (especially by a black artist) would not have even seen the charts in 1982.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/27/17 5:23am

droppingdishes

RODSERLING said:



SquirrelMeat said:




RODSERLING said:


DMSR ?




Would be the obvious headliner in light of the content. That or 'Free', as it was one of the later tracks and if any album that get me free to play over two discs.



Yes, I thought about FREE too.


Speaking of DMSR, such a shame it wasn't released just after DELIRIOUS. It could have been a top 40 hit.



I always felt that Free was such filler on that album.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/27/17 5:25am

droppingdishes

bluegangsta said:



RODSERLING said:




SquirrelMeat said:




Would be the obvious headliner in light of the content. That or 'Free', as it was one of the later tracks and if any album that get me free to play over two discs.



Yes, I thought about FREE too.


Speaking of DMSR, such a shame it wasn't released just after DELIRIOUS. It could have been a top 40 hit.



A song with sex in the title and "Work your body like a whore" in the first few seconds (especially by a black artist) would not have even seen the charts in 1982.



Not arguing that point.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/27/17 5:38am

RODSERLING

droppingdishes said:

bluegangsta said:

A song with sex in the title and "Work your body like a whore" in the first few seconds (especially by a black artist) would not have even seen the charts in 1982.

Not arguing that point.

It would have been edited

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/27/17 6:24am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

droppingdishes said:

laurarichardson said:

Jimmy Jam said it was WB that asked for another track to be added and that was "1999".

So the label rather than the management. That would be an interesting distinction because that itself could be looked at as some SOTT foreshadowing.

.

Oh for crying out loud. WBR was spending MILLIONS on him and they shouldn't get a say? These are PERFECTLY NORMAL conversations between an artist and arecord company. That's what A&R does.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/27/17 8:58am

alphastreet

RODSERLING said:

DMSR ?

Was just going to say that would have been the most likely used title....if not the numbers of the alphabet matching those initials lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/27/17 9:02am

laurarichardso
n

BartVanHemelen said:

droppingdishes said:

So the label rather than the management. That would be an interesting distinction because that itself could be looked at as some SOTT foreshadowing.

.

Oh for crying out loud. WBR was spending MILLIONS on him and they shouldn't get a say? These are PERFECTLY NORMAL conversations between an artist and arecord company. That's what A&R does.

For crying out loud listen to the podcast. Because it is normal for mgmt and record lables to be assholes to the talent does not make it right.

Even Alan Leeds has had bad thing to say about Prince's mgmt and dealing with WB after many key people like Mo Ostein left the company in the 90s.

----

"Oh he was having problems with WB long before SOTT. Check out the podcast below. PJ Jones worked for Cavallo and Fargnoli and they were working with WB to keep Prince in check. George Clinton talks about this in his book as well.

He said they were always bitching about something even when Prince was selling records.

Cavallo and Fargnolli worked with the WB to keep Prince from hooking up Chris Blackwell/ Don Taylor as his management. Very shady."

http://podcastjuice.net/category/shows/the-prince-podcast/

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/27/17 10:37am

SquirrelMeat

avatar

droppingdishes said:

RODSERLING said:

Yes, I thought about FREE too.

Speaking of DMSR, such a shame it wasn't released just after DELIRIOUS. It could have been a top 40 hit.

I always felt that Free was such filler on that album.


I don't disagree, but that never stopped Prince using a lesser song than some singles as the title track, when it fitted with his vision...For You, Empancipation, Around The World In A Day, Planet Earth, Plectrum Electrum.

.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/27/17 11:01am

RodeoSchro

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

droppingdishes said:

So the label rather than the management. That would be an interesting distinction because that itself could be looked at as some SOTT foreshadowing.

.

Oh for crying out loud. WBR was spending MILLIONS on him and they shouldn't get a say? These are PERFECTLY NORMAL conversations between an artist and arecord company. That's what A&R does.



Why do you have to be so dramatic?

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/27/17 12:38pm

laurarichardso
n

BartVanHemelen said:

droppingdishes said:

So the label rather than the management. That would be an interesting distinction because that itself could be looked at as some SOTT foreshadowing.

.

Oh for crying out loud. WBR was spending MILLIONS on him and they shouldn't get a say? These are PERFECTLY NORMAL conversations between an artist and arecord company. That's what A&R does.

They were not spending millions. Do the videos from that era look like millions were spent?

. Morris got the Time's clothes from second hand stores and Sheila has said the budgets for the albums were small and that was one of the reasons he did not use horns for a long time. No extra money in the budget for horns.

[Edited 7/27/17 12:39pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/27/17 12:48pm

Astasheiks

avatar

laurarichardson said:

BartVanHemelen said:

.

Oh for crying out loud. WBR was spending MILLIONS on him and they shouldn't get a say? These are PERFECTLY NORMAL conversations between an artist and arecord company. That's what A&R does.

For crying out loud listen to the podcast. Because it is normal for mgmt and record lables to be assholes to the talent does not make it right.

Even Alan Leeds has had bad thing to say about Prince's mgmt and dealing with WB after many key people like Mo Ostein left the company in the 90s.

----

"Oh he was having problems with WB long before SOTT. Check out the podcast below. PJ Jones worked for Cavallo and Fargnoli and they were working with WB to keep Prince in check. George Clinton talks about this in his book as well.

He said they were always bitching about something even when Prince was selling records.

Cavallo and Fargnolli worked with the WB to keep Prince from hooking up Chris Blackwell/ Don Taylor as his management. Very shady."

http://podcastjuice.net/category/shows/the-prince-podcast/

BVH rolleyes AMEN to the blue bolded Laura!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Working title of the 1999 album?