independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 23rd Aug 2017 4:16pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Most Overrated Boot?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/25/17 2:15pm

MendesCity

avatar

Most Overrated Boot?

A little bit of a tricky topic, because we've heard so much now that some of the more well-known ones pale by comparison.

I'm gonna say: If I Had a Harem

You?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/25/17 2:28pm

dance4me3121

Wally.it was talked about over the years as one of his best unreleased songs.
[Edited 7/25/17 14:29pm]
[Edited 7/25/17 14:30pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/25/17 2:44pm

RJOrion

1.Moonbeam Levels
2.Wally
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/25/17 3:12pm

BoraBora


Cosmic Day

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/25/17 3:25pm

thisisreece

RJOrion said:

1.Moonbeam Levels 2.Wally

These are two of his best songs in my opinon.

Hundalasiliah!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/25/17 4:29pm

Silvertongue7

One whose appeal I just don't get is Big Tall Wall. The lyrics are creepy, and the high-pitch voice is too piercing, it really isn't my cup of tea.
Wally, Cosmic Day and Moonbeam Levels are amongst my favourite, though...
Someone's in my body, someone's in my body...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/25/17 4:55pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

Wally

Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/25/17 5:08pm

soladeo1

Most Underrated Boot:

If It'll Make U Happy
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/25/17 5:16pm

wishuhvn

I have to go with Big Tall Wall as well although I'm sure that there may be others. I've never found this song interesting. Now Wally on the other hand I have to disagree. Susan always was clear in that Prince destroyed the original song so we're not hearing what she spoke so passionately about but rather the second less personal lyrics. That being said I can still sense the pain in his voice and while the lyrics may not be nowhere as deep as they were originally, there is a pain in his voice that comes through. That's what brought me in, that what's always kept me, the emotion in his voice.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/25/17 5:57pm

droppingdishes

The "I'll Do Anything" sessions. Really, really tough to listen to.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/25/17 6:35pm

bluegangsta

avatar

BoraBora said:

Cosmic Day

soladeo1 said:

Most Underrated Boot: If It'll Make U Happy

A big yes on both counts.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/26/17 7:44am

coldasice

The Grand Progression
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/26/17 7:59am

sulls

avatar

Oh, naw! Not Big Tall Wall. eek

"I like to watch."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/26/17 8:02am

gandorb

Data Banks - ok but not in my top 50 boots.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/26/17 12:34pm

RJOrion

BoraBora said:


Cosmic Day

i just heard this for the first time yesterday...maybe i heard the wrong song, but it sounds like 12 year old girls singing...if that was Cosmic Day, then yes, that song is overrated too... i kept reading commenters praise it, but i was thinking i must have heard the wrong song

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/26/17 12:37pm

jjam

Definitely the Caterpillar make. The stitching is awful and the heels disintegrate from the inside after only a few months.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/26/17 12:40pm

paisleypark4

avatar

Im so so thank ful to have it..and it is actually a nice song!

However Per Nilsen messed me up for a very long time because I finally got to hear "Love And Sex" by Sheila E. Which he described as an exhilirating track...and in my opinion, it was alright and I see why it was left off the album compared to the other tracks. It just doesnt really..take off, however it is a nice pop tune and kind of cute. Very thankful for hearing it, but Per had me going bonkers in his description.


However THIS IS a guy who said Dance Electric and Sugar Walls were just okay even describing "Sugar Walls" as not one of Prince's best moments, which I defenitley disagree with him.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/26/17 1:04pm

fen

avatar

RJOrion said:

BoraBora said:


Cosmic Day

i just heard this for the first time yesterday...maybe i heard the wrong song, but it sounds like 12 year old girls singing...if that was Cosmic Day, then yes, that song is overrated too... i kept reading commenters praise it, but i was thinking i must have heard the wrong song

Yes, that’s the one, but we’ve only heard a 1 ½ minute section, haven’t we? It’s definitely odd (I generally like odd), but in any case I’ve learnt to reserve judgement until I’ve heard the entire thing – we all know the interesting and unexpected places Prince can take a track.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/26/17 1:24pm

fen

avatar

I know that the OP is talking about studio leaks rather than bootlegs in general, so I’m straying off topic (and I’m probably going to be laughed off the forum for this), but I’ve never understood why “Small Club” was so highly rated. It’s great and I like it a lot, but it doesn’t better a lot of other live material out there for me. I much prefer the Sign O' The Times and Lovesexy rehearsals. Small Club always had a mythical status not unlike some of these studio tracks, and my initial reaction upon hearing it was slight disappointment.



Of the recent studio leaks, Wally definitely suffers from its reputation, but I still think it’s great.

[Edited 7/26/17 13:32pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/26/17 3:10pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

Cosmic Day


It's not even good, much less great. I don't care if I ever hear more than the circulating snippet...

Bass U Shoulda Played
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/26/17 3:49pm

RJOrion

djThunderfunk said:

Cosmic Day


It's not even good, much less great. I don't care if I ever hear more than the circulating snippet...

for real..its so bad that when i first played it, it though i was being trolled...i thought someone sent me a link that said "prince - cosmic day", but attached a different song as a joke/prank... confused

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/26/17 3:52pm

purplepolitici
an

avatar

I've always loved Big Tall Wall shrug. It's out there n fun, the way he meant it music. I got more hos than a golf course lol pimp2. Like Cosmic Day 2 bringiton.

typo edit

[Edited 7/26/17 15:53pm]

Guitars n drums! dancing jig
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/26/17 4:00pm

paisleypark4

avatar

RJOrion said:

djThunderfunk said:

Cosmic Day


It's not even good, much less great. I don't care if I ever hear more than the circulating snippet...

for real..its so bad that when i first played it, it though i was being trolled...i thought someone sent me a link that said "prince - cosmic day", but attached a different song as a joke/prank... confused

LOL

I like the song I guess, but would like to hear more. Sounds like it is about to go into a rock solo then fades out after the second verse. Maybe it could get more interesting.

I think Per Nilsen was responsible in hyping this track as well in his description, plus the title itself is pretty cool.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/26/17 4:02pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

fen said:

I know that the OP is talking about studio leaks rather than bootlegs in general, so I’m straying off topic (and I’m probably going to be laughed off the forum for this), but I’ve never understood why “Small Club” was so highly rated. It’s great and I like it a lot, but it doesn’t better a lot of other live material out there for me. I much prefer the Sign O' The Times and Lovesexy rehearsals. Small Club always had a mythical status not unlike some of these studio tracks, and my initial reaction upon hearing it was slight disappointment.



Of the recent studio leaks, Wally definitely suffers from its reputation, but I still think it’s great.

[Edited 7/26/17 13:32pm]


When I clicked on the thread I was thinking "bootlegs", not "bootleg tracks", so, I think it's fair enough.

That said, I won't "laugh" you off the forum but I might "sigh" you off... lol

Small Club is such a great show. So loose and tight at the same time and fonky as hell. Just My Imagination & People Without stand out, but that Rave Un2 jam is simply superb.

It's not just the setlist and the vibe either. The sound quality is fantastic, not just soundboard, but a well-mixed soundboard. This thing sounds better than most artists' official live releases.

Not to mention, when it came out, there was lots less competition. Most boots didn't sounded nearly as good as this and few had tracklists as interesting. Plus, for me anyway, it was a surprise. I had heard zero hype about it or how good it was. I bought it taking the same risk I did with any bootleg, I might put it on the turntable and find I had spent $75 on a horrible recording that sounded like someone recorded it with a walkman in their pocket.. but no, it was terrific.

In my not-so-humble opinion, of course... wink

Bass U Shoulda Played
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/26/17 5:37pm

fen

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

fen said:

I know that the OP is talking about studio leaks rather than bootlegs in general, so I’m straying off topic (and I’m probably going to be laughed off the forum for this), but I’ve never understood why “Small Club” was so highly rated. It’s great and I like it a lot, but it doesn’t better a lot of other live material out there for me. I much prefer the Sign O' The Times and Lovesexy rehearsals. Small Club always had a mythical status not unlike some of these studio tracks, and my initial reaction upon hearing it was slight disappointment.



Of the recent studio leaks, Wally definitely suffers from its reputation, but I still think it’s great.

[Edited 7/26/17 13:32pm]


When I clicked on the thread I was thinking "bootlegs", not "bootleg tracks", so, I think it's fair enough.

That said, I won't "laugh" you off the forum but I might "sigh" you off... lol

Small Club is such a great show. So loose and tight at the same time and fonky as hell. Just My Imagination & People Without stand out, but that Rave Un2 jam is simply superb.

It's not just the setlist and the vibe either. The sound quality is fantastic, not just soundboard, but a well-mixed soundboard. This thing sounds better than most artists' official live releases.

Not to mention, when it came out, there was lots less competition. Most boots didn't sounded nearly as good as this and few had tracklists as interesting. Plus, for me anyway, it was a surprise. I had heard zero hype about it or how good it was. I bought it taking the same risk I did with any bootleg, I might put it on the turntable and find I had spent $75 on a horrible recording that sounded like someone recorded it with a walkman in their pocket.. but no, it was terrific.

In my not-so-humble opinion, of course... wink

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great show, but I tend to prefer Prince at his most intense or face-distortingly funky (not a word, but you know what I mean… Feline or IGBABN/Six territory). Overall, “Small Club” is quite a chilled, laid back show. But I agree, “Rave Un2” is wonderful. What I’m really talking about is the pitfalls of being confronted with long mythologised material, and our ultimate response always depends on our personal tastes and expectations. As a young, relatively new fan I tracked down a copy of The Black Album a few years before it saw an official release, and I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest.

Regarding your last point, I also started collecting bootlegs in the pre-internet days when you actually had to leave the house and part with significant amounts of cash, so I remember what a lottery it was back then. I was bemoaning the sound quality of Dear Michelangelo when it leaked and had to remind myself of some of the stuff that I happily listened to in the past. smile

[Edited 7/26/17 17:40pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/26/17 5:49pm

Moonbeam

avatar

I wouldn't necessarily say "overrated", but I've never jumped about the train of fawning for these, though I like them well enough:

"In a Large Room With No Light"
"All My Dreams"
"Splash"
"Go"
"Big Tall Wall"
"Rebirth of the Flesh"
"The Dopamine Rush Suite"

All good songs, but nowhere near the top of the shelf, IMO.

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/26/17 5:56pm

sulls

avatar

Moonbeam said:

I wouldn't necessarily say "overrated", but I've never jumped about the train of fawning for these, though I like them well enough:

"In a Large Room With No Light"
"All My Dreams"
"Splash"
"Go"
"Big Tall Wall"
"Rebirth of the Flesh"
"The Dopamine Rush Suite"

All good songs, but nowhere near the top of the shelf, IMO.

Rebirth of the Flesh was my first grail track before I even recognized it as such. When I first found it in great quality, I was soooo happy.

"I like to watch."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/26/17 6:10pm

Moonbeam

avatar

sulls said:

Moonbeam said:

I wouldn't necessarily say "overrated", but I've never jumped about the train of fawning for these, though I like them well enough:

"In a Large Room With No Light"
"All My Dreams"
"Splash"
"Go"
"Big Tall Wall"
"Rebirth of the Flesh"
"The Dopamine Rush Suite"

All good songs, but nowhere near the top of the shelf, IMO.

Rebirth of the Flesh was my first grail track before I even recognized it as such. When I first found it in great quality, I was soooo happy.


I like it! But it's about a 7.5 for me, not a 10. Then again, I have songs like "Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic" and "3 Chains of Gold" as contenders for my top 10 Prince songs, so what do I know. razz

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/26/17 7:08pm

RJOrion

soladeo1 said:

Most Underrated Boot: If It'll Make U Happy

Most Underrated: "Schoolyard"

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/26/17 7:30pm

luvsexy4all

the elitists can keep their unedited perfect copy of Cosmic Day..

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Most Overrated Boot?