independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 20th May 2019 6:29pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Crystal Ball should be on Vinyl
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/26/17 7:28am

paisleypark4

avatar

Crystal Ball should be on Vinyl

Who's with me on this?

Its about time hell.

Each disc its own seperate album for $14.99 or something...

Im surprised bootleggers never took it upon themselves to make a vinyl release out of this album almost all the others do.

CrystalBallflyer2_zps7c827aa1.jpg

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/26/17 11:18am

kapo74

That would be a 300 inch record lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/26/17 2:02pm

ludwig

I want it on MiniDisc.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/26/17 2:39pm

TheDigitalGard
ener

paisleypark4 said:

Who's with me on this?

Its about time hell.

Is it? So am I right in thinking you would want this on vinyl above any others? It's one of the last things I'd want released on vinyl.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/26/17 3:10pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

TheDigitalGardener said:

paisleypark4 said:

Who's with me on this?

Its about time hell.

Is it? So am I right in thinking you would want this on vinyl above any others? It's one of the last things I'd want released on vinyl.

I guess some of us like it more than you. lol But it isn't what I would want pressed on vinyl. The CD set is fine.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/26/17 3:50pm

Ferret

I don't get this vinyl shit. I grew up with it, it's awful.

Blu-Ray HD 5.1 audio is what we want!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/26/17 8:13pm

jaawwnn

avatar

Crystal Ball is pretty brickwalled and there's some weird edits and segues, I think it should be left as it is and replaced with a proper reissue series.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/27/17 3:20am

MiceElfAgin

As much as I love the ritual of taking a vinyl out of its sleeve and putting it on a turntable, cleaning it, and playing it while looking at the cover and reading the liner notes (and I also love the ritual of putting a big tape reel on a Revox and playing it...) – I just don't see the point in releasing vinyl today UNLESS it's a facsimile of an old release, a cover meticulously reproduced with the original, high resolution artwork (as opposed to blowing up an artwork originally created for the 5" CD release!) for the collectors.

The artwork for Crystal Ball was created for CD (and was designed to be primitive to look like a bootleg) so it would look crap in 12" size, and putting it out as a 3LP set would mean that the playing time would be 25 minutes per side, so it would sound crap too. Yet it'd be expensive.

[Edited 5/27/17 3:21am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/27/17 3:29am

leecaldon

MiceElfAgin said:

As much as I love the ritual of taking a vinyl out of its sleeve and putting it on a turntable, cleaning it, and playing it while looking at the cover and reading the liner notes (and I also love the ritual of putting a big tape reel on a Revox and playing it...) – I just don't see the point in releasing vinyl today UNLESS it's a facsimile of an old release, a cover meticulously reproduced with the original, high resolution artwork (as opposed to blowing up an artwork originally created for the 5" CD release!) for the collectors.

The artwork for Crystal Ball was created for CD (and was designed to be primitive to look like a bootleg) so it would look crap in 12" size, and putting it out as a 3LP set would mean that the playing time would be 25 minutes per side, so it would sound crap too. Yet it'd be expensive.

[Edited 5/27/17 3:21am]

Ironically, as I think many Prince bootlegs have better artwork than his official releases.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/27/17 3:35am

MiceElfAgin

leecaldon said:

MiceElfAgin said:

As much as I love the ritual of taking a vinyl out of its sleeve and putting it on a turntable, cleaning it, and playing it while looking at the cover and reading the liner notes (and I also love the ritual of putting a big tape reel on a Revox and playing it...) – I just don't see the point in releasing vinyl today UNLESS it's a facsimile of an old release, a cover meticulously reproduced with the original, high resolution artwork (as opposed to blowing up an artwork originally created for the 5" CD release!) for the collectors.

The artwork for Crystal Ball was created for CD (and was designed to be primitive to look like a bootleg) so it would look crap in 12" size, and putting it out as a 3LP set would mean that the playing time would be 25 minutes per side, so it would sound crap too. Yet it'd be expensive.

[Edited 5/27/17 3:21am]

Ironically, as I think many Prince bootlegs have better artwork than his official releases.

.
I agree. Or to be fair: some bootlegs have better artwork than some of his official releases.

[Edited 5/27/17 3:36am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/28/17 6:23am

ufoclub

avatar

Ferret said:

I don't get this vinyl shit. I grew up with it, it's awful.


Blu-Ray HD 5.1 audio is what we want!



cool
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/28/17 6:34am

rdhull

avatar

Ferret said:

I don't get this vinyl shit. I grew up with it, it's awful.

Damn. Someone finally said it.

lol it aint the estates fault you all devoured bootlegs and heard everything
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/29/17 1:07am

Laydown

Yes it should be on vinyl

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/29/17 1:12am

Laydown

rdhull said:

Ferret said:

I don't get this vinyl shit. I grew up with it, it's awful.

Damn. Someone finally said it.

Vinyl sounds better than all other formats,but u must have proper decks,those tiny little shitty record players dont cut it. Right now im listening to The Rainbow Children,obviously on vinyl.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/29/17 1:51am

MiceElfAgin

Laydown said:

rdhull said:

Damn. Someone finally said it.

Vinyl sounds better than all other formats

.
BS.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/29/17 4:55am

leecaldon

MiceElfAgin said:

Laydown said:

Vinyl sounds better than all other formats

.
BS.

Yes, that's patently not true.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/29/17 9:46am

ufoclub

avatar

MiceElfAgin said:

Laydown said:

Vinyl sounds better than all other formats

.
BS.

Yeah, Vinyl does not sound better than CD. I grew up on vinyl. Still own all Prince stuff that was released on vinyl.

Now a recording could be a bit messed up in it's transfer to CD as is the case with much of the Prince stuff from the 80's.

But technically, a regular CD can have much more fidelity and detail than vinyl. People are fooled by the emphasis on the lower midrange bass on vinyl playback and the more compressed bass needed to keep the needle on the record. Also when it's played through a $100K sound system of course it's going to sound good... but just play a well mastered CD through the same system.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/29/17 9:48am

ufoclub

avatar

But... the artwork size and detail that was inherent in vinyl albums is sorely missed, and in my opinion, that loss is part of the current cutural decline of value of pop music in terms of profit.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/29/17 10:44am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Every Prince album should get a vinyl release, because... there is a market for it.

A large segment of his fandom is made up of people who grew up on vinyl and still appreciate the format and an ever growing segment of the music buying public continues to gravitate to the format.

It's a no-brainer.

As has been said, you also can't beat artwork & liner notes in the 12" format.

"I've made up my mind. Don't try to confuse me with the facts." - Harry J. Anslinger
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/29/17 11:58am

paisleypark4

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

Every Prince album should get a vinyl release, because... there is a market for it.

A large segment of his fandom is made up of people who grew up on vinyl and still appreciate the format and an ever growing segment of the music buying public continues to gravitate to the format.

It's a no-brainer.

As has been said, you also can't beat artwork & liner notes in the 12" format.

I was thinking they could use the website images as the liner notes for each album...sold seperatley of course. I wonder which album out of the three would sell the most?

The CD sounds damn good, but doesnt make me not want a Crystal Ball vinyl any less. Actually I play the Hit N Run 2 vinyl more than the CD just for the experience itself (180G clear pressing? HELLO). Swear if I had my own record plant I'd be pressing them for friends now.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Crystal Ball should be on Vinyl