independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 28th Apr 2017 3:15am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince song poll: Results!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 04/20/17 2:05pm

214

namepeace said:

Moonbeam said:

  • 35. Adore (1987): 36 votes, 8.87 average, 13.98 points


The voters in this poll, as a whole, felt that there were 34 songs in Prince's catalogue greater than "Adore."

They. Done. Lost. They. Minds.


Indeed, this should have been in the top 5 as well The Ballad of Dorothy and ICNTTPOYM.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 04/20/17 2:22pm

Moonbeam

avatar

namepeace said:



Moonbeam said:



  • 31. The Ballad of Dorothy Parker (1987): 33 votes, 9.00 average, 14.11 points





The voters in this poll, as a whole, found 30 songs in Prince's catalogue better than "Ballad."

They ranked "Paisley Park" above this song AND "Adore."




Well, I for one like "Paisley Park" more than both of those songs by quite a bit. We all have different taste! I didn't complain when my two favorite songs came in at number 82 and 62, respectively.

Placing in the top 40 is a big achievement for an artist like Prince! "Adore" wouldn't make my top 500 Prince songs, but it has earned its place in the top 40.
Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 04/20/17 2:43pm

damosuzuki

avatar

Moonbeam said:

namepeace said:


The voters in this poll, as a whole, found 30 songs in Prince's catalogue better than "Ballad."

They ranked "Paisley Park" above this song AND "Adore."


Well, I for one like "Paisley Park" more than both of those songs by quite a bit. We all have different taste! I didn't complain when my two favorite songs came in at number 82 and 62, respectively. Placing in the top 40 is a big achievement for an artist like Prince! "Adore" wouldn't make my top 500 Prince songs, but it has earned its place in the top 40.

it's only 39 voters as well. i always will defer to the statistician in the room on such matters, and i think your formula tries to account for the impact of outlier votes, but it may just be in the relatively small sample we have, a lot of people really love paisley park, and hey, good for them. i wouldn't slot it quite so highly myself, but i'm sure pleasantly surprised & happy to forever in my live & new position rubbing shoulders in the top 50.

.

i only wish there could have been more voters.

.

moonbeam, i had a thought i was going to throw at you. i know you had talked about doing another poll next year. what would you think about doing another song poll, but instead of rating every prince song known to man, we tried doing a pazz & jop style vote. ie giving voters 200 points to split up among their top 20 prince songs, or 500 pts to their top 50 or whatever, and then using that to make a top 20 or top 50 list.

.

if i remember correctly, the peach & black guys did a song poll a few years ago to create a top 20, but i think they used fairly loose methodology, something i know you'd never let happen.

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 04/20/17 2:55pm

rainbowchild

avatar

namepeace said:



Moonbeam said:



  • 31. The Ballad of Dorothy Parker (1987): 33 votes, 9.00 average, 14.11 points





The voters in this poll, as a whole, found 30 songs in Prince's catalogue better than "Ballad."

They ranked "Paisley Park" above this song AND "Adore."




"Jughead" at #1! lol
"Just like the sun, the Rainbow Children rise."

"Am I black or white? Am I straight or gay?"

"We had fun, didn't we?"
-Prince (1958-2016) 4ever in my life
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 04/20/17 3:38pm

Adorecream

avatar

damosuzuki said:

Moonbeam said:

namepeace said: Well, I for one like "Paisley Park" more than both of those songs by quite a bit. We all have different taste! I didn't complain when my two favorite songs came in at number 82 and 62, respectively. Placing in the top 40 is a big achievement for an artist like Prince! "Adore" wouldn't make my top 500 Prince songs, but it has earned its place in the top 40.

it's only 39 voters as well. i always will defer to the statistician in the room on such matters, and i think your formula tries to account for the impact of outlier votes, but it may just be in the relatively small sample we have, a lot of people really love paisley park, and hey, good for them. i wouldn't slot it quite so highly myself, but i'm sure pleasantly surprised & happy to forever in my live & new position rubbing shoulders in the top 50.

.

i only wish there could have been more voters.

.

moonbeam, i had a thought i was going to throw at you. i know you had talked about doing another poll next year. what would you think about doing another song poll, but instead of rating every prince song known to man, we tried doing a pazz & jop style vote. ie giving voters 200 points to split up among their top 20 prince songs, or 500 pts to their top 50 or whatever, and then using that to make a top 20 or top 50 list.

.

if i remember correctly, the peach & black guys did a song poll a few years ago to create a top 20, but i think they used fairly loose methodology, something i know you'd never let happen.

Yes the size of voting was small, but Moonbeam tried very hard here, he originally wanted the poll to stop on January 11th, but people were slow in voting and there were a series of extensions to Feb1, Mar1, March 31st and finally early April and then the count down began.

.

Moonbeam promoted the heck out of this countdown with org, facebook and probably other promotions. It was leaked to Prince pages on Facebook and yet 39 people out of what could have been 100s only chose to vote. We should be praising Moonbeam for his work. Just because half of you could not be bothered voting, I really don'yt think non voters in any case have the right to criticise. How many of you lazy ass people would suggest such a thing, some 1500 songs instead of the usual 10 or20 favourites we get here on the org.

.

Yes it looks like Purple Rain and Parade tracks will probably dominate the Top 20, but so what, we all had our chance and some of you blew it, by saying "Yeah I am getting around to it" and I suspect many of you were Americans as I know many of our voters were Australian and New Zealanders, a part of the world where we have the British punctuality standards and not the American laziness and inertia that dominates them. I mean I completed mine on December 30th and have had to wait 4 months after we gave you slowpoke Rodriguez Americans all this time to do it.

.

So just lets all be cool and enjoy the Top 20 as they emerge, and once again Moonbeam - Thank you for all the hard work.

Sign o the Times - 30 years old this month.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 04/20/17 4:16pm

gandorb

Adorecream said:

damosuzuki said:

it's only 39 voters as well. i always will defer to the statistician in the room on such matters, and i think your formula tries to account for the impact of outlier votes, but it may just be in the relatively small sample we have, a lot of people really love paisley park, and hey, good for them. i wouldn't slot it quite so highly myself, but i'm sure pleasantly surprised & happy to forever in my live & new position rubbing shoulders in the top 50.

.

i only wish there could have been more voters.

.

moonbeam, i had a thought i was going to throw at you. i know you had talked about doing another poll next year. what would you think about doing another song poll, but instead of rating every prince song known to man, we tried doing a pazz & jop style vote. ie giving voters 200 points to split up among their top 20 prince songs, or 500 pts to their top 50 or whatever, and then using that to make a top 20 or top 50 list.

.

if i remember correctly, the peach & black guys did a song poll a few years ago to create a top 20, but i think they used fairly loose methodology, something i know you'd never let happen.

Yes the size of voting was small, but Moonbeam tried very hard here, he originally wanted the poll to stop on January 11th, but people were slow in voting and there were a series of extensions to Feb1, Mar1, March 31st and finally early April and then the count down began.

.

Moonbeam promoted the heck out of this countdown with org, facebook and probably other promotions. It was leaked to Prince pages on Facebook and yet 39 people out of what could have been 100s only chose to vote. We should be praising Moonbeam for his work. Just because half of you could not be bothered voting, I really don'yt think non voters in any case have the right to criticise. How many of you lazy ass people would suggest such a thing, some 1500 songs instead of the usual 10 or20 favourites we get here on the org.

.

Yes it looks like Purple Rain and Parade tracks will probably dominate the Top 20, but so what, we all had our chance and some of you blew it, by saying "Yeah I am getting around to it" and I suspect many of you were Americans as I know many of our voters were Australian and New Zealanders, a part of the world where we have the British punctuality standards and not the American laziness and inertia that dominates them. I mean I completed mine on December 30th and have had to wait 4 months after we gave you slowpoke Rodriguez Americans all this time to do it.

.

So just lets all be cool and enjoy the Top 20 as they emerge, and once again Moonbeam - Thank you for all the hard work.

Good grief. Americans deserve bashing for many things, but it is hardly like the rest of the world participated as well. A total of 39, including some Americans. You stereotype more than anyone else here ("churchified blacks", country music fans etc) which takes away from the good points that you do make. I agree that Moonbeam has put a lot of effort here and deserves much applause.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 04/20/17 4:28pm

Moonbeam

avatar

damosuzuki said:

Moonbeam said:

namepeace said: Well, I for one like "Paisley Park" more than both of those songs by quite a bit. We all have different taste! I didn't complain when my two favorite songs came in at number 82 and 62, respectively. Placing in the top 40 is a big achievement for an artist like Prince! "Adore" wouldn't make my top 500 Prince songs, but it has earned its place in the top 40.

it's only 39 voters as well. i always will defer to the statistician in the room on such matters, and i think your formula tries to account for the impact of outlier votes, but it may just be in the relatively small sample we have, a lot of people really love paisley park, and hey, good for them. i wouldn't slot it quite so highly myself, but i'm sure pleasantly surprised & happy to forever in my live & new position rubbing shoulders in the top 50.

.

i only wish there could have been more voters.

.

moonbeam, i had a thought i was going to throw at you. i know you had talked about doing another poll next year. what would you think about doing another song poll, but instead of rating every prince song known to man, we tried doing a pazz & jop style vote. ie giving voters 200 points to split up among their top 20 prince songs, or 500 pts to their top 50 or whatever, and then using that to make a top 20 or top 50 list.

.

if i remember correctly, the peach & black guys did a song poll a few years ago to create a top 20, but i think they used fairly loose methodology, something i know you'd never let happen.


Thanks, damo! Yes, the fact that only 39 participated means that there isn't a lot of significant separation between the songs. That said, it's still interesting to see how the list is playing out, and I think a lot of it is lining up with what I think a broader consensus would be.

Since we're talking stats, I'll mention that the task of determining a ranking of Prince fans' collective favorites is quite difficult. Ideally, for each song we would want a measure that reflects both the true center of its preference distribution ("what is a typical rating for this song") as well as the spread of its preference distribution ("how much do people's opinions vary about this song"). However, when people assign ratings to things, they do so based on a subjective feeling. What constitutes one person's "I like it" vs. another person's "I like it" may be different, and as such, one person's rating of 7 might be equivalent to another person's rating of 5, or another person's rating of 9! That makes it difficult to interpret the center and spread of a song's preference distribution. Consequently, I feel it is impossible to get the sort of precise scaling that would be necessary to truly measure preference.

As such, we have to try for as decent of an approximation as we can get. A lot of other games (like those you and I have both participated in at AcclaimedMusic, for example), impose a strict distribution for ranked lists, such that each time an album/song gets a ranking of X, it gets Y points. But two people assigning a rank of X to the same work might not have the same level of preference for that work, and furthermore, the choice of the point system may not reflect the true variation in preference for participants at all. A distribution of 100 points for a top ranked song, 80 points for a second ranked song, 70 points for a third ranked song, etc., might suit some, but for others, the gap between their first and second favorite may be narrower than the gap between their second and third favorite.

What I like about my system is that it allows the participants to construct a scale to best reflect their own preference distribution. We can (rightly) quibble about natural inconsistencies in ratings from voter to voter, but I think giving participants the choice to assign their own distribution is a step in the right direction. A Pazz n Jop style point system as you suggest could achieve the same thing, and maybe that is worth exploring for future versions of this!

I think, in hindsight, a deterrent to participation may have been that people saw a big spreadsheet and felt overwhelmed, even though I said I would be happy to accept any number of ratings, whether it be 10 or 1000. If I roll out the same type of poll in a year's time, perhaps I'll split the spreadsheet up into different sheets - say, one for songs officially released by Prince, another for songs official released by associated artists, and another for unreleased songs. My hope is that I would at least be starting with a set of 39 ballots (that could be amended by those who submitted them, of course), and hopefully get closer to 100 next time.

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 04/20/17 4:31pm

Moonbeam

avatar

Adorecream said:

damosuzuki said:

it's only 39 voters as well. i always will defer to the statistician in the room on such matters, and i think your formula tries to account for the impact of outlier votes, but it may just be in the relatively small sample we have, a lot of people really love paisley park, and hey, good for them. i wouldn't slot it quite so highly myself, but i'm sure pleasantly surprised & happy to forever in my live & new position rubbing shoulders in the top 50.

.

i only wish there could have been more voters.

.

moonbeam, i had a thought i was going to throw at you. i know you had talked about doing another poll next year. what would you think about doing another song poll, but instead of rating every prince song known to man, we tried doing a pazz & jop style vote. ie giving voters 200 points to split up among their top 20 prince songs, or 500 pts to their top 50 or whatever, and then using that to make a top 20 or top 50 list.

.

if i remember correctly, the peach & black guys did a song poll a few years ago to create a top 20, but i think they used fairly loose methodology, something i know you'd never let happen.

Yes the size of voting was small, but Moonbeam tried very hard here, he originally wanted the poll to stop on January 11th, but people were slow in voting and there were a series of extensions to Feb1, Mar1, March 31st and finally early April and then the count down began.

.

Moonbeam promoted the heck out of this countdown with org, facebook and probably other promotions. It was leaked to Prince pages on Facebook and yet 39 people out of what could have been 100s only chose to vote. We should be praising Moonbeam for his work. Just because half of you could not be bothered voting, I really don'yt think non voters in any case have the right to criticise. How many of you lazy ass people would suggest such a thing, some 1500 songs instead of the usual 10 or20 favourites we get here on the org.

.

Yes it looks like Purple Rain and Parade tracks will probably dominate the Top 20, but so what, we all had our chance and some of you blew it, by saying "Yeah I am getting around to it" and I suspect many of you were Americans as I know many of our voters were Australian and New Zealanders, a part of the world where we have the British punctuality standards and not the American laziness and inertia that dominates them. I mean I completed mine on December 30th and have had to wait 4 months after we gave you slowpoke Rodriguez Americans all this time to do it.

.

So just lets all be cool and enjoy the Top 20 as they emerge, and once again Moonbeam - Thank you for all the hard work.

Thanks for the kind words! I should point out that damosuzuki was one of our (very eager) participants.

I think that in the end, I still got a lot of useful information in this poll. There may have only been 39 partcipants, but those participants gave me a whopping 19,897 ratings! If I had asked people to give me a top 100 or whatever, it would take 199 participants to top that amount of information.

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 04/20/17 4:32pm

Moonbeam

avatar

rainbowchild said:

namepeace said:


The voters in this poll, as a whole, found 30 songs in Prince's catalogue better than "Ballad."

They ranked "Paisley Park" above this song AND "Adore."


"Jughead" at #1! lol

You want him on the mic? wink

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 04/20/17 5:01pm

Moonbeam

avatar

  • 20. Sometimes It Snows in April (1986): 35 votes, 9.16 average, 14.92 points
  • 19. I Wanna Be Your Lover (1979): 36 votes, 9.14 average, 14.94 points
  • 18. Controversy (1981): 37 votes, 9.12 average, 14.98 points
  • 17. Anotherloverholenyohead (1986): 34 votes, 9.24 average, 15.06 points
  • 16. 17 Days (1984): 31 votes, 9.35 average, 15.06 points
  • 15. The Question of U (1990): 34 votes, 9.24 average, 15.08 points
  • 14. The Beautiful Ones (1984): 34 votes, 9.24 average, 15.09 points
  • 13. Pop Life (1985): 37 votes, 9.15 average, 15.10 points
  • 12. Purple Rain (1984): 36 votes, 9.20 average, 15.18 points
  • 11. Kiss (1986): 36 votes, 9.22 average, 15.24 points


Any predictions for the final 10?

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 04/20/17 5:43pm

damosuzuki

avatar

Moonbeam said:

Any predictions for the final 10?

well, i think i've got 9 of them.

i was a bit stymied on the last one, and i'm not 100% certain that i've got it right, but we will see.

.

it might look something like this:

.

edit - i'll just leave it to be surprised tomorrow!

[Edited 4/20/17 17:54pm]

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 04/20/17 5:50pm

gandorb

Moonbeam said:

  • 20. Sometimes It Snows in April (1986): 35 votes, 9.16 average, 14.92 points
  • 19. I Wanna Be Your Lover (1979): 36 votes, 9.14 average, 14.94 points
  • 18. Controversy (1981): 37 votes, 9.12 average, 14.98 points
  • 17. Anotherloverholenyohead (1986): 34 votes, 9.24 average, 15.06 points
  • 16. 17 Days (1984): 31 votes, 9.35 average, 15.06 points
  • 15. The Question of U (1990): 34 votes, 9.24 average, 15.08 points
  • 14. The Beautiful Ones (1984): 34 votes, 9.24 average, 15.09 points
  • 13. Pop Life (1985): 37 votes, 9.15 average, 15.10 points
  • 12. Purple Rain (1984): 36 votes, 9.20 average, 15.18 points
  • 11. Kiss (1986): 36 votes, 9.22 average, 15.24 points


Any predictions for the final 10?

I am sure glad to see Anotherloverholenyohead and the Question of U in the top 20!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 04/20/17 7:08pm

Moonbeam

avatar

damosuzuki said:

Moonbeam said:

Any predictions for the final 10?

well, i think i've got 9 of them.

i was a bit stymied on the last one, and i'm not 100% certain that i've got it right, but we will see.

.

it might look something like this:

.

edit - i'll just leave it to be surprised tomorrow!

[Edited 4/20/17 17:54pm]

I wish I had seen your guess! I think the 10 songs are fairly obvious to pick among the list of songs that haven't been announced yet, but I could be wrong.

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 04/20/17 7:08pm

Moonbeam

avatar

gandorb said:

Moonbeam said:

  • 20. Sometimes It Snows in April (1986): 35 votes, 9.16 average, 14.92 points
  • 19. I Wanna Be Your Lover (1979): 36 votes, 9.14 average, 14.94 points
  • 18. Controversy (1981): 37 votes, 9.12 average, 14.98 points
  • 17. Anotherloverholenyohead (1986): 34 votes, 9.24 average, 15.06 points
  • 16. 17 Days (1984): 31 votes, 9.35 average, 15.06 points
  • 15. The Question of U (1990): 34 votes, 9.24 average, 15.08 points
  • 14. The Beautiful Ones (1984): 34 votes, 9.24 average, 15.09 points
  • 13. Pop Life (1985): 37 votes, 9.15 average, 15.10 points
  • 12. Purple Rain (1984): 36 votes, 9.20 average, 15.18 points
  • 11. Kiss (1986): 36 votes, 9.22 average, 15.24 points


Any predictions for the final 10?

I am sure glad to see Anotherloverholenyohead and the Question of U in the top 20!


Me too!

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 04/20/17 7:23pm

damosuzuki

avatar

Moonbeam said:

damosuzuki said:

well, i think i've got 9 of them.

i was a bit stymied on the last one, and i'm not 100% certain that i've got it right, but we will see.

.

it might look something like this:

.

edit - i'll just leave it to be surprised tomorrow!

[Edited 4/20/17 17:54pm]

I wish I had seen your guess! I think the 10 songs are fairly obvious to pick among the list of songs that haven't been announced yet, but I could be wrong.

since you want to see it, i'll post it. order at this point seems like pure guesswork, since the margins are so tight & the sample size relatively small. in fact, i'm not sure this is the same sequence that i initially posted before editing.

.

i am fairly sure these are what remain, but i'm very capable of making mistakes!

10 girls & boys (this is the only one where i'd say i'm not reasonably confident)

9 let's go crazy

8 raspberry beret

7 erotic city

6 dmsr

5 1999

4 little red corvette

3 sign o the times

2 if i was your girlfriend

1 when doves cry

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 04/20/17 7:24pm

damosuzuki

avatar

Moonbeam said:

gandorb said:

I am sure glad to see Anotherloverholenyohead and the Question of U in the top 20!


Me too!

anotherlover was a real & very pleasant surprise. it's always been a favourite of mine, & i'm happy to see so many other people like it so much too.

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 04/20/17 7:31pm

damosuzuki

avatar

Moonbeam said:

I think that in the end, I still got a lot of useful information in this poll. There may have only been 39 partcipants, but those participants gave me a whopping 19,897 ratings! If I had asked people to give me a top 100 or whatever, it would take 199 participants to top that amount of information.

and i'll also just add that, while i wish we would have had more contributors, i don't think 39 is a terrible turnout, really. i remember back when you would hold year end polls in the m:np forum, and this was back when the forum was quite alive and kicking, and even then i don't think we ever reached 39 participants, did we?

.

it's not perfect, but it's nothing to be dismissed either.

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 04/20/17 7:51pm

Moonbeam

avatar

damosuzuki said:

Moonbeam said:

I wish I had seen your guess! I think the 10 songs are fairly obvious to pick among the list of songs that haven't been announced yet, but I could be wrong.

since you want to see it, i'll post it. order at this point seems like pure guesswork, since the margins are so tight & the sample size relatively small. in fact, i'm not sure this is the same sequence that i initially posted before editing.

.

i am fairly sure these are what remain, but i'm very capable of making mistakes!

10 girls & boys (this is the only one where i'd say i'm not reasonably confident)

9 let's go crazy

8 raspberry beret

7 erotic city

6 dmsr

5 1999

4 little red corvette

3 sign o the times

2 if i was your girlfriend

1 when doves cry


Interesting! I won't give anything away. Anybody else have any predictions?

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 04/21/17 2:56am

TheFman

Moonbeam said:

damosuzuki said:

since you want to see it, i'll post it. order at this point seems like pure guesswork, since the margins are so tight & the sample size relatively small. in fact, i'm not sure this is the same sequence that i initially posted before editing.

.

i am fairly sure these are what remain, but i'm very capable of making mistakes!

10 girls & boys (this is the only one where i'd say i'm not reasonably confident)

9 let's go crazy

8 raspberry beret

7 erotic city

6 dmsr

5 1999

4 little red corvette

3 sign o the times

2 if i was your girlfriend

1 when doves cry


Interesting! I won't give anything away. Anybody else have any predictions?


Perhaps i missed it earlier, but alphabet str.?
I dont think dmsr is top 10 and G&B would surprise me as well

[Edited 4/21/17 2:57am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 04/21/17 3:04am

Moonbeam

avatar

TheFman said:

Moonbeam said:


Interesting! I won't give anything away. Anybody else have any predictions?


Perhaps i missed it earlier, but alphabet str.?
I dont think dmsr is top 10 and G&B would surprise me as well

[Edited 4/21/17 2:57am]


"Alphabet St." came in at #47.

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 04/21/17 3:25am

TheFman

Moonbeam said:

TheFman said:


Perhaps i missed it earlier, but alphabet str.?
I dont think dmsr is top 10 and G&B would surprise me as well

[Edited 4/21/17 2:57am]


"Alphabet St." came in at #47.

oh, well D&P in that case razz

edit: nevermind, i just found that one already in the list as well

I give up, i can only think something's missing from either Batman or Symbol albums, but otherwise?

[Edited 4/21/17 3:33am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 04/21/17 9:09am

thekidsgirl

avatar

I like comparing the average score to the number of voters. Wondering if there is any song all 39 of us voted on though. Maybe everyone gave When Doves Cry a 10, and it will be #1.

Damn, Delores pick another subject please...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 04/21/17 9:19am

thekidsgirl

avatar

namepeace said:

Moonbeam said:

  • 35. Adore (1987): 36 votes, 8.87 average, 13.98 points


The voters in this poll, as a whole, felt that there were 34 songs in Prince's catalogue greater than "Adore."

They. Done. Lost. They. Minds.




I love Adore, and still think it is too high on the list for my taste, but I also gave If a Girl Answers (Don't Hang Up) a perfect score, so razz lol

Damn, Delores pick another subject please...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 04/21/17 2:21pm

214

Moonbeam said:

namepeace said:


The voters in this poll, as a whole, found 30 songs in Prince's catalogue better than "Ballad."

They ranked "Paisley Park" above this song AND "Adore."


Well, I for one like "Paisley Park" more than both of those songs by quite a bit. We all have different taste! I didn't complain when my two favorite songs came in at number 82 and 62, respectively. Placing in the top 40 is a big achievement for an artist like Prince! "Adore" wouldn't make my top 500 Prince songs, but it has earned its place in the top 40.

eek eek Do you mean it? why it's so?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 04/21/17 6:11pm

Moonbeam

avatar

214 said:

Moonbeam said:

namepeace said: Well, I for one like "Paisley Park" more than both of those songs by quite a bit. We all have different taste! I didn't complain when my two favorite songs came in at number 82 and 62, respectively. Placing in the top 40 is a big achievement for an artist like Prince! "Adore" wouldn't make my top 500 Prince songs, but it has earned its place in the top 40.

eek eek Do you mean it? why it's so?


It's a little snoozy for the first half of the song. I really like how it picks up toward the end, with the beautiful "you don't know what you mean to me" singing, etc. But he's got a lot of songs in this style that I far prefer. I rate "Adore" a 6.5, so I like it, but I don't love it.

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 04/21/17 6:11pm

Moonbeam

avatar

The top 10. damosuzuki nailed the song choices, though the order was anyone's guess.

  • 10. D.M.S.R. (1982): 34 votes, 9.33 average, 15.38 points
  • 9. Little Red Corvette (1982): 37 votes, 9.24 average, 15.44 points
  • 8. Girls & Boys (1986): 34 votes, 9.35 average, 15.46 points
  • 7. 1999 (1982): 37 votes, 9.27 average, 15.53 points
  • 6. When Doves Cry (1984): 37 votes, 9.28 average, 15.58 points
  • 5. Let's Go Crazy (1984): 37 votes, 9.30 average, 15.65 points
  • 4. Raspberry Beret (1985): 37 votes, 9.31 average, 15.66 points
  • 3. Erotic City (1985): 33 votes, 9.45 average, 15.70 points
  • 2. Sign o' the Times (1987): 37 votes, 9.34 average, 15.79 points
  • 1. If I Was Your Girlfriend (1987): 37 votes, 9.36 average, 15.87 points

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 04/21/17 7:11pm

214

Moonbeam said:

The top 10. damosuzuki nailed the song choices, though the order was anyone's guess.

  • 10. D.M.S.R. (1982): 34 votes, 9.33 average, 15.38 points
  • 9. Little Red Corvette (1982): 37 votes, 9.24 average, 15.44 points
  • 8. Girls & Boys (1986): 34 votes, 9.35 average, 15.46 points
  • 7. 1999 (1982): 37 votes, 9.27 average, 15.53 points
  • 6. When Doves Cry (1984): 37 votes, 9.28 average, 15.58 points
  • 5. Let's Go Crazy (1984): 37 votes, 9.30 average, 15.65 points
  • 4. Raspberry Beret (1985): 37 votes, 9.31 average, 15.66 points
  • 3. Erotic City (1985): 33 votes, 9.45 average, 15.70 points
  • 2. Sign o' the Times (1987): 37 votes, 9.34 average, 15.79 points
  • 1. If I Was Your Girlfriend (1987): 37 votes, 9.36 average, 15.87 points

That song does not deserve to be this high. IIWYGF that's quite a shock, thought WDC would be number one.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 04/21/17 7:13pm

damosuzuki

avatar

Moonbeam said:

The top 10. damosuzuki nailed the song choices, though the order was anyone's guess.

  • 10. D.M.S.R. (1982): 34 votes, 9.33 average, 15.38 points
  • 9. Little Red Corvette (1982): 37 votes, 9.24 average, 15.44 points
  • 8. Girls & Boys (1986): 34 votes, 9.35 average, 15.46 points
  • 7. 1999 (1982): 37 votes, 9.27 average, 15.53 points
  • 6. When Doves Cry (1984): 37 votes, 9.28 average, 15.58 points
  • 5. Let's Go Crazy (1984): 37 votes, 9.30 average, 15.65 points
  • 4. Raspberry Beret (1985): 37 votes, 9.31 average, 15.66 points
  • 3. Erotic City (1985): 33 votes, 9.45 average, 15.70 points
  • 2. Sign o' the Times (1987): 37 votes, 9.34 average, 15.79 points
  • 1. If I Was Your Girlfriend (1987): 37 votes, 9.36 average, 15.87 points

girls & boys was really the only question mark. not that i don't love it, just that my impression is that it's not revered the way most of the other top tier tracks are. if you had told me beforehand that mountains would make the top ten, i wouldn't have questioned that at all, but g&b seems like a very left-field song to sneak in. but again, i don't mean that in a bad way. it's a neat little oddity.

.

& like i said on fb, i think it's very neat that a b-side & a single that didn't make much chart action make up two of the top three slots.

.

& thank you again for all the effort you put into this.

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 04/21/17 7:48pm

gandorb

Some surprises in the top 10, especially that Girlfriend is tops. It is ironic that the song that is almost uniformly mentioned here and elsewhere as a big mistake as his 2nd SOTT single was rated as his best song ever. Perhaps that is why he was so insistent in releasing it then: he valued art over commerce!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 04/21/17 8:17pm

Adorecream

avatar

It is really good that Purple Rain tracks did not land at #1 and #2, and that the two best jams off Sign o the Times after Adore did. If I was ur girlfriend is a perfect favourite, it sums up the mysterious genius Prince was, the gender bending imagery and quirky lyrics work and it has the Prince elements, Funk, spartsity, sex, sillyness, gender bending and some filthy lyrics (I'll drink it down there where it cums).

.

You can say Camille got the better of Prince, as its a Camille track that ended up on SOTT. The 2nd placed song is fully Prince and easily his most serious, thoughtful lyrics about the world being a mess ruined by AIDS, drug abuse, gangsters, fucked priorities, war, death and finally sex is a solution, so Prince and we have some incredible guitars and synths in it, along with his voice.

.

Just loved it, thanks for the ride.

Sign o the Times - 30 years old this month.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince song poll: Results!