independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 21st Feb 2019 8:25am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince with NPG or The Revolution?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/16/10 7:36pm

HisProtege

avatar

Prince with NPG or The Revolution?

I vote for Prince and The Revolution.

What about you?
"I never wanted to be your weekend lover..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/16/10 8:27pm

purplemookiebu
t

avatar

The Revolution

yoda i don't wear a cross?!!? i wear a prince symbol prince guitar wacky nutty I When Prince's cum dries, diamonds are formed. lol eek drooling no one tops prince in concert!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/16/10 8:43pm

jtfolden

avatar

The Revolution. Prince needs W&L for that extra 'spice' on his music.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/16/10 8:44pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Both cool

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/16/10 8:44pm

Spinlight

avatar

Neither. Prince wrote all his best songs alone.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/16/10 9:49pm

Dogsinthetrees

Revolution FTW.

I'm just saying...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/16/10 10:21pm

MajesticOne89

avatar

Spinlight said:

Neither. Prince wrote all his best songs alone.

yeahthat

chill..prince doesnt like men being front row, makes it hard to sing the ballads
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/16/10 10:27pm

JudasLChrist

avatar

Revolution.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/16/10 11:03pm

LuneCerise

avatar

Spinlight said:

Neither. Prince wrote all his best songs alone.

I'm thinking they meant live.

I'd go with Revolution or perhaps a hybrid (with the Girls of course): The New Power Revolution.

Do U Lie?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/16/10 11:04pm

purplemookiebu
t

avatar

i loved rosie gaines but that rapper tony m was terrible. i always skip over his parts be it a cd or a music video...

yoda i don't wear a cross?!!? i wear a prince symbol prince guitar wacky nutty I When Prince's cum dries, diamonds are formed. lol eek drooling no one tops prince in concert!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/16/10 11:05pm

bluefish

avatar

The Revolution, no doubt.

ā€ˇhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvmsrcg1qD_wVuS4qnopmQg
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/16/10 11:13pm

Spinlight

avatar

LuneCerise said:

Spinlight said:

Neither. Prince wrote all his best songs alone.

I'm thinking they meant live.

I'd go with Revolution or perhaps a hybrid (with the Girls of course): The New Power Revolution.

Okay, still neither.

Prince and a guitar/piano/congas/newspaper is infinitely more appealing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/16/10 11:19pm

LuneCerise

avatar

Spinlight said:

LuneCerise said:

I'm thinking they meant live.

I'd go with Revolution or perhaps a hybrid (with the Girls of course): The New Power Revolution.

Okay, still neither.

Prince and a guitar/piano/congas/newspaper is infinitely more appealing.

Yeah, okay.

Do U Lie?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/16/10 11:59pm

Cerebus

avatar

The NPG isn't really a band, it's an umbrella slogan that's mostly used now so Prince can say, "we are the new power generation". I mean, how many different band configurations have been called the NPG now? ...and I'll still take the Revolution. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/17/10 1:44am

lovesexy06

avatar

The Revolution with Rosie Gaines!!!biggrin

Prince once tried 2 change his name 2 a symbol so that ur'e mother couldn't find him in the phonebook!
Peace & Be Wild!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/17/10 4:04am

smoothcriminal
12

The Revolution.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/17/10 4:30am

Chas

avatar

To be fair, there was really only one Revolution, but there have been many NPG lineups. So maybe the question should be the Revolution vs. the 1991 NPG. The Revolution never had anyone as annoying as Tony M. But Sonny T and Michael B are the rhythm section God would choose if he was getting a funk band together.

I think the SOTT/Lovesexy band was his best, but that's just my opinion.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/17/10 4:54am

PurpleChi

avatar

It depends on what I'm in the mood for. The Revolution was raw--the music sounded like it wasn't over-thought--just great musical abilities in each member. The later NPG band configurations--2000 and beyond, took on a more mature, robust sound, which works for some of his songs. So....it appears that I can't decide. They both have great attributes.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/17/10 6:14am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Spinlight said:

LuneCerise said:

I'm thinking they meant live.

I'd go with Revolution or perhaps a hybrid (with the Girls of course): The New Power Revolution.

Okay, still neither.

Prince and a guitar/piano/congas/newspaper is infinitely more appealing.

I like the New Power Revolution

But Prince was always about the image for me along with the music so I need interesting band members. The Revolution/SOTT band always had that for me. Band look was never that interesting after Lovesexy and it get's worse

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 12/17/10 6:20am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Chas said:

To be fair, there was really only one Revolution, but there have been many NPG lineups. So maybe the question should be the Revolution vs. the 1991 NPG. The Revolution never had anyone as annoying as Tony M. But Sonny T and Michael B are the rhythm section God would choose if he was getting a funk band together.

I think the SOTT/Lovesexy band was his best, but that's just my opinion.

I would have love a mixture of the Revulion/SOTT band,

Dr Fink was still there so we still had his skills but I don't think Boni had the orchestral technics and depth in her playing that Lisa Coleman did.

Brownmark was still my favorite over Levi. He had a strong quiet presence

Wendy trumps Mico in the same way, both are good on guitar. But Wendy had songwriting skills that Mico didn't.

I would have loved a combination of Sheila E/Bobby Z. Bobby Z worked the Linn/electric drums well. And I still loved Sheila upfront

of course Atlanta Bliss & Eric

would have rather had Jerome over Gilbert

Cat was just fine.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 12/17/10 6:41am

Elle85n09

avatar

Chas said:

To be fair, there was really only one Revolution, but there have been many NPG lineups. So maybe the question should be the Revolution vs. the 1991 NPG. The Revolution never had anyone as annoying as Tony M. But Sonny T and Michael B are the rhythm section God would choose if he was getting a funk band together.

I think the SOTT/Lovesexy band was his best, but that's just my opinion.

All good points. Prince has surrounded himself with excellent musicians most of the time, however your remark about Sonny and Michael is spot on and funny. razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 12/17/10 7:51am

Graycap23

Spinlight said:

Neither. Prince wrote all his best songs alone.

There it is.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 12/17/10 8:30am

JudasLChrist

avatar

Graycap23 said:

Spinlight said:

Neither. Prince wrote all his best songs alone.

There it is.

Yeah, but he needed a band to execute it live, and to bounce ideas around with. Prince's songs were better during The Revolution. It didn't just happen in a vacuum.

[Edited 12/17/10 8:32am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 12/17/10 8:53am

TwiliteKid

avatar

Chas said:

I think the SOTT/Lovesexy band was his best, but that's just my opinion.

This.

Otherwise, the Revolution.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 12/17/10 8:57am

Graycap23

JudasLChrist said:

Graycap23 said:

There it is.

Yeah, but he needed a band to execute it live, and to bounce ideas around with. Prince's songs were better during The Revolution. It didn't just happen in a vacuum.

[Edited 12/17/10 8:32am]

Live? The NPG by a 1,000 miles.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 12/17/10 9:16am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Graycap23 said:

JudasLChrist said:

Yeah, but he needed a band to execute it live, and to bounce ideas around with. Prince's songs were better during The Revolution. It didn't just happen in a vacuum.

[Edited 12/17/10 8:32am]

Live? The NPG by a 1,000 miles.

1st of all which NPG line up.

2nd Prince's playing of course got better over time, so if the Revolution continued playing with him as a band of course their playing would get better too.

Let's say a particular NPG line up has been playing since 1982 which outside of Wendy Melvoin is when the Revolution was intact (you know what I'm saying)

Say both bands continued till 2010, only by that could we compare the bands as far as their playing skills.

As a band the Revolution ended in 1986 so that's the last we get of them over 20 yrs ago

The Revolution as a band to me executed the album songs much better than any band. When I hear them play the songs it sounds similar to Prince's sound on the album. Prince's sound is pretty distinct.

I will say out of all the band member Lisa Colemans spot has never been filled.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 12/17/10 11:28am

squirrelgrease

avatar

New Power Trio.

If prince.org were to be made idiot proof, someone would just invent a better idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 12/17/10 11:30am

Graycap23

OldFriends4Sale said:

Graycap23 said:

Live? The NPG by a 1,000 miles.

1st of all which NPG line up.

2nd Prince's playing of course got better over time, so if the Revolution continued playing with him as a band of course their playing would get better too.

Let's say a particular NPG line up has been playing since 1982 which outside of Wendy Melvoin is when the Revolution was intact (you know what I'm saying)

Say both bands continued till 2010, only by that could we compare the bands as far as their playing skills.

As a band the Revolution ended in 1986 so that's the last we get of them over 20 yrs ago

The Revolution as a band to me executed the album songs much better than any band. When I hear them play the songs it sounds similar to Prince's sound on the album. Prince's sound is pretty distinct.

I will say out of all the band member Lisa Colemans spot has never been filled.

1992-3 version

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 12/17/10 12:06pm

Spinlight

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

Graycap23 said:

Live? The NPG by a 1,000 miles.

1st of all which NPG line up.

2nd Prince's playing of course got better over time, so if the Revolution continued playing with him as a band of course their playing would get better too.

Let's say a particular NPG line up has been playing since 1982 which outside of Wendy Melvoin is when the Revolution was intact (you know what I'm saying)

Say both bands continued till 2010, only by that could we compare the bands as far as their playing skills.

As a band the Revolution ended in 1986 so that's the last we get of them over 20 yrs ago

The Revolution as a band to me executed the album songs much better than any band. When I hear them play the songs it sounds similar to Prince's sound on the album. Prince's sound is pretty distinct.

I will say out of all the band member Lisa Colemans spot has never been filled.

I don't buy that. The SOTT band did a great job of executing the SOTT album. The 93-96 NPG did a fantastic job of executing the Gold material.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 12/17/10 12:08pm

TheDigitalGard
ener

squirrelgrease said:

New Power Trio.

Good answer.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince with NPG or The Revolution?